Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What If...? - Disney+ (***Spoilers***)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭PogoRach

This is probably the Marvel Disney+ series I've been most excited about. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I'm also really excited for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,007 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm pinning my hopes on this being the gateway back into the MCU for Hayley Atwell as Captain Carter. Would absolutely freaking love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I might just skip the trailer on this one.. just a week like..

• Registered Users Posts: 60,280 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well that was a whole lot of fun and I want more of Peggy Carter in the MCU.

Captain Carter now to join from the Multiverse Please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

More Peggy/Hayley is a good thing.

Enjoyable first episode.

I thought this was a series of standalone episodes but going by that ending it seems this is an origin of the events for the changes occurring throughout the series.

I don't think so, though the writers have said she will be a recurring charactors, into season 2.

So I think the stories will be generally disconnected but something might bring some of them together, or possibly across seasons there will be follow up episodes to certain stories.

I really do hope we're going to see atwell in the movies again, but they made her a freaking tank in this.... Don't think we could get her looking nearly the same in the movies. Could cgi it, i guess, but don't feel that is likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Very well done episode loved the Hydra Stompper

I love Cooper as Howard Stark he's really good in that role.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They seem to have a good relationship with Hayley Atwell so it's possible we could get more Peggy in live action somehow

1: That was alright. A lot of nods to the First Avenger.

Honestly thought Steve might have disappeared for a bucky lenght of time there with the train ambush.

I think I missed Jarvis. Felt like he wasn't there at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Not a bad first episode. The 30 minute run time was about right... I think the concept would have dragged a bit if it went longer. The Winter Soldier nods were fun "You nearly ripped off my arm", "I need a hand". The animation and action were great.

I'm calling it here that Phase 4-6, which will focus on the multiverse & Kang, will culminate with an Endgame-like scene with heroes across the multiverse banding together. Characters such as Captain Carter will cameo, and this episode is the back story to that. For cinema goers not following the wider MCU, they'll just be accepted as multiverse variants. Actually, if the MCU leans heavy on the multiverse we might see some of these What If characters turn up sooner than that on the big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the heroes seemed a bit overpowered they just spent the episode ploughing though everything, the production values were good though, but in terms of a show Invincible was far better.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

My only real complaint was that it kinda went a bit too.... cartoony. The Hydra monster coming through the portal just felt OTT compared to the state of the world in First Avenger, where Hydra/Red Skull were using the tesseract to make powered weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

great episode but didn't buy Bradley Whitford as a colonel

Post edited by expectationlost on

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I enjoyed episode one, a few small issues.

The voice acting is seriously variable, some were terrific (Hayley atwell) others were extremely poor (Sebastian Stan...literally sounded half asleep) and others were really poor imitations done by other people (e.g Steve Rogers)

Classic Star-Lord.

When you are out of luck go Duck.

The Nidge returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭PogoRach

That was brilliant. As much as I enjoyed the first episode, the second outing was head and shoulders above it ; much more in line with what I was expecting from the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Well that hit me in the feels. Episode was both funny and sad, and a timely reminder that the world was a better place with Chadwick Boseman in it. A fitting epilogue

• Registered Users Posts: 17,754 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

That episode felt like the perfect send off for both Chadwick and T'Challa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Karen Gillan also gave her best performance as Nebula, mainly because she didn't sound like she had a sore throat, took a strepsil, and then the strepsil got lodged in her throat.

Insanely weird having Thanos be like that though.

2: That episode was absolutely brilliant!

Story was top notch! Funny, action packed and literally had my jaw dropping

like when the collectors case opened and Caps Shield and Thors Hammer were just there! Then Hellas helmet!

Really moving dedication to Chadwick Boseman at the end too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,760 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I have one question.

Where. Was. Gamora?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

A stab at an explanation I have seen is would be that Thanos didn't genocide her planet, so she is on her planet with her mother. But that doesn't feel likely cause surely 'Star-Lord' could only have talked him out of it years after that would have happened. Though the Black Order were also involved on that planet and didn't seem to have a connection with Thanos here, so maybe)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Probably makes the most sense for her not to be there and they had enough characters to deal with without adding that layer. Any relationship with this Starlord would take away from what her and Peter had/have.

The far, far less robotic Nebula pointed to the likelihood that Gamora wasn't taken as a daughter of Thanos, as she wasn't around to beat her as often as in old timeline so Thanos took less of her.

If Gamora was taken by Thanos, she likely still held ill feelings against Thanos for her planet even after he turned 'good' and her and Nebula never had the bonding moment from the later movies. Given her plans to escape in GOTG 1, I wouldn't see her hanging around either of them without being forced and there is a big galaxy.

That was a really weak and boring episode this week despite being the biggest main cast yet.

3: Oh that was really well done! So many call backs to the first few films. At the end I was trying to work out ...

.. who'd be the team from this planet.. I'm guessing Captains America and Marvel, Black Panther, Sam Wilson/Falcon and maybe Pepper Potts/Rescue

2 for 2 Episodes now from writer Matthew Chauncey. How'd Feige find this guy!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_If...%3F_(TV_series)#Episodes

Damn it was good to see

Coulson back in action! Had to LOL at his Steve password 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm presuming the voice recording was done long before any animation.

It hit me with the latest episode what exactly was "off" about What If. It isn't the plots, it isn't the look, it's the sound design. The scene at the donut shop was the best case in point. SLJ delivered the "Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to leave the donut" line as if he was indoors. In fact, throughout the show so far a lot of the movie talent has been sounding a bit off from the situations they're in and the characters they play on set and in my opinion that's down to poor sound effects. Their voices are too much to the foreground and I reckon they're just standing still in a booth reading lines from a script with poor direction as to the situation. If it was treated more like an ADR session rather than some kind of radio play it'd sound more natural and more in line with the movies.

Advertisement