Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smart Tariff Unit Rates

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

I was the same as you, they switched mine to a day/night meter without issue, I was mid contract rather than renewing.

6.96kwp South facing

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

How long ago was that and which company put the request through for you? Maybe it has changed but no utility company would offer me a day/night rate that was akin to the old circa 6-7 cent per unit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭jkforde

giving up on the smart metering, ordered my D\N meter today (primarily for BEV charging during the coming winter months), can always order a smart meter if the regulators ever wake up and enforce a proper smart market 😩

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Wish I would have done that, rushed to get the smart one in place for FIT that came in July.... tossers the lot of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I'm of the same opinion, that its all technically possible just that the providers dont support it in their billing systems.

I have come across one person who says they have a day/night plan with a smart meter. Personally I think s(he) is in for a shock when the next bill comes or else they have actually started supporting day/night plans with smart meters but I doubt it somehow.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/117963665#Comment_117963665

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

Was around May this year as they wouldn’t come out during level 5, Board Gais.

6.96kwp South facing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

As I said its not a limitation of the meter but of ESB Networks. Most likely they haven't done the backend work to support it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,649 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Nothing to do with Networks. The data is passed to the utility in 1/2 hour intervals to bill and use anyway they want. It’s uploaded nightly

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DM1983

Everyone is hammering the smart plans. I've run the numbers and based on last year's usage, the electric ireland smart plan with the extra low night rate between 2am and 4am is best for me. My calcs assume 80% night rate usage which is my ratio from last year. Also assumes that I will use 3 hours night rate per night which seems a good guess - dishwasher, washing machine, tumble dryer are all 3 hour ish programs. EV gets a decent whack in that time. Cashback brings this option under the standard day/night rate offer. Maybe I've missed something but don't think so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Are they actually passing the data to the utility? If so, the retail billing company hasn't done the backend work. One more twist is that ESB was charging smart meter installs the same as the day rate. That is meant to change soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

If you can get value out it, you very are much in the minority - but I hope you can save a few quid.

80% night rate usage is .... pretty high though. I'd be dubious that you can get there, but maybe you can. Best I have ever managed to do was about 52-53% and that was me being super aggressive with it too, although I don't an an EV. The reality is that there's just too much stuff like TV's, computers, fridges etc that while they don't use a lot per hour, they are things that you want to use outside of 2am-4am. Can't see it myself and I don't say that to be negative. If you can do it, crack on and have at it :-)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Humour me, Whats your usage? - Would love some other real world figures to play with.

Isnt the cheaper rate only for 2 hrs, but with an ev, you should be able to average 10kwh/day easily.

played about with some numbers 1500 day, 3650 on the cheap rate, and 2350 night, its almost bang on par with the energia EV plan (all these are rural Standing charge because that what my sheet is setup for)

More your usage goes up, the more the energia ev plan pulls away.

But if your already on a smart meter, you've no choice to pick the best plan that you can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

if your dishwasher takes 3 hours to wash dishes something is not right...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭beachhead

Thanks built_dodger.Looking at the smart plans you quoted I'm better staying on my current standard rates contract(til June 22).will look at suppliers closer to end date and compare smart plans with standard plans next year.Who knows what the market will be like mid 2022

Annual usage for electricity is about 4200 kwh with 80% at night. That's my historical usage so not something that I'm trying to get to. The only bit that's new is this 2 hour window thing. The smart plan gives me an average night rate of 8c/kwh provided I only use 3 hours and 2 of those hours are at the low rate. Dishwasher (Neff) is 2hr 43 on eco program. Washing machine is almost identical for the one cotton program I use all the time. Heat pump tumble dryer is just under 3 hrs too. Now I've just switched to the heat pump tumble dryer from a standard so maybe my night rate usage will take a hit, will have to wait and see.

I didn't realise that I couldn't get a day/night metre reinstalled once I opt for smart plan so thanks for the info. Right now I have a smart metre but am on a 24hr plan as I've just moved into new house. At this point, before signing up for a smart plan, does anyone know can I ask them to put in a day/night metre? Pretty sure this house (second hand) has never had one.

• Advertisement

Mine takes 3 hrs ish, but it's done all it's washing/heating in 1.5 hrs, the remaining time is it just cooling off/drying

Ah OK this is perhaps the flaw in my numbers. I don't have a figure for that low, constant drain that comes from fridges, freezers etc. At the moment I was assuming zero which isn't right obviously. I could take some measurements I suppose but I've definitely spent too long on this already 🤣

I don't think you can get a day night fitted now unfortunately. So your stuck with the smart plans :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Advertisement

Energia said yes they can do it but as usual they don't what they're talking about as I called the ESB and they said no, once smart meter is in that's it.

When you rang Energia, did they organise a meter change with esbn?

When I switched(from 24 hrs to day night) I didn't have to do any more calling. Just was told when they booked esbn to come out and change the meter

Your energy provider organises it. I’ve just requested day night meter with SSE to replace recently installed smart meter. It hasn’t happened yet though.

