Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The White Lotus [HBO] *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I dont think it was totally out of character for her at all. She was happy with the marriage up until the honeymoon where she had 'buyers remorse' while in the safety of a luxury resort, away from the realities of the world. I'd agree if she seemed enthusiastic at the airport but she looked terribly uncomfortable - to me it completely fits that she would choose to give it another try with her husband rather than dealing with all the repercussions of a divorce so quickly. Add to that how we saw in the show traumatic situations bring couples together, the death in the room could have done similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Yep, she was pretty spineless throughout anyway, and it was obvious she was going to make the easier choice. Her interactions with Belinda showed her up for the whiny, self-involved person she really was. “I’m too good looking and my husband is too rich!” to an underpaid black woman? Really? In that sense, she lacked self-awareness just as much as Shane. Thought it was really well portrayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭kerplun k

2 Episodes in. Hands down, the best show of 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I think if Belinda would have told her to leave him, she would have but as Belinda got fecked over by another rich white woman, she was all out of advice :) I like to think that's what connected the guests anyway, how they treated reach other had a knock on effect.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Then why put in all the groundwork and the back story of her coming out of a relationship, only to meet her new love interest and a whirlwind romance that ended up with them getting married? They portrayed her as a strong, career minded person, from modest beginnings, not at all a Stepford wife, and ready to take control of her life now that she saw what kind of person her husband really was. It was literally a theme running through the entire series. Then at the end it was like, 'sure look, be grand'... 👍️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The Irish Times reviewer was less than impressed

Can't say I entirely disagree, tbh.... is was all a bit suspension of disbelief and a bit too reliant on caricatures. Even if it did keep me up half the night to see how it ended!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭thesultan

The head man in the hotel is brilliant in it.

I can maybe see where someone could take that perspective of her character but to me it ignores a huge amount of what they showed of her. I suppose one could say she was strong to verbalise that she wanted to leave the marriage but where was that strength up until that point? Is it strong to run the first time you have a problem - even to make that decision she bounced from person to person trying to get them to tell her what to do with her decision?

As Shelga mentioned, she showed little awareness of self but also little in judging others - there is no evidence that the traits shown by the husband on vacation were out of character for him, just that it was the first time she noticed or cared about them.

I think a defining aspect of her character is being a flake. She seems to float about doing whatever feels easy or good at the time, often directed by what people say she should do and many times even then doing it half-hearted. Being 'career minded' is an example of this, she likes the concept of having a job but doesn't seem to have any direction to what she actually wants to do, for example she initially is in no way assertive that she wants to write the article she is offered, she repeatedly can't verbalise a career plan for her future, and admits to Nicole that her article she was offended by was just a copy of another one. Like marriage, she likes the idea of a career but has no real drive to actually make the right decisions about it and to follow through.

I saw it completely within her character, and actually much more likely for her, to before fully following through to realise she was leaving a luxury resort in paradise and the choice in front of her was the wealth of her old life with Shane or poverty and a messy divorce and that she would float towards the easy option. I didn't at all see her statement at the airport as being 'sure look, be grand', instead just another half hearted decision that she'll probably flake on again in a few weeks or months.

Seems idiotic or pure click bait to frame so much of the article about the hype regarding the full series and then to just review a single episode. Seems like a reviewer with a terrible process to care so much about what others think or simply has nothing to say of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Really good actor I have only see him in Looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,928 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Watched one episode last night after seen it mentioned on here and advertised on the tele. Ended up watching 3 episodes. Will probably end up finishing it up tonight !!

All a bit bizarre , with the back round noises/sound track really adding to it.

finished it off last night , found it excellent over all.

everything sort of worked out in the end for everyone, in a very demented way !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

The soundtrack was very impactful - I found myself hearing back the score in my head whenever I thought of the show. There's not many shows that have their own unique "sound" so I think that's a pretty remarkable achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm halfway through it. Its good, but nothing else. Certainly not the best TV show of the year as many are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 shanos

Only watched the first episode so far, enjoyed it but my other half didn't so will probably go on without him! Skipping past the spoilers till I catch up and can add to this conversation more...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Enjoyable enough watch. Agree with others that the ending was weak. Certainly not the best show of the year that title belongs to “Mare of Easttown”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Hands down best show of 2021 for me alongside Mare of Easttown. Amazing characters and performances.

Also not sure how someone could deduce that Rachel was strong, career-driven woman. The whole point is that she's a total flake, a "journalist" by trade but an unskilled and lazy click-bait writer in reality. It even outlines how one of her presumably larger pieces was a) plagurized and b) lazily slapped together and totally inaccurate.

She didn't arrive at her end destination in the show because it was what she wanted, she realised after having her moment that it might be the only way she will ever be anything "successful" in her world, taking on the advance from Shane's mother.

Just an astounding show for me, such excellent drama amid all the well-balanced measures of harmless and darker laughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bugsyb4

I enjoyed it and yeah I would watch a second season alright but would still have Mare of Eastown a bit ahead of it for 2021.

The last 2 episodes didn't do as much for me as the first 4 not sure why and it was a bit far fetched for me to finish with.

Sorry about spoiler below if someone can tell me how to put it in as spoiler will in future.

Granted he might get off with self defence and not get jail time for killing hotel manager but somehow I doubt he would be getting on a plane like 12 hours later and the body too for that matter. Also the son going off in the canoe for a finish beyond ridiculous!

Some excellent characters in the show all the same hotel manager and 2 husbands in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭kheb

Great show. Reminded me of Succession in that most of the characters are awful but the show is still good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The conflicted journalist on honeymoon is lovely, far too nice for that dreadful family she's marrying in to

• Advertisement

Excellent overall, Alexander dodarios character turned out to be very weak, that disappointed me as her husband was such a monumental pr1ck

that's what made it so good. They are all ass holes really

Rachel wasn't an asshole but she was a weak doormat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

I could watch Alexander Doddarios all day.. Really enjoyed the White Lotus and look forward to another season with a new story line. Murray Barlett was brilliant as Armond.. Star of the show. The music was to notch as well, what ever it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Finished it, and overall found it enjoyable. Some great characters and acting. Hotel manager stole the show easily.

As for the last episode, I really do hope that CGI was used near the end !!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I think that's a bit harsh, tbh. A doormat wouldn't have stood up to Shane as she did in the finale. If she had left entirely I'm not sure it would have been thematically consistent with the show.

This is hilarious. What a bunch of absolute maniacs. Just watched episode three with Stifler's mom and the ashes on the boat. The cringe...

She saw what kind of person he was over and over yet still came back to him

Weak is an apt description

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

If that's the case the same could be said of many of the characters. Those such as Tanya, Paula, Nicole, for most part, reverted to type or did little or nothing to jeopardise their personal circumstances. Armond's weakness was his addiction and that cost him everything.

A disintegrating marriage at the honeymoon stage would be a near hammer-blow to most people's state of mind and it may be easier to stay put before taking action after realising it's toast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭kerplun k

finally finished it. The ending was a little bit weak, but overall, still an excellent show.

Poor Rachel, if only Belinda wasn’t so dejected by Tanya, maybe she would have been better positioned to offer some advice. Kinda funny that they were 2 sides of the same coin with both in positions where another person held financial control over the them. The difference being Belinda wanted the deal, Rachel didn’t, so maybe Belinda would have just told her to take the f**king money.

Advertisement