Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ReturnOfThe

Addiction is giving up everything for one thing.

Recovery is giving up one thing for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Binge drinker here.

Nearly 4 weeks sober.

I had to give it up, im diabetic,trying to lose weight.

And the last night i had a drink i made a holy show of myself.Hated feeling tired for days after and i was letting my exercise slip because of it.

I have had a few close calls over the last week,but i worked through it.Even though i ate a load of crap still better than the alcohol..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭tinpib

Yep, making a holy show of yourself is a good motivator alright, I think we've probably all been there. I hope you can get to "I wanted to give it up" instead of "I had to give it up". It's easier when you want to stop, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

5 years and two weeks.

havent missed it at all. Joined a gym, and go there three or four times a week... I couldn’t have contemplated that when I was drinking regularly...Health is what it’s about.

im about 5’11” but weighed 93kgs at my heaviest, 82kgs now... a healthy and safe weight for my height much of the weight too is muscle over gut which used be the reverse..

ive so much more energy, I was drinking pretty much exclusively at night to deal with pretty bad insomnia, influenced by a pretty unhealthy work situation and was victim of a pretty malevolent work environment / toxic relationship with a supervisor... piled with work while certain older creatures got away with making a career of being actively retired, spending half the day yapping/smoking yet still coming in and being on the payroll.

Learned a lesson, health, wellbeing first... feel great now.

When I go to bed tonight it will be day 8. Early days. I look forward to it being in double digits, and then triple digits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭BK92

20 months now. Really happy I gave up drinking as in August I discovered that I have mild autism and ADHD. Anything that messes with focus, sleep and emotions definitely doesn’t help when you’re on the spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Tinwhistle*

1224 days today. I rarely think about alcohol now, even coming up to Christmas. Life is so much easier without it.

Get through each day without thinking about tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Tinwhistle*

It never bothered me one bit. I was at a table with my four children and two partners. I’m so far down the line now that the thought of having a glass of wine was the last thing on my mind.

Getting back on the wagon, fell off for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

If you don't want to answer this its fine but when you say binge. How much drink would it be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭112143

Post edited by 112143 on

Attempting a sober Xmas here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭jmreire

I've done it before for 9 or 10 months, need to occupy myself for those random hours I get bored, anyway 16 days so far this time round

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭jucko

stumbled across this thread, been off the hooch for about ten years, had a major problem with it, lost weight, got fit , am living a happy successful life.

pick the people you surround yourself with , they are your team,

stay focused on this one precious life you have, prepare and have structure and discipline

you have the right to have a happy successful life ..... make it so :)

there are no perfect days, every day has its challenges.

get up early, stretch your body out , get on with it .......

Cheers, its the boredom that gets me in the end so I need to occupy myself with new hobbies and even just being content

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pretty boy floyd

I’ve been off the booze since end of January. I’ve done the booze free weekends, birthday, holidays, etc. First booze free Christmas coming up. For someone who definitely enjoyed a drink, it is going well. I like the alcohol free beers so they help. I was given a health warning that my liver is vulnerable because of something genetic. Not drinking now feels quite easy as I am less anxious about my health and don’t wake up thinking how much did I drink last night. All of this, as in how much it is a state of mind thing, genuinely surprised me. Before Last January, I don’t think I would have gone a weekend without a drink in 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

December 28th 2019. So glad I was off the drink before the lockdowns started. Easiest and best decision I made in a long time. It took a few tries over the years but this time it just felt right. I read the Allen Carr book called Control your alcohol or something like that. Have not missed it for one second.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭jucko

your problems are memories from the past, that recycle themselves in your head , become a new you, leave the problems behind. focus on the future. get fit, it takes time, its a challenge but you feel great, you can do anything when your fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭drydub

Wishing you all a happy and safe xmas to all who hover around this thread, if you haven't dipped your toe yet into knocking booze or have and fell off the wagon, it doesn't matter. The change and chance will present itself to you when the time is right and you are ready for it.

I'm 1396 days alcohol free. I will enjoy a heineken zero over the xmas but i will also enjoy and revel in the hangover free time and early mornings.

2021 has been very active for me, i prioritised my kids and my health (both mental and physical) and Im in a good place. I have a parent who is still battling addicition and alcoholism and I know that there is a lot there to unpack and face in the next 12/18 months. But i am not willing or ready yet for that.

If you are going dry over xmas, good luck to you, remember small achievable goals are your best bet and go easy on yourself. Slips and trips happen, don't beat yourself up and read back on this thread for some decent tips on what has worked for other people.

Nollaig Shona to all on this thread. I lurked for years. I learned for years. And you've supported me for years.

• Advertisement

Thanks Jucko

Becoming a new me sounds more appealing

Well I've lasted 4 weeks now and had no interest in drinking over Xmas and feel better for it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

9 weeks today since my last alcoholic drink. Giving up was the best thing I ever did. If I continued drinking it was only going to end badly for me.

Feel so much better now. I go to bed and get up at the same time every day. I'm appreciating life so much more and am doing things that I had constantly put on the long finger. Still early days obviously but at the moment I 100% do not want to drink again.

I read The Naked Mind and it really resonated with me.

Good on ya, early days still for you but getting through Xmas is a big thing

As much as the restrictions are bad for pubs etc, it certainly makes it easier to give up, after tonight the main Xmas nights are over

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pretty boy floyd

Well done Keeffo! That’s a tricky 4 weeks to not drink so good work😎

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Day 47 due to stomach illness and medication. This is the longest i've gone without a drink in over 30 years. I'm discovering that I used alcohol as a crutch to cope with anxiety issues but in the last seven weeks have learned to cope without it. My garage is full of booze as I drank exclusively at home and I stocked up in advance of MUP. Tbh I'd be happy to stay away from it as I managed fine over Xmas and wasn't tempted once. My OH thought says she'd thought she'd never see me sit down with my new favourite tipple..herbal tea plus I'm in bed every night before midnight with a good book and up early hangover and anxiety free. Best of luck to all battling to stay off alcohol in 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

It's great to see so many on here doing well and discovering life with out alcohol, Times have changed and the pub culture we had is changing for the better, still not a great supply of non alcoholi beers in my local, still no food, he still waiting for the lad to walk in the door and drink 10 pints but its not happening, they are a few at it that haven't seen the light.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Late 40's and would not count myself a heavy drinker. When I was younger I definitely drank alot more. Since covid started have really cut down big time on the booze. Pre covid was out every Saturday night, maybe 8-10 pints, maybe a cure on Sunday. Since covid happened have almost stopped drinking completely even when the pubs opened back up I could not be bothered going out. Did not go out at all over the Christmas and had maybe 2 cans. Its the hangovers that kill me at this stage, its just not worth teh hassle. Drying for days and feeling like sh1te. Life is definitely easier without the drink.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Wishing all on this forum a very Happy and Sober New Year! 👍️👍️

2022 will be my fourth year without alcohol - when I think of how so very bad I was in 2015/16 - in great pain, suicidal, in and out of A&E and hospitals and living - and dying - only to drink.

My life has completely changed for the better since finally getting sober (after many false starts) in early 2019. I have got my career back, my relationships back and my life back. 😊

Great to read back over the thread and see how many people were off the drink for the festive season, don't miss it and will keep it up. May 2022 bring sobriety, peace of mind, and freedom from the tyranny of the bottle.

Advertisement