Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Champix Diary

• 14-08-2021 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

About me:

42 year old male. Smoking 20 a day and Have been for around 25 years.

Have tried patches and gum with little effect. Over the past few months I have lost interest in smoking and was smoking for the sake of it with my OH just to get away form the computer while working from home.

We both went to the doctor and both prescribed Champix Starter packs.

Goal for last cigarette is the 28th August.

I will log daily how champix influences quiting and list any side effects.

Today is Day 1

Day 1 I have taken the single tablet this morning.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Best of luck with it to both of you OP. Champix works for most people. It’s when you stop the tablets again that you need to be strong and not pick up a smoke again.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

Day 2 Yesterday

Same as Day 1 , Tablet in the morning time

There are 2 things i've noticed the night of Day 1. & 2 and that is very odd dreams that stick in your Head when waking up.

Also second guessing if I want a cigarette during the day.

Today is Day 3.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Yes I tried Champix twice. First time I stayed off the smokes for a year. I had very vivid dreams that when I woke up they seemed real. I dreamt someone was stealing my horses. I ended up going outside in my pjs and wellies with a dog under my arm in the middle of the night to check they were still there 😏.

Second time I tried champix I was seeing spots and stars so had to stop taking it. I hope if works well for you.

Seems Odd alright

My dreams seem to have a negative feel about them ( the ones I remember )

This morning I woke up from a dream where 2 young fellas where fighting.

The 2 lads were people who were best friends I had last known or met over 24 years ago and not sure I have thought of them since.

Anyways Day 3 and third tablet taken.

From tomorrow im on 2 tablets a day

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DennyPa

Well done .42. , Im planning to start them soon. Have made the appointment with the doc. Keep up the good work

• Advertisement

Day 4

now I have to take 2 tablets a day.

1 morning - 1 evening

last night was the first night without mad dreams

Yesterday Day 5

tablet in the morning and evening

starting to get a strange taste from cigarettes but not enough to put me off.

also dreams are getting odd again. Tends to involve people I haven’t seen in years

Yesterday Day 6

Again 2 tablets and mad dreams. Ive had no other side effects really.

For the first week you are taking 0.5mg tablets

Day 1 - 3 you take 1 dose of 0.5 mg

Day 4 to 7 you take 2 dose of 0.5mg

From tomorrow the tablets are 1mg each so in the future I will be taking 2mg a day. 1mg morning / 1mg evening.

Update . Im on Day 12

Have cut down the number of cigarettes by half to 10 a day

Side effects can be tiredness, Dizzyness, Feeling nauseous near the end of a cigarette.

3 days to my planed last cigarette

Thats excellent going. How much was the course of Champix?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If I remember rightly a starter pack (1 month) set me back 110ish quid.

Cheers for that. keep up the good work.

Yep, I got the 4 week starter pack for 104 euros I think.

As its only available via prescription you will need to include the Doctors fee to get total cost.

I paid 175 all together but im trying to quit a 400 euro a month habit.

Just a heads up that not all pharmacies have Champix in stock and so call around your locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

Well done .42. Best of luck. I was off them before for 6 months with champix. Found champix really good, I know a few others off them years with champix.

As you said i had the crazy dreams while using the champix but totally worth it for the end result.

How you getting on now .42?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I tried Champix after being a heavy smoker for 20 years. About 1/2 way through the course maybe two weeks in after quitting I broke down and smoked all weekend, that was about 12 years ago and I haven't smoked since. Still miss cigarettes but I can live with that. The one thing that shocked me was the extra money, when you smoke you rationalise the spending away.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Genuinely delighted for anyone making an effort to Quit and best of luck to OP. Just wish I had the will power.

I Tried champix twice over the past 4 years, two attempts and unfortunately it didn't work for me. I must caveat my experience with mentioning I have a Thyroid Disease with additional side affects including chronic insomnia and other complications, So unfortunately Champix wasn't suitable for me.

I've since spoke to others who've said Champix along with will power was successful for them in particular the gradual approach involved, reducing smoking over the course of the treatment.

I've reduced the amount I smoke but regrettably still do 🙁

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Sorry I haven’t updated. Im off the smokes 3 weeks today with no issues.

still on Champix and started week 7 which is part of the maintenance pack.

I have a prescription for 12 weeks

Ditto with the OH

4 Weeks today off the smokes,

No issues to report.

Feeling pretty good and sleeping very well. No more of that stuffed up feeling in the mornings.

5 Weeks today off the smokes. No Struggles.

Will get my 3rd and final maintenance pack this week and which means only 4 more weeks of taking the tablets.

So far , so good :)

• Advertisement

Just an update, due to an EU recall , Champix is no longer available

I have now been prescribed 35 days of Zyban which will be my final prescription.

6 Weeks today off the smokes

Today is week 7 off the smokes and have stopped taking tablets for the past week as I was forgetting to take them. Have 0 interest in Cigarettes now and dont even think about them even after a more then a 25 year habit.

have also went from a couch potato to a swimming 7 days a week after work will start adult swimming lessons soon to improve my technique.

life has really changed from depressive to enjoyment and can feel both my mental and physical health drastically improving.

Week 8 off the smokes. 😋

Today is 9 Weeks since giving up my 25 year, 20 a day smoking habit.

I have to say that it was going down the Medication route like Champix and Zyban that finally help me beat that horrible habit.

Can’t believe 10 weeks off the smokes today.

As New Years is approaching, It’s a good time around now to start medication to have a smoke free start to 2022 if that’s the direction you want to go in.

As stated Champix is no longer available but Zyban can be used as a replacement and is available in Pharmacies.

Next week is 3 months off the smokes

Advertisement