Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Too many people would have to keep it a secret...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

You have to admire the organisational skills of the evil, evil brown bearded terrorist men that they managed to crash two passenger craft into two side by side buildings within the space of 15 mins and for both buildings to have bottomed-out completely within 30mins of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

What I also find hilarious about the conduct of the conspiracy haters in this forum is that if 911 wasn't some form of inside job then this requires you to believe that there is a conspiracy of islamists against the USA. Is this not islamaphobic no? To believe that there are factions of Islamists who are hell-bent on destroying Americans?

For what reason do these islamists want to destroy americans?

Why do you keep running away from my questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Lol a very pathetic strawman here I'm afraid.

No it is not islamaphobic to suggest terrorists who are Islamic exist.

It would be islamaphobic to suggest that random Islamic people were involved in the attacks simply because they are Islamic. But no one is arguing this.

You are either unaware of what the word means are you are being deliberately incorrect with the term to make a very very suply point.

Now speaking on avoiding questions you have not once addressed the issues surrounding your conspiracy. You believe the entire space program is faked.

Have you noticed that none of your fellow conspiracy theorists don't want to acknowledge your claims? Why is that you think?

I think its because your beliefs are an example of the type that other conspiracy theorists don't want their own beliefs compared to.

Also gotta say: "If you don't believe that 9/11 was an inside job, you're racist" is a pretty new argument. Good to see that you guys can come up with new and even more ridiculous stuff 20 years down the line...

• Subscribers Posts: 40,943 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

To believe that there are factions of Islamists who are hell-bent on destroying Americans?

a belief?? are you that incredibly ignorant?????

its al Qaedas whole bloody raison d'etre

https://irp.fas.org/world/para/post.pdf

23 February 1998

The ruling to kill the Americans and their allies -- civilians and military -- is an individual duty for every Muslim who can do it in any country in which it is possible to do it, in order to liberate the al-Aqsa Mosque and the holy mosque [Mecca] from their grip, and in order for their armies to move out of all the lands of Islam, defeated and unable to threaten any Muslim. This is in accordance with the words of Almighty Allah, "and fight the pagans all together as they fight you all together," and "fight them until there is no more tumult or oppression, and there prevail justice and faith in Allah."This is in addition to the words of Almighty Allah: "And why should ye not fight in the cause of Allah and of those who, being weak, are ill-treated (and oppressed)? -- women and children, whose cry is: 'Our Lord, rescue us from this town, whose people are oppressors; and raise for us from thee one who will help!'"We -- with Allah's help -- call on every Muslim who believes in Allah and wishes to be rewarded to comply with Allah's order to kill the Americans and plunder their money wherever and whenever they find it. We also call on Muslim ulema, leaders, youths, and soldiers to launch the raid on Satan's U.S. troops and the devil's supporters allying with them, and to displace those who are behind them so that they may learn a lesson.

that was published in Al-Quds al-Arabi, an Arabic newspaper published in London

ah but shure, maybe its unclear and misunderstood.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,741 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Well that's a first. To answer your questions in order; No. There are. Because they see the US and other countries at odds to their ideology, that they are trying to destroy Islam, and because they are secular or non-Muslim.

Al Qaeda are responsible for a number of prominent attacks, e.g. US embassy bombings in Africa, 9/11, Bali, Mombasa, Casablanca bombings, Istanbul attack, Madrid train bombings, there's a long list - do you think all those attacks are "false flags"? what do you think of them?

Of course I don't expect any answers

This is a great example of how conspiracy theories have to balloon into nonsense to try and stay consistent.

Here Markus is claiming that it is unlikely for Islamic terrorists to commit a violent act. When confronted with evidence that Islamic terrorists are capable of violent acts, he has to either accept this and negate his original argument, or he has to invent new conspiracy theories about all the other attacks. So what started off as a small conspiracy to commit one attack has to become a massive global conspiracy to commit attacks all over the world over a series of years. Even if you believe that 9/11 was commited by a small group, then this group becomes exponentially larger with each new attack they have to commit. Some of these attacks are more than a decade before the one that they actually want to commit!

(I also wonder if it means that it's also the same 3 guys who apparently demolished WTC7...)

A similar thing happened with the cranks at AE9/11. They spent years claiming that a building like WTC7 could not fail because of a fire. Then when a building like WTC7 failed due to a fire, they invented a whole new conspiracy out of no where to explain that away.

You can never be wrong when you can just explain away problems with new conspiracies made up on the fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

@King Mob "(I also wonder if it means that it's also the same 3 guys who apparently demolished WTC7...)"

I was watching one of the 9/11 documentaries the other day and just before each commercial break, a squirrel popped up on screen. So maybe it was three guys plus a squirrel. Evil little feckers...

They're good at planting little tiny demolition charges in the shape of acorns....

"Question everything", doesn't question other conspiracy theorists and other conspiracy theories.

"I'm only seeking the truth", lies constantly

"Free speech" - constantly tries to turn the forum into a safe space and echo chamber

"I'm skeptical" - blindly accepts anything that validates their conspiracy/world views

"The experts are wrong" - consistently relies on deplatformed and controversial pseudo-experts and cranks

"Mods do something" - is banned from multiple threads on normal forums

"I'm being persecuted" - labels anyone who doesn't agree with them a "troll"

It's hilarious, no other forum on boards comes close

• Advertisement

"Do your own research" - doesn't do 5 seconds of googling.

