Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,497 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I just don't rate Mike & most (not all) of his opponents where pants ,I always think Mike is a WHAT IF fighter, Got beat by Douglas and then got himself locked up after that he was nothing special ,

I agree Mike likely knocks AJ out but it wouldn't surprise me if AJ beat him

• Registered Users Posts: 37,448 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

James Smith was 6'4" and 233. Razor Ruddock was 228 then 238 at 6'3" in their two fights. Tubbs was 6'3" and 238.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,531 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The HWs in the 1980s and 1990s were pretty much same size as today...of course, today there are a few bigger...well, really only Fury...

Bowe and Lewis and a few others were 230+ fighters standing 6 feet 5 inches....

Many others around the 1980s and 1990s were same as the likes Parker and Whyte etc.....6 feet 2 and 3 and 4 and 220 + lbs....

It's actual talent and skills when you get 210 + lbs that is as important....of course, a great big one beats a great/good little one...

But from what I see, only Fury stands out as being real big and proven good....

Wilder is not real big. He is tall, but 220-230 lbs....he has a few inches on loads around. Big deal.

I don't want to hear about the likes of overweight fat boxers like Ruiz being bigger. They are not 'bigger' simply because they are fat. They are only 'heavier' because they are fat. And these type men existed in the 1980s and 1990s too

AJ for all his size at 245 lbs and 6 feet 5/6, just does not have the real intangibles to be considered anything great over the last 40 years....

This throwaway comment you hear about the sport being more modern now, and modern athletes are better....it is such a misnomer in relation to today vs 1980s and 1990s boxers. It really is...

Give me something more than modern athletes are more advanced......wtf does this even mean in relation to the 1990s vs. todays' boxers? What, they have access to smartphones, social media? What? Diet? What diet? Training techniques......what ones, exactly?

Take three prestigious weight divisions from the 1990s vs today

HW: Bowe/Lewis/Holyfield/Foreman vs Fury/Usyk/Wilder/AJ.....I am very sure the 1990s were better

Supermiddle: James Toney and Roy Jones vs Canelo and Plant....sorry, it's 1990s all day long here...

Welterweight: Shane Mosley/Tito Trinidad/Veron Forrest and Oscar vs Spence/Thurman/Crawford/Garcia....again, I have to think the 1990s

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Anyone who suggests that a prime Mike Tyson would lose to any of the present guys must be puffing the magic dragon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Would depend if he was juiced up or not I suppose.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

He would have demolished them fairly quickly.

Fury might cause him trouble, but that's about it.

So, what? Prime Tyson mid to late 80s was juiced up, and this is why he was champion and winning and defending the belts 9 times? As opposed to say Fury, who was actually convicted of doping. and found to have a banned substance in his system

Yes, but take him off the juice (that he was so clearly on 🤢), and how does he do?

A pre-jail Tyson creams them all, apart from Fury who might give him some trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Fury gets hit too much. If wilder hadn't a gas tank the size of a vespa scooter he could probably beat fury. But wilders conditioning is poor. He was hitting fury at the end of the fight and had no impact.

Prime Tyson hit hard...but he hit fast. His power and speed was what made him. When he got old, he still had the power bit less speed, so he had to rely more on his power and biting technique

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,497 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Fury , AJ & Wilder are all bigger by a inch or 2 here and there and 20lbs here and there, Wilder the closet in weight but he is very lean .

I think the 80's &90 guys where naturally smaller men just juiced up to there eye balls with extra muscle also why none had gas tank issues, Sure look at Holyfield's transformation its madness

Ye drugs are still there today but no where near the cocktail of stuff the lads where on in the 80's/90, Jerrell Miller level doping ,

Impossible exercise because unless you se them fight its impossible to know for sure,

Lewis and Bowe are bigger than Wilder, as is Foreman.

taller is not bigger. There is more to it

Lewis and Bowe, and throw in Golota are pretty much like AJ. Few lbs here and there…

it’s the 1990s, not the 1920s..

Ok, let’s here this better training and strategy bit..where’s the better diet bit from the 1990s fighters compared to today? What are today’s fighters eating and drinking that’s making them better boxers/fighters?

and the three weights I mentioned with the 90s vs today. Who you picking?

because apart from Fury, none the others are great in the 1990s. And I’d pick several to beat Fury.

I’d take Bowe Holyfield fight as far more skilled and everything else compared to anything from heavyweights today.

no idea what some you guys think happened between Bowe/Lewis and Holyfield to give us AJ/Wilder and Fury..

whatever you are seeing that shows them better is invisible to me..

