Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Foggy headlight - NCT tomorrow

Options
  • 05-01-2022 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭

So basically it's full of water drops and condensation. Is this is major issue? NCT is re-test for emissions which it failed for last time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Can you use a hairdryer in it to dry it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Is it a re-test within the 28 days? If so they will just check the fail items

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Yes, it is within 28 days. It took me over an hour to dry it out the last time and it only lasted until the next rainy day. I obviously have to remove it and reseal it but I just have no time for it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pron

Old way to dry it out : Open the back cover, turn on the lights - the heat from the bulb should cause the condensation to evaporate and be drawn out to the cooler air outside.

Optionally, add a sachet or two of silica gel inside the back of the headlamp unit ..

Bigger question is, how did it get wet - that's usually a sign of a small crack / split somewhere letting excessive moisture in.

You're right, there is a crack from accident two years ago and it only started fogging up about a week or two ago.

• Advertisement

My bad, NCT retest is outside 28 days, hair dryer is doing the job but it's also raining tomorrow, so I feel this is a futile effort...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

New fashioned way to do it is to fix your faulty car properly.

Everyone can look forward to being blinded by OP for the next year.

A bit of a joke really.

I hate seeing people fail the NCT on frivvilous things, which there are plently of but that lamp deserves a fail. It's badly defective and lets not act like you'll be drying it out the whole time. Would you not even get a second hand lamp, it surely wouldn't be too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Try a shot of dipetane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭10-10-20

There's never been an NCT which couldn't have benefited from an auld shot of dipetane...

Dipetane: Getting old crocks through the NCT since 2001.

I need to take a week off work to get that done because bumper has to come off first to remove the headlight.

You could only guess how long it took me to swap old battery for new earlier today 😂 nothing ever goes to the plan, like never ever.

• Advertisement

Never heard of it until now. Car was burning 1ltr of oil every 1200km before other treatment it got recently, fingers crossed it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭kirving

Painful, but even a bumper off job should just be a half day DIY and a couple of hours for a mechanic. In the short term, silicone (or similar) sealant should help keep the water out. Just make sure both sides are extremely clean using alcohol or similar beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Lazybones

Hope you get sorted for the NCT. Do you mind me asking what treatment you used to address the high oil consumption?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

Tak off the rear rubber dust cover aound the bulbs and leave it off , the moisture will escape out into the engine bay when the lights heat up

It's a PASS!!! I'm celebrating it heavily tonight because I need after all this 😂

The special treatment involves new piston rings and new valve seals and it is prohibitively expensive and has sent many otherwise sound vehicles to the early grave. Result is delightful ten fold fall in CO emissions and another happy year of motoring, although I'm hoping to get at least another 3 years out this car to justify the costs of repairs.

I wanted to go the silicone route yesterday after drying it out , but because nothing ever goes to the plan - the only tube of clear silicone I had, was hardened and I didn't want to use gray or brown... Headlight was dry and clear for the test at least. The bumper removal job is easy for those who have all the tools and some experience, and maybe even a garage to avoid the elements, but I posses none of those, so yeah I'm planning at least 3 days for the job with many hiccups 🤣

Didn't I mention yesterday that after longer than expected battle to get the old battery out, I was only to discover that the new one was in the booth which was locked... I had like 3 meltdowns during all the process, well the good thing is that next time is gonna take those 5 minutes, as it supposed to!

Post edited by j@utis on

Advertisement