Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leader Of The (Mid) Pack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Was very jealous indeed to see my strava feed full of friends doing that inaugural! It's a nice spot, one to tick off the list if I get up over Christmas, especially if they use the XC course - could you run it in spikes?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Current version, overall I don't think so. Spikes would be fine on the grass, but then you're finishing the lap on the old country lane that runs from Abbotstown House past the back of St Francis Hospice and down to the Tolka. Even in runners, that road surface isn't great. I'm not certain how much of the XC course they plan to include in future. I'll be interested to see what they come up with nonetheless !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

You just reminded me I saw a young lad running Marlay parkrun last weekend in a pair of football boots, not quite the same as spikes but can't have been all that comfortable!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I passed a fully grown man running in football boots at a BHAA cross country race once!

Well I actually got five runs in this week. Who'd have thought ?

Mon 25/10 - Rest

Tue 26/10 - 3.95 miles @9:08/mi

Out to the far end of Laurel Lodge and back.

Wed 27/10 - 4.00 miles @9:02/mi

Up through Clonsilla, right at Lidl, right again onto Ongar Road, right back towards home.

Thu 28/10 - 4.30 miles @8:48/mi

The third pre dawn run in a row. A wet start got wetter as I trundled around the Carpenterstown loop.

Fri 29/10 - Rest

Sat 30/10 - Marlay parkrun

I decided to run this one to clear up a longstanding anomaly. I ran here in April 2015, but my barcode didn't scan, hence I wasn't officially listed as running it. Time to put that one to rights and ensure I've officially run all 24 Dublin parkruns. Beautiful sunny morning after all the rain. Shortish warmup and stretches. I found a spot way back and didn't try to shove my way through the crowd, rather letting it separate out on the hill. After that I passed a lot more than passed me. Long downhill for most of km 2. Going around the concert field brought back a few fun memories. Back into the forest again, and I resisted the temptation to race a little kid who seemed to have chosen me as a rival for the last mile or so. Overall my energy levels were better this morning, and the time was better than expected too, FWIW. 22:56, 74/354, 11th M45.

Sun 31/10 - 10.20 miles @9:06/mi

Earlyish start made easier with the extra hour in bed. Parked by the Papal Cross and went on 90 minutes plus of meandering, passing scotindublin's Donore and friends bus not long after I started. Very near the Jingle Bells finish, interestingly enough. For a change I left PP at Conyngham Road, left around the CCJ and up Infirmary Road. Instead of going back into PP there I continued onto NCR to Hanlon's Corner, up towards and along Navan Road, before coming back into PP at the Hole In The Wall. I felt quite good for most of it - my first double figures stint since September 19. With the Clontarf HM less than four weeks away, it was important to get some more time on the feet. Thanks for reading! J.

• Advertisement

Mon 1/11 - Rest

Tue 2/11 - 4.04 miles @9:27/mi

The clocks going back means that there's an extra bit of daylight before work, for a brief period anyway. I took advantage to shoot up to Porterstown for two laps of the Doyle Cup XC course.

Wed 3/11 - 4.40 miles @8:36/mi

Thu 4/11 - 4.30 miles @8:57/mi

Both of the above were twice around the same Ratoath village loop, plus out and back. For some reason, anticlockwise measured 0.1 miles shorter according to Strava. One second difference in the time taken to complete them, mind 😁

Fri 5/11 - Rest

Sat 6/11 - Royal Canal parkrun, Kilcock

This was one that I'd been intending to run for a very long time. I arrived shortly after 9 o'clock, for a warmup of under a mile, out to the bridge and back. Few stretches and I was (kind of) ready to go. Course is straightforward as it gets, out (towards Enfield) and back along the canal towpath. I kept a steady enough rhythm on the way out in very windy conditions, passing a guy in an FC Copenhagen (ruined my birthday!) jersey early on, and following the 2nd and 3rd F most of the way to the turn. There was an another lad in an orange top ahead, who moved to the right (nearly being knocked over by the third placer) and tried to surge as the women passed. It didn't work for him. I reckoned he would try the same with me. I caught him about 200 metres before the turn, and lo and behold he tried the same trick. I kept dancing to my own tune if you like, giving myself a massive turning circle 😄 and starting back down the long straight. That was the end of Orange Top. I didn't bother trying to catch the women, and in fact I didn't pass anyone coming back. Coming in there was a lot of crosswind to deal with. A guy passed me early in the last km, before we went under the bridge. Bit of a spurt towards the end, to see could I get under 22. Well what do you know, I actually did it. 21:57, 21/146, 2nd M45.

