Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Time to Die **Spoilers from post #1449 onward**

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yes. Yes. Our numbers grow.

He carried the David Copperfield adaptation on his own; his charisma was bouncing off the screen, that right balance of effortless swagger and likeability you'd want in a Bond; I liked Brosnan when he played it ice cold, but his charm was frequently a bit sleezy.

To the traditional" picks, I'd say that's what they'll go for. After the bruiser Craig, I can't see them taking another wild swing - despite any Twitter noise wanting a Patel, Elba or whatnot. And always seemed like they shy away from those too famous already. Which is why Richard Madden feels like a good shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Sean Connery and Roger Moore were 6'2", Richard Madden is 5'10" and going by his pics he looks more like a BBC actor not the next face of Bond

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

So he's the same height as Craig. And what does a "BBC actor" look like exactly?

Post edited by Mr Crispy on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Moore and Brosnan were primarily TV actors before they got the nod; while Connery famously started as a bodybuilder and milkman. As I said, none of the actors were ever that famous prior to the Bond role. Craig maybe the largest upset to that trend with an already healthy career in British cinema. If not for Bond I'd say he would have jobbed around various Lahndon based crime films.

I suppose the one thing against Madden is his career may about to get a bump given he's in Marvel's The Eternals. The inevitable multi-film contract with the MCU mat stop him playing Bond.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭billyhead

What about your man from Bridgerton. I think he's been mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

New Bond actors are never established film stars.

Moore and Brosnan were well known for their TV work but weren't A-List film stars. Connery, Dalton and Craig had decent successful acting careers before Bond but certainly weren't household names. It was their role as Bond that made them famous.

That is why I'm discounting suggestions that people like Henry Caville , Tom Hardy or Tom Hiddleston will succeed Craig. They are already too well known (and expensive) with established roles in other franchises.

I'll also say that it takes more to be Bond than just looking good in a tux. The actor needs to have a lot of charisma and screen presence, and also the acting talent to make the part his own, which is exactly what Barbara Broccoli saw in Craig. I'm a big lifelong Bond fan, and to be fair to Barbara, I could have watched everything Craig had done and still never pegged him as a possible Bond. I think he has been brilliant in the role even if he was let down by a script or two (which seems to be the fate of most Bond actors).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

One of Craig's first and still well acclaimed acting gigs was BBC drama Our Friends In The North.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

How would you find a relative unknown when their's so many TV dramas these days it would be hard to find a 'brand new' actor for the Bond role.

So the next Bond will be at least a somewhat known actor already, and if that is the case I would like to see Tom Hiddleston do it in the same way I wanted to see Brosnan do it. I'm not sure how big Hiddleston is, if you don't watch those Marvel things (and I do some), I haven't seen him in anything else.

Mind you, Brosnan was a disappointing for me personally. Never quite sure if it was his Bond or I just didn't like his Bond movies, which I differently didn't in themselves. Wouldn't ever be bothered to watch his Bond movies again. Loved him in Remington Steel but his Bond I found quite dour and unlikable.

if there is a next Bond he will be known in television circles at a minimum but the actor will need to be dripping with charisma and presence.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

as in decent actor you might find in some BBC cop or procedural drama, I had a look at a clip from The Bodyguard, he didnt scream next Bond to me

• Advertisement

Nondescript I would say. Average in looks, ordinary.

Most top actors don't fit that description. They mostly are photogenic is some way, have a distinct look, not necessarily good looking, just have a distinct look in of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,181 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Always felt Chris Vance would make a good Bond if you were looking at a TV actor.

And to that of presence, I offer you a pamphlet from the Church of Dev Patel 😜

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭fitz

Fully onboard, I think Patel would be a great shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

It won't be anyone any of us can predict!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

He would need to put on at least a couple of stone to bulk up for the role.

It says he is 10.5 stone and 6 ft 1, he looks very weedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I agree with this.

This is from a recent interview with Barbara Broccoli in The Sunday Times

"It’s not like casting a movie when you find the best actor at the time — it’s about resetting the whole template for the movies to come. So it’s not just about what colour hair an actor has and if they fit a certain type — it’s about where you want to take the movies and what you want to say. And we have to make that decision. We’re not going to make it based on polls"

I think the comment about polls is a subtle way of saying it probably won't be anyone currently mentioned by tabloid articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I can't agree with Patel, much as I love him as an actor. He's not Bond though. I'm open to be convinced but I don't see him as brash and confident and ballsy enough to play Bond.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah Patel is a good actor but I have never seen him in anything that made me think he would make a good Bond. I’d also argue he’s far too big a name.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,426 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Would love Riz Ahmed. Has everything.

• Advertisement

I really don't think height should be an issue. Riz Ahmed and Richard Madden I think would both be good Bonds in their own right, to rule them out purely based on height is nonsensical.

Tom Cruise sees all these comments about height being a red flag, and chuckles. Well. He probably wouldn't, and insist he's a manly 6ft.

Exactly and I'm always bemused by the measures he goes to to hide his height when we all know he's short. Is there anyone who can't take Cruise seriously as an action hero because of his height? You'd have to be the shallowest person on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Giggernaut

Henry Golding for me, looks like a bond and at 6"1 has the height. He's had some decent roles while still being relatively unknown. Snake eyes wasnt a great movie but he can handle action scenes and delivered some quippy Bond-esque lines!

What, Tom personally? Doubt it. He's made artificially look taller than he is in the movies. Mirrors and all that.

Spotted Roger Moore on Grafton Street yonks ago. Very tall with such a presence about him. Thought afterwards it was just someone who looked like him, big brown rimmed glasses, long brown coat. He was a guest on the Late Late show later that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think Jodie Whittaker should be free soon to take up the role. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I think Peter Dinklage would make a great Bond, similar shortcomings as Cruise but cameras can do anything these days :)

• Advertisement

$900m as the breakeven number is being bandied about, add in all the wasted marketing costs, and a funny one the product placement, there is supposed to be a Nokia phone in it which is now out of date, the film was supposed to come out before the phone lol

Advertisement