Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 2021 Round 15:Russian Grand Prix 2021

• 23-09-2021 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Weather

Schedule

FP1 Fri, 24 Sept 09:30

FP2 Fri, 24 Sept 13:00

FP3 Sat, 25 Sept 10:00

QU Sat, 25 Sept 13:00

Race Sun, 26 Sept 13:00

So yeah Russia . can't say I'm a fan . Leclerc gets the Ferrari Engine up date so that interesting and also Mercedes and Redbull might play engine penalties roulette , that might be fun too , having Those three at the back of the grid might make it fun .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Looks like a wet quali and a dry race, the other way around would be more interesting. Is Leclerc definitely starting at the back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

• Registered Users Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The rain there right now is bonkers, Spa 2.0 on the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I remain confident that Sochi has a better chance to get a wet race going then Spa.

Bottas must be a rare favourite for the win surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭klose

For the year that's in it an exciting Sochi GP might not be beyond the realms of possibility with what's happened already.

I think a wet quali giving us a bit of a shaken up grid for Sunday could be a good spectacle, even more so of Max takes a new power unit and starts at the bank with Leclerc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭McFly85

I can’t stand listening to Hill. Still banging the drum about the crash in Italy.

When Hamilton left a wheel in at Silverstone his response was “we want to see close hard racing”.

I wouldn’t mind nearly as much if I disagreed but he was consistent.

So looks like it could be relatively dry on Sunday-be interesting to see what RB decide.

I think the only way they don’t take the penalty is if they start inside the top 5, or they get incredibly lucky and Hamilton crashes out of quali.

From the sounds of it, it will be a wet qualy. So strategies for the race will be interesting.

FP1

All new PU for Max, starts last.

Makes sense.

• Advertisement

This may be relevant if the weather goes as currently predicted and Qualifaction cannot take places , these are the times they will use ...........I probably wont go that way but they insisted on repeating it a number of time during the coverage .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

It's just dawned on me that they have both F2 and F3 as support races this weekend. That's 6 races to fit in, the schedule for Saturday is packed, any rain delays will wreak havoc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

It's such a flat circuit too, I wonder what the drainage is like

They brought the F3 race forward to today to free up some schedule time tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Verstappen is taking the new engine so him and Leclerc will be starting from the back. Might make it interesting. How do they decide who starts dead last? Will it depend on quali? Leclerc's Ferrari looks quick in practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

The penalties are added up! Max already has the 3 place pen along with the engine penalty, so if he qualifies 1st and then has a theoretical 23 place grid pen and Le Clerc qualifies 2nd and has a 20 place grid pen then Le Clerc will start 19th and Max 20th. I think it’s 5 places for the engine and additional places for other parts which can be added also! (Like Bottas two weeks ago) so it also depends on how many penalties they each took to begin with vs where each of them qualify.

So if Max is going to start from the back, would it not just suit him to skip quali/do a handy lap and go out in Q1 to preserve tyres for the race?

Still has to do a 108% lap of pole doesn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

True (used to be 107% but might have changed) bit they could do that no bother. There's tolerance of over 6 seconds with a 91 second lap. And the difference between the fastest and slowest quali lap last year was about 4 seconds.

So if max wants to do a lap thst is within the allowed time and still is eliminated in q1, they could do it without issue. I don't think it's Max's brand to take the easy option. But we'll see what he does tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

Raining heavily

• Advertisement

https://mobile.twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/1441671391535718403

The forum doesn't automatically embed tweets anymore.

Anyway the upshot is that F2 was postponed due to the weather.

Post edited by flazio on

and FP3 is cancelled

What everyone expected, wonder if the Quali doesn't run, will they have it Sunday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,141 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

i really hope quali goes ahead today but what I saw on sky F1 didn’t fill me with massive confidence but Sochi isn’t spa so that’s where my hope is.

Yeah, they said they would try run it tomorrow before the race if it doesn't go ahead today

Looks like qualifying will go ahead which is good.

As I said that Michael masi including all manner of caveats and contingencies. They have a window it seems and need to get going.

• Advertisement

Craig slater with some leading questions imo.

Advertisement