Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heavyweight Boxing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭squinn2912

For long and long I’ve thought that reporters, commentators etc are all in on the aj brand and ask questions to suit. That fool talked to him for an hour like he beat Usyk. The arrogant ass himself talked like some kind of prophet who is too intelligent for this world and this is after getting his ass handed to him. It still irks me how feebly he allowed the titles to go away from him and how much his corner just accepted it all. Anyway back to the point, that interview was prepared, scripted etc and it was still horrendously confused, vague, poorly constructed soundbite drivel.

This problem I have now is that if Usyk beats him again and he doesn’t give it a go again then will interviewers actually take him on rather than this suck ass embarrassment? I guess not. When Fury gives an interview he engages with the thing and if he was dung in a fight he’d say that and call it how he sees it himself. He is honest and insightful and entertaining. He can talk crap too often enough I will say but in terms of analysing fights he is very good. Joshua always looks like hes on the verge of hitting the interviewer at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Klitchko deserves be highly praised for his effort in the Joshua fight, he was coming off a loss where he was terrible and remember fighting Joshua he was 41. I know he lives clean but 41 is a pensioner in top level sport.

I remember when Wlad was king in his prime and we all moaned how poor the heavyweight division was, Wlad taking Joshua to his limit shows that maybe this era is no better, if not worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭reclose

Wlad missed a lot of shots when he had AJ hurt, I think his accuracy had been in decline for a few fights leading up to it. If a few of them had connected I wonder how different the landscape would look now.

I watched Wlad vs Fury today and Fury really did a great job in that fight in terms of movement and feints.

Wlad just followed him around the ring and wouldn’t commit to throwing shots.

It must be really tough for Wlad to not get the rematch to try put things right.

I’m not sure that version of Wlad could win the rematch other than go out on his shield and throw caution to the wind.

I wonder would Wlad lasted any longer or win his last two fights with Steward in the corner or someone other than banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,562 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Babic v Eric Molina later on DAZN

Well how’s it go? I’d say Babic round 3. Molina has turned into a bit of a diver

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

He is dirt. Not worth paying his flight over. Was it Wardley he fought lately and didn’t show up then either

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Cannot stand listening to AJ being interviewed. He just comes across as so phoney. I get it, he runs his own shop, its him who likes spouting this pseudo intellectual nonsense. As another poster said, you would swear he invented the concept "hit but don't get hit, sweet science", etc... whilst also sh*ting on about wanting a war. Its like giving a basic lesson in jargon and lingo to casual fans, which in fairness are his main audience. He has this siege mentality thing, the world is out to get him, "Haters" and the like.

He is a guy who took up the sport late, was gifted a gold medal at the London olympics and has since been fast tracked to stardom and to be fair (for a lad with a decent medal haul as an amateur without its being a long amateur career) has done exceptionally well given his real lack of experience. So credit where credit is due. I don't know whether he is still green or whether he is at peak of his powers and just doesn't have it.

Looking at that Klitschko fight, how the hell did Wlad not finish it? That uppercut really turned it on its head. The AJ in the first few mins of that 5th round looked really good, but we know he can't sustain that intensity and aggression for long than 90 seconds without taking a breather. That is his critical flaw. He needs to drop the "I can box for 12 rounds and not get hit" nonsense, he isn't lomachenko with a glittering amateur career that he can revert back to. He needs to find a way of keeping an opponent at bay, and using his gas tank at optimal times when an opportunity presents itself. But this style is walking a tightrope for someone like AJ, he will be caught between two stools. Trying to reserve energy by boxing at range (which he will struggle to do against good opponents) whilst looking like he is lacking the aggression.

But I don't think he has/can develop the ring IQ to fight this way. He is one dimensional, has a game plan that he is unable to deviate from mid fight.

Interesting in that interview with Kugan (about 18:00 in), he said you need to ask his team what his plan was, he just "acts on the information". He said he had no idea how things were going. Now that just shows all you need to know about his ring IQ.

^^^ Thought someone made a good point about Joshua a few pages ago and that was he needs to stop wearing the white robe and in the last fight wore these brown/caramel colour gloves.

He needs to cop on and stop trying to imitate Ali with this get up, it's actually an insult to the Greatest.

• Advertisement

Awful of of deep (unnecessary it seems) analysis being put in here...

He's just a boxer. Kind of boring. Nothing more nothing less.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I might be on my own here but i think Fury will have a tough night with Whyte,

I still expect him to win on points but it'll be a though aul slog ,

Aye. I said a while back on this that he will give him more of a test than Wilder did. I think it will be a wide enough win but Whyte is brutish enough to not get bullied the entire fight. I think Fury would fight huim or aj a different way. Boxing more than fighting. I think if he goes for it with either the ko is there though. I’d say Fury to win by ko in round 10 against White

You could well be right....Fury is that kind fighter....He can look good and bad against all sorts.....but gets the job done...

