Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,039 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Damn i loved this show.

What a way to open AEW. The Dark Order video and then the spot light on the stage, brilliant.

The Elite entry with the basket balls, so so good

I was shocked they lost though but I have faith something big will come from this other wise i'd be rightly pissed off.

I was really looking forward to FTR V Proud N’ Powerful but they had to finish it like that because of Cashes injury, just really bad luck. Hopefully they do this again in New York.

Gob smacked at that main event, i did not expect Jericho to really go all in, fair play to him. I'm loving these labors of Jericho as i'm a sucker for new faces coming in. Really spices things up

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Kind of wonder if this is a bit of a retirement tour from Jericho and he'll step back after this. If he's going to end up doing commentary on Rampage, could easily be it.

Also, would be fairly shocked if Punk doesn't debut at Rampage now and has his first match against Darby on the PPV. The pop is going to be ridiculous when Cult of Personality hits.

Potential for Mox Vs Tanahashi coming too as Tanahashi is facing Archer in a NJPW show in the US so will be there. If he can't do All Out, would be great to see him on Dynamite for a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Really disliked this weeks show. Thought they built up the Elite - Dark Order match so well only to ruin it with that bullsh*t from the Elite. Between the entrance, the outfits, and the spots, all the seriousness just drained out of it for their cutesie comedy crap. They're not nearly as funny as they think, and this was not the time or place for comedy. The spot with the Meltzer driver and the missed basketball dunk was embarrassing. It's bad comedy that stopped me watching WWE, I don't need it here. The finish didn't make sense to me either. Feels like it's Page's time.

The main event was terrible. Gage felt lost out there at times and he's just no good as a wrestler. I have no interest in watching people mutilate themselves. There's no skill or talent involved, it's just garbage wrestling. And JUVI as the next labour? Wow. Disappointing.

The rest of the show was mostly good. LAX are a disappointment though. They are so talented but they are just missing something, nothing special about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I've watched that bloody promo enough times not to miss it. :P

Maybe I'm overthinking it but the Punk references throughout the night seemed almost too on the nose. I'll believe it when I see it.

As for The Elite, I just don't get it. Their humour is quite niche in my opinion, maybe I'm on my own thinking that. I just think if you're a randomer flipping the channels, and you see these lads in their late 30s making a Space Jam entrance, you'll pause and quickly carry on flipping.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

RE: Punk

They basically stopped just short of putting up a graphic saying "CM Punk debuts in Chicago". He's 100% now. They wouldn't tease this hard without knowing he was 100% showing up.

Like a lot here I'd love to go an AEW show sometime so hopefully the US open up travel again. Very jealous of anyone going to All Out or the one at Arthur Ashe which sounds like it gets the Bryan debut

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

But Darby said "Best in the world". He could only mean Shane McMahon

Tbf that would be a giant pop too if Shane joined AEW. At this stage it can't not be Punk though and if for any reason it falls apart, you'd actually have to publicly address it. There's too much there now for it to not be him.

Thought this was a great segment and I'm pumped for next week.

Black getting some pop and the pièce de résistance taking Fuego head off.

Welcome to the house of black

• Advertisement

Thought it was a great show last night. Delighted to see Cody getting booed.

I thought the announcement for a Chicago show for Rampage on August 20th was very strange. Punk has to debut here and it'll be their secondary show at 10pm on a Friday. It's a 20,000 seat arena and the biggest arena in Chicago. It's 2 weeks before All Out also in Chicago (a different arena but 3 shows in 5 days) and I think I would have just left his debut for All Out week, either on Dynamite or at All out, then book the United center for November or something for a Dynamite. You'd think they'll have to announce he'll be there to come close to selling it out.

Still very interested to see how it plays out though

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Loved that show. Just such an enjoyable 2 hours - I had a big grin on my face for most of it. It's pro wrestling as I want it.

Must be an eye opener for Cody as the Marshall feud really harmed him.

i personally see him going heel now and it's the perfect opportunuty, fans booing him after all he's done for them etc etc

I still see Cody straddling this tweener thing he's been doing. Even just from last night, Fuego is hugely over so it looked like he was sent out to get his head kicked off to get some heat on Black.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

1.11 million.

Like you, I'm not a big Fuego fan but that sell for the kick was amazing haha

Vince was asked about AEW at a conference call today.

