Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Death on the Nile ( Kenneth Branagh)

• 19-08-2020 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,273 ✭✭✭✭

Kenneth Branagh returns as Hercule Poirot in his follow up to Murder on the Orient Express with another all star cast.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ha, French & Saunders reunion at 1:13!

I guess the first made enough to warrant a sequel? I enjoyed the first but never thought of it again, its tone very much took its cue from Branagh's moustache. Bombastic and over the top.

Am I wrong in believing this only recently wrapped filming, having been suspended because of YouKnowWhat?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Is that a... double moustache?!

What does it mean :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Now this is something I look forward to seeing. Thought the orient Express was very good. Branagh is worth the price of admission alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I just hope French and Saunders' presence doesn't distract too much... Part of my brain will be telling me this is one of their spoofs. I'd post some examples (Silence of the Lambs, Lord of the Rings), but most seem to be blocked in Ireland. :o:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Was that depeche mode
    ?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Was that depeche mode
    ?!
    Yes - and a very cool version too.
    Just not at all suitable for this trailer. Waaay to contemporary. Tut tut.

Looks very cool though; love an ol' whodunnit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well quite, it better not be on the soundtrack itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭MfMan

I stopped at Russell Brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

pixelburp wrote: »
    Am I wrong in believing this only recently wrapped filming, having been suspended because of YouKnowWhat?

The last part that swipes past the cast as Poirot speaks to them looks very green screened in, so may be because of Covid or cheap ass production saving on getting cast on the same day on location.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Wonder Woman's Gal the mvp star?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭billyhead

Is Murder on the Orient Express worth a watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

billyhead wrote: »
    I enjoyed it; it's kind of camp and stagy, but good fun. I haven't read the book, and I'm struggling to recall whether I've even seen another adaption, so fans of the story may view it differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dmrules

Was that depeche mode
    ?!

This is cool 🤘 Very rare that DM music is used in movies, always a treat 👍

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Poirot was already a fairly broad, almost caricature like figure anyway, but this film ramped up the operatic styling of his series to 11. It's most certainly not David Suchet & the gentle, Sunday afternoon mystery hour, Branagh gouging every last drop of melodrama and bombast from the material. It's thoroughly entertaining for sure, just very Kenneth Branagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭touts

I wasn't expecting much of it based on trailer cast etc. But it was on TV over Christmas and I really enjoyed it. It's basically a stage play with a fancy set. I'd happily watch it again on a rainy Sunday afternoon which is precisely what you want from this sort of film.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

touts wrote: »
    I wasn't expecting much of it based on trailer cast etc. But it was on TV over Christmas and I really enjoyed it. It's basically a stage play with a fancy set. I'd happily watch it again on a rainy Sunday afternoon which is precisely what you want from this sort of film.

I enjoyed Branagh version but for Sunday afternoon watching I'd pick the Albert Finney version.
    Of course my favourite Poirot is David Suchet but I found his TV version of Orient Express a bit over-wrought.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Best version was obviously the Muppets sketch with Jason Alexander as Poirot

Forgot this was a victim of CoVid, but a new trailer has popped up for this ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Know the story far too well and I can't stand Gadot, so will be giving this a swerve.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

It will be canned.

Actor named armies hammer, is a problem for the film company.

• Advertisement

It ain't getting canned if we got a new trailer after being in limbo for so long, but it might get dropped in some terrible weekend for blockbusters, if Hammer is considered box office poison.

Such a big 'all star' cast I don't think Hammer's inclusion will matter, just don't expect him to be doing the publicity rounds or appearing on any trailer or poster etc. any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭siblers

He's very prominently placed on the poster released two days ago

Haha, well, erm, apart from that huge poster.........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I'm surprised he's there in the centre, I thought he'd be omitted from the poster but I'm guessing he must have a fairly major role in the film.

I'd guess he has same role that Simon MacCorkindale had in the Ustinov version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭kerplun k

If the victim has any bites taken out of them it’s obvious who the killer is. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw this last night and its decent enough. I'd watched the 1978 version before Christmas and I thought it was really good, Ustinov and David Niven had a great Bromance going on there. This though, tried to give Poirot a similar buddy but it just doesnt work that well. Its entertaining enough though, some great shots of the Nile at Sunset but also some very dodgy use of green screen which seems very strange. Branagh is really good and I would definitely want to see him again as Poirot. Overall its worth a watch, decent enough viewing if you're planning to hit the cinema for Valentines night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

How was Hammer’s performance? Any scenery chewing?

• Advertisement

They really took every opportunity to make Emma MacKey look as much like Margot Robbie, as possible.

I liked the film. A very easy early Saturday afternoon viewing.

Made all the better that its was an empty theatre, basically a private screening.

Advertisement