Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPS

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Shipping terms are different depending on what you have agreed with sender. Receiver can send it forward and pay all charges , or all charges excluding clearance, or delivered uncleared - received pays charges on arrival. If the sender sent it forward excluding clearance and taxes it is up to you to pay. If you refuse the shipment you have to get UPS to claim back their VAT payment, it I nothing to do with the sender.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Adelie

Thanks for the info. I didn’t agree to pay so I suppose I will have to get on to the sender. It’s a pity UPS will explain nothing. They did say to talk to the sender but no other info.

Since the charges were freight charges it sounds like the sender said I would pay - seems crazy that UPS will send me an invoice and then when I enquire they won’t even explain that’s why. Wouldn’t even tell me how much I supposedly owe, only what the “late fee” is

Post edited by Adelie on

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Hannaho

I have arthritis and need to buy a specific soled medical shoe that I can only get in US or in UK. I've had two packages of shoes sent back to the UK - 'return to sender' on tracking, and An Post gave no reason why the shoes could not be delivered. If I order the shoes from a US company, and they deliver through UPS, will I have the same issues? If An Post is the UPS delivery partner in Ireland, I am contemplating flying to UK to Yorkshire to get the shoes - it's that drastic at this stage! Would welcome any advice on this.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

No, they don’t use An Post. Moving this to the UPS thread in couriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Hannaho

Thanks, Whiterebel. I know when they delivered stuff to me a couple of years ago, their service was very poor. It looks like form this thread that they have not improved, but I don't think they can be any worse than An Post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Cookiee

You could still have customs info trouble if the sender doesn't fill it out correctly to ups needs, but I'd say it still has better chance than an post of arriving, if that doesn't work, book your flights to UK!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

I get lots of UPS deliveries and have never had a problem. One parcel got stuck in customs for a week but that's it. I've also sent over 20 parcels with them since 2020 without any issues.

Maybe I've just been lucky or they vary a lot by area. I'm in north Dublin.

Yeah I have had issues with ups needing more customs info and having big delays, but I got it in the end the package, unlike an post who will just simply return to sender without asking for more info, so best bet is ups in regards to customs I think

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jentomgrant

Hi I wonder if someone can help. I am waiting on a large delivery (5 boxes) from a chinese supplier. They sent me UPS tracking number and have shown me the last scans were in Belgium where it cleared customs etc and it was "waiting in line to be handed over to UPS".

My UPS tracking status was saying that a label was created but package has not been received yet.

So after 3 weeks at this same status, supplier was telling me its just busy and will eventually be picked up.

I contacted UPS who advised customer service to see if they could shed any light and they advised me to open a claim so an investigation process could start to locate the packages.

Did this and within a day I received notification that Claim has Approved and sent to the sender.

My supplier has said they havent received anything but perhaps it was sent to the forwarded, so wait and see.....

Does the fact that they have "approved" the claim mean that they are saying the packages are lost and they are refunding the seller? Or could it just mean that the investigation process has started and they are informing the seller?

A refund is really no use to me as I need the goods for my business so I am wondering if what are the chances of the packages still turning up?

I know its a hard one to answer, thanks all

I dont have any answers for you but you might find answers on the ups reddit page! Lots of employees use it so they could help you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 jentomgrant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

I bought an item from a site in the UK that charged me VAT at the Irish rate. However, when UPS (inaudible bad language) delivered, they demanded VAT on the total I'd already paid and a €20 fee (!) for the privilege. After checking with the seller to confirm I was charged VAT at the Irish rate, is there any way of getting my money back from UPS??

If UPS aren’t given the correct paperwork and information from the supplier they have to charge VAT which also means their clearance fee of €15+VAT applies. Your supplier needs to chase it up with UPS on their side if they are accounting for VAT in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

For anyone waiting for UPS the Track 17 app is giving me better updates that the UPS site.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭neeb03

Does anyone have a number that will actually get through to someone in UPS Dublin?

I have an item in customs and the tracking says

"UPS initiated contact with receiver or importer for clearance information. Once received, UPS will submit for clearance. 

Dublin, Ireland"

Which is a complete lie as no-one has contacted me for the last 3 days. I had to ring them and speak with the Indian helpline to find out what was happening and how much I had to pay. I have paid the customs and 2 days ago on the phone and still the tracking says the same. Having contacted them again, they say customs are due even though I have paid AND received the UPS email receipt. They have given me several Dublin phone numbers and having called 40 times yesterday, 36 times the days before, on several of their Dublin numbers not a single person has answered or even an option to leave a message. I have emailed several times with no reply.

