Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I bet you didn't know that this thread would have a part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

The Dublin Whiskey Fire took place on the 18th of June, 1875 in the Liberties area of Dublin City. It lasted a single night but killed 13 people, and resulted in €6 million worth of damage in whiskey alone, People drank the 6-inch deep river of whiskey that is said to have flowed as far as the Coombe

In all, 13 people are understood to have died as a result of the fire. None of the deceased perished in the flames, nor did they die of smoke inhalation - each succumbed to alcohol poisoning from drinking “freely of the derelict whiskey”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Here's some Mission Impossible trivia for you. Tom Cruise is now older filming Mission Impossible 7 and 8 than Jon Voight was filming Mission Impossible 1. Jon was 58. Tom is now 59.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

There are churches in Europe displaying dragon bones right behind the tomb of the saint who slew it.

St. Donatus of Arezzo:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E6977EVX0AA-bfe?format=jpg&name=360x360

Wawel Cathedral:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E698gvPXoAEYi8G?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

apologies this isnt the right thread BUT....

Im watching who wants to be a millionaire...

question for 4,000 comes up...

Which hand on a clock moves 1,440 times per day?

A - Second hand B - Minute Hand C- Hour hand D - Something else I cant remember

Anyways, I do a bit of quick mental maths, 24 hours, 60 mins, so yeah a minute hand , B final answer I says.

Yerone playing says A, The second hand, final answer.

AND SHE WAS CORRECT. WTF

So i went to google and found this

"In 24 hours, the hour hand makes (24*1/12 = 2) revolutions and the second hand goes round (24*60=1440) times."

soooooooooooo, i bet u didnt know i cant figure out what the hell is going on. Please enlighten me somebody smarter than I

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The minute hand moves once a minute.

In reality they are usually geared down from the second hand so lots of smaller moves.

• Advertisement

Dont mean to be arse,but was the question move or go around the clock??

The second hand geos around 1440 times

,while the minute hand geos around 24 times

The hour hand geos around twice

oh wait, so yo mean its revolutions of the clock or something? rather than actual movements?

Be an arse all you like, just help me understand!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It depends on how the question was actually worded. If it's "moves", then you're right (keeping in mind what Capt'n said); if it's "revolutions", then the contestant was right. Unless it's one of those 24 hours clocks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭b318isp

It must be revolutions, as the minute hand completes one every hour, so 24 times a day.

The second hand makes one revolution a minute, so 1440 revolutions in the day.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I am fascinated by the Mandela effect but rarely get caught out with it. Knew ET said ‘ET home phone’ and Chief Brody saying ‘you’re going to need a bigger boat’ but my head literally exploded when I watched Field of dreams yesterday, a film I’ve seen literally dozens of times and heard ‘Build it and he will come’. Wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Evade

That seems a bit far fetched. What's the point of the RAF letting the Germans know they can see through their fake airfields? They'd be better off letting the Germans waste time, men, and resources building fake airfields they knew weren't real.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,101 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yeah i've seen that story debunked by military historians. Not only is it a waste of time but every bombing raid resulted in the loss of some aircraft and lives.

I was reminded of the truce on Christmas day. Plus, one-upmanship is nothing new and people in dangerous situation can be foolhardy. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if it were true.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,101 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

there are so many unbelievable elements that i would be very surprised if it was true. for instance the picture of the "wooden bomb" isn't a wooden bomb. It is a targeting flare or something on those lines. second, if it was a wooden bomb that had been dropped the display would consist of splinters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Evade

If you go to the article this article is sourced from it really sounds like the author wanted it to be true.

But then again like ohnonotgmail wrote WWII was very weird at times. Chopping up a Royal Navy ship until it vaguely resembles a German ship packing it with explosives and sailing it into a dry dock before blowing it up sounds like it shouldn't have worked but it did.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

‘Krupp Patent Zünder’ is what was stamped on the fuses of British shells used to kill Germans in WWI

Vickers sold the UK government 14,139,000 of fuze no. 80 and charged them 1 shilling 2d for the Krupp royalties on each fuze.

But they didn't give the money to Krupp.

• Advertisement

Three doctors measured the amount of nicotine in plants of the nightshade family: comprising tobacco, they also include aubergines, but also tomatoes and potatoes, all species containing nicotine. A sample result: ten kilogrammes of eggplants, or aubergines, provide as much nicotine as one cigarette.⁠

"Scientists can grow teeth out of the stem cells found in urine⁠⁠Extracting stem cells from urine samples, researchers at the Guangzhou institute of biomedicine then proceeded to grow artificial teeth from there. As the teeth were not as hard as natural teeth, and the cells not in their best state, urine might not be the best source: further research is needed."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Ok, ok, I'll go there.

That's just taking the pi55

😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

to me it very clearly sounds like “if you build it, he will come”

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

They've already done it, I'll find the link later.

"Norway hires shepherds from Nepal to build paths in the Norwegian mountains. They have completed over 300 projects, and their pay for one summer equals 30 years of work in Nepal."

"Slinky, the toy, was originally designed during WW2 to help sensitive instruments remain steady on ships… to counter the effects of pitch, roll, and yaw. The engineer working on them knocked one off his desk accidentally, saw the way it moved from the table to the chair, to the floor, and a new purpose was born.

On a side note… during the Vietnam War, when the Slinkys were metal, radio operators would carry them through the deep jungles. If they couldn’t get a good signal in the jungle mountains, they’d sling a Slinky high into the tree limbs while holding onto one end. It created an instant antenna extension that they would attach to the radio."

• Advertisement

"Richard Norris Williams was a Titanic Survivor who spent over 6 hours waist-deep in freezing water – after rescue doctors wanted to amputate both his legs – he refused and went on to win the Wimbledon Men’s Doubles in 1920."

https://old.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/omtvns/til_dick_williams_a_titanic_survivor_who_spent/

Advertisement