My fastest 5k this year. Right, so the bar's very low at the moment, I agree 100%. Still time for improvement in a lot of areas before consecutive race Saturdays. I picked this parkrun more with Clontarf HM (out and back, very windy) in mind than Jingle Bells. Good choice IMO. I'll be back to this one. No doubt.

Sun 7/11 - 10.5 miles @8:41/mi

For the first time in lord knows, I ran on a Sunday morning with clubmates. Six of us set off from White's Gate at 8, for a mostly trail route on the western side of Chesterfield Avenue. Back to base with 7 miles completed, but I wanted to finish in double figures, so I took to the trails over towards the Hole In The Wall, and back around the American ambassador's residence to make up the difference. Like I say, having company makes a big difference, especially in the strong winds on our way back up Chesterfield. Delighted to have the 10 done. Thanks for reading. J.

Not much to update this week. 164 finishers in Kilcock BTW. It was parkrun 146 for me.

Mon 8/11 - Rest

Tue 9/11 - 4.02 miles @8:38/mi

One I've done a few times in the morning. Left at Clonsilla roundabout for a 2 mile loop, back over Porterstown bridge and home.

Wed 10/11 - No running

Thu 11/11 - 0.74 miles @7:40/mi

This was supposed to be the club session from Abbotstown last night. For me, this entailed a lunchtime trip to Porterstown. One mile warmup, few stretches and into the session.

Planned :- 2 x (3 x 800), 200m jog recs, 2 min between sets.

Actual:- First one, not bad. 3:29, although the second lap was a good bit slower. Jog recovery with our Munich marathon man (doing a few easy solo miles), then start the second rep. Just under 100m in I felt the hamstring tightening again, so I pulled the plug straight away. Really frustrating.

Fri 12/11 - Rest

Sat 13/11 - Sport Ireland Campus parkrun

Thursday's session snafu meant that there would be no fast paced effort here. I'd originally planned to go to Finglas to run the Tolka Valley parkrun, but I was a bit stuck for time, so I went to Abbotstown instead. With over half the lap on grass, less pressure on the legs, although the country lane back to Abbotstown House was hard work at times. A neighbour went by me early in the last lap, but luckily even that wasn't enough to get my competitive streak into gear this morning. This was my 147th parkrun. 26:39, 37/91, 5th M45.

Sun 14/11 - 5.41 miles @9:00/mi

Back to White's Gate for 8, with six of us heading away - not the same six as last week though, and a different route, but mostly on grass again. Quite comfortable with the pace until we went over the Munich hills, when my lack of fitness and mileage began to tell. From there I was struggling to hang on, although I was very grateful that the lads waited for me. It was a great help to have the company on the way back up, as we passed the early arrivals for the Remembrance Run taking place later.

Not sure if or how I'm going to be able to make the Clontarf/Jingle Bells double work. Strange as it may seem, I think I've a better chance of completing Clontarf at a slow pace than being competitive over a fast 5k. No hamstring issues this morning. Hopefully next week will bring some improvement, although I might have to leave out the speedwork. Thanks for reading. J.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

What was the effort for those 800s ? A mile probably isn't enough time for the body to get warmed up for 800s. I'd want a good 15 minutes minimum plus all the activations, drills, and strides. I know time can be a factor too.

Ha, I was planning to go to Abbotstown, but like you, time (ie getting out of bed) was a factor and I ended up in Fairview.

Thanks S, definitely not anywhere near flatout but a pretty decent effort level. Running out of light to do these sessions in the morning or evening, so lunchtime running is a last resort as regards sessions, with all the time constraints that brings. Not stretching enough is an ongoing thing with me - if I'm racing or running a hard parkrun I'll put a lot more time into them, otherwise not so much.

• Advertisement

Nice one, I haven't been back to Fairview since their inaugural event. I may head there or to St Annes this week. If I can get organised early enough, that is 😁

Mon 15/11 - Rest

Tue 16/11 - 3.64 miles @8:56/mi

Easy laps around M50 Park, putting the spotlights to use.

