Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Difficult to know, that might take quite a while. It is fair to say that the area is currently dead when compared to normal.

It has been like a morgue in my experience, with the social issues that it suffers from becoming far more obvious to the eye due to the lack of people working in the area.

Hopefully things will pick up with people returning to offices, but talking to local shopkeepers, they've still not noticed much of an uptick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Tender for Topographical and Utility Surveys for DART+ Coastal from Drogheda to Greystones. Presumably this needs to be completed to prepare the initial designs so seems like it will be a while before we see the first public consultation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Just to remind everyone in this tweet that there is a Dart+ West webinar being held for Croke Park to Ashtown residents online at 7pm tonight.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

The alignment study for the new DART Underground/DART+ Tunnel will be published in a few weeks along with the Draft Transport Strategy for the Greater Dublin Area.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I for one am shocked. 🙄

If true (and I'd want to see a better source before I'd believe it), it would be a damning indictment of our Green Minister for Transport.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, it's prudent to wait for a better source, but there's no smoke without fire. I knew that there was going to be a delay, but this is way more significant than I'd expect. It's possible that they've got the dates mixed up, but that's me hoping for the best, not actually expecting the best.

With the various pressures on the finances, I'd been wondering what part of our plans would be put on the long finger, and these projects were always going to be some of the easiest ones to do it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

There will have to be huge pushback against delays like that. What, have everyone drive everywhere until 2034? How are we supposed to meet our climate commitments?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Leo put DART+ back to the drawing board yesterday. We can't build it because of the horse stables in the way at Ashtown. I've personally given up. I can't grasp how they can literally move mountains for motorways but not even a shed for animals can be relocated for public transport. Probably best to go live in a less corrupt/backwards country.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Ryan should be prepared to pull the plug on the coalition over this, save the pittance from somewhere else...

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DoctorPan

This is news to me and I'm working on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Who cares about climate commitments? Very few of the general population give a toss. Most people in government seem to feel the same way, just keeping their eyes on the next election, and no further than that.

It's news to people in the Department of Transport too. Ryan would know about it but this isn't coming from the Department of Transport. Any funding delays in the National Development Plan is coming from the Department of Public Expenditure through cabinet.

People are lining up to talk to Ryan while FF and Michael McGrath face no questions. Darragh O'Brien in Dublin Fingal and James Lawless in Kildare North have been very quiet.

Especially Darragh O'Brien. If his party ministerial colleague withdrew funding for both rail projects in his constituency, he should have to answer for it. But nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

And how would the GP do in any GE that would follow?

Would Ryan feel confident about even retaining his seat?

Would he take a risk going from minister to nobody?

Not a chance he’d do that.

What Ryan himself wants or his chances of reelection are irrelevant. This is not the GP of 10 years ago which was essentially him, his position as leader has been precarious for years. Much of the party's growth in the last 5 or 6 years has been from the social justice warriors, who want C.Martin as leader, or Extinction Rebellion types for whom Ryan isn't extreme enough.

Martin would love an opportunity like delaying major PT projects to bury Ryan. She'd have the support of practically all existing GP voters, plus the party would probably gain support from disappointed young FF/FG voters in suburban Dublin. I'd say she'd love to pull the plug on this government and this would be the ideal platform for her to lead the party into a new election. Martin is also at the cabinet table so knows exactly what is happening. Her keeping quiet on this suggests there's not as much to it as is made out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'll no doubt be retired before these projects reach completion. Pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The GP is currently polling at around 5%. If they take down the government tomorrow they'll be wiped out again. At the moment all the votes are in housing and they're part of the government not delivering on that. Young suburban FF/FG voters are also going to be more interested in their immediate housing needs rather than the metro or DART+ that are still 6-7 years away even without the delays.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Greens are going to be lucky to recover their 2016 performance (Ryan and Martin) whether they collapse the Government or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭cgcsb

GP isn't going to survive an election in a few years any better than in a months time. At least if they collapsed govt over public transport they'd be sticking to their supposed principles and might retain some core vote.

The housing issue isn't going to be solved with the same money either. As we've seen a shed for animals can defeat DART+ if there's votes in it. So what chance does housing stand? If a housing development casts a shadow on a nimby's rose Bush it'll also be blocked by politicians so its fairly pointless saying the money will divert to housing.

Sadly public transport investment, or more importantly the lack of it, is not, and never has been, an issue that fundamentally people will decide how to vote upon.

Housing, schools, health and social welfare are.

As for the stables, that was just Leo being a constituency TD. Remember, that during the first consultation he was reported to say that the level crossing should stay in place, and that's not the case in the current plan. It was a photo op.

I wouldn't be adding two and two together and making five in terms of it "defeating DART+".

It hasn't got to Railway Order stage yet - so there can still be a solution - probably through providing a suitable alternative location nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

I live beside the new pelletstown train station and have noticed all major parties having webinars in the Dart+ this week

If it is delayed, I'll be livid as it would be a massive improvement for the whole area. If politicians think saving a horse shed for a few votes, surely they'd lose more by commuters jam packed on early morning trains

Surprisingly I have not seen much on the issue reported here, but, the UK Times has picked up on the story:-

The opening paragraph says it all:-

The transport minister has refused to address a report of a seven-year delay in the construction of Dublin’s long-awaited metro and the extension to the Dart line.

And then there's this:-

We really do need a truthful feasibility study on the many planned, shelved, semi-shelved and promised rail projects

Also, rather interesting to note I checked over today's (and yesterday's) scheduled Topical Issues and Leader's Questions for the respective sittings and the issue does not seem to have been raised by anybody in the Dáil, I would have thought the issue would be on the agenda, but no.

Thanks, I missed that and didn't see it on the topical issues paper.

"They will take time, they require Railway Orders", the big question however is when will they be made?

DART Underground/DART+ Tunnel funded for "commencement of design and planning" up to 2030 subject to the GDA Transport Strategy's recommendations. The current NDP only funded route selection but this should bring us to railway order stage.

The previous GDATS envisaged DART Underground completed by 2035 so there's no reason why the new one wouldn't recommend something similar.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

When is the DART+ West RO supposed to be submitted?

Advertisement