Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

It might end up in another round of impeachment moves against him, were he to run again AND get elected again. Then again, if he were to be convicted in court before the voting started at any level, even the individual state committee stages, the USSC might tell him it wont hear any case he and his legal team petitions it to hear because of the conviction. Civil cases might be seen by the USSC as outside its remit if they were brought in State courts by citizens [singular or class-action cases] against Trump over his own actions or the actions of others thinking he had given them power to commit criminal actions against the citizens. I don't know if any Cops injured in the line of duty against the Capitol Hill mob have stated cases against Trump on the basis of the Mob members court defence claims that their actions were authorised by then-President Trump.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Now that's a test for "his" Supreme Court.

The decision on Executive Privilege is made by the sitting President , which despite his plaintive whimpers to the Contrary is not Donald Trump.

The only valid legal response from the USSC on this is "The President has approved the document release , you aren't the President now go away"

Reading an Extra.ie item on an MSNBC page about his latest legal move, it seems Trump wants some information [disputed documents] the committee IS TO GET possession of from the National Archive in early Nov be omitted when, presumably a committee report or press release, is made public. It makes one suspect that there's something which he doesn't want the public or his base to hear or get to know about his activities on the 06 Jan 2020....

Donald Trump filed a lawsuit against a select committee which is investigation the circumstances surrounding the riots last January. The lawsuit also targets the country’s National Archive.

In the suit filed on Monday, Mr Trump’s representatives have argued that some of the information due to be released by the committee should be protected.

It is argued that documents which contained confidential communications gathered in the committee investigation should be omitted when they are released to the public.

Mr Trump’s team suggested that those communications should be protected by executive privilege, which they argued should have been afforded to him as a result of his former role of Commander in Chief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,644 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Trump staying as classy as ever, is there nothing this man won't say or do to make it all about himself?

I have no love for Powell and believe he should have stood trial for the lies he told to the UN that got America into the second Iraq war but this is just unbelievable from Trump.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

We have seen enough politicians pass such that this crass, obnoxious and bitter broadside is fairly boilerplate stuff from Trump. Makes you wonder if any deaths in his own family have elicited a scintilla of empathy. God knows he can't fake any for peers or compatriots. I have no fondness for Powell or his actions but he leaves grieving family behind, and shouldn't be a big ask from a public figure to show them some sympathy

• Advertisement

I'm sure he will have another rant when he isn't invited to the funeral and will blame the usual Liberal lefties or "fake news" somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,338 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just when you think you can’t be surprised any more by Donald trump, he proves us all wrong by sinking even lower. I mean there have been bad things you can say about most US presidents of the modern era, but one thing that had in common is when they were and are called upon to do the basics of offering condolences to a family as ex president, they can at least do that with some degree of decency. All except Donald trump who couldn’t even lower the flags at the White House and as was mentioned he had to get a slight in.

whatever else you may think of Colin Powell, he due to his military service in Vietnam and after that deserves the flag lowering and whatever else is due him. I mean Trump at least once complained that he didn’t get credit for lower the flags, when in reality he didn’t even do anything special.

Well to elicite empathy don’t you need to have some ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

There's just a bone spur between Trump and Powell.

And in another episode of not even Nixon would do this/act this way. Above is Richard Nixon's letter to Jackie Kennedy after the assassination of JFK in November 1963.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,772 ✭✭✭✭looksee

'Hope that happens to me someday'

So busy being snide and sarcastic that he didn't really think that through!

According to a Washington Post interview with Senator Tommy Tuberville, the GOP lawmakers were already in a secure room when they decided to huddle in the closet. What they were seeking was not safety, but privacy, so they could plot their next move in light of the insurrection. For these senators, the original plan that day was to challenge the certification of Joe Biden’s election victory in several states, in support of Donald Trump’s baseless efforts to overturn the results.

But now that hundreds of violent marauders were demanding the same thing, the Republicans in the closet worried that solidarity with the mob might not be a good look.

“One thing that was brought up was that people were hurt,” Mr Tuberville said.

Besides, the senators knew they didn’t have the votes to stop Mr Biden from becoming president.

“Do we want to continue this,” Mr Tuberville remembered wondering, “if there’s not going to be a result we are looking for anyway?”

Looking at what the senator reportedly said in the interview, it seems to me that he was being very candid there. I cant help but think, seeing as it's printed in the W/Post, Trump won't like it one bit.

