Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The White Lotus [HBO] *Spoilers*

Options
  • 19-10-2020 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭

Connie Brittonis among the cast of HBO’s The White Lotus, a six-episode limited series that follows the guests and employees at an exclusive tropical resort over the course of one week, TVLine has learned. The self-described social satire is created, written and directed by Mike White (Enlightened).
    Additional cast members include Murray Bartlett (Looking), Jennifer Coolidge (2 Broke Girls), Alexandra Daddario (True Detective), Fred Hechinger (Eighth Grade), Jake Lacy (The Office), Brittany O’Grady (Little Voice), Natasha Rothwell (Insecure), Sydney Sweeney (Euphoria) and Steve Zahn (Treme).
    Production on The White Lotus begins this month in Hawaii. White will also executive-produce the series, along with David Bernad (Enlightened, 7 Days in Hell) and Nick Hall (We Are Who We Are).

https://tvline.com/2020/10/19/the-white-lotus-hbo-series-cast-connie-britton/
    Post edited by The Black Oil on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Trailer's up. Starts July 11th.

Not sure what it's about. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've watched the first two. 

Couple of initial thoughts, a main theme here is about people with clashing points of view.

The honeymoon couple - the husband being a dick, putting a squeeze on the manager, etc. The wife getting a life lesson to maintain her independence, until that backfired after Nicole found out who she is.

The daughter and her mate, remains to be seen if there's much potential for conflict there. However, it's the second time the show focused on them reading, and whilst yes, it's brief that they've books in their hands and it's a holiday activity, it may be a comment on the theme too. I'm a little worried about the son getting caught up in the sea as he's not currently trained for scuba. The daughter's friend's bloke who's staff, probably won't end well.

The hotel manager falling off the wagon.

That big old anvil they dropped about Mark's father and AIDS. Fuppin' hell!

Of course, behind all of this is the ocean churning away too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I thought it has been great so far and an easy watch. I get a strong sense of foreboding though, especially with all the aerial shots of the island and the waves lashing the shore. Despite the luxury on display, they are in a remote place, and things may go wrong very quickly! Good casting too; the characters have the potential to be quite odious, but the actors are likeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

16th of August for Sky Atlantic

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Very enjoyable show, three episodes in and looking forward to see how it pans out.

• Advertisement

AV Club's review was less favourable towards the third episode than the previous two. I liked it, similar themes from what we've seen, there are things here about perception and departures too.

Nicole and her online meeting with China, having the cúpla focail there and not being seen to be on holidays. Mark's memories of his Dad. The honeymoon couple's dynamic, again and Olivia and her friend. Departures, well the baby arriving in episode one, we know there's a body to come and Tanya's loss, of course. I did enjoy Shane's WTF facial reaction when Tanya started going on about the ashes as the tender boat fecked off in the background. There was some other humour in there, it escapes me now. Nicole's clearly not on board with the zeitgeist of the Gen Z social justice stuff. Things are going to crash for Armond somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Up to episode four now, really enjoying this, an easy watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Armond is the standout character for me, great performance by Murray Bartlett.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

The fifth episode premiered tonight here in the States. Just one more left. It started out interesting enough for me to keep watching and now has me totally hooked. It's fantastic and the soundtrack is amazing. So many great performances with the standouts being Murray Bartlett and Jennifer Coolidge for my money.

1.04 was quite big on friction between identities (as is the show), as did 1.05 (stupidly good episode, really), along with all of the power dynamic stuff too. The show does a great job of being a pressure cooker and dangling things in front of our noses, then letting things implode or indeed, explode.

I thought Rachel was going to throw up if she heard one more conversation based around wealth, plus the mother in law's comments about her beauty as a bride and all of that. I'm a little fearful for Paula's safety now, tbh. Nicole cries about being a punching bag only for Mark to swoop in, take one and she realises what she has. Because of the exotic location and something's going to go down I keep thinking David Suchet's Poirot will crop up in the end (don't mean this as a criticism), although we don't know if the death is natural causes, accidental or sinister. We got some singing in the soundtrack this week, nice little scene Belinda and Armond too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This is brilliant, loving it! Have ep 5 to watch tonight, my God, what an ending for Armond in ep 4! He's such a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Hmm, thought it was a 'limited series'.

Haven't looked forward to a series finale like this in a long time. Building up to a serious eruption.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Me too Zero Cool. I cannot wait for the finale. It is so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Great final episode. Probably the best show of the year so far. Funny, but also very human. Loved all the cast and characters. Glad too that I couldn't binge watch this because I really looked forward to my weekly episode. Now back into the abyss of no good shows to watch :(

Cracking episode and fantastic series. I don't know how the next season will match up but that's my favourite show of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

This is bonkers stuff!! On episode 3, enjoying it but it's well out there.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Great final episode. So captivating. My goodness the scenery. I felt like I was on holidays myself 😀

• Advertisement

Man, the show has such a pressure cooker thing going. Starting off with all that goes on behind closed doors.

I did feel it was going to be Armond, character arc, organ music, nose powder and all that. Thought he was going to end up in the ocean by his own hand for a second there. He'd make a great foil for Columbo, in his sober days - a murderous hotel manager. The dump in the suitcase was something else. I saw someone coin the term 'suitcase shitter', it'll be hard to forget that and the image. Rachel's face at the end (an earlier too), Shane was so oblivious earlier on and throughout - his reference to going down a 'dark road' was scary, though. Sad for Belinda, online comments were predicting that fairly early on. Good old Irish flat 7 Up would have sorted Paula out. Props to cast here, great work. Bit of a nervous wreck after watching all that, the tone, music, setting and the points of view. Happy for Quinn. Saw speculation that the human remains were going on a Honolulu bound flight and may in fact that Greg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I enjoyed this. The current "Survivor Australia" is proving to be very good also.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have only watched episode one...but the bell-end count is seriously high in the guests....intrigued to see where it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Hard to keep track of when these shows land on platforms that are available to view over here. Going back through the thread I see it was added to Sky Atlantic yesterday so will check it out later. Looking forward to it.

I kind of wish they wouldn't release entire series on the one day...... I sat up until stupid-o'clock last night / this morning because I just couldn't stop watching.

It's irritating, frustrating, bizarre, OTT - but fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Watched it all in about 3 days...terrific show.

Bonkers in a good way and a seriously gripping last episode, not sure if a season 2 is needed but I will watch it :)

They started showing it on Sky Atlantic this week, but made all episodes available

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭thesultan

Thought it was a very good show.. A few things at the end.

Spoiler.

How did he manage to get away with the murder and just hop on a plane and go home? Why did the wife go back to him?.

The haiwain kid got a raw deal..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Spoiler: I presume he got away with it because it was "self defence"? as he thought it was the burglar in his room. That and high priced lawyers... Hi wife struggled with self esteem and self worth vs an easy life and I guess she decided to take the money and keep stum. Which seemed totally out of character for her and not properly explained.

The 16 y/o boy staying behind to go paddling was farce, he'll just be put on the next flight home because he's a minor. I thought him being in the coffin would have been an interesting conclusion, their son, traded for the wealth and luxury that their life provided. Overall a fantastic show, but the ending was a little weak and just sort of wrapped everything up neatly and without much thought.

Advertisement