Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lightyear (Pixar, 2022)

Options
  • 27-10-2021 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭

The first teaser trailer for Lightyear has dropped. Apologies if a thread for this exists already, but you know... Search...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Look, if someone wants to make a fun, epic story of Space Adventure, I'm here for it.

But I can't get over how weird this venture is: an earnest spin-off of the fictional toy upon which a character from a different series is based. And I guarantee there'll be "Lightyear" toys too. Imagine even trying to explain that to a cinemagoer in (say) the 1960s.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You mean it won't end with him being caught in some sort of inter-dimensional space anomaly that culminates in him being transported to alternate reality where he is a toy? I am disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It really is odd, are there any plans for a similar treatment of Woody's Roundup?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It's like Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game.

I'm assuming this is a theatrical release?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'd watch this. They could also do a remake of Cowboys And Aliens while they're at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Barrel-scraping IP extraction from Disney after they already tarnished Toy Story with the unnecessary fourth film. The sad thing is, the likes of Luca and Soul go straight to Disney+ and this gets a cinematic release. I fully anticipate this to do really well, while their original title Seeing Red flops, leading to only Pixar's reboots/sequels/prequels getting cinematic releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,006 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Buzz Lightyear has hair 

• Registered Users Posts: 10,904 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Yeah think you may well prove to be correct unfortunately. Which is very sad.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I disagree. It’s a novel approach to extending the franchise which came to an end. Puts a twist on it & makes it interesting to both an existing and new audience without detracting from the original movies.

And they absolutely should do a Disney+ TV series of “Woodys Roundup”. Amazed they haven’t to be honest.

I genuinely do think this looks really fun, I'm just confused by the canon of it. I don't know why they've even bothered to try justify it by saying it's about the influence for the toy. There was a cartoon in the 2000s and it was just space adventures, it didn't have to explain itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I'm sceptical of him only having one word in the trailer.

Presumably they don't want anyone to know its not Tim Allen doing the voice

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Could just be he hasn't recorded his lines yet? Couldn't imagine there's that much resting enthusiasm for Tim Allen that his absence would be a red flag for audiences.

A new trailer arrived for this... a better sense of the movies structure, such as it is.

I think it looks really good tbh. Pixar doing playing with scifi in the same way they played with the superhero genre is ok by me.

It looks like fun, and I am warming to it - probably because of its setting and genre. But I'll never shake the itch of where and how this film comes to be. To the point I might wonder if it'll flop; kids wanting Buzz Lightyear, not Mr Lightyear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I look forward to the Pixar film 15 years from now which tells the story of the real cat that was the inspiration behind Socks, the robot companion.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I have boycotted any Toy Story related film since the job shaming joke in Toy Story 4. They included Sid in the film working as a garbage truck man. I think they made him be a garbage truck man because he was a villian in the first film and wanted to degrade the character. There is a strong job shaming culture in America, another example I seen was in Frasier when Roz dumped her boyfriend because he was a garbage truck man.

Also, i was watching a video recently which examined how there were many hidden adult themes in Toy Story 1. For example Woody jerking the microphone and the microphones eyes rolling. This doesn't sit easy with me, it is quite messed up for all those hidden sex references to be in a children's film. I think there is a lot of that in Disney movies but I haven't researched them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I also forgot to mention that the famous phrase from Toy Story actually has a hidden sexual meaning. "snake in my boot" meant "penis in my booty". I would say the cactus on Woody's boot has hidden sexual meaning too. It is sick that we've had this hidden sexual content shown to us from early childhood.

Another is the actual names of the characters, woody and buzz. Woody is reference to a dildo and buzz is reference to a vibrator. Buzz being the new toy replacing the woody. I never picked up on this stuff but when I watched the examination video it all fell into place.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,816 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just because someone made those interpretational connections doesn't necessarily mean they were at all in the minds of the creators... For instance Woody has always been seen as a reference to Woody Strode, the actor famous for Westerns, while Buzz was always seen as a reference to Buzz Aldrin for obvious reasons.

"There's a snake in my boot", also long predates Toy Story as a western/cowboy term, was apparently a way of saying something felt wrong, like a sense of foreboding. And apparently was even used as an equivalent to the way we talk about 'the fear' after drinking. (and also just the very literal and rational fear of, y'know, being out in the wilderness and finding a snake in your boot...)

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Advertisement

Dude, you’re doing yourself a disservice

Toy Story 6 is the super rare “Godfather 2 of animation”.

A sequel so good it surpasses the original.

So many toy opportunities in that trailer alone. I’m predicting 3 x box office on merchandise

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I was kind-of shocked by the “hooker” joke in the first Toy Story movie. But I would never have seen it without it being pointed out. It’s normal to have some adult jokes in animation. Monsters vs. Aliens is full of them.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

ewe 😁

The UAE and Malaysia have banned the film 'cos it'll contain a lesbian kiss. As outlets speculate, one wonders if this will mean more Muslim countries follow suit - or indeed, other conservative markets like Russia/China.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw this earlier and it starts off really well, for the first half hour or so it's a cracking film. But it just loses momentum after that and I found my attention drifting and by the end I'd kind of checked out. It's a shame because like I said it starts off so well and there was real potential for something special here. After the success of Top Gun Maverick I think disney will need to reconsider their "Woke" approach, its not working. People know instinctively when they're being lectured to and told what they should like and dislike and that expression "Go woke, go broke" has some validity to it. Anyway its an Ok film all in all but it could've been a lot better.

Post edited by santana75 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

One wonders what the projections for this were, especially given two better-reviewed Pixar movies were "downgraded" to Disney+ releases. Presumably the belief was the adjacent Toy Story brand power would have audiences clammering?

• Advertisement

Haven't seen it yet but Kermode's review really pissed me off because it seems like he went in expecting a Toy Story movie and was comparing to them throughout.

Advertisement