Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vasectomy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,304 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The lumps are normal and go away. I believe it’s just where they were cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,304 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Supercell wrote: »
    Lads, whats it like when you have "that moment of joy" with your partner once its all healed up, is it the same, painful? Where does the stuff go if the pipes are closed? Wifey making noises here about getting it done as we have enough kids as it is.

The stuff is the same. Semen gets realised from the balls. , just the swimmers are cut off from entering the semen.

For me the moment of joy is better. , we had started using the pull out method. But now I can just plough on and keep going if I want too

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TedSheeran

I saw some older posts about difficulty getting in contact with Dr. John. I've emailed once and called twice during the last three weeks but no response. Anyone else with same experience? Is it related to HSE cyber attack?

Call his secretary. She will get your number and he will call you back.

Snotty wrote: »
    Brilliant, I'll push it further, do you think a 5km lite jog or maybe a round of golf would be possible the next day.
    I have the day after booked off work and don't really fancy sitting in the house on my own and if I knew I'd be OK I'd organise something

Everybody is different, but I wouldn’t recommend either a 5 mile walk and definitely would recommend NOT to have a light run.

Think of this in terms or risk management. You may not like being bored for a few days, but if you push things too hard and end up with complications, you could have to rest up for much longer.

For me, I was pretty careful, but still found that taking shortcuts didn’t pay. For example, I stopped wearing the jockstrap the day after the op, and that night I found I had a lot more pain than the first day. I went back to the jockstrap the next day and it improved. A few days later I tried to go back to normal tight boxers, but the pain returned again. In the end, I was wearing the jockstrap for about 2 weeks. If I had just worn it for the first few days solid I might have been able to dispense with it earlier. Even now, I find that I still need it for longer runs (a few months later). My running probably doesn’t have great technique, so there is a good bit of impact from foot hitting the ground, and the resultant bouncing of the balls tends to give me pain the next day. The jockstrap helps with that in a way that compression shorts don’t.

My advice would be to think of the possibility of long term pain if this goes wrong. In that context, a few days of boredom and being ultra careful doesn’t seem like a big deal.

Supercell wrote: »
    Lads, whats it like when you have "that moment of joy" with your partner once its all healed up, is it the same, painful? Where does the stuff go if the pipes are closed? Wifey making noises here about getting it done as we have enough kids as it is.

Moment of joy is at least as good. There is no effect on volume or sensation. And if you were using condoms before, then it is even better, as once you get the all-clear you can go back to skin-to-skin!

Don’t go mad in the first week or 2 though. The boys will be feeling a bit sensitive, so better not to have them swinging around the place too wildly! Also don’t forget to continue with normal contraception until you get the all-clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

At 24, you would be mad to think about getting this done. You are young and don't know what might change over the next ten years or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Lujan

You would be mad to do it.

Doctors would try to dissuade you from doing it as you are so young.

You may change your mind in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 tates1979

I was on the waiting list in the north under NHS, procedure cancelled owing to Covid - twice! There's now some reciprocal agreement that means I can pay privately in the south and get it reimbursed by the NI Executive. Any advice on where in Donegal/border counties may be good or not a big distance away in terms of performing the procedure?

Cheers

Depending on where you are based, it can often be easy to drive to Dublin. Newry to Dublin is only 1 hr 20 mins.

I know i keep going on about risk, but for something that can cause long term pain if it goes wrong, i would advise choosing the best doctor and driving a bit farther rather than a close-by doctor who doesn't do many of these operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Trondheim

I had the no-scalpel yesterday with Dr. John McCormack in Dublin.

I'll post everything that i can think of here, in case it is useful to anybody else.

Booking was easy. I made it a few weeks ago. He is very easy to deal with. He sent a questionnaire a few days beforehand and called me the day before. The call was mainly to talk through the risks. Those are all outlined on his website and others, so i won't bother repeating them here.

I had a good breakfast and drove up to Dublin by myself. There is a multi-storey car park on school house lane, just off Kildare street and just around the corner from the clinic. Due to Covid, he told me only to arrive at the appointment time and not earlier.