Would I be reading too much into it by thinking that the senator has thrown in the towel as far as Trump being a GOP candidate for 2024 is concerned and is splitting himself completely from Trump, or is it only as far as the present Capitol Riot mob court trials AND committee hearings are concerned?

Is he a lawmaker who has woken up and admitted the 2020 GOP strategy was wrong when it came to standing with Trump and his fake re-election rhetoric is concerned?

Post edited by aloyisious on

If so, he'll probably also pass comment about the honour being given to Powell ref permission in whatever location the General is being waked at in the same way he did McCain.

Concerning matters the first Trump presidential-election campaign [2016] and the election campaign of Ted Cruz, The AG for the DC area, Karl Racine, has tweeted that facebook majority shareholder Mark Zuckerberg has been attached to a privacy lawsuit against Facebook as Mr Zuckerberg was personally involved in deciding to allow Cambridge Analytica access to the personal data of up to 87 million Facebook members. The lawsuit was filed in 2018.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,333 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Trump has announced his next failed company to big fanfare as always.

Donald Trump has announced plans to launch a social media platform called TRUTH Social that will rolled be out early next year.

Trump announced the news in a press release on Wednesday, saying the platform will be open to “invited users” for a beta launch in November, with plans to make it available to the broader public in the beginning of next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Donald Trump has announced plans to launch a social media platform called TRUTH Social

My irony meter just shattered into a thousand pieces.

I actually had to check that this wasn’t old news because there was something similar post January 6th. I see the launch date in the beginning of next year, which falls under the release of taxes, healthcare plan(although he did give a timeframe for that), and I’m sure I’m forgetting some others but we’ve seen this box office flop before.

The sure fire way to know it won’t happen is trump talking about it.

Prepare for it to to be now ground down to dust

So his new America (YUUUHHH!!!) "TRUTH" site is part of Ynho g holdings (CHYNA)

Meanwhile Trump rants about how he is going to be taking on the auld demons in the "big tech" world

Meanwhile under the T&C's we have the below, is this another subscription service? Does anyone else see yet another Trump bankruptcy in the near future going by these?

And just to finish off your irony meter for the day, Donald J Trump, the bastion of free speech, the man who will take on big tech because the big meanies took away his Twitter will not let you have carte blanche to say what you want, oh no no no, they will ban you if you break those T&C's

And just when you thought it couldn't get any funnier

According to a post on The New Civil Rights Movement F/B page, a gent named Mikael Thalen [a tech writer with the Daily Dot based in Austin Texas] hacked the site using the handle @donaldtrump and the site has been taken offline.

WaPo's Tech reporter, Drew Harwell is following a report that accounts for Donald Trump and Mike Pence on it were either created by other persons or the accounts were vulnerable and hacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Surprised Donnie's cybersecurity advisor Rudy Giuliani wasn't able to prevent this hacking 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

This source seems to think the new Trump social media venture is just another way of him making money and it doesn't matter if it fails or not. https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2059403?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=Sendible&utm_campaign=RSS&fbclid=IwAR25Gznce3qWbINe6YMcSeNEJf_Vwwon2NNFt5B2uZOX_3DAUNy3960SqNg

One of the fund market players who had put forward funding to the media venture has reportedly withdrawn his offer made to the group behind the venture as he had not known the group and the venture was connected to Trump. He said he cancelled his involvement because Trump was connected to it.

On another matter related to Trump, Rudy Giuliani's associate Lev Parnas was found guilty today of all 6 criminal charges by the jury related to the secret movement of funds from Russia for Trumps campaign in the hope of getting the OK from US politicians to set up a weed business. Parnas may now face a civil lawsuit from the SEC in NYC which was put on hold while the criminal funds trial was ongoing.

Now I’m sure we all remember when Kevin McCarthy put forward his picks for the January 6th commission that didn’t happen and one of those picks was rep. Andy Biggs of Indiana and Nancy pelosi said no and McCarthy threw toys out of several prams. Well it seems rep briggs has been requesting documents from the same federal agencies that the committee is asking from and signing it ranking member which he isn’t. Liz Cheney called him on it on the house floor and he’s not happy.

Oh and in more lols rolling stone is reporting that the new social media has gone dark already because it’s violated it’s own software agreement. Amateurs Ted, complete cowboys.

FYI, on matters Capitol Insurrection bid, BBC 2 TV is playing the documentary "Four Hours At The Capitol" covering the storming of the Capitol building at 5 minutes past midnight again.

