Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

You'll get your hole in the wall at Preston St and you'll like it

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I'm not sure [i]need[/i] is too important, plenty of things are desirable even if not strictly needed. A nice station building with proper toilets (seeing as there won't be any on the trains), a cafe, some convenience retail, maybe even some community/event space which is not uncommon in train stations elsewhere, are all desirable. I'm sure you'll say what is proposed under the arches will be fine but it would be nice to go beyond fine sometimes. It may be aspirational but I think that is allowed from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I think that's called "getting notions" Pete

Always remember we live in a State where a rail link to the airport has been poo-pooed because "sure we have buses".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Toilets, cafés and a shop are all available a 2-3 minute walk away along platform 4 in Connolly Station already.

I think you’re losing the run of yourself a bit. This isn’t a new station. It’s just another entrance to an existing one, Connolly, which already has full facilities.

As someone who works in the area, and taking previous history and my own experiences into account, I would strongly be of the view that a straightforward entrance with minimal facilities is exactly the best strategy for this entrance.

• Advertisement

Not losing the run of myself at all, just saying what "ideally" I'd like to see and I think "it's a pity" that can't happen. I accept that's not happening but I don't think it's unreasonable to have hoped for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭yascaoimhin

Am I missing something? The new entrance at Preston Street includes space for 6 new retail outlets under the arches, as well as a staffed ticket office. There are no toilets that's true but there's more than enough space for them.

What's clear that this isn't just an additional back entrance to the platforms, but a new entrance concourse, with lifts, staircases and escalators to all DART platforms.

There's still time to register for the webinars. Just email dartwest@irishrail.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Thanks! There seems to be a lot of anger in Ashtown about the stables and underpass based on tonight's webinar.

I don't see how that can go ahead now. This is very strong opposition.

• Advertisement

I'm wondering would the same people oppose a bridge over the railway?

I just assumed the owners of the stables were open to being bought out as I'm sure the DART+ team will have engaged with them on this. Is this not the case or is it people getting angry on their behalf?

Probably not as much but it would depend on the impact on Ashtown Stables. There seems to be two major points being raised.

One is the feeling of safety around the underpass. Some of it may be well founded, some of it sounds like an association of underpasses with danger. Either way, it sounds like a strong widely held view in the Ashtown area.

The other issue is the CPO of the stable. I had no idea how popular it was. It seems like it's mostly used by children in the area. If what they're saying about the way Irish Rail communicated with them (or didn't communicate, rather) is true then it seems Irish Rail learned nothing from the NTA and TII's MetroLink disaster on Mobhi Road. This shouldn't have escalated to this level. 3000 petition signatures in a week and 100 people attending an online webinar to complain about the stable being CPOed. Even an entire BusConnects corridor would struggle to muster up that kind of opposition.

Post edited by Peregrine on

No, they're not leaving without a fight. The owner was on the call. Says he has refused multiple offers from developers over the years.

It's an interesting conundrum. I can understand the fear of an underpass and the worry that lifts to a pedestrian bridge will frequently be out of order. I can imagine that dropping the railway below the canal for a kilometre or two is safe though. I'm guessing a road+pedestrian bridge will be the outcome but I'm betting that will raise hell with property owners not wanting their view spoiled.

Does anyone have a link to the option selection for the Ashtown level crossing/station?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭densification

If only there was roughly 1000 acres of grass fields nearby where the stables could be relocated. 🙄

Not sure if you are referring to the Phoenix Park or not but I'm sure there would be resistance to giving anyone a piece of it. If you are referring to Dunsink, I think that would work. The land is unused now and has limited use potential for a very long time. They could have a much bigger facility there. Teagasc lands could be another option.

If nothing is going to be good enough for the owner, I think closing the LC with only pedestrian/cyclist bridge being provided is the only option. The road on the northern side is a couple of metres below the canal and a bridge would be several metres above due to clearance for the rail cables, I seriously doubt it will be possible to make the bridge levels work without obstructing the car park and delivery entrances at the back of the block containing Supervalu. I'm pretty sure that this is the only place they proposed going under the canal/rail line because going over just doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭buffalo

I came across the IR image for Preston St today, and I don't understand how it will actually look when complete. The image shows people emerging from a large entrance and walking down a lovely polished road surface (below), but in reality the old post office building is home to a distribution company. I haven't been in Preston Street in a few years, so maybe they've shut up shop, but when I worked in the PO building, there were trucks in and out all day, right to the very end where the loading gate is - https://goo.gl/maps/vQfuL9L3D4z5LcYV7 Not to mention all the on-street parking (including on double yellows 😆) that people will no doubt object to losing.