Wed 17/11 - 4.04 miles @9:01/mi

IMO it would have been foolish to try a session today. I went up to Porterstown for two laps of the Doyle Cup course instead.

Thu 18/11 - 4.19 miles @8:45/mi

A slight variation on a regular Laurel Lodge/Roselawn loop. Nice breeze on the way back.

Fri 19/11 - Rest

Sat 20/11 - St Anne's parkrun

I knew I hadn't run this parkrun in a very long time, since April 2017 actually. That was on the temporary course. Much to my surprise, the last time I'd run it over this course was way back in January 2015, before collecting my race number for the Raheny 5. Glad to change that! Arrived in plenty of time, not as many familiar faces around as I was expecting. Chatting to DF The Ref beforehand - he will be refereeing the county football final on TG4 later, for those of you with an interest in Dublin GAA. Speaking of which, I spotted the great Jack McCaffrey during the briefings. However, RedRunner and I were in agreement that he'd blotted his copybook by wearing an Arsenal jersey 😄

As for the run itself, myself and R started way back. I slowly worked my way up through the field, not putting too much pressure on at any stage. 11:56 for the first half, called out by timekeeper Mrs Mc. Not too bad, I'm thinking. See can I pick it up a bit more. I can. Few more picked off on the second lap, including one of the true St Anne's stalwarts, with well over 300 parkruns under his belt. Keep it steady on the home straight, don't overdo it. See Jack Mc walking on the far side of the avenue. Serves him right for his poor choice of attire 😉 No sprint finish - I'd enough of a gap to a few lads sprinting in behind me anyway. 23:02, 97/388, 12th M45. A nice progression run.

Sun 21/11 - 5.16 miles @8:50/mi

Early start on this cold, sunny morning, with a few frosty patches on the grass. Four of us headed away from White's Gate for a trail based run. Bit tired today. I'd planned to hit double figure mileage, but possibly the sensible decision was made to cut it short.

So less than a week to go to my first race in almost 21 months. Well, officially anyway. I don't think I'm in the right shape to chase a half marathon PB, unfortunately. Which is a pity, because if training had gone well I'd be gunning for it. Not this time. Thanks for reading! J.

Mon 22/11 - Rest

Tue 23/11 - 4.03 miles @8:55/mi

Easy around Clonsilla and Ongar Road. I thought I was doing well starting as early as I did, until Applegirl popped up on my feed with a 5:59 AM start 😄

Wed 24/11 - 3.97 miles @9:01/mi

Doyle Cup laps in Porterstown.

Thu 25/11 - 4.18 miles @9:21/mi

A chilly one to start the day. Once around the Carpenterstown loop, by which time I had sufficient light to go to Porterstown for a short shuffle.

Fri 26/11 - Rest

Sat 27/11 - Clontarf Half Marathon

Pre Race

Had I been fit, I'd have been at the very least targeting a course PB (1:39, Nov 2014). However, with training have gone so poorly in recent times - no speed session since mid October - expectations were revised majorly downward. Rather than risk doing more damage to my hamstring, I built up my parkrun tally to 148 and counting. In spite of the shorter distance, very few of those miles were even close to my old HMP.

Diet has been fairly wretched in recent months too. Sometimes that can happen when you've a sick wife. She's doing very well, mind you - great to have someone with such a positive attitude to it all 😊 In addition, we had a death in the family this week. On more than one occasion I considered not travelling to Clontarf, but in the end I drove across on a very cold and windy Saturday morning, for my first race in 20 months and 20 days.

Race

This was my seventh time to take the start for this event. The first was my very first half marathon, way back in July 2013. However, my last Clontarf Half resulted in a DNF, on a scorching July day in 2018, when the energy just gradually drained out of my legs.

Kms 1-4

"Relax.

Take Your Time"

I started somewhere between the 1:30 and 1:40 pacers, just because I wanted to get going. I felt comfortable heading for the wooden bridge, mindful of not blowing up early. In fact, I saw a lad walking back from the Bull Wall (less than 2.5k). Heading for the beach now, and Fletch and his merry band of 1:40 pacees caught up to me at the start of the sandy section. In spite of his prompting, I declined the offer to tag along, preferring to dance to the beat of my own internal drum. It would have felt so easy to just jump onto that bus at the time ! Through the soft sand and onto the beach itself for the first time.

