Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Watch buying abstinence club 2021

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

When you first posted you said “stop buying shitters”. Which you then edited. Stuck in my mind and my response reflected that.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Not quite what I posted and you know it. Anyway are we now down to what someone said or didn't say to the letter even if they changed their mind within seconds and put some slightly more rounded thoughts in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

You lads must be on the half bottles of reasonably priced aldi wine too.

Anyway I am joining the abstenence club, winding (pun intended) out of watches for a bit and staying with my 3 watches for the moment. Going to be sticking a reverso grand date up for sale soon also if anyone (obviously not on this thread) wants it.

I am pretty sure that’s what you had said. Either way I don’t think it matters to either of us too much.

In either case the point stands. Abstinence is not about the fear of depreciation.

For me I don’t want to many side ways steps in my collection. Sure I miss out on experiencing lots of watches but I can’t be arsed with the hassle of buying and selling.

“level up or go home”

I see where you're coming from but personally I don't mind a bit of buying and selling to experience lots of watches. I buy and sell stuff all the time anyway 🤣

• Advertisement

I am close to leaving this club….

LOL, thankfully this shitter of a club didn't get too many members 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭banie01

TBH?

I'm surprised ya found anything to level up to from what you have!

I look forward to seeing what you end up with.

😅

I will be back pushing for new members in 2022.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Made it so far in '21. I don't think I could take another year of this though. Still nothing concrete (or stainless steel) on my radar.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Interesting thread, I purchased my Seiko Dawn Grey, but am not wearing it and looking to get rid, I had couple offers on here that I think I should have taken (lost messages) My other green Seiko gets the most wear and I still have my Steinhart GP LE and then the smart watch for my sports stuff. I can’t see my buying anything for a long time, nothing interesting out there at the moment and the ones I do like are astronomical price wise.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Guess what?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

breadsticks or cheese to go with the wine?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I think I have the blue variant of that, a BN0151. Which came on a rubber strap that I replaced with an OEM bracelet. They're a great diving watch, solar, factory seal and test till the supercap dies. Good lume and of course the orangeness of the minute hand. Good value too I think.

• Advertisement

Yes it's the BN0150 61E The bracelet has an on-the-fly adjustment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭Ryath

It's tempted me many times. Good value on amazon Germany @€162 delivered at the moment.

Can never decide between the black or blue versions though. I'm drawn to the blue but I really have too many watches either with blue dials or with blue on them somewhere and would like a black dialed watch. The black does seem slightly more legible. They both are on Amazon Spain regularly for €168 delivered. Tempted too though to get the version with the bracelet it does seem like a very good bracelet for the money and as I'm sure you know hard get after market. €243 on amazon again. It would make a great beater. As much as I like my G shocks I'd prefer a diver for daily wear and it's cheap enough I wouldn't worry about it getting dinged up.

I have abstained for this year despite a lot of temptation! I've nearly bought a few cheap watches but know it's money better put to something higher end. Would like a Seiko Turtle but part of me is holding out on that too thinking I should just stay saving and maybe sell a few of my cheaper watches and go for a Stowa Flieger or a higher end diver like a Longine's Hydroconqust or more likely one of the Sinns like the 104 and the 556A that tempt me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

The OEM bracelet was 80€, but really suits the watch, the blue variant didn't seem to come on the bracelet.

My brother asked me to get him a diving watch so it came down to either the bn0151 or a Seiko solar sne435. A chap here offered me a sne435 so I went with that. It had PADI on the dial, which my brother liked, he's been a loyal customer😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭traco

I was watch kicking at the mall in Millenia, Orlando while herself was trying to melt the credit card. All the big players were there and all within a few moments walk so it was nice to check out various watches back to back.

I was thinking I'll save up for a year and then go decent again so had a look at the Tudor Black Bay which was lovely but I preferred the model below.

Thought I'd try a speedy dark side of the moon but I was more taken by the meteorite edition. Stunning on display but I just thought it didn't suit my wrist.

Next stop was Panerai and this ladies and gentlemen I believe may be the winner. Loved the colour, weight and look on teh wrist. Strap was a bit tight for me but they would insert a link. I really really liked it and about half the price of the speedy.

Mayor's must have had 30+ Grand Seikos on display. They really have some stunning models and are magnificent in the flesh. All probably a bit too dressy for a numpty like me. Anyway it was a pleasant hour or two. Staff were brilliant and happy to chat way with no pressure and again it was great to see and compare so many models one after another.

Few rubbish pics for ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I have not bought a watch in 2022.

I have sold one and advertised another in 2022.

Do I get a chit, or something?

Advertisement