Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Killarney Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,559 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Can anyone recommend restaurants with lots of outdoor dining that are available to book in Killarney? We plan to visit next week.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

I was there last weekend. I rang every place I could think of about 2 weeks to 10 days in advance and was told by every single one that they were taking walk ins only, no bookings. So we just decided to cook in the apartment until we unexpected found 2 places for dinner.

Went for a walk around town on Saturday afternoon and there was Qs in places even that early. The town is absolutely crazy, far worse than I've ever seen it before.

We we ended up eating in The Golden Nugget in Fossa on Sunday (about a 10 minute drive from Killarney) and Griffins in Castlemaine on the way to Dingle. Both were great, but I know Castlemaine might be a bit far to travel.

I dont see you being able to get a booking but best of luck and I hope you can. The Golden Nugget is worth the quick spin out to it though, massive area and no Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Food is apparently great out in the Nugget, I have not been out there since they opened up the outside area. Also worth trying is Kate Kearneys at the entrance to the Gap of Dunloe. Food is great there too (It's essentially operating like a take away, but there are plenty of seats out there).

Inside in town, the East Avenue is just outside the town centre, so you can often get a place there as it's somewhere that people don't always think of. And I'm pretty sure that Malarky is after opening up an outdoor area behind the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Golden Nugget must have improved a lot over lockdown, last time I was there (pre-Covid), the food was terrible. Pints were good though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Apologies if asked before but when did Burger King Killarney close down? Only noticed it vacant the last day.

• Advertisement

Early 2020 if I remember correct. It may have been that they closed for lockdown and never re-opened, or maybe they had closed just before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭madcabbage

No surprise it closed down, its in a bad spot. That and lack of drive-thru, they probably weren't doing enough business i reckon.

I know they were refused permission to open later a few times too, so they could not even get the pub crowd. The only chipper in the area forced to be closed by 1.

There are 2 other chippers (Mike's and Allegro or whatever it's called now) and a Chinese within a 5 to 10 second walk of BK. Far from the only one in the area.

I do agree with your point that it made no sense for them not being allowed to open late though.

I did not say they were the only chipper in the area, I said they were the only one in the area forced to be closed by 1am.

I believe the last time they applied the main objectors were Mikes Takeaway, on the grounds that the area was already a hot spot for noise and litter late at night and Burger King would make it worse.

• Advertisement

Ah, completely my bad. I read your other post totally wrong first time. It makes total sense now, my apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Radio5

Are there any waste disposal companies that one can hire a skip from in the Killarney area - other than KWD? It's for domestic not commercial use.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

Anyone know if the pools have the steam room open around town

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

Anywhere good to watch the semi final tomorrow Sat 28th like open air big screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Most pools have Sauna/Steam Rooms, not sure if any are open

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Popped over to Killarney last week to check out the new cinema's main screen with reclining seats. A nice novelty but don't think I'd be too bothered either way.

I wonder how the existing cinema is getting on? If they keep flogging the same mainstream tat as the Omniplex, I think they could be on a hiding to nothing. Can't compete with Omniplex's €14.99 monthly subscription.

Anyone know how it ended up in independent ownership? I remember when it was the Killarney Cineplex, it was part of the Ward Anderson empire. I'm assuming it had something to do with the falling-out/split between the Wards and the Andersons some years ago.

Killarney Cineplex was always independent and before it, the cinema which was there was owned by the same family, the Coopers, 3 or 4 generations

They were supplied by Ward Anderson but are a casualty of that fallout, they have had many serious offers for the building due to its location and size, can't see the next generation keeping it going

That would explain it. They used WA branding, website etc so obviously had a pretty close relationship. I'm guessing Cineplex was some sort of franchise model then.

That building would definitely fetch a good price anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I heard that the East Avenue had bought the cinema a few months back.

The person I heard it from would be fairly clued in so I'd be surprised if it wasn't accurate.

Having said that I did only hear it from one person.

It didn't re-open straight away when it was allowed when the COVID restrictions were eased - I think it only opened a month or so after it was allowed. I was surprised because I would have thought that with the amount of Irish tourists, especially families, around, it would have done fairly good business.

You would think that there is not likely to be enough demand to keep two cinemas going in the one town.

It will be interesting to see how things play out.

If the new cinema insists on clamping its customers it wont last very long.

No way of paying outside, you must mention it when buying movie tickets, pay for parking and go back out to put a parking ticket in the car. That's not going to be compatible with a parent bringing kids.

It should be free parking or if they insist on charging, make it easy for people by having machines or park by text.

• Advertisement

When I was over last week, there was a chap at the door handing parking vouchers to cinema goers that were valid for three hours. I also spotted parking meters outside. €1.50/hr.

If they're not strict with the parking, folk will only take the proverbial there. Incidentally, was in Lidl Edward St yesterday and saw several cars clamped.

Fair enough. I'll put it down to "teething problems" on opening then as from what you say, they've rectified the problem. I'd only go to the cinema in the evenings and car parks in town are free after 6 so I wouldnt bother going to the new one if I had to pay for parking.

Where is Edward Street? I've never had any issues in Lidl in Killarney.

Yeah, it was last Saturday evening so hopefully they're getting to grips with things now. Still had to walk from the cinema back to the car with the parking ticket so that minor hassle remains.

Edward St is the Tralee Town Centre Lidl. They seem to be (literally!) clamping down now on folk leaving their vehicles there for more than sixty minutes.

The Outlet Centre in the evenings, Free Parking and walk up 🤫

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Listrydude

what's the story with the Danny Mann? I know there was a fire at the rear a few months ago but I'm surprised it hasn't reopened yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Quahog217

Anyone know what pub I would get in later to watch man utd match without vaccine passport

Haven't heard of a pub not checking covid certs yet thankfully. That's not to say there are none, I just dont know which ones arent.

Scotts will most likely have it on outdoors in their covered, heated, area.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Quahog217

You sound like great craic 😂 what will you do after the 22nd October when it stops, just assume everything is magically OK again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Of course it will be OK. Didn't the government say so. 🤣

Advertisement