4K-Turn

There was a crosswind on the beach, which added to the softish sand made for difficult enough running conditions. I let the large 1:40 group push on, resisting the temptation to get into a battle with anyone else who caught up to me either. At the end of the beach, a Cru girl caught up to me, and we ran together for a bit before she pulled clear on the causeway road. Strong wind on this stretch, I took some water on board and made sure I got the bottle in the bag, before picking up the pace a tiny bit on the path towards Sutton. Nice to see the leaders coming down the other side. I hadn't realised Lambay island was running - needless I say I didn't spot him whizzing by me. 52:14 at the halfway point, opposite Sutton Park.

Turn Back To Beach

If anything we seemed to have the breeze at our backs on the way in. I saw a good few people I knew as I made my way home. Not feeling under any real pressure as we turned away from the Tree Of Life and back up the causeway road. With roughly 4 miles to go, I took more water on board, knowing the real "race" would soon be beginning.

Beach To Finish

The 15k mark was reached just after we exited the soft sand and got onto the beach itself. The crosswind was that strong you could see the sand being blown into the sea. Don't start trying to race now ! Although just a little over 2k, this stretch seems really long coming back, with a stream of runners along its length. No panic. 16k. Pass the 5k (from the start) marker. Sure only a parkrun left. Still glad to clear the sand a little bit after 17k. Well after the jabs along the beach, now came the big right hooks, as we turned into the full force of the breeze heading back to the promenade. WOOOOOOFFFFF! Nearly getting sent backwards along here. Stay relaxed, only 2 miles to go now! Over the wooden bridge and turning left at last. Not long more. Roughly around 19k, the 1:45 pacees, led by Killerz, caught up to me. In among them was clubmate Denis, who I hadn't seen at all, and hence I didn't think he'd turned up. I didn't even bother trying to tag onto him from there - he actually took a minute out of me in the homeward stretch. Just making sure I finish now, keeping my promises to myself not to race anyone and just do my own thing. 20k. Past the old Clontarf Baths. Scoil Ui Chonaill GAA across the road, just a few minutes to go. Grand, there's the finish, and in spite of everything, I'm going to make it this time. 1:46:30 chip time, for a 2 minute positive split - less than I imagined it was. Not that it really mattered today.

Way way back, when I joined the DCM Novices thread in 2016, I mentioned that one of my uncles ran the Dublin City Marathon, in the early days when the race passed our house - 1983 to be precise. The same uncle died this week. I had him foremost in my thoughts as I crossed under the gantry.

Sun 28/11 - 3.65 miles @10:40/mi

Back to Porterstown, for some recovery running on the grass. Again, pace was irrelevant - I walked and talked with one of the Porterstown Panthers for part of my last lap. Just nice to get moving again. Next up, I'm entered in Jingle Bells. Hope to see some of you there. Thanks for reading! J.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

My sincere condolences on the passing of your uncle may he RIP. Good to hear your wife is in good spirits, a positive attitude goes a long way🤗

Well done on completing Clontarf, not always easy when there's other stuff going on.

Hopefully see you on Saturday 🎄🎅

Disciplined run there, J, well done. Passed the start area on the way out to St. Anne's and didn't envy the Clontarf runners with the cold wind.

Condolences on the loss. Wasn't aware of your wife's illness, hope all well. See you next week, hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Sorry to head of your uncle's passing J, well done on you run and you ran a great time all considered.

Best wishes to your wife with her illness. I am hoping for better days for you and the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well done Jason. You knocked out a very solid run in what sounds like pretty awful conditions!

Condolences on the passing of your uncle, may he rest in peace. It sounds like he was a great inspiration to you. Running Dublin marathon in the 80s is pretty impressive, different times to today (excuse the pun!). Wishing your wife well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Well done at the weekend J especially under the circumstances.

Hopefully catch up with you on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Well done. Fair play for making it out. Sorry to read about your loss.

I only decided to run myself at 07.30am that morn. I think I may have caught a fleeting glimpse of an MSB singlet , attached to a person with immaculate hair near the halfway turnaround🙂

Thanks for all your very kind words, really appreciated ! Wifey reads here from time to time, so I'm not the only one who sees them 😀

@ariana` yes vastly different being a marathoner in those days, a lot less people doing them, and the course was harder in the early days than the modern version. I'm pretty sure that was the only one he did. Of course I'd no idea at that time that over 30 years later I too would run a marathon, in another country !

