Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you Happy with your Zappi

• 09-08-2021 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Just wondering anyone using a Zappi long term and are they Reliable.

Trying to decide on Zappi or EO Mini Pro 2. for new wall charger.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭zg3409

Zappi is best and most expensive charger (there are a couple more expensive)

I'm terms of reliability there is the odd issue but the manufacturers are extremely responsive and will send out free replacements nearly overnight.

The downsides

It's physically large and if tethered you could have up to 8metres of heavy cable to wrap up or hide.

The menu on the front is somewhat basic, hundreds of options, but lots of up and down scrolling.

To get it online with app you need to pay 120 euro extra for hub,

App is somewhat basic and easy to use. It should improve with time with regular updates and bug fixes.

Some niggly points, if using solar it generally works ok, but you need your car home daytime a lot, and cars typically won't start to charge until you have about 1000watts of excess solar being exported, so not very often and cars charge slowly, not 7000 watts like normal rate.

The zappi measures the incoming AC for deciding exports and it does not generally work well if you have a solar battery.

The zappi does not know the charge % of the car, so you can't say charge car to 80% before you leave for work. This is a limitation in the standard used to talk to the car, not easily fixed, but it does limit the options to mix solar and overnight charging, ideally you want to maximise solar, but not at the cost of car having low charge level when you need to use it

For solar and zappi you may need to buy one or two eddie sensors too.

In terms of EO mini pro 2, I don't know it much, but I think it's small and untethered. Untethered is more suitable if you don't need a charge often or want a beat install. You will probably want a second cable otherwise you need to put a wet lead into your boot for public charging, or you will end up needing to public charge and have no cable.

If you have an instant shower or heat pump then you need load monitoring then make sure it has it. This may be extra.

If it has internet connectivity for an app then this might be an optional extra. Apps for chargers are a bit over rated. You won't need it day to day.

Any charger will work at same 7.2kW rate and you can use a timer in the car for night rate and if car has an app it will be used more than app for charger.

Note you should consider a home charger a long term addition to your house. It may last longer than the car and still be in use in 10 or 15 years. Shop around, prices vary wildly, you can get quotes by email by sending photos of fuse board and intended charger location. Some installers have a big backlog, so you might be waiting weeks for them to show up. You need SEAI grant approval before any work starts so apply today if you have not, even if you don't have the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Comer1

If you're happy with your zappi clap your hands 👏👏

Sorry, couldn't resist

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭turnfan

I have a Zappi, and I think it's overly complex, and had tripped a good new times, leaving me low on charge.

At the price charged, the hub should be integrated in it to at least alert me to an error.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RevID3

Many thanks for a very informed response. Lots to ponder and very much appreciated.

• Advertisement

ini

Thanks for that..Have seen a lot of comments that the Zappi is very sensitive and can trip the breaker easily..I think EO Mini is looking the better option

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

My Zappi V2 does not trip anything. Ever. Very happy with it as i would like to use solar with it down the line.

Maybe that user depends on the installer or the house wiring?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Mine has never tripped either. If its tripping it could be a faulty RCBO, which is nothing at all to do with the Zappi. I've never heard of it being sensitive to tripping the breaker easily.

Having said that, the Zappi is not faultless. I think every charge point has negative stories about them. The Zappi is very popular (10s of thousands of them out there) so you will of course hear bad things. A niche, low volume charge point might have very little negativity because its not out there much yet. Its the nature of the internet.

I think your purchase decision should really be down to what features you want and decide from there. I dont think your decision should be on a few anecdotal examples of one failing over the other.

Both will do the job just fine and you just have to hope you dont get a lemon example (like buying a car) and ensure you get a competent installer.

Things to consider.

• Tethered or untethered
    • App support
    • Load sensing. Important if you have electric showers, heat pumps etc. An optional extra for some charge points and others dont do it at all which means spending money on a priority switch which drives up the cost.
    • Solar PV integration... do you plan to add Solar panels to your house in the future.
    • Aestethics, some people want small/discreet since its usually at the front of the house.
    • Customer support
    • Budget

Weigh all those up and then decide.

I'm happy with the Zappi. Any issues I had were fixed FOC and with good customer support.

Many thanks for throwing the cat among the pigeons as they say..

Onward and upward with the research...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Never an issue with my Zappi2, full suite of MyEnergi products and would recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

also doing some research, hope you dont mind the question.....

Why do I need an app for the charger ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

You dont, but it gives you more info for charging and house consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

You don't NEED an app. But it can be convenient to start or stop a charge from your phone. I have a Zappi and I don't have the app. If you have Solar PV or are planning to get one then the Zappi is a no-brainer IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The eo mini pro has a tethered and untethered version. Also it does load management for electric showers etc.

