Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding a HAP landlord

• 31-10-2021 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭

Is it difficult to find a landlord that accepts HAP? I am working full time and I am on the housing list and can get HAP.

I had a viewing and it went well and then I mentioned HAP. Was told he had more viewings and then I didn't get the place.

Do I have to be sneaky and move in and not say anything? Maybe apply for HAP if I lose my job? It's just all very sad that I have to do this, the extra money is better in my pocket.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭Deeec

A hap tenant isn't attractive for the landlord. There is more paperwork and compliance work involved for the landlord which can cause problems. Also many landlords see hap tenants more likely to cause issues down the line. It's unfair but that's the reality. More landlords would be willing to take hap tenants if the compliance issues were relaxed a little. Maybe you should wait and mention hap until after you have signed the contract - dishonest but it may be the only way.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

No need to mention HAP or the housing list to any landlord in advance.

My strategy, if I were in your situation, would be not to say anything at all.

Fact is you are employed and if you get the place they deem you reliable anyway and that should be enough.

After acceptance just say "look, things have changed, I need to apply for HAP"...and you can not under any circumstances be discriminated against at that point due to HAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Thanks very much. Looks like I have to do this. Something else will turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You earn little enough that you would qualify for social housing, if a council house were available.

Which is up to 35k if you are single in some parts of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭C14N

HAP isn't related to you being employed or not. You can get it as long as you are under the income threshold (which varies by county and whether or not you have kids or depedents). What's more, if you get onto the list while your income is below it, even if it goes up later you usually will still get to avail of it, although since you have to pay a % of your income toward HAP, it will have diminishing returns and eventually end up costing more than just paying the rent directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It may have nothing to do with HAP but as said no need to mention it. I will say arrive on time and well dressed . I had a plasterer arrive late covered in dust and just told him no to even letting him in as he was so dirty. No way I would rent to somebody who would obviously not be clean. Not saying a tie or suit but clean and no track suits or similar. You can say it is snobbish but you put your best foot forward when trying to get a place. Dirty shoes are a really bad indicator to a landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭dennyk

You can avoid mentioning anything about HAP up front, but you'll also need to be prepared to pay the full rent yourself for a time in that case. One of the issues with HAP is that the council pays the current month's rent on the last Wednesday of the month, while almost all landlords will demand rent in advance (e.g. you pay November 1st for November's rent). HAP or no, you are still responsible for ensuring that the full rent amount is paid on time according to the terms of your tenancy, so that means you'll need to "front-load" that rent out of your own pocket so that when the HAP payment comes in, it actually covers the next month's rent rather than the current month. It can also take some time to get the HAP approval, especially if the landlord gets stubborn about filling out the necessary paperwork or can't produce a tax clearance certificate, so you will have to cover the rent out of pocket for a while until that is all sorted (if it ever is; if your landlord is not tax compliant or they refuse to submit the paperwork, you'll be unable to receive HAP, and while the landlord will likely get in some hot water for their noncompliance eventually, that may not help you avoid eviction for rent arrears in the meantime...).

Thanks very much for this. I am prepared for first month's rent and deposit upfront. I am just worried that if I go down the route of not saying anything and it's looking like I have to do this, can the landlord evict me because of HAP, even though I am not the type of person who will fück over someone and I know rent has to continue. But at the same time, if this is something I am entitled to, I want to get it. I have worked out my budget and calculations and by accepting HAP, it would knock 100 euro or so off my rent. That's all I want, is my own place with reasonable enough rent without having to houseshare at my age. I don't know why landlords think we're all bad people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Thats why landlords have to look at employment contracts more closely for those who are on an income above HAP threshold

There are laws to protect HAP recipients, some here support nondisclosure can expect extra checks when vetting.

Post edited by agoodpunt on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

You may be eligible for HAP (rather than entitled to) if you find a property that complies. However you're being wildly ambitious thinking that HAP will be processed within a month, even pre-Covid that rarely happened, so just be prepared for further delays

Well I also work and can pay rent from my wages. All I want is to claim something that I can without hassle. My biggest problem seems to actually find a landlord who will accept it. I already asked in a viewing and that was completely shot down. I only asked because I want to be honest with everything. But seems being honest gets me nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

It's not you per se but the exprience some landlord have had with HAP tenants - Some are brilliant & others take the p$ss & ruin it for others after them. Once a landlord has been stung by a bad HAP tenant they are very slow to take another.

Also HAP criteria for a landlord is an added headache compared to someone not on it. May not be fair but that is the reality. Offering a higher deposit with HAP may also be a way go to give the landlord some reassurance.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

If you lie about needing hap and then spring it on your landlord after you have moved in is that not obtaining somthing by deception and grounds for eviction?

Sure you would get fired from a job if they found out you lied on your cv.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

No the same as not saying which bank you use at the time of renting. Once you pay the rent on time and in advance like other tenants there is no issue in theory. I have no problem with HAP but I have had prospective tenants say they will top up above the allowable amounts and when I said no they claimed I was discriminating them.

This is what I'm worried about. I tried being honest and upfront and it got me nowhere. Landlords do not choose HAP tenants. They have their pick of tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

This is exactly why I wont become a landlord.

If I do get a tenant that lies about their situation, its a long process to get them out again.

Its easy to see why a landlord does not want the hassle with HAP. Neighbors certainly dont want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Not even if I was a landlord but anywhere in life, no relationship would stand up with me if the first thing i heard about the other party was a lie.

Not a good basis for a happy future.

How will a landlord know it's a lie? Circumstances change and this is what I'll be going with a few months into the tenancy.

• Advertisement

Yet if a tenant is upfront and says they're on HAP, you won't pick them either.

The rent gets paid, why are landlords so fussy? Neighbours have nothing to do with how rent gets paid either.

Are you house sharing right now, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I don't think you really have an option OP, if you fully disclose your situation, you'll find it very hard to get a place (in fairness this is the govt's fault because it's so hard to get rid of non-paying tenants).

By not fully disclosing, you'll have a better chance of getting a place and whle the LL may be put out by it initially, once you're a good tenant, I'm sure they'll get over it.

Airbnb or proof of 50k +

Because you said you’re not pushed on house sharing and was just wondering if that was your current situation.

Currently house sharing. But looking at getting out.

You can get a one some rentals for 800-900. When receiving HAP, it can knock off about a 100euro or so. For example, a 900 euro place and with HAP paying 550, that leaves me with a 350 top up to the landlord. With my calculations for the council contribution, it works out to be around 85euros per week. So total rent paid is 690.

Looking at houseshares with some of them, 500, 600 even 700 or more. I think it's better if I get a place on my own.

A great little country, ever think you might progress in life, earn more?

Great little country, ever think of getting off your high horse?

• Advertisement

What do you mean by tenants saying they will top up above the allowable amounts?

Advertisement