Anyone any ideas on how this will work in reality?

And sorry for double-posting, I'm also trying to make sense of this table... no sign of any weighting in the documentation. How does more green in the Option column end up meaning green for the Do Minimum?

Post edited by buffalo on

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

buffalo, I haven't been down that way in a while and I don't know if it is just the front of the building or the whole building, but it seems a tech startup called Pointy, which has now been bought by Google, has been in that building since 2018.

Either way, with an entrance to the DART station right next to it, there is no way it remains a distribution building. The whole building will most likely become office space if it isn't already.

You are right about the parking space, though I note some of the cars seen in Google Maps are actually parked on double yellow lines. Doesn't seem to be much actual official parking there that isn't either loading bay or double yellow lines.

I'd expect the nice looking stone could indicate a mixed space if they need to leave some parking space there.

BTW I think the petrol station next to it is being redeveloped into a hotel if it hasn't already.

• Advertisement

Interesting that it looks like Pointy are primarily in the front of the building (numbers 102-103) as opposed to the back (104). That's not to say they haven't merged the two sections internally.

Post edited by buffalo on

I thought I'd see what's proposed for this street and the section of Amiens Street is opens on to in the Clontarf to City Centre Cycle Scheme, due to begin construction this year.

Currently across the road from Preston Street there are 4 packing spaces and a loading bay.

The C2CC Scheme proposes the installed of 16 parking spaces across the road from Preston Street. in which case theres no need to keep parking on Preston itself and they can easily be removed without little need to listen to objections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭gjim

I'm being lazy here - asking instead of googling - but thinking of the Connolly quarter development - will the Preston St. entrance work continue right under the tracks/platforms to accommodate an entrance on the other/eastern side?

There's going to be huge amount of residential in the Connolly quarter and presumably even more in future as the North docks fills out. I'd have thought having a convenient eastern entrance would be even more pressing need than having another one on Amiens st - albeit closer to the DART platforms?

Just to point out that there are a small number of private residences on Preston Street, and the residents of those houses may not want to park their cars further away on Amiens Street, given the significant amount of anti-social behaviour in the area.

I certainly wouldn’t blame them for that and I think that a comment such as “they can easily be removed without little need to listen to objections” in relation to those parking spaces is frankly crass and shows a complete ignorance of the area.

To clarify re the other buildings:

The building at 102-103 Amiens Street is now purely offices. In over four years of working in the area I’ve never seen trucks using Preston Street.

The adjacent petrol station was closed and was to be replaced with a hotel, but has since reopened as a petrol station.

Sorry, I'm no longer willing to bend over backwards to accommodate the storage of private property on public land.

Those residents are in the center of the city immediately next to an intercity and commuter train station, multiple bus routes, a tram line an intercity coach station, several bike hire stations and soon one of the most high-quality cycle routes in the country.

I'm not going to listen to complaints about cars having to be parked across the road. Those vehicles are at much more risk of vandalism on a side road with less passive surveillance t hen next to a main thoroughfare.

So yes, I will not be listening to complaints about "What will happen to my car". It is not my nor the cities responsibility to accommodate the storage of private vehicles in probably the most well connected location in the country.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'd be surprised if those houses on Preston St don't also eventually get redeveloped into offices. Probably that petrol station too. With a DART entrance literally on their door, it will become prime development property.

Well I still happen to think that, living in a democracy, people are entitled to put their views forward and for them to be heard as part of the planning decision.

FYI I am not talking about anyone holding the process to ransom, but their views are as entitled to be heard as yours and mine are.

Throwaway comments such as your initial one really don’t help.

Yeah, heard and then dismissed as overzealous, selfish and unhelpful.

And to clarify, my comment is not a throwaway. I'm deadly serious. Every has the right to submit to these consultations. But under no circumstances does that automatically grant the right to your opinion to be taken seriously.

I've no time for time wasting NIMBYs than anyone else, but I also have no time for some of the zealots out there who feel that the planning laws and processes of the country should not be followed, because that's what you seem to be suggesting here.

For the record I'm 100% behind DART+, but I do think that the planning laws need to be followed.

• Advertisement

No. It isn't. You're exaggerating.

Read what I wrote again and stop jumping to conclusions.

Advertisement