Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaga Marathon 12th December 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Manone

I have registered for this too. Having done Barcelona and Seville in the past, I find the Spanish races have a great atmosphere and are well organised.

Weather shouldn't be an issue at that time of year but might still require a little adjustment in race strategy if we have a cold spell here before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TomD101

in!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

I ran Malaga in 2014. Have to say one of the most enjoyable events/marathons I have done. The expo hall, if you check a map of malaga, is quite close to the airport. So I went straight from touchdown at airport to expo hall and then on into the city. Mind you its not to far from Expo to city centre. Interestingly it was the only marathon I ran whereby I got two event tshirts. One at the expo, and one when I finished , both were different colour and design. Not sure why and not sure if this occurs but it was a lovely touch. The year I ran it, I think about 2k took part, so it was nice and low key but atmosphere was still good. Assuming the course is the same , its fairly flat from what I recall. Temperature wasn't an issue at all. It was sunny but nice cool breeze coming in off the sea. Now that I am writing this I may actually look into doing the half lol . Good luck all.

Hope training has been going well for all. I managed to roll my ankle last week resulting in 5 days no running in my peak mileage week. Slowly getting back into it and should be grand for the day itself.

Have started weather watch already and based off current conditions looks ideal for marathon running and post marathon activities!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TomD101

should we have a Boards pints meetup apres?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Wottle

I'm doing the half, last 10 days haven't been great.

Went to Barcelona last week to race a 10k, ran appallingly, next day was sick for a week (negative PCR). Took 7 days off and still not quite a 100% this week but better.

Really looking forward to it though

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sca21

I'm in for this aswell (all going well), looking forward to it. Training going well, last of the long runs this weekend then a 2 week taper.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

I give myself 4.5 out 10 for marathon preparation: awful diet, preparation too short, missed important runs.

Would be up for that, depending on how badly the body feels of course. Have no idea of any decent places for a pint, but I suppose there's likely the ubiquitous Irish bar that would suffice.

Originally planned on a 3 week taper but with the few days off last week with the ankle feel I need to put in another decent long run. Will be keeping it sedate enough, though.

Also worth noting the Covid requirements for cert or evidence of test on the Spanish tourism site https://travelsafe.spain.info/en/requirements-before-arriving-in-spain-from-eu-countries/

My wife who is doing the half got her bib number by email.

But I am doing the full and did not get anything yet? Anyone else in the same boat?

• Advertisement

I got my bib number by e-mail yesterday, but the usual had to dig it out of the Junk folder.

You maybe able to search under your name in the app they have available for download.

I've cancelled my hotel yesterday, my wife decided she wasn't going and then the added hassle of tests there and back.

A little gutted, best of luck to you guys

Flight tomorrow at 4:30 for us! Took a while to fill in the paperwork...

Won't be a PB for me, just going for enjoyment.

My other half decided against travelling too given uncertainty and we definitely couldn't have had the both of us stuck in Spain with the kids at home, so the risk wasn't not worth it. Don't think the favours we pulled for the child care over the weekend stretched to 10 days of quarantine.

Not travelling 'til Sat morning, but downloading apps and getting paperwork sorted definitely painful.

Regarding expectations for the run itself, probably will go with the usual strategy of go off too hard, realize when it is too late and death march to the finish 😀

Never occurred to me to change my flight to the Saturday, which would just mean 1 PCR test on the Friday.

I think I'm back in :-)

I have a Pcr test booked for when I land in Malaga. I fly home Monday so I'll be in the time frame of having test before returning.

There is a test centre in the airport which you can pre-book your test, PCR or antigen.

I assumed the test was required from the origin country i.e. Spain but I suppose that's not going to apply for day trippers.

All is required is a negative PCR test within 72 hours prior to arrival in Ireland. Im getting my PCR test on Friday here (Ireland) and hope to have results Saturday morning before I fly to Málaga. I fly back Monday which will be within the 72 hours.

Maybe I've made a balls of this but no where have I read does the negative result need to be from the country you are flying from i.e. Spain. I'm open to correction on this.

A few hoops to jump through but it will be worth it!

My original flight was Friday, so my PCR would have been Thursday to get results 24 hours later, back late Sunday night, outside of 72 hours, so would have needed an antigen on the way home.

I'm now getting the Saturday flight out, PCR on the Friday and I'll be using that same test for Malaga to Dublin.

I've since found and booked a PCR test for €69 with results 4 to 8 hours later and not a 24 hr turn around.

Excited now

Booked an antigen test at CLINICA MUELLE HEREDIA in town around lunchtime on Monday; flying Monday evening. Means we can spend the day in town rather than going early to the airport.

Fingers crossed it will be negative!

Sorry hope I didn't give you the heebie-jeebies and your plan looks sound. As I say an incorrect assumption on my part as I haven't found anywhere where it says it has to be country of origin either (and doesn't make any sense for day return flights).

• Advertisement

It's actually hard to the information on this and is a bit confusing to be honest! I'm sure it'll all work out!!

Weather looks good for Sunday, hopefully not too warm.

Best of luck to all for tomorrow. Weather looking good, with nice temps for the post race recovery.

Malaga centre is buzzing tonight, fantastic Christmas light, it's 8pm and I have my feet up...

Enjoy tomorrow !

Best of luck! Hopefully it won't be as warm tomorrow!

Well, it's sun hat and singlet for me.

I will probably end up running 3:15 today, given my poor training and beer belly. Let's enjoy that December sun!

Best of luck all.

Best of luck everyone.

Well that was enjoyable in a painful way. Didn't go to plan, but knew relatively early on I wasn't going to hit the A goal, so throttled back as best I could.

Great city for a marathon and can see this growing in popularity. Thought the organisation was good, although one thing was I didn't see many Portaloo's on the course, but thankfully didn't need them.

I hope everyone enjoyed their race and hit their targets and failing that they enjoyed the lovely sunshine.

Really enjoyed the before and after, not so much during :-)

I agree on portaloos and same for the start area.

I'll be back next year and probably Thurs to Monday, not sat to sun

Little vid of the race, https://youtu.be/s0nI4pMFNeY

Great marathon in a great city. Lovely atmosphere throughout the whole weekend. The race itself didn't go to plan, stuck to the target pace until about 33km then a massive struggle from then on. Considering the heat I was just happy to get over the line. The support was great throughout, lots of noise. Some of the water stations were a bit chaotic at best but that's standard for a marathon of this size. The split at the half way when the half marathoners finished was a bit mad, had never seen that done before.

Once Dublin got cancelled this year, I wrote of getting a marathon done in 2021, so the fact that I got one in before the year is out is definitely a massive bonus.

All in all, great marathon experience. Would highly recommend this one.

• Advertisement

The half split was crazy alright, as I was convinced the marathon went to the left on the signs, but I was following 3 hour pacers so just trusted in them. I think the organizers are missing a beat by not making more of the loop in the stadium as it could have a fantastic atmosphere.

Have to say the travel arrangements turned out to be pretty smooth once you had all docs and apps to hand and I think reduced numbers on the flights also helped make it a bit more pleasant.

Will definitely consider this for next year although I do have a Dublin marathon entry so will have to see how that goes.

Advertisement