Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breathable Reflective Jacket

• 19-12-2021 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I'm looking for a breathable reflective jacket for cycling home from work at night.

I don't mind paying for an expensive one. I prefer good quality.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Answers

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Will you be carrying a bag on your back? Free Rucksack cover from the RSA

Anyhow, I'll throw this in to the suggestion box...

In addition, what I have found helpful on dark rides is to use either a traditional reflective belt from your loocal bike shop or I have used the free armbands from the RSA around my ankles

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭ARX

I've no particular recommendations but Decathlon might be worth a look.

BTW I've been using these for years:

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

one of the most reflective jackets...not sure how breathable they are

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

any half decent gore-tex/event type jackets out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

My old backpack had a built in cover but using a smaller laptop backpack now, this cover will do nicely, cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Because of the way retroreflective materials like Scotchlite, ProViz jackets etc. are made ( a layer of microscopic glass beads immobilised in a resin or plastic film and a vaporised metallic backing), the material can't be breathable in itself the way a Gore Tex membrane is. It is also a problem in the "opposite" direction - extremely breathable materials like Gore-Tex Active cannot be made reflective or even brightly-coloured due to the properties of the base material.

Your options are typically either a breathable jacket with reflective trim or a reflective jacket with lots of vents.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

so how do they make gore-tex hiking jackets with bright colours?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I was looking at these. Very reflective but heard varying reports about their breathability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

The bright colours aren't the membrane. Jackets could be multi layer, with the external coloured porous material and a separate membrane. Or for the bright sections on the single layer Gore One / Gore Active garments, they bond in non membrane material.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭dinneenp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I have an original Proviz gilet and the breathability is dubious, although it does make it a great wear this time of year.

However, I recently took a punt on this and it's fantastic. Zippers everywhere to increase breathability and extraordinarily comfortable and warm. Sign up to their emails and newsletters and you'll probably get 25% off shortly:

https://www.provizsports.com/eu/reflect360-crs-plus-mens-cycling-jacket.html

My wife has one and loves it. But warned me off one for myself as I'm a sweaty Betty even this time of year and thinks I'd be soaked on they inside in one. That said it's rated 10,000 what ever the unit is for breathability and yeah thats borderline for me. I've walking and cycling jackets rated the same and would find a little condensation in them but any lower say 5,000 like one regatta jacket I have or that recent Aldi cycling jacket and I'd be soaked.

Long story short they are great for "normal" people but not for me she thinks, I think she just doesn't want to be jacket twins lol 😂

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I've used Goretex and eVent jackets. When moving and generating heat = condensation/saturation on inside with both those materials. Breathability, as claimed is highly dubious.

Look at Pertex(material) jackets, whilst not waterproof are completely breathable and will force internal moisture OUT when the person is active/generating heat. They will dry in minutes if and when rain stops whilst Goretex /eVent materials will remain soaked internally. Pertex is a great windproof material and completely breathable. Whilst not completely waterproof, will deflect water and will not saturate inside.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Columbia outdry ex and GoreShakedry are the only properly breathable waterproof stuff I have. Everything else is a bit of a compromise on some way though still good.

Colombia don't do cycling stuff though so you'd have to look for their light trail running ones. They have reflective bits on them.

I actually wore both today. Shakedry on bike and the Outdry ex while walking around town

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Breezer

+1 for Goretex Shakedry, it’s the best piece of cycling clothing I own. For its complete waterproofing, wind resistance, and lightweight portability. I sweat in everything, so it’s hard for me to comment on that. The only thing I don’t like is the completely black colour, which occasionally drivers have decided to have a row with me about (in the middle of the day, in summer), but they’ve added yellow bits to the new ones.

But out of interest, can anyone tell me why I’m not supposed to use it with a backpack? I did today, for the first time, and can’t say I noticed much difference. I was perhaps a little sweatier, but as I say, I tend to run hot no matter what I wear, so hard to tell. Is it that it’s less breathable, or is the backpack likely to damage it in some way?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The backpack may damage it after a period of time as it's so thin

Advertisement