The 5245446 number has an option to speak with Customs and then rings without answer and then gets cut off. Truly horrendous service with no customer service offered at all.

The helpline that you speak with the foreign helpdesk are lovely and very helpful and when they transfer me to someone in Dublin, no-one answers the phone and get cut off.

How do I contact these people????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Hey guys, I ordered a package from the UK last weekend and got a text last night saying there was duty/tax to be paid and to ring the number provided. They had the correct tracking number in the text but when I rang the number the line was really crackley and the woman I was talking to had barely a word of English so I decided against giving out my card details. Didn't get any email to say there were any charges due and it says it has cleared import customs on the online tracking. Am I being scammed or just paranoid. Something seems off to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Text I received.

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

Good call not giving out the details of your card, the contact number on their website is different: https://www.ups.com/ie/en/help-center/contact.page?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

How reliable are UPS? I have a delivery I am expecting tomorrow but all it says on the tracking is June 07th By End of day.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

These days they are very reliable. It will change to "on van" at some point in the morning.

That's their number for payment of tax and duty. Its outsourced to a payment facility. After payment goes thought a message goes through to the driver's handheld device

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Thank you for that. A pity it was not more like DPD or Tesco were they give you a time for delivery.

I am hoping I do not have to pay any tax or duty.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

UPS nearly had me vomiting today

I get fresh food sent in a cold box with ice packs

It is supposed to be next day delivery

Last weeks never turned up on Tuesday

It arrived on Friday so I told the driver I was rejecting it

A different driver came back today with the same box ,now with meat in it at room temp or higher for 8 days

You can imagine the smell

Totally beyond acceptable

The supplier has reefed them out of it,to no avail

I'm due this weeks supply tomorrow

I'm not confident

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭ShayNanigan

If a parcel left Corbeil Essonnes, France around 5 pm on Friday, is there a realistic chance it got on a ferry, traveled over the weekend and is waiting for a scan in Rosslare already...? Or should I assume it will leave France today at earliest and I'll get new updates on Wednesday perhaps? I know I'm being impatient but I've been waiting for an order to arrive for a month soon. It took three weeks for my order to be completed and sent so I can't wait to get it already. It's been on it's way for five days now and I try not to check the tracking because it's just not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

It's usually takes 36-48 hours from Corbeil Essonnes to Dublin.

It's now been 72 hours with no updates... hopefully it'll be here soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

depends on the service paid for by the sender. Most likely its the ground service and takes 4 days (excl weekends). It does not go via Rosslare.

Logistics are all about consolidation. It will go to the UK probably via Netherlands where it will be transferred with all other EU to Ireland packages to a truck travelling via Holyhead or Liverpool. UK to Ireland packages will be on the same truck, but the customs systems will sort out the eu to eu and UK to eu packages without any delays.

I'd be expecting delivery tomorrow at the earliest and see it as a bonus if it arrived today

It was sent via UPS Standard so I expect the cheapest and slowest method of transport, even if I found it slightly expensive (€11) for such service. It was sent from Poland, then appeared in France and no new updates since Friday when it supposedly left Corbeil Essonnes. I won't be expecting a delivery before there's at least some sort of update of it somewhere near Ireland. I fear I'll hear about it on Thursday at the earliest if even then. I was hoping it wouldn't go via UK since it would be faster and less hassle to just skip UK.

I'm just hoping it'll arrive. Have had no problems with UPS before in my area so fingers crossed this time things will go ok as well.

Edit: Hahah, you were right - it's in Finglas. Might be here tomorrow, but still no estimated delivery date... Maybe they don't give you one with standard delivery?

Post edited by ShayNanigan on

My order arrived, took about a week in total so not too bad. Strangely enough, I only got an estimated delivery time this morning after the parcel was already in the van. Didn't get to sign for it myself (still Covid rules?), only got asked by the driver if my name was so-and-so. Based on the tracking, it now shows as if the driver signed for it - at least the name it's signed with is definitely not my name. Oh well, as long as it arrived I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭PopTarts

My order is showing as delivered and a received by name is showing with “GB” after it.

There’s no package anywhere. I’ve looked front and back garden, in bins etc.

Would the time of delivery showing usually be accurate?

Does anyone know how helpful they will be when I ring them in the morning? I’d be worried they may have left the package with a neighbour who wouldn’t be reliable.

Fairly important delivery so hoping it’s not gone awol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 irishangler88

So I ordered stuff online almost 2 months ago and have received them, then weeks later I get this letter stating I have to pay €127.74 which is about €20 less than the cost of the items I bought including shipping. Has anyone else experienced this ?

Post edited by whiterebel on

Advertisement