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I doubt Fury has a better diet than those in the 90's, even the 30's tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Just watched back the fight earlier, fury would be an nightmare for anybody in any era, the way he hits then prods the face with the forearm and leans on opponents, it would tire anybody out, not many would beat him in a dog fight and his stamina and recovery powers especially from that first knock down are exceptional. He looked like he could do 15 rounds, amazing considering his shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭squinn2912

His belief in his ability to win somehow, anyhow, is impressive. He was absolutely convinced that he was beating Wilder. I think it’s easier to have the extra push and stamina when you feel like that. He knew he was far superior and having that huge mental edge makes. amassive difference.

On the battles of the ages, it’s hard to really appreciate the current guys until they retire. In 5 years time we’ll know more about all of them. If Wilder were to fight Joshua who loses against Usyk and ko him then fight Usyk who became undisputed after a Fury meltdown and vacation of the belt and also ko him then both of their legacies would look very different. I’d love Ike to be around now.

Do we have to wait till AJ and Wilder retire to appreciate them? Surely we have enough on them to assess them in an all time sense? Both very likely past their best now anyway..

Fury probably has 3/4 more fights left. And no real challenges apart from AJ and Usyk. I’d make him quite a warm favorite v Usyk, and a warm favorite against AJ.

Even if AJ were to beat/KO Fury, avenge Usyk, or Wilder to KO AJ/Usyk, pretty much they are who they are in an all time sense.

Hahaha very good response!

Well ok, I think we will appreciate them better when the story is a bit more complete. Now here even you are professing Fury to be the HW of this generation 18 months ago you had a very different perception of him. We will be able to say things more fully when we know more or all of the stroy. All three of them (and many more) can still change our minds and a lot can still happen.

Take say Forman. If he’d retired after the Ali defeat then we’d look at him another way without the Moorer ko or even going 12 rounds with both Morrison and Holyfield (I think, points decisions?). Then he could wellllll have come out on the wrong side of the Ron Lyle scrap which really should have come up in our discussion about great fights gone by.

And... why would Fury have only 3/4 left? Irrespective of what he says he’s just 33 maybe 34 sure he could have double that amount of fights yet.

Fury could have 10 fights left. 3/4 fights could take 3/4 years the way these lads operate.

• Advertisement

Yea that is true. He doesn’t seem too interested in fighting lower level lads now as inbetween fights as tune ups but I think that would be a good way for him to keep active and focussed

• Registered Users Posts: 37,448 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The last five fighters he faced doesn't suggest that.

He fought Pianeta, Seferi and Schwartz in that time. The serious fights were the Wilder trilogy and we'll give some credit for Wallin.

Those fights happened 2 during the comeback so I wouldn’t take them so seriously they were more exhibitions than anything. Schwartz the same. Glorified spars. I think Wallin was meant to be similar and then the cut happened so we can judge him later maybe when we see what he does. Those fights got him back up to prime now he’s at that. I think he’s interested in the big ones but you never know. If money talks enough then he’ll run through a few turkeys surely.

What I like about the likes of Lewis is that he took on really hard opponents like Vitali late on in his career. Lucky enough to escape that one and knew not to take a rematch but he had enough miles on the clock by then to make his own decision. I’d think little of Fury if he left the sport without fighting joshua and Usyk.

The great Hughie Fury later!!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭badabing106

When did Mike tyson get old?

He was only 29 when he knocked out Bruno to win wbc championship

He was 30 when he knocked out Bruce Sheldon to win the Wba championship. Was he too old then?

A couple of months later when he was still only 30, he fought Holyfield. Evander was 34!

Nobody can blame "old age" on Mike tyson not winning those fights . He came up against a better man, fair and square

Age wise Tyson wasn’t old in the mid 1990s. But he was clearly past his performance/fighting peak, which was only as far as 1989/1990.

He went to prison 1992. Was there 3 years or thereabouts.

He was still quite good post prison, but to anyone who knows boxing and followed him, it was very clear he was not the same fighter in the mid 90s compared to pre 1990s.

I don’t think the poster meant old in the late 30s early 40s sense. I think the poster meant what I have said here.

Post edited by walshb on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Hammer retired with a torn bicep, the commentators were mentioning Dubois and Chisora for Hughie, don’t fancy his chances with those boys

The internet isn’t for everyone

Advertisement