When I got there, I had to sign the waiver, acknowledging the risks etc.

Then, drop trousers and underwear and lie on the table.

He pulled back the foreskin and tied an elastic band just behind the helmet and attached that to my shirt, to hold my penis out of the way during the procedure. Then he used an alcohol disinfectant and had a feel around to find where everything was inside the scrotum. Then he put the anaesthetic in on both sides. In total it felt like about four injections. They were a bit sore, but not very. Then some chit chat, and then checked that i couldn't feel anything there and then went to work. He told me when the first one was done, and again checked that the anaesthetic had worked on the other side and then did that. Plenty of chat about sport during it. Then, he put a bit of gauze over the incision site, and told me to hold it there and to stand up. He helped me pull up the jocks and then i pulled up my shorts and sat down. He went through the process for semen analysis, gave me the tube, envelope etc. I paid and that was it.

Afterwards I went for coffee. He told me that the anaesthetic would wear off after about 30 minutes, so i took ibuprofen and paracetamol as soon as I got to the cafe. About an hour later, I drove home. I took it easy all afternoon. I followed the instructions for the ibuprofen (took 2 in total between 12:00 noon and bedtime) and paracetamol (5 in total yesterday). I had a few twinges of pain at various stages, but nothing significant.

I had followed the advice here and bought a few jockstraps beforehand. I wore that all yesterday and to bed last night. It is very effective at keeping my balls tightly held. But during the night, i woke a good few times, as the nighttime erections were constricted with the jockstrap and and the straps around the back were digging into me a bit. I guess that is the advantage and disadvantage of the jockstrap - it really does hold things tight, but at night that is not very comfortable - for the moment, i am working on the basis that the bit of discomfort in that regard is better than a lot of discomfort due to bruised balls etc.

When i got up this morning, i checked the wound. It is a really small slit down the middle of the scrotum (about 0.5 cm), with four pin prick holes around it (i presume they are where the anaesthetic went in). I left off the gauze today. I have a jockstrap on again today and will take 3 ibuprofen and 7 paracetamol during the day. The Dr. said that it is better to prevent the pain than to get rid of it, so for the moment I will continue to take the painkillers on time rather than based on whether I am in pain.

One last thing. I wasn't sure how much to shave and didn't want to fall short, so I just shaved everything, all of the scrotum, all of the penis and the bush above the penis. I did that about four days before the procedure, but I got a bit of shaving rash where I shaved the bush. I told him that when he called me, and he said that I had probably shaved more than I needed to. When I see where he worked, that is fairly obvious to me now! In case you are wondering where to shave, you only really need to have the front of your scrotum and the back of the penis (the part that touches the front of the scrotum) done. Definitely no need to shave the bush!

I'll try to post a few updates this week on how it is going.

• Advertisement

Thursday morning now. I had it done on Monday.

No adverse effects so far. I have been taking about 2 nurofen/day and about 4 paracetamol.

I will stop both today and see how it goes. The nurofen packet advises to only take for three days.

Still wearing a jockstrap all day (including to bed at night).

I held off until today on having a shower, as i was concerned about reopening the wound. The doctor had said that it would be OK to have one on Tuesday morning, but I was just a bit wary. Anyway all fine, and no sign of the wound reopening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

I posted off my sperm sample 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything back.

How long does it normally take for results to be given?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭Glebee

When I sent of my sample they lost it🤣, Had to resend another one... I thought they said around 2 weeks before you hear back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mcmaco82

Did you end up getting the prcedure done with 'Gentle Procedures'? How did you get on? I'm thinking of getting the procedure with them in Naas. Same doctors in both clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mcmaco82

Knipex: Did they butcher the procedure or were you just one of the unlucky ones that has complications?

More or less a week since the vasectomy now (last Monday). All good, no major impact.

I stopped with the nurofen and paracetamol on Thursday.

Did the business on Friday, and all working well. No blood in the semen (or not that I noticed anyway).