"I'm just stating facts" - claims turn out to be not factual.

"I don't have time to address any of your points!" - demands people watch 5 part series of hour long youtube videos.

"Prove it to me!" - doesn't require any proof of the conspiracy theory

"Can't believe that happened" - can easily believe a much more far-fetched conspiracy

Could do this all day

"you're all sheep" - swallows giant spoonful of livestock medication

"Waaaah, How dare you make that comparsion! I don't believe something so obviously stupid as taking livestock medicine!" - Continues to claim the entire space program is fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Just out of interest, let’s say someone came on here in 2004 and said there was no WMD in Iraq and the whole thing was a lie so america could steal oil, do you think you would immediately dog them with the 20 questions game and try ridicule them until they stopped posting? Why put so much time and effort into trying to debunk all these theories you so obviously have a lot of derision for?

You genuinely are just ruining this forum for people who want to come on and casually talk about these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

There's a world of difference between talking casually about things and claiming that conspiracies are 100% no-doubt-about-it real and that anyone not accepting this is government shill/member of the sheeple, etc.

Many people were highly sceptical about the WMD claim back then, I know, I followed all of it on a daily basis. America didn't "steal oil", they paid for it, like anyone else.

>"You genuinely are just ruining this forum for people who want to come on and casually talk about these things."

Translation: You are ruining the experience of people making highly questionable claims on a public forum by asking about those claims

Go to any other forum and just start making stuff up, what do you think is going to happen? You genuinely think that should be protected?

Well for one I don't ask "20 questions". This is a mischaractisation that we here a lot as an excuse to avoid a handful of questions at most.

Usually if I ask a bunch of questions in sequence I'm making a rethorical point about how many question the theory begs or how many questions a conspiracy theorist has dodged.

If some came in here with such a claim at the time, I might ask why they believe this.

Is this an unreasonable question?

If the person then did their level best to not answer it at all, would that be reasonable or unreasonable?

But the comparison doesn't really hold though as the theory that the US and Co fudged intelligence reports is not an unreasonable or far fetched idea. The ideas we see here are thinks like the entire space program being faked or buildings being secretly demolished by 3 people or straight out holocaust denial.

You claim that theorists are just wanted to discuss these theories casually as just possibilities or fiction. But if you read some posts, it's pretty easy to see that's not the case. They are declaring these theories the obvious truth that folks like me are just too dumb to get. Have a look at the thread where it's claimed the space program is faked. It's a perfect example.

Do you believe that the op of that thread was reasonable or presenting the idea casually? Do you believe the responses were unreasonable?

Please note that I've asked you a grand total of 4 yes or no questions. I hope this isn't too taxing for you to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

And not a single piece of a plane found at Shanksville.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Well I wasn't there and I'll hazard a guess that you weren't either.

So if we are to go by news reports then I would look, pause, observe the footage and then says to myself that what I have seen on screen, coupled with reports from those present and their talk of not seeing a single piece or aircraft debris...then I would have to give them the benefit of the doubt, over you.

OK let's pretend what you claimed is true.

What do you believe really happened to the plane?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Here is a selection of claims about flight 93, a couple of them including clams of bits of the plane found. One claim in a lake that is said to be 6 miles away when it was only a mile away, and another about a whole engine being discovered, when it actually turned out to be a blade from the engine.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/a5688/debunking-911-myths-flight-93/

Nothing about your claim that no wreckage was found anywhere though. Which of the claims in that article do you subscribe to? They contradict your claim about no wreckage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

After reading this thread I maintain my belief that Conspiracy theorists are mentally ill and that Boards.ie should not be enabling their behaviours.

Its also notable that still not one person has answered the question implicit in the thread title, about how and why these massive conspiracies are kept secret despite the thousands of people involved.

I disagree that conspiracy theorists are mentally ill as most of them are very much aware of how their claims are nonsense giving their dishonest behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Perhaps. There is one obvious example in this thread of a poster who knows full well that he is lying and dodging questions, but at the same time what rational person acts in the way that he has? He clearly has issues and I doubt it helps anybody to have them on display like this.

Plane wreckage was recovered, passenger remains and items were recovered, the black box was also recovered

Since you can't understand that perishable items can survive these kind of impacts, here's flight attendant Lorraine Bay's logbook recovered from the flight 93 crash site

According to you, nothing was found, what's your source for that?

If you can't provide a source or anything to back up your claim, why are you making this up?

Nah, this is just plain old arrogance, politics and play acting. I don't think it's fair to cast it as mental illness.

We have had people who claim to be victims of "Gang stalking". https://www.vice.com/en/article/aeknya/the-nightmarish-online-world-of-gang-stalking

This kind of claim would be more the type that your concern would be about.

• Advertisement

It's fairly obvious some individuals do this out of sheer spite. They know full well their conspiracy theory is nonsense, but get pleasure out of venting it anonymously. It's simple to subjectively deny pretty much anything and go round in endless circles.

For example we had one poster in here who enjoyed denying the Holocaust, of course they would change their figures every other day and ultimately didn't care about the facts, but got great mileage out of demanding everyone explain/prove everything to them, and then rejecting it all

Advertisement