Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Long term rental property through Airbnb - should I be concerned?

• 17-12-2021 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭

So, I've been searching for somewhere else to rent (within budget, that accepts dogs) for a while now. I found a cottage in Co. Wicklow on Daft and contacted the owner. They took it down from Daft and we have been corrsponding by email. They are abroad. And they want to let through Airbnb. I asked to view the property before making any payments, but their answer was that they are abroad and that Airbnb deal with it. I presume Airbnb won't be giving me an opportunity to view before paying?

Personally - I want to view before handing any money over. Otherwise it could just be a scam.

Also, long term (1 year +) via Airbnb seems odd. Do you know anyone renting this way? Do you do it? Does it work?

The last email correspondence I had with the landlord was being informed that it was through Airbnb and did I want to go ahead with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

The owner gets some sort of letting insurance by doing it through Airbnb, i think. Might be that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Owner abroad is often the opening part of a scam. Particularly if there's some mention of sending a deposit on somewhre

If legit, the owner may think this gets them out of Part 4 obligations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Yeah. Plus I would hazard a guess they used to let it to tourists through Airbnb, but with COVID we have fewer tourists, so long term rental might just be a different option to continue receiving an income. I presume if this is the case their Airbnb account will have reviews. So once they send me the link I should learn more.

I made it clear I am looking for 1 year minimum rental, and they said they want at least 2 months, but ideally long term rental.

it just doesn’t feel ‘normal’. Then again, my current rental wants cash in hand and doesn’t want it on any official papers that I’m living here. I’ve been here with no contract, just over 2 years. I only expected a few months really. You take what you can get!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭JoChervil

If you rented it in a normal way, you would have to pay taxes for your landlord, if he lives abroad. Why don't you rent it for the first day and pay for it in advance and if you like it, just take it for the year, but if situation change, so the price in a summer time might change as well. I doubt you would want to pay for the whole year in advance to secure the price.

Yes, that’s why I really want to see the inside (and that they have keys!) before making any payment. I mean, surely they have a local contact with a key! But they said no, it’s all done through Airbnb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Scammy McScamface, run rabbit run!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭chicorytip

"It's all done through Airbnb". This part makes no sense. Airbnb is not a letting agent, merely a facilitator. There has to be a locally based keyholder or caretaker of some sort or at least you would expect so particularly given the owners live abroad. The fact that they cannot give you that information is very odd indeed, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Are they saying you can’t see it until you’ve paid two month’s rent? That’s very dodgy though I would think that if you go through Airbnb you works have some protections from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Scam written all over this. Who in their right mind would hand over two months rent before seeing if it's suitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Common enough scam dont fall for it

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

Ah here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Has the property been listed in AirBnB?

Can you search and find it yourself in AirBnB?( not via a link sent to you)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

That was a fairly popular scam a couple of years ago..probably someone in the house unaware it's listed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Raichu

OP - this is a scam a very common rental scam no less.

the owners abroad, can’t show you but trust me it’s great, trust me, air bnb also never show you properties or indeed manage them.

imagine they’d told you daft.ie will show you around? You’d rightly have alarm bells ringing.

you said something feels off about this OP and you’re correct and it’s time to stop engaging with this person. It’s a scam you WILL lose money. Do. Not. Engage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Trust your gut.

It's possible they have a local agent who maintains/cleans the property. I recently stayed in a place where this was the set-up (owner lived out of state). Any problems, I had to contact the agent who then contacted the owner who reverted to the agent. Most unsatisfactory.

Your first mistake was engaging with them away from the Airbnb portal. Disengage immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have you talked to them on the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭meijin

typical scam; I got it before... googled photos - they were from London 🙄! while the address in the email was in Dublin

the "airbnb" site is most likely hosted on google drive, or some other place, not official site

Thanks everyone for your comments. I’ve not heard from them since Thursday. I feel it’s most likely a scam. I promise, I won’t pay to rent anywhere without seeing it first.

….If anyone knows of anywhere in south Dublin or east Wicklow with decent rent that’ll accept a dog, do share! Oh, renting in Ireland 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 28,304 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What's the feedback for the property like?

Could you book it just for one night to inspect it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭Caranica

The best way to find a place that will accept dogs is word of mouth. Network, neighbours, local shops, sports clubs, schools.

The problem in the current market is that demand outstrips supply and given the choice between a pet owner and a non pet owner, almost every landlord will pick the non pet owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Sham Squire

Resurrecting this thread as I've just been contacted with the same scam. Any way to get this bastard in trouble? I'm angry that they've tried to take advantage of desperate renters but I'd be furious if they managed to scam someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

if you have the time, wreck their heads with supposed incompetency, they will stick with it to the bitter end if they think there is money comming. Had a computer version of same spend 2 hours before trying to talk my 84 year old grandaunt through turning on the PC :)

Once they are out of state not much can be done id imagine, however speak to the guards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

had a similar issue with a crowd called rentberry - as they're out of state, nothing the guards can do :(

Advertisement