Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golfing Goals 2022

• 04-01-2022 1:19pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So to follow on from previous years, what are everyones goals for 2022?

• Fix my driving, and get my accuracy way up. Cost me so many shots last year, and its by far the most unpredictable part of my game.
    • Get my handicap down to single figures.
    • Shoot under 80 again, after only doing it once so far.
    • Win 2 competitions, either club or society.
    • Play some more matchplay
    • Qualify for the Captains, after failing to do so last year.
    • Qualify for the Ryder Jug, after also failing to do so last year.
    • Upgrade my bag, and replace some aging/missing clubs
    • Play some more courses, and maybe find a local Kerry society so i'm not driving all over the place constantly :P
    • Properly use my ShotScope next year, and actually fill in the details post round. Gives pretty useful stats when you actually use it properly.

Post edited by Kiith on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

1. Finish the year lower than I started (17.0 currently, was 18.9 YE 2020)
    2. Properly rehab my elbow injury so I dont have a repeat next winter
    3. Not go out to any of the caps (spent 3-4 months in the cap area last year)
    4. Improve my chipping - dont know how to put a metric on this but I am starting from a low base as barely recovered from the yips I had early 2021
    5. Get a fitting for new irons (possibly wedges and driver too)
    6. Improve my iron play which is by far me weakest part of game

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Missed actually getting any down last year, so might as well strike early and get something down for 2022 now:

• Reduce the handicap (or at minimum, keep my PH at single figures)
    • Improve short game consistency (ie make proper time to practice)
    • Break 80 more than once (done twice in 2021)
    • Break 100 at mystery PGA tour course #1 (TBA)
    • Break 100 at mystery PGA tour course #2 (TBA)
    • Win a Boards Event (none in 2021)
    • Make the Ryder Jug Team
    • Win a Home Club Event (1 in 2021, last weekend of the year)
    • Pick up at least 1 win in Winter matchplay event
    • Get out and enjoy as much golf as I can, and play some more courses that I haven't previously played

Probably far too many there to track, but might as well aim high

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭blue note

So in 2021 I never broke 36 points in a competition and my handicap went up 3 shots. And still I've never been particularly downbeat about my golf, so perhaps my goal for next year should be to have a reality check. But it's not!

I better not focus on handicap, because I don't expect to play enough counting rounds to change it drastically. But I think I'll be able to get some range time in most weeks so I'd love to improve my swing. I don't complete the rotation on the follow through and as a result am prone to a slice. I need to get into the habit of transferring my weight properly and finishing my swing. I set up sitting down a bit and standing too far from the ball. I need to get comfortable standing more upright and closer to the ball. And I lean over slightly which encourages an over the top action. And a shank if I'm standing as close to the ball as I should.

The set up is relatively easy to fix, until I start seeing the ball not going where I want it to. So it would be easy to revert to my current set up. To keep setting up like that will be a challenge when I know I'd see better (immediate) results setting up the other way. Transferring the weight and completing the rotation will be tough. It's fine in my head, but then I get to the top of my backswing and I snatch at the ball, lean out, come over the top and finish facing to the right of the hole.

And also, I'd like to get the handicap down to 15. I don't like going to other courses and having two shots on some holes. Mentally I have not resigned to thinking of myself as a higher handicap golfer, so I think two shots on a hole for me are ridiculous. Even if they're entirely justifiable.

But most important of all - under no circumstances do I want to see my handicap go higher than either of my brothers in law. They're off 25 and 30, so there would be serious change to swap places, but if they improve and I drift out I could be in trouble. If that's a possibility I'll have to take leave from work and commit to the game in a serious way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I’d give one bit of advice on the fitting. If you're not striking your irons well and intend on getting lessons to address it, please do this and work on it before getting fitted for irons! I made this mistake a few years ago, I was never a great iron player and thought that getting fitted for a set would help fix this.

Needless to say it didn’t and when I eventually bit the bullet and went and got lessons to address the issue, I found the set up on the irons I was fitted for no longer suited me. I was actually hitting my older ones so much better!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,339 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Gonna keep it simple again

Play at least 20 counting rounds of golf and try to keep to single figures :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Play more.