It was 11:05pm and I missed the first five minutes but I’m recording it and I’m watching it now and it’s **** surreal because this lot genuinely believe the **** they are saying. It was nuts to see the TV coverage on that evening but to see footage I’ve never seen and interviews with the people who broke into the building, it’s a wonder this hadn’t happened before and you’d wonder what the future is for America because there’s a lot of people who have this alternative version of reality.

I thought his attack on Colin Powell was a new low for Trump, I honestly thought WOW there's no way he could possibly go any lower.

But it's Trump, he always has to set a new bar

He’s a **** cretin. Jesus h Christ and it wasn’t up to him to allow John McCains funeral as he said.

this documentary on the riot on BBC two is eye opening because the amount of mental gymnastics is startling.

• Advertisement

Oh there’s a protester who used an apprentice reference to say he got arrested and trump left and would say that trump was fired.

Also, how the hell can these people try to say it was peaceful. There’s **** video that shows CLEARLY it was anything but peaceful.

Post edited by Itssoeasy on

There is not a shred of decency or dignity in that statement. It is completely off the wall bonkers. If it had been an off the cuff interview comment then it would almost be possible to see how someone could say it, but to formulate it into a written statement is beyond disgusting. And some one else was involved it in, there is no way he can construct even slightly complex sentences, evidently any advice was overruled.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The utter lack of anything even resembling a human empathic emotion from Trump would be surprising if it weren't so typical, so boilerplate at this stage. And remember, this is the man the GOP is cosying up to, for fear of losing "the base". They're hog tied to a cretinous human. You can really tell just how much he keeps grudges by the fact he trots out McCain's death and his family's response yet again. But still can't resist that childish urge for superlatives with the "world's longest funeral" blather.

In an interesting turn of events rolling stone is reporting today that the January 6th protest organisers are saying that held “dozens” of meetings with members of congress and the White House in the lead up to the day. If you wondered why the GOP want to downplay and in some cases invent alternative reality of that day, now we know(I think we knew anyway) and it’s because they are up to their necks in this.

This article from Rolling Stone suggests much more active involvement by the White House and Republican Members of Congress than has been evident up to this. Apparently there were numerous planning meetings involving Trump aides and Members of Congress, including a mention of a 'blanket pardon' for the organisers.

Along with Greene, the conspiratorial pro-Trump Republican from Georgia who took office earlier this year, the pair both say the members who participated in these conversations or had top staffers join in included Rep. Paul Gosar (R-Ariz.), Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.), Rep. Mo Brooks (R-Ala.), Rep. Madison Cawthorn (R-N.C.), Rep. Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.), and Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas).

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/exclusive-jan-6-organizers-met-congress-white-house-1245289/

One should assume [if one were sane] that the people organizing the attack on the Capitol thought they would succeed in their aim and that to the winner go the spoils. That might not include the incipient leader of the gang who seems to be a reckless gambler with other peoples fortunes. There lies the chance that he might get away blame-free if enough of his conspirators don't turn states evidence to save themselves by testifying that he attended at, was aware of and directed the meetings and discussion themes there-in.

The USSC has to be given enough information through the committee chair to make an unbiased legal majority decision that it will NOT hear any application from the leaders defence team against allowing the committee taking evidence from any of the leaders former W/House staffers on spurious claims of executive privilege. It has to be assured that what the committee chair provided to it amounts to evidence that members of congress involved themselves in the conspiracy to attack the congress sitting in the Capitol building on the 06th Jan 2020 and deigned to act with treasonous intent against the US and its constitution, including the court itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,219 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'd say outrage is exactly what he's looking to provoke with a statement such as that. In essence, his strategy doesn't seem that much different from ISIS, which is to say, "Be crazy. Be chaotic. Polarise people.". His bitterness and irresponsibility have become old-hat, but what is interesting to me is that he is clearly no longer making overtures to the middle ground. At least in 2016, he was making quips about his opponents and sort of saying, "Hey, take a chance on me. It could be fun...", and he could do that because he was ultimately an unknown quantity. Now, in 2021, he's no longer an unknown quantity, and he's not even trying to reformulate his image or policy. He's just going farther and farther down that rabbit hole of mean-spirited paranoia. He's going all-in with the base and that makes me ask the question - is that just to milk them for cash, or is he really planning another run, and plans to do 'right' what his followers failed to do in January, if the election doesn't go his way?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I get the feeling that he has such an ego complex that he is getting a messiah complex and is starting to believe his own **** and the **** his supporters that revere him say.