Yeah I'm with borgais and they plain refused to.

Let us know if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 fluffykre

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Were you trying to switch from a smart metre to a day/night metre rather than from a standard 24hr metre to a day/night metre?

Yup from smart meter to day/night meter, not to their joke smart tariffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

We are with electric Ireland. Smart meters were installed about two months ago at our house and all the neighbour houses.

Does the unit rates change automatically or does one have to ask electricity provider first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭jkforde

you stay on 24hr unless you request a smart tarrif. not sure what happens if you have a Day\Night meter previously

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

• Advertisement

Hey, any update on this? Did you manage to switch from smart back to day/night?

Anyone else manage this?

No update yet. Must follow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,434 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So my Flogas bills today included a nice glossy note that both gas and elec are going up 18%. Looking at Bonkers, it seems that just about everyone else will be cheaper. Should I be thinking of breaking out of the contract that only started in August?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

If you’re in-contract with them, surely the price increases won’t apply to you until next August?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,994 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭irishchris

Unfortunately nearly all electricity contacts are now variable allowing operators to continuously up the price with the regulator seemingly turning blind eye to how many price rises are being allowed in a single year. This is the fourth price rise this year with flogas and I left them myself in August.

The worst part of the price rises which is getting no attention is that they have upped the standing charges with each rise. Those isn't solely smart meters but all meter plans.

I was paying 145 a year ago standing charge and with current provider paying short of 300 euro. The problem is when prices are eventually dropped to much fanfare the standing charge I think will remain the same and for those of us with solar means extra costs all year.

Hmm

Horrendous peak and how can they tell the difference between EV charging and the inverter charging the house battery?

Its specific hours that its that rate. I think its 2-4am

I got my parents to switch to EI, for their "EV" plan.. which is basically a 300 euro cashback.

The rates on the day/night were 24.31 day and 12.07 night.

Ah that's crap, car charges at 3.7kwh so wouldn't do anything in 2 hours. I knew there was some catch.

If only their page would actually load: https://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/campaigns/smartelec-greenev

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Ah that's crap, car charges at 3.7kwh so wouldn't do anything in 2 hours. I knew there was some catch.

True: Although it's not completely insane to have your car charging directly and then in parallel be charging a 10 Kwhr battery. You'd get ~7Kwhr into a battery in 2 hrs, which you could use later on during the day. Since 1Kwhr is roughly 5Km in driving, are you doing more than 35Km/day? If your not, then you might be able get through the week.

That night rate really isn't a bad rate at all. Day rate on the other hand is pricey at 26C. I know I'm going to have to write a spreadsheet for this .... <groan> :-)

So car has 12kwh battery (hybrid) and I would need 100% charge every day (if ever going back to the office) as now WFH. And no way 1 kwh would get me 5kms in this weather, maybe 2-3.

Could also put a max of 10kw into the house battery in that time (only have 5kw now, but hoping to do the 20kwh DIY) and technically could then charge car battery from house battery albeit a very inefficient transfer.

Not sure it is worth risking losing the 24hr tariff, forever apparently.

Annoyed as left bord gais recently to electric Ireland for their night boost bit since adding capacity to 10kw battery I don't write get it charged in their 2-4am 7c rate.

This bord gais deal is for three hours though and for 3c cheaper. Their day rate is 18.9c so 6.5c cheaper also. Tempted to take hit and change back to bord gais for this deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭Cilar

That 4.63 c rate for 3 hours could be a game changer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Particularly if you could get ESBN to upgrade you to a 16 or 20kVA MIC...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,734 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The night rate is very expensive. 13.65?

• Advertisement

Not as good as day night meter but breasts all 24 home meter plans and similar price to the 13.0 night rate I have with electric Ireland on their smart plan. I think most people plan with battery backup would be to charge sorting the the hour window to use for the rest of the day, obviously only if they have sufficient battery storage. For me also their day rate is a massive improvement over the extortionate ei 25c rate, although will be trying to avoid day rate as much as possible

Hmm 3 hours is just shy of 30 mins for a full charge on the car and means 15kwh into the batteries when I get the lifeopo4 setup going.

I'm with them right now on a 0.1715c 24 hour tariff, wonder if they want to do the swap.

Are there any nonsense rules in the small print like they have on the "free weekend" tariffs which is limited to 100kwh per month or something like that?

Doesn't appear to be a fair usage cap as just checked their terms here unless I missed it? https://assets-us-01.kc-usercontent.com/7dd6b71d-d672-0004-6a4d-7043e1d0db33/525e1130-cc15-4cf7-9d81-8b02812615f6/Smart%20EV%20-%20Oct21.pdf

I assume this new price plan is to do with the smart nighttime wholesale price dropping last month that somebody mentioned on here recently. Would hope to see some competition now on smart night plans. This new ev plan would allow me to completely charge my 10kwh battery now with three hours as could only get to 80% with electric Ireland's two hour cheap window

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Let's hope this does not go the way of health insurance plans re options and clauses and restrictions

• Advertisement
Advertisement