I went for a light run yesterday evening (~5 Km), and took it easy. Felt fine during the run.

I wore the jockstrap for the run, but went back to normal underwear afterwards. Not sure if it is the underwear or the run, but felt a few twinges of pain last night (they woke me up), but very brief. Occasionally achey today, but nothing major. I'll see how it goes.

The wounds seems to be fully sealed now.

All in all, I consider myself very lucky that it went so easy, and very happy with Dr. McCormack. A nice guy, easy to deal with, and seems to have done a very good job. I would definitely recommend him. Fingers crossed that i'll be a fully fledged jaffa when I get tested in a few months!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

First sample came back with a very small amount of swimmers left. Anyone got and advice on clearing the pipes beyond just jacking off/Riding?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think all you can do is redouble your efforts. Remind your lady friend that clear pipes are in her best interests too 💥😉

Directions i received were to have at least 24 ejaculations before submitting a sample for testing? Not to get too personal, but do you think you have reached that?

How long have you been advised to wait until your next test? Ejaculation is the only way to get rid of the swimmers, so like you said - jerking off or riding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Dont want to get into too much detail but there was bleeding and swelling that was a direct result of the procedure. Different doctor told me this would not be a normal side effect.

To be fair, pain wasnt enough to stop me working (mainly drive a desk), most of teh time toook eiher nothing or over the counter pain killers was but prescribed ocycoden for when I needed it (only took a few) Couple of weeks and all the swelling and pain was done. No issues since.

• Advertisement

24? I probably hit that easily in the first month. 24 would be a slow month and I had it done last December.

There can be cases where a small number of non-viable swimmers remain in the semen. Directions i received were that if the second test still shows sperm, you go into the rotunda and generate a sample there. They then analyse it within an hour to test if any of the sperm are viable. If not, it is considered that you are sterile. If they are viable then i guess the vasectomy has failed.

Thanks for the info...

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Started to look into getting this procedure done myself.

Had a search through the thread and not sure if this crowd have been discussed ?

gentleproceduresireland.ie/vasectomy/no-scalpel-procedure

Has anyone any experience with this clinic ?

Don't worry about it yet. Failure rate is very low. Chances are that your next sample will be clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mrincredible

Booked in with Dr McCormick at start of October. Thanks to all here for sharing their stories. Have two perfect kids, neither of us want any more. Happy to start being able to do things as a family of four and give the kids the best we can without the worry of another arriving unexpectedly. I supposed no procedure is risk free, but then I supposed getting into the car isn't either. All about looking at the risk and reward. Any advice on pre -op from those who've been there, done that, greatly appreciated. I'll stick a post up myself post and share my experience. Nervous about it, but also thinking it's something I wish I done 6 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Don't get worked up about it, my first two samples came back with a small number in them. "Barely above the minimum" was what I was told on the second one, nevertheless we proceeded to a live sample, which came back completely clear. Very, very rare that it wouldn't.

I tell myself that I was so fertile that it took forever to clear the pipes :p

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

Had mine done Friday the 3rd, I'm still a bit tender on one side from it, but he gave me a heads up saying there was a healthy amount of blood vessels on that side and it may be a bit more recovery due to that.

Procedure is completely pain free, more uncomfortable than anything else, it took around 15 mins.

In terms of pre-op I shaved everything about 2 weeks before, and shaved again around 4 days before the big day.

Realistically it seems like you'd only need to do around the back of the shaft and middle of your scrotum as that's the entry, but I'd imagine all of it being gone makes a cleaner work area for the doc.

Pick up some nurofen and have that ready, or grab it in the boots which is just around the corner from his practice. I took it 30 mins after as the anaesthetic was wearing off and I had a 2 hour drive ahead of me so it was needed.

I didn't pick up a jock strap but I think some lads have, and in hindsight I wish I did. I wore tight fitting boxers though which seemed to do an ok job keeping things from moving too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Dr John McCormack rang me last week and said my sperm is all clear so procedure worked out fine.

Does he send out a letter just confirming this or am I being paranoid haha?

Advertisement