“Well, it certainly is not a situation where ‘rising tides’ because that was when Ted Turner was coming after us with all of Time Warner’s assets as well,” Vince responded. “That was a different situation. AEW is where they are. I don’t really know what their plans are, all I know is what our plans are.

“I don’t consider them competition in the way that I would consider WCW back in the day, not anywhere near close to that. And I’m not so sure what their investments are as far as their talent is concerned, but perhaps we can give them some more.”

Vince did not elaborate on that last line.

I want to see Danielson choke out Justin Roberts with his tie at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Man, Dynamite was very enjoyable, AEW is just fantastic right now. The booking for most part makes sense, its logical and well planned. It feels cool and everything feels important. You feel like its cant miss. Its just always fun. Loved the Eliminator match and the deathmatch was enjoyable.

Its just miles ahead of WWE in terms of enjoyablity. WWE is still a bigger company but its just not watchable. AEW is cant miss TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Not sure how you could be a fan of pro-wrestling and not enjoy the majority of Dynamites. Easily the hottest promotion around at the moment. Getting real 96-97 Nitro vibes at the minute, really feels like anything could happen.

Very good numbers again this week.

There use of pro wrestling indy icons and legends has been amazing, Inwas so sceptical about them using the likes of Sting, Tully,Jake etc, but they use everyone perfectly. Nick Gage is a perfect example.

They bring him in, let him be him (what got him over to begin with) and dont over use him. Same with how they use lads from other promotions and indy stars. Cant wait for Juvi, its a logical throw back and Its cool. Please give him a mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

It's the first time since Takeover Brooklyn 2019 that I've really enjoyed watching wrestling, and these last couple of Dynamites is probably the first time that I've watched a show for more than two consecutive weeks.

Had a massive smile on my face, and legitimately marked out when MJF announced Juvi Vs Jericho. Someone mentioned it reminds them of WCW in 96/97 and had to laugh because I must have said similar myself countless times to my mate when I watched it last night.

On holidays from work for a bit and will be catching the upcoming show live, and can't remember the last time I stayed up for a PPV never mind a weekly show. AEW has finally hooked me back in as fan and got me back excited to watch wrestling.

Black, while the character isnt my cuppa tea, has been pushed very well since coming in and AEW have him looking a million bucks. That kick looked so good, great timing from each man.

The graphic is so cheesy though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Every crowd they've had since the fans return have been molten hot. No coincidence, the pandemic era booking got a tonne of groundwork laid for a lot of the roster, got a host of mid card and above wrestlers over and they're reaping the rewards now. Everyone and everything comes across so much better in that atmosphere too.

The acoustics seem poor. Its like anti WWE. In WWE you can see no fan reaction yet here cheers, in AEW you can see them chanting but barely hear it loud as the acoustics are off.

They are so hot for some acts its great, esp many non former WWE. Hangman, John Silver, Jungle Boy, Penta, MJF..... love to see it.

Clearly all the people cheering in WWE are camera side so you can't see them but they're being picked up clearly on the camera's mic. What else could it be? 😀

Not a fan of garbage wrestling but that did the job for the story they are telling with MJF and Jericho, Now never use Gage again and wrestlers want to try their hand at garbage wrestling let them do it at Gages own shows like Ryder is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

First big misstep from Khan & Co allowing that garbage on the air on Wednesday with Gage & Jericho. It's fine if you want to do this stuff on low level indie wrestling but it really has no place in major league, nationally televised wrestling. The wrestling was amateur and the violence was gratuitous. TNT will not be happy that one of their advertisers is publicly expressing dissatisfaction. Hopefully all involved learn a lesson here and that is the last time we see this sh*t.

https://www.f4wonline.com/aew-news/dominos-issues-statement-after-aew-dynamite-pizza-cutter-usage-348506

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

I doubt TNT are that bothered, not judging by the media email they put out about the ratings and the success of the show anyways, they even name Gage in it.

I'd say they are happier getting good ratings rather than worrying about dissatisfaction from Domino's. I'm sure Domino's wouldn't have been unhappy to be trending either really.

I don't get why people are crying about the match, apparently some of Cornettes drones emailed Domino's complaining. Like what's the difference to barbed wire, thumbtacks, flaming tables, graters etc etc that have been used in multiple different promotions.

Advertisement