With the short year I felt like I played very little,certainly the least amount I've played in a year since starting.

Practice more, I do like to practice but due to not playing alot, more or less "lost" my swing and never got around to getting the lesson I needed to focus my practice. I can still get around near or better than my handicap but felt I was trending down before the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Most my issues are lack flexibility due to drugs I am on. I will never resolve them

I do plan clean it up to where I would be. But I am getting a smash factor of 1.1 on a 7 iron. As for 5 and 6 iron I just feel like there is massive misalignment

11 year old Taylormade Burner OS so will need go smaller I feel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

• get to 5 handicap (currently 8)
    • Break 70 in my home course in a comp ( par 66)
    • Birdie every hole in home course in a comp.
    • Play interclubs
    • Play more golf in Donegal
    • Get back to carne

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

1. Break 90 (so near so often)
    2. Win yearly “friendly” comp with golf buddies
    3. Get an eagle
    4. Get HC index to <=20 (Currently 23)
    5. Place in one club comp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

1. At least 4 counting scores under 80 (Par 70, currently 2 in my counting scores so not sure if I should count it if I mange to add 2 early next year or just aim to have 4 in the 8 by year end, we'll see)
    2. Handicap <9.5 currently 10.3 and think if I can do above it will take care of this.
    3. Commit to putting routine
    4. Get fit into new irons, possibly other parts of the bag.
    5. Play as many boards events as I can
    6. Play more opens (only 1 last year)
    7. Keep a full year of arccos stats
    8. Play at least 1 of the top ten courses in Ireland. Played RCD and Old Head last year so hoping for some of the Kerry courses though also would love to head West or Donegal way for St Patricks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

1) make everything from inside 4feet

2) play with the same golf ball for longer periods of time

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Break80

1. Break 80.

2. Win a boards outing this year. Captains curse is finished so I can relax,be better company and let the golf flow.

3.Be part of the Ryder Jug team to take back the jug from The Reps. It really hurt handing it over to them this year. Bast###s.

4. Get as close as I can to single figures, didn't do myself justice last year, new club, boards Captain, Covid restrictions . This is my last chance with age creeping up I would think.

5. Avoid the plague and get to America to play some bucket list courses at the end of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Consistency, consistency and consistency.

Some days it's easy,everything goes where it's supposed to go and the putts drop.Some other days play like it's the first time I ever picked up a golf club.

It's so frustrating but it's deadly at the same time. Standing on the first tee not knowing whether it's going to be Tiger Woods or Hacker McHackerface.

Realistically,like to consistently shoot between 80 - 85 on a regular basis, well capable of it ( H'Cap Ind 13.1, par 71 ) but there's always some lapse in concentration somewhere where a couple of bad holes wreck the card.

First time to register for the society so hopefully make a few outings.

Best of luck to all in their endeavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Still not sure I'll be joining a club this year as it's getting harder to justify with 2 small bamboons. Goals would be,

1, get the handicap down (currently 17, was once off 10)

2. sort of my Chipping/putting (by far the worst part of my game)

3. Get fitted (maybe it's the clubs that's the problem..)

4. Cut down/out scratches (average round for me would be 3/4 scratches)

5. Break 36 points ( not happened since 2018 all down hill since then)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

2022 Goals

1. get competitive again-golf has been more about getting out than shooting the lights iut
    2. take the handicap back to low singles. Have allowed it to drift so need to fix that
    3. practice chipping. A repeatable stroke that can be relied upon.
    4. make use of the summer. As a teacher there’s no excuses really
    5. win a scratch cup. Off 11 I should be very competitive for intermediates so got to make that count
    6. qualify for the club match play. And once that’s done win the bloody thing. 4 final defeats without a win is too much
    7. win club 4ball with the old man. Neither of us are getting any younger so no time like the present.
    8. play a marquee course that I haven’t played before - Ballybunion hopefully running their scratch cups again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

1. shave 3 shots off my handicap
    2. win the club scratch cup
    3. break 72 x 3
    4. win a team event with my dad