Thanks..Swaying big time towards the EO Mini Pro 2..Lots of bells and whistles on the Zappi which in time will probably never use. Plus the fact if you want full functionality you have to lash out another 150 for the Harvi unit just to be able to use the app.

At least if the EO go's down you still have a Dumb Socket to charge the car presumably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Comer1

I went for tethered zappi over the EO because of how neat it is with the cable wrapped around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

At least if the EO go's down you still have a Dumb Socket to charge the car presumably.

Not sure what you mean. If it goes down , its down. No charging, regardless of which one you pick.

If you are referring to just the app, its optional on the Zappi. If the app isnt working the charge point is still fully operational and configurable via its own menus. The app is a convenience feature only.

Good point, I did mean "If the app go's down"...Good to know about the Zappi..Thanks for your time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

We have a Zappi, using it to charge a BMW 530e and a VW ID4. It isn't connected to PV, but it's good to have the option for the future if needed.

Because of the well-known shortcomings in the VW's charge timer, we rely on the Zappi to charge on night rate electricity. I'm astounded that neither Zappi nor VW can simplify their logic to give a simple "Start charging at time A and stop charging at time B" menu. Having said that, setting the Zappi to a scheduled boost time at night overcame the issue - I just wish it was less clunky and more intuitive.

We have never tripped anything in the house yet. Overall, I believe the charger is as good as anything else on the market and success/failure depends largely on how good your installer is.

That's some great info to ponder..I like what you said that the Zappi is only as good as the competence of the installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

My EVSE supplier discussed/advised on the various options prior to recommending a particular EVSE, in my case the Zappi. They then had their recommended installer visit the house to survey and quote for the install. All that helped the learning experience.

Just as a matter of interest, how long have you had it installed, and any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

Since April, 2021. No issues whatsover. When I got it, I had a small bit of a learning curve as I had no previous experience of EVs, other than from chatting to people. My supplier was very on the ball, and very accommodating re any questions I had before and after purchase.

I sent you a p.m.

I am in contact with the Head man from Zappy due to severe radio interference from the unit which of course has a serious impact to me having an Amateur radio license anyway they pulled out all the technical specs and all the list of regulations is passes and all that which is fine but I know what happens, they come up with a prototype with all the hardware and components necessary to pass these tests then for production removes components and/or alters the circuit to save money.

So I said to them, that's all lovely to have all the technical jargon lads, thanks but I just proved that your Charge Point breeches many regulations so fix it, that's several weeks ago now, so they're supposed to be sending me a test charge point and if that works then they'll replace the one on the wall.

Why does this matter to anyone ? well, I can contact COMREG which can make Zappy investigate and fix every single Zappy with this issue because I'm damn sure they're all the same not only that, anyone with a Zappy or any other EV charge point or electrical appliance for that matter can be made remove it because it breeches local, EU and international regulations as the radio spectrum is protected, obviously there are far more uses for radio than most People realise but the effects to more of the radios people have in their homes they can relate to are their home WiFi and internet modems as this interference travels through the mains wiring and can cause intermittent issues such as loss of internet connection to ISP and/or random WiFi disconnects as this interference travels through the mains wiring from source back to the grid picked up by the power supply of the effected device. COMREG have all the equipment to track the source of this noise to your door.

I can/should also contact Ofcom and E.U Regulator.

If anyone has a radio that can work on the AM/MW band bring it close to the zappy and turn on the radio and charger mains wire that comes from the house electricity to power the zappy ( or any charge point ) and if it causes the radio to make loud noises it's definitely got issues and should be fixed.

There's a solar PV Inverter manufacturer banned in Germany for this same issue.

Hopefully myenergi sort this for future models also but if this is an issue with your Zappi then you'd be wise to contact them to fix it but they're not the only devices, everything from no name off the shelf led light bulbs in woodies or Ikea can cause lots of issues and bad laptop power supplies, don't buy electronic stuff from China directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

can someone tell me how long it can take to get a green light from the SEAI on the grant ? I did the application over a week ago.

Planning on having a Zappi installed next week, but no word from SEAI on this.

thanks

Rob

Hi was in the same boat..Sent all info in..No word until I rang and followed up..Turned out the address linked to the MPRN was not the same as that on the SEAI form I filled in...I did get notification in about 2 weeks to say the address was wrong..

If you don't get a reply with 2 weeks , best to ring to check the progress..Nice people to talk to and no waiting time on the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭THE ALM

took exactly a week to get confirmation for us

Advertisement