Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Cash Price" in car adverts

• 03-11-2021 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭

Looking at used cars on the BMW approved used cars site and the prices are listed as "cash price" and if you want you can literally order the car online.

In reality are these strictly no haggle prices ? Just trying to figure out what I need to budget for as I normally look a bit higher than my budget on the assumption that the garage will agree a bit of a discount for a straight cash sale.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Cash price just means no trade in. The price is higher if you're trading a car against the new purchase. There is always room to haggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

went to see a car and there was pretty much no movement on the cash price. They seem confident they can move the cars at these prices at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

I'm looking for a 17/18 passat, prices currently around 24/25k, not found one worth talking money on but im dreading it not expecting much knocked off the sticker price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Bought a 171 Superb in August, almost 19k, cash. Absolutely no movement on price whatsoever from the dealer I bought from, or any others that I looked at at the time. Guy I bought it from straight up said that everything he had was selling no problem, so he was sticking to his guns. I'm sure some people are still getting to haggle on certain things, but my attempts weren't even entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dublinbando

They just playing hard to get, if dealership won't budge at all I'd walk away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭snowcat

Thats a bit simplistic. When there is a shortage prices go up. If there is a surplus prices go down. Walk away if you want but you might be walking for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

It's a bad time to be buying cars.

Chip shortage, COVID, brexit, a lack of 2008-2013 second hand cars etc means supply is way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭snowcat

Yes for once in a generation you probably would not lose money on a new car in the first year

• Registered Users Posts: 14,236 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Dealers will get commission for organising finance but obviously not if you pay cash so you should factor that in as well.

You'd be doing a lot of walking so it seems anecdotally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It depends on how well priced it is in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Well, I would have been not only walking away but walking everywhere, because I needed to buy a car before September, as my previous one was due to fail its next NCT and it was not economically viable to fix it (believe me, I tried). 😂

I had a particular spec I wanted in mind, and the one I bought met it. Under normal circumstances, when you ask what's the best they can do for cash, or make an offer, they take a sharp intake of breath though their teeth, knock a hundred or so off the price, and then the games begin. In these instances, it was just a flat out no, and an explanation as it why it was going to remain a flat out no.

As it turns out, I've been keeping an eye on the market out of curiosity since then, and literally nothing that met the spec I wanted in my budget has come up since then. So I got the car I wanted within my budget, just the reality of the market at the moment is that there's limited discounts to be had.

But look, maybe there's some people out there who can still get lucky. And if you don't need to buy a car, and you can afford to walk away, now is certainly not the time to be buying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I offered €27500 for a car that they were looking for €27,995.

It was going to be a straight forward deal as I had sold my car and wanted replacement immediately.

No budging and an attitude of "I can get that price" (dealer near Brooks in Dublin 12)

I bought similar privately for €25,000 the week after.

Dealer still had the car 8 weeks later and eventually dropped price to €25995.

Seems he did have plenty of room to haggle

Yeah I've started to open my mind to a private buy if I find one with full service history and all checks out, the warranty with a garage and some comeback is what has me garage browsing.

I've enquired too with auctions out of interest as im getting that desperate and im told all sales are final as I had thought, there is comeback now with them on engine/gear box issues after purchase although id want it in writing.

€27.5k was a good offer without trade in given what his asking price was.

There is a difference between negotiating hard and trying to rub the customers nose in it.

He deserved to be left standing with that carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Recently bought a second hand small starter car. Looked around for a couple of months and any decent contenders were being sold within a few days of going up on line. Lost out on a couple because I took a day or two to try and haggle when there was no movement. A few dealers told me they cannot get enough stock and there are no discounts at the moment. Couldn’t even get a token 50 euro off in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

That's way it's going to be in the future, the sticker price and that's it, just like the UK.

A lot of these UK, types of supermarkets have sprung up over the last 2 years with the price is price attitude.

Personally, I think it's a good thing, no wasting time looking at stuff hoping to get it at a lower price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I always found the UK dealers hard to haggle with. Walked away from a £30k sale 10 years ago over £200!! Dealer was just saying no!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

It's much better having a "No haggle" price.

If the car doesn't sell, the price will be reduced accordingly.

Everyone knows where they stand.

Its ok if you've never learned the art of haggling on a deal for a car, rest of us would like that opportunity to remain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

I don't understand 'trade in price' at all. Surely they can offer you what ever they like for a trade in value of your exchange. But artificially adjusting the asking price upward against a fixed cash base is just a double dipping scam no ?

Post edited by Notch000 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

There is no art. The dealer has just left some room for it. They either price the car at what it needs to be, or price it above it needs to be to allow for this bullshit.

Baffles me why people think dealers should give them any discount. It's a functioning business like anywhere else. Would you give someone that walked into your work place €500 into their hand? I think not.

It's probably a bit much elevating the status of a deal to an art alright but it's a big purchase for most people and they do like to feel they have done ok and walked away with some dignity from the process.

Whether it's a few hundred off or a couple of tyres, maybe a free service or as little as a tank of fuel and a set of mats it's good for business to send a customer away feeling good about the garage.

If you are just going to hold tough and rub their nose in it they will remember that the next time they are buying.

Advertisement