The messiah complex for Trump is like how a heroin addict looks forward to his next hit.

The last sentence in yours, if it were not done to basically - milk them for cash - defraud the average Trump/GOP membership base [something I wouldn't put past him and others with an interest similar to his] would oblige him to carry out a successful two-part operation. 1: win the actual election. 2:if he fails to win it fairly, try for a re-run of Jan 2020. He'd have to have the total assistance of the GOP to do so. I think that with the number of criminal trials running/ending or starting of his 2020 election close acquaintances [incl those in his Capitol insurrection bid] they may not be as much interested in his future as in theirs. The acquaintances may have some vague hope of him being re-elected in order to get a presidential pardon for anything they are charged/convicted of in federal court in the next 3 years. Edit: the dislike he has raised between others is spilling over towards him now due to the statements he has made about them and their characters.

Post edited by aloyisious on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ha I see shares in the company that plans to formally list his new social network platform have fallen sharply.

Short sellers targeting the company good. Anything to stop this buffoon of a disgusting human to get on the airwaves again is good.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

His plan here has nothing to do with him "getting back online" , it's about him grifting money from people gullible enough to by stock of the SPAC vehicle. I'd say it's even money at best if it ever even goes live tbh.

Even if "Truth Social" ever actually gets off the ground , it'll be a meaningless vacuum , just like of all the other "Free-speech" portals.

What all of these guys fail to understand is that people don't want a place to say what they want , they want a place that they can say what they want and to then get into a fight with someone who disagrees with them.

Social media thrives off the interaction and the disagreement - There'll be none of that on his platform (the T&C's in fact demand that).

At best some stuff from "Truth Social" will get posted on Twitter , but probably not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Half of me thinks he's already cashed out, the other half remembers he's the guy who can't run a casino profitably and opened a mortgage brokerage right before the 2008 crash.

Probably not. As you say , he's not exactly known for having good timing in business.

What we do know at least is that Marjorie Taylor-Greene has taken a possibly significant bath on the shares though..

According to reports she bought up to $50k worth of the stock at some point on the day the price exploded - Can't be sure exactly the price, but she bought at anywhere from $67 to $165 , the stock has since fallen back below $65.

So she's lost money and possibly a LOT of money - Which is something of a silver lining I guess.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

He also made a IRS tax return declaring a loss so big that there was not enough space on the form for the number of zeros by a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Evidently "Truth Social" may already be in legal trouble regarding the source software.

https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=ce257800-652b-45ff-a15c-5ea79579d105

Biden is still going on about him anyway..

If he runs again in 2024 he'll win..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Yeah, because its becoming increasingly clear how involved he was in the attempted coup.

Also, Trump had massive media coverage in 2020, and the years leading up to it, even using the WH to carry out electioneering.

And yet he still lost. Not being known, or talked about, is not Trumps issue. The issue is the more he is talked about, the more known about him, the less likely he has of winning.

If Trump runs in 2024 here's what happens.

He will lose the Popular vote by a massive margin , perhaps even into double digits on a percentage basis.

However because of the utterly bizarre Electoral college he may get close enough in 3 or 4 States to where flipping them makes the difference - By close I mean less than 30 to 40k votes of a margin.

This is where the massive problems for US Democracy will start though as the GOP have been changing laws and replacing key roles with compliant doormats since 2020.

So , if we have another Georgia or Arizona type scenario , the chances are that next time around the incumbent SoS WILL roll-over and do as Trump asks and "find" votes they claim are fraudulent etc. or the GOP as controlling parties in the State-house will refuse to certify and send forward their own electors etc.

Trump does not have a snowballs chance in hell of winning a straight-up Election , as Leroy says everybody knows who and what he is now and he is doing nothing to change peoples mind.

But, the current GOP won't even pause for thought if they see an opportunity to steal the Election for him by any means.

Without the Voting rights act in place before 2024 , it could genuinely be the last proper Election they ever have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,219 ✭✭✭✭briany

To be honest, if what we know about Trump should hurt his political chances, then he shouldn't even be allowed to run for president of his local golf society, never mind President of the USA. How many things has he done or said which would have been considered utterly unimaginable for a previous president? Which would have been intolerably scandalous? I think the only sure ways to defeat Trump in the next election, were he to run, would be to A) offer a candidate with policies that don't make political nihilism seem very attractive and B) resist Republican attempts to disenfranchise as many likely Democrat voters as they can.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Why the certainty? He lost the last one in a landslide, wasn’t even close.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
Advertisement