Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend a 7 seater suv for 18k

• 15-10-2021 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Possibly looking for the impossible. Reliable car, diesel, 2 boot seats for children and won't be used much. Any recommendations please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nissan X-Trail or Mitsubishi Outlander.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Dhenalau

The Dacia Jogger is available for pre-order if you can wait until next year (Around 15K starting price I was told and 3y warranty)

https://youtu.be/I5V_FbWbriw

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Cal04

Is it a 7 seater?

Just looked it up. It looks good. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Do you care what age it is? And would you look mpv route rather than suv? As 7 seater the mpv are superior. Image wise, not so much though.

• Advertisement

I will rarely need the extra 2 seats hence not really wanting an mpv.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭shane b

Cant comment on any of the SUV 7 Seaters. We bought a 161 Citreon C4 Grand Picasso in Jan 20 for 17K as we were having twins and needed the 3 seats in the middle row. Its the 1.6 diesel and we have put 45K kms on it since we bought it without any issues. The ride height and big windscreen gives good visibility and you do feel higher off the ground than a normal car. Neither of us would have been french cars prior to this.

The SUV types were out of the budget as my wife had a 2015 car to trade in and would not look at anything older than 2016.

I suppose I really should be looking at something that will fit 3 booster seats in middle row.

You need a car with a row of 3 individual seats for that and most of them designed for that are MPVs. Most SUVs won't have that. The only SUV I can think of is the Peugeot 5008 and they are well above your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭photosmart

I would stretch a little and try for a renault grand scenic. They are very good value second hand with many 191/192's in low 20k area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ongarite

2nd this suggestion.

Family member recently bought one and it's a brilliant car for young family & trappings that they take with them on trips. Well proven 1.5d engine from Renault, Nissan or newer 1.6d.

Top spec models, usually UK imports, have every gadget you need from HUD, heating & massage seats, integrated rear blinds and heating controls.

Would there be isofix on all seats? Three proper seats in middle row? I've been a Toyota driver for a few years now so nervous about switching to Renault.

It's not just 3 seats with isofix, you need to ensure the 3 booster seats fit side by side together also. Sometimes there may not be enough space depending on the type and make of booster seat so only 2 booster seats fit on the outer seats. You could also look at the likes of the Ford Grand C-Max which has rear sliding doors which are handy or if you need something a bit bigger then the S-Max.

Always liked those 2 Ford's in this class of car. A friend has one (forget which one c max or s max) and swears by it, our IT contractor defo has s max as he drives it to our premises, he loves it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ongarite

S-Max is a great car but its pricey

If you put a value on car infotainment systems it is a very poor choice IMO as Ford's UI/Sync system is no match to its competitors

Infotainment is the one thing that ages a car very quickly these days. My audi a6 2014 is up there with anything out there these days regarding interior quality, comfort etc but the infotainment was awfully dated. Even later cars in 16/17/18 were outdated as still using a 2011/12 designed system. I upgraded screen size and added android software while keeping original audi system too and it has transformed the car completely for about 500 euro. Google maps, waze, YouTube, Spotify with proper graphics, WhatsApp now. Easy enough upgrade to make for most cars and light years ahead of system I had

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doug Stamper

Just my tuppence... Just recently went down the same road as you. Test drove all the main MPVs. Citreon Picasso, Renault Grand Scenic, Ford SMax, Seat Alhambra, VW Touran and a Peugeot 5008.

Settled on the Touran as we could fit all three car seats with isofix in the second row. Two extra seats in the boot for occasional use. Liked the Touran over the Grand Scenic as we couldn't fit our 3 seats in the Grand Scenic.

SMax, Alhambra and 5008 were out of our budget for the years we were looking at so that left the Touran and Picasso. Didn't like the drive of the Picasso but it had everything you'd need. Settled on a Touran.

I'd say you could get a 2015/6 for your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭shane b

This is why we bought the Citroen C4 grand Picasso. Many of the other 7 seaters we looked at only had isofix on the outer seats next the rear door or the the middle seat of the middle row is not practical as a seat. (Kia Carens, Ford C max, Toyota Verso Renault grand scenic). We havent used the boot seats at all since we bought the car but we needed the extra space for the double buggy and shopping.

Also we would have been a Toyota house, my wife had a 2015 Corrolla diesel to trade in at the time and i had a mk2 Avensis. We have been pleasantly surprised with the Citroen although the gear change does feel different to a Toyota.

we did look at the VW Touran and the Ford Smax but they were about 5k dearer for the same year as the Citreon at the time.

you may need to drive a few 7 seaters and refine your search criteria accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭photosmart

I think a key issue for people in this segment is budget. If money is no option then by all means

go for the more expensive brands (VW etc) but in my opinion they are very poor value second hand.

In many cases you are paying big money for a 4 - 5 year old car with no warranty etc. That's where

something like the renault grand scenic come in as they lose so much value in thier first two years that you can pick up

a relatively new (2 years old) one for the price of a 4 year old Touran or similar. Of course the issue then is that they will

still depreciate a lot however from a much lower base so I think they represent good value as in many cases a fairly new one

should see you out of the baby stage and into the early teens.

FYI I bought a 5 year old Toyota Verso in 2015 and still have it going strong

but it was 15k which again was too much for a 5 year old car however

there was significantly less choice back then.

Finally the newer Renaults have proven themselves to be reliable especially their 1.5dci engine.

P

Advertisement