Four days later, I still feel like I made the right call not to go chasing a fast time in Clontarf. Aside from the fact that I'm down to be "racing" again on Saturday, I couldn't justify it off so little quality training in recent times.

@Lambay island sorry I missed you. "Immaculate" is a rather generous description of my hair btw 😄

Still on course (kind of) for Jingle Bells. My first ever 5k, nine years ago today. Great that it's back on the old course - I might have a bit of momentum carrying me down the hill, if nothing else works out. See ye later.

• Advertisement

Mon 29/11 - Rest

Tue 30/11 - 3.59 miles @9:03/mi

Early morning twice around the Carpenterstown loop, with DOMS still lingering in my thighs. Imagine I'd done the HM at full throttle.

Wed 1/12 - 4.41 miles @9:02/mi

I started my December running with a few "parklaps". Starting with M50 Park, back up to Tír na nÓg, and from there down to the hotel and across to Porterstown, for a parkrun lap before heading for home.

Thu 2/12 - 3.95 miles @9:07 /mi

A rare (of late) evening run this time. Just out to the far end of Laurel Lodge and back.

Fri 3/12 - Rest

Sat 4/12 - Jingle Bells 5k, Phoenix Park

Pre Race

A week on from the HM, I wasn't feeling any niggles as I drove over to the Papal Cross car park. I got there around 8 (9:30 start time), thereby securing a place at the front of the loo queue 😁 Back to the car for a while before clubmates started arriving. While stretching I got talking to an aul lad from DSD, who told me he hadn't run this race since 2005, on a different route. It was my sixth time to take the start. The first was my first ever 5k, back in 2012, on an identical route to yesterday's. We went once around the Acres triangle before getting rid of the layers, then a few strides before going to the start on the Acres Road. Nice to see ReeReeG, Murph_D and FBOT here. In the starting pen, I was deliberately a good bit back. Quick catch up with AMK - attired in his black racing singlet - and I also briefly met Healy, while he was triple knotting his laces. Spotted V again, along with Omeceron and coogy, while waiting for the starting gun.

Breeze seemed to be more at our backs heading towards the Phoenix roundabout. As I say, I was miles back, about maybe 20 yards back from a group of clubmates. I should have caught up to them at least, but instead took my time getting through the usual people starting way out of position. Little bit of a drag here - you might say the biggest uphill section on the course.

Left at the roundabout, with a crosswind as we headed up Chesterfield Avenue. I was on my own, with the clubmates in a big group about 50 yards ahead. Two years ago I would have busted a gut to tag on. Yesterday I just plodded along while being buffeted side on by the breeze.

The third km started somewhere between the Furze Road junction and the Castleknock roundabout. Little bit of a drop before turning left at the roundabout and heading for the Ordnance Survey. Straight into the wind here. Still out on my own getting the brunt of it, while passing one or two here and being passed by one or two there.

Between OSI and the crossroads, we started into the fourth km. A clubmate pulled up alongside, while another clubmate went by as we went around the lefthander. I didn't bother trying to stay with her. A mile to go. How long at this pace ? 7 minutes ? Surely I can pick up the pace above the Furry Glen. I usually struggle racing this road in the opposite direction, so by extension I should fly it here. Not so. There's the 4 km marker. Exactly where scotindublin left it.

Empty the tank. Go on. Nearly all downhill. Loads of targets. Whatever. With about 500m left, if even that, C pulled ahead a bit. If nothing else that should have been my signal to get the hammer down - just for two minutes. I did nothing really. Even the last little run into the finish didn't bring any change of pace. Under the gantry at 22:30 or so. Finished.

