Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hybrid Recommendations

• 18-10-2021 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I'm in the market for a new car but I'm absolutely lost as to what to get. I'm not very well clued in on what's available when it comes to cars. What I'd like in a new car is:

- Fuel Type: Hybrid

- Transmission: Automatic

- Body Type/Size: SUV Preferred

- Extras: Reverse Camera, Sat Nav

- Budget: 20-25k

I happened across the Toyota CH-R and I really like the look of it but when I was reading some reviews they weren't overly impressed with it.

Can anyone recommend anything that they think would be a decent car for the budget or thoughts on whether a hybrid is worth it or a waste of time ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭PaulRyan97

A Kia Niro is definitely worth looking at, like so https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/kia/niro/fpa/202104211623420?journey=Search.

The C-HR isn't really a bad car though either, little dark in the back and the styling isn't to everyone's taste but definitely a solid car.

However if you could give more details on what sort of driving you do it might be easier to recommend things.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 MowldyCabbage

Thanks. The bulk of driving will be the commuting to work 2/3 times a week (an hour each way) and beyond that the occasional Sunday drive around the countryside.

Probably not enough that something like fuel efficiency would play a big part in costs but I just like the idea of a hybrid as with fossil fuels being phased out I figured they'd hold their value a bit better. Although I could be wrong on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A hybrid still uses fossil fuel...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Hybrids seem to offer longevity. But not much in terms of huge efficiency benefits. Car industry is about to pivot into Bev in a big way and development in hybrids will slow and be phased out, especially phev.

A mild hybrid won't be seen much differently from any other car when that happens. But if maintained well you should get several thousand km of happy motoring.

• Advertisement

Yeah the clue is in the name. What is your point exactly?

I see claims of 30% fuel savings on some of the new self charging hybrids. There will be a big shift towards electric but it's going to take a long time to phase everything out. Surely hybrids will seem like a decent option to a lot of people over the next 5-10 years as a decent stop gap between petrol/diesel and going full electric? Compared to petrol/diesel anyway because surely those will flood the market at some stage once the shift really kicks into gear.

I thought it was fairly clear but here goes. My point being is that you said you were buying into the idea of a hybrid because you figured they will hold their value a bit better as fossil fuels are being phased out. If the idea is that all your driving is going to be done on battery only and none of it will be using the engine that requires fossil fuel then why bother with a hybrid at all and just go full electric?

The idea isn't that it will only be using the battery.

The idea is that they're more likely to retain value as they'll still be relatively in demand due to being more efficient and environmentally friendly with fewer used cars on the market compared to petrol/diesel as more and more people move away from petrol/diesel.

I think your idea is flawed to be honest. Hybrids are a compliance product for manufacturers and a stepping stone to full electrification for car owners, they won't be around for much longer than petrol or diesel cars on which they are based. Future emission regulations and product line streamlining by manufacturers will see to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Looks like the phev grant is dropped as of immediate effect. Motor trade is furious citing the stepping stone needed. But we have fully viable EVs now. Just need to ramp up production. Not buy petrol cars with little batteries. It's a good move. Hopefully more countries will follow suit and it will drive better Bev adoption.

Advertisement