Wilder always posed problems for Fury because of the size/range/power threat....Whyte doesn't have the size/range power threat here that will worry or threten Fury like Wilder did.

By size I mean more height/range.

Whyte will bring it to Fury & do lots more inside work than Wilder

It's interesting because i think Fury best way to beat Whyte is to outbox him & when Whyte tires 9 or 10 then put it on him , but with Sugar in his corner he will be going for the KO form the off , its just his style,

Everything hinges on the condition Fury comes in at. I heard him in an interview and he says even when he's not got a fight on he does some light training every day as the endorphin kick is vital in helping him with his mental health so that's good.

I still think he was in better shape for Wilder 2 than for the Wilder 3 fight and I think he beats Whyte either way but if his head and body is not right he could make it a harder night for himself than it needs to be.

Aye. Eventually his condition or lack of will catch up with him. He doesn’t look or sound like a lad that has plans for much beyond 3 years. But that said even if he’s half fit he will likely beat everything that’s out there at the moment

To be fair he had covid & his new born was touch & go in hospital,

They reckon he only had a 5 weeks of what you call "camp"

I can see Fury taking everything up a level now fitness wise , he must realise that he probably has 3/4 fights left & can retire a legend if he wins them all,

Depends who the 3/4 are against

Legend for beating Wilder and who else? Whyte/Chisora III/Helenius/Ortiz.......?

Even beating Usyk......hardly awe inspiring....

best of his era/generation, yes....legend? Not so convinced

• Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Legend probably because of the comeback he had and seems a better fighter after it.

That mixed with undefeated if he does so.

If Mike Tyson is a legend then Fury will be.

• Advertisement

He's beat the decade long title holder in Wlad, in his own back yard,

How many years was Wilder the champ for ? Possibly biggest hitter in heavyweight History, 39 ko's in what 40 fights

Fury fought him so early in his comeback , took his biggest shots & got up to ko'd him twice, & beat him the first fight really,

If he goes to beat Olympic gold medallist, unbeaten unified cruiser weight champion & unbeaten Heavy weight Champion in Usyk

He is nailed on to be a legend,

Who did Lewis beat, who did Tyson beat , who did Wlad beat, , We can do that with everyone ,

He has about 30 or so fights over 10-12 years....

Wlad was past his best.....clearly so. Wilder and his KO reel doesn't excuse the fact that hes not at all a great boxer.

Usyk has what, 3 fights at HW?

Best of his generation/era, and an era of very weak opposition relatively speaking.....Not Fury' fault.....juts the way it is.

Doping conviction as well which will place an asterisk beside his Wlad win, albeit didn't test positive for that fight

I find it funny you bring up Usyk as Olympic champion and unified CW champion and HW champion....

Not near the same for Spinks, Olympic champion, Unified LHW champion, and Lineal HW champion...Tyson blew him a away in 1 round with a 7 lbs weight advantage and you dismiss it and make excuses; Usyk would be giving away 6 inches height and likely 50-60 lbs in weight to Fury...

And he's nailed on for being a legend for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Cause Spinks won his gold as a middle weight and won his heavy weight title at 200lbs, Usyk was 221lbs

Big difference Spinks was a much smaller man

When Spinks fought Mike he blow up to his heaviest ever of 212lbs and couldn't carry the weight at all,

Usyk is a proper heavy weight Spinks never was

And yet Fury will be 60 lbs heavier almost and 6 inches taller than Usyk

Spinks was about 20 in Montreal @ 165 lbs

Usyk wasn’t always 200 lbs as an elite amateur..he fought at 165 lbs aged 19 or so

Tyson was nowhere near bigger than Spinks compared to how Fury and Usyk will measure.

Spinks beat an elite ATG HW twice to win the lineal belt. Usyk beat a scared sh1tless Anthony Joshua.

it’s a nonsense to suggest Spinks a much smaller man than Usyk. Both quite similar. Spinks known to have boiled down at 175 lbs

Your take is pure bias and selectiveness..

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Pure bias and selectiveness now where else would you see that

😃

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Usyk fought at Middleweight as a younger Amateur, he even lost to Shawn Porter.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭PaoloGotti

Did you just say Fury is not a great boxer?! Do you think Schumacher was not a great driver, and my Ma not a great cook?!

• Advertisement

He also fought as a heavy weight as Amateur , he is a much bigger heavy weight than Spinks who lets be fair was never a proper heavy weight

Advertisement