Post Race

Lots of Boardsies around the finish area, both "old" and new, including Murph D, annapr, ReeReeG, aquinn, mister paul, Laura and Omeceron. Nice to see all of them, as well as finally meeting Lambay island and the latter day Boards legend that is Laineyfrecks. Some very good runs in there - well done them. As for me, well 22:31 (22:05 chip time) pretty much says it all. One of those days where I felt almost totally disengaged from what was going on around me in the race itself. Usually you'd feel tired and sore after a 5k race. This time I didn't feel anything. I've put more effort into a lot of my parkruns, and in fact I didn't even beat my fastest time of 2021 (21:57, Kilcock parkrun). Walking back up to the cars with coogy afterwards, I spoke of the old HTFU that OOnegative, Singer, and others on here used to talk about. It seems I've completely lost that, for now at least. Nice mug though. Thanks to scotindublin and his merry band of elves for organising 👍️

Sun 5/12 - 5.18 miles @9:42/mi

I got to White's Gate at 8, for a solo run. Initially, I thought I might do a lap of the Park perimeter, but the slippiness of the paths forced an early change of plan. I was literally tiptoeing across roads and pathways for fear of being upended. The trails were in good nick though, a bit of give but not too heavy. Back at White's Gate, I had a quick chat with our representative in next week's Euro XC. A great honour for him and our club - the first to represent Ireland at that kind of level since John Coghlan I think. After that, I said hello to another group who were gathering for their post race recovery runs, including The Man In Black. Delighted to congratulate him in person on his PB, before I drove home to shower and put on some warmer clothes.

Next

Next Saturday will be parkrun 149, at a location to be decided, followed by my 150th, in Porterstown on the 18th. The Doyle Cup XC 6 mile handicap (December 19) will give me an opportunity to finally give my cross country runners an airing, a year after I bought them ! Thanks for reading. J.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Lovely to finally meet & chat to you too, those curls are a thing of envy😉😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Thanks for the kind words J, I think things ran pretty smoothly yesterday. If it was this morning it may have been a different story.

Ah thanks E, same to yourself 😀 this time I was a long way behind the elf. Five months work gone into the curls, nice to get a bit of recognition for my efforts 😄

Absolutely C, everything went seamlessly organisation wise from my own experience - the run was crap but of course that was nothing to do with ye.

Yes a 9:30 start this morning would have been very problematic - there was a lot of frost even around 9 when I finished my stint, so much so that I was telling anyone who I thought might listen to head for the trails. FWIW I doubt if the OPW would have been too favourably disposed to a request to delay the race. Glad we got better racing conditions!

Back to more normal stuff, after two "racing" weekends in a row.

Mon 6/12 - Rest

Tue 7/12 - 3.53 miles @9:27/mi

Two pre dawn Carpenterstown loops. Very windy, but nothing like the apocalyptic weather conditions being trumpeted in advance (again).

Wed 8/12 - 3.51 miles @8:53/mi

More wind out there, as I trundled down to M50 Park for a few early laps.

Thu 9/12 - 4.39 miles @9:11/mi

Two of what I'm now calling Stingray laps around Ratoath. Early, before the school traffic kicked in.

Fri 10/12 - Rest

Sat 11/12 - Darndale parkrun

A drive of roughly 30 minutes to Darndale in the rain mightn't be everyone's dream start to Saturday, but it worked for me this time. I'd run this parkrun once before, back in October 2017, along with several other Boardsies. This was only their third run back post parkrun shutdown. The attendance on this occasion was significantly boosted by a sizeable group of Raheny Shamrocks parkrun tourists, with Mister Drak among them. Nice to chat to him out there. Even though he's just back from Lanzarote, the tan isn't a patch on AMK's 😁 Darndale parkrun is a three lap affair, where you follow the arrows - although The Ref missed a turn near the end of the third lap. It was nice to have a few to run with, as normally at my pace I'd be running alone in this one. I passed a few back on the second and third laps, although one or two did reel me in towards the finish, as I nearly went over after stepping on a patch of wet grass. Not a particularly fast course (although mostly flat) due to a few sharp bends and a twisty section around the lake. Also, it's a bit on the long side, not that it mattered to me. 22:40, 15/41, 1st M45. I was a bit sceptical about that age category stat, and I was right. Not only were most of those who finished ahead of me older, it transpired that I was the only man running between 45 and 49 years of age 😀 Nice to be back there, for my 149th parkrun.

Sun 12/12 - 5.75 miles @8:35/mi

Life stuff meant no early run today, and bar the mixed relay, I haven't watched any of the Euro XC races at the time of writing. I'll get my teeth into those over the next couple of days. Young Scott Fagan did very well for himself with a 21st place finish, and seemingly if there were four to score (he was our 4th finisher), Ireland would have won the team gold.

