Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Just bugs / missing functionality reports - no griping

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I don't know if it's just me, but on vBulletin, when you hovered your mouse on a thread title, you'd get a box with the first chunk of the OP text.

That used to be handy to get an idea on what the thread is about without having to click through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