2021 was a huge surprise. I came back after not holding a club in nearly a year and was competitive within 3 weeks of getting back playing competitive golf. My handicap shot up in those first 3 weeks as I played probably 12 competitions in those 3 weeks and then something clicked. My handicap allowed me to be very competitive and I shot 40+ points 5 weeks in a row. Got to where I wanted to be handicap wise by mid summer and won a big competition along the way. Great year all round and really looking forward to putting the foot down his year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭coillcam

1. Sharpen the putting and short game every week.
    2. Drop to single figures from 14.6.
    3. Break 80.
    4. Shoot consistently around 85 at home.
    5. Make 3 birdies in a round.
    6. Birdie every hole at home.
    7. A round with nothing worse than bogey.
    8. Buy a stand bag and go back to carrying more often.
    9. Stop drooling at new equipment.
    10. Play true links golf.
    11. Play abroad.
    12. Win a Sunday comp.
    13. Place in a club major.
    14. Play more variety of comps: teams, matchplay etc.
    15. Have fun, socialize and enjoy the game.

Was absolutely delighted with my 2021. Won a Sunday comp and dropped HC by 6 strokes, would have been 1-2 shots lower if winter comps were counting. Broke 90 several times and won the work society prize. General fitness went to the dogs after a few small illnesses and a sedentary office job routine. Going to get a stand bag and carry a bit more often. Safe to say I won't have as big of a year in 2022 but the most important thing is to enjoy the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Gona use this as a bit of a checklist for the year (hopefully)

1. Break 80

2. Win a club comp

3. Qualify and play in Captains day

4. Qualify for at least one of the singles matchplay, Foursomes or Fourball

5. Reduce hcap from 12.0

6. Have an Eagle

7. Have a chip in

8. Play the par 5s in level par in one round

9. Play the par 3s in level par in one round

10. No double Bogeys or over in a round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

Loads of great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭phelimb

just to be able to play more to be honest...

Oh, and to be confident to use a ProV1 or (<insert premium brand ball here>) on a hole with out of bounds/water/etc. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Sub 7.0 HC Index (Currently 8.6)

Better my Home best score (currently 6+)

Qualify for a club Matchplay

Multiple placings for Club GOY

Have an eagle

• Registered Users Posts: 20,740 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

1) Make the Boards Society year a success and not be too stressed about it - have fun doing it.

2) Hold a handicap of 5

3) Get a par round - or who knows, slip under - a long way from that at present.

4) Have an eagle - a while since I have

5) Back to the North and Donegal - I'm on the final run to finish all the links in Ireland

6) Try win a club comp

7) Win a Winter Matchplay event

8) Don't try win a Boards outing - all bandits in that yolk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Just one "priority" goal for me is to get the handicap index back to single figures again ( currently 10.0). Minor goals are: making the bruen starting team and to be as competitive as possible in the medal competitions. I know I won't win any, but just to make a good shot at beating my handicap each time......

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Simply one goal.

To lower my handicap and if I do not to let it go up at any stage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Join a club, play more, simples really

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭fungie

Started back in summer 2020 after 12 year break. Was given a handicap of 10 initially, been chipping away at it since and down to 5.2. I'd like to be around 3 by end of 2022. I'd also like to break par this year. I shot level par last week so is doable.

Id like to do less interclub this year as did a lot in 2021 which was detrimental to my own game and a massive time commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 frannkie92

Hoping to play more in 2022. Only problem is that my home course seems to be closed more days than not. In the last week it's certainly been closed for a good 5 days at least.

Weekends are a nightmare to get out as well. For most of November and December, there would be a 2 hour frost delay on the Saturday and Sunday, meaning that any tee time after noon was essentially gone. Wondering if this is common with the weather at the moment?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Walk off my course having shot a 79.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

Sure that's easy, just walk off after 15 holes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Neewollah

My Goals for 2022:

• Push WHS Index under 4 (Currently 4.8)
    • Get away foreign for a few rounds. have covered most of Ireland in last 2 years.
    • Win a club monthly medal
    • Get a hole in one
    • Get some lessons as have never had any and think I need them if I'm going to get consistent enough to play off lower handicap
    • Still be married by the end of the year after all my goals achieved 😂

Advertisement