Slightly less drama in my own run. Back to Ratoath, for a few more miles before the darkness set in. Breezy enough out there at times, but other than that not really anything worth reporting.

Next

The final weekend before Christmas 2021 has a Porterstown double header in the script. On Saturday, I'll be running my 150th parkrun. Hope to see some of you there. Sunday brings the MSB Doyle Cup XC race, a 6 mile handicap event in which I finished 3rd the last time I ran it (2018). Needless to say, that sort of outcome is unlikely to be repeated next week, unless I get an extremely favourable handicap. I'm closing in on 1000 miles for the year, but the week of Christmas is the most likely time for that milestone to be reached. After the Doyle Cup, it'll be time for something old, or maybe something new ! Stay tuned 😉 Thanks for reading! J.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Cheers J, just catching up. Great to say Hello again...

I do agree that the course is a bit long (I had 3.15), and not the fastest either with the sharp turns etc. We were just showing a bit of love to the organisers up there as they are finding it difficult to attract runners each week...

Anyway we hope to get out to Poterstown (and say hello) in Jan for a Parkrun, with Fr Collins this week and probably Home run on Xmas Day...

Only four days running this week....bit of a mixed bag !

Wed 15/12 - 4.33 miles @9:06/mi

I started this one just after 7:30 AM, the "usual" stingray laps around Ratoath. Early in the second lap, I was turning towards the village, when a kid on a bike comes whizzing around the corner - on the path, for the sake of clarity. Had I arrived there a second earlier, the rest of this week's update could have been very short! Not a word out of him, on he went.

Thu 16/12 - 4.31 miles @9:01/mi

Staying in Ratoath, but this time looping anticlockwise, and starting nearly half an hour earlier than the previous day's stint. Thankfully no near misses to report on this occasion.

Fri 17/12 - Rest

Sat 18/12 - Porterstown parkrun

After a late (nearly 1 AM) night drinking and playing poker, I didn't feel in shape to even chase a 2021 PB. Hence, I found myself a spot in the middle of a larger than expected crowd. Off I went, Santa hat and all, taking in the applause along the way. It's taken me over 8 1/2 years, but still I was delighted to reach the parkrun mini milestone of 150 before the end of the year. I didn't really pick up the pace at all, but even so, as I finished I let out a roar that Gerwyn Price would have been proud of ! 24:28, 23/92, 3rd M45.

Sun 19/12 - MSB Doyle Cup XC, Porterstown Park

Typically taking place the weekend before Christmas, the Doyle Cup is an old Metro competition going back to the 1930s. Nowadays over 6 miles in Porterstown Park, it's a longer distance than most of our lads would be used to. Three of the gang had a two minute gap before the next five, myself included, set off for four and a bit laps. I shot out quickly, with the aim being to set a strong tempo that I could hopefully maintain. I'd a decent lead over the rest of the group as I rumbled through the four fields. One lap completed, and one of the coaches gave me a shout as I passed. What he didn't know was that I was already shot. Up the drag to start lap 2, and downhill to the finish, three laps remaining. I stayed ahead of two of the lads for most of the first field, but going into the second - joining the "short hill" we sometimes do sessions on - physically and mentally I'd had enough. I stepped off at the top of the hill, and walked back to the finish to put my layers back on. Had I been able to maintain the pace I started with, I would have won. Octavio, who started with me, overtook Ronan O on the penultimate corner, but John Coghlan ran him down with less than 50 metres remaining. A first Doyle Cup for John, with Eamonn presenting the cup today. As for me, I could only wonder what might have happened had I raced to 2021 fitness levels, rather than those of 2018/2019. Staying in our group might have been a good start on that one. You forget how long that XC distance is, when you haven't run it in three years.

Next

I'm not sure whether I'll get a chance to run a Christmas Day parkrun this time. For the first time since parkrun came to Ireland, Christmas falls on a Saturday, and hence there's a lot more Christmas parkruns than usual this year. Other than that, mainly easy/recovery next week, I think. Happy Christmas to all of you and yours. Thanks for reading ! J.

Congrats on the 'mini milestone'. Re the Doyle Cup, I don't recall you stepping off before. Is that a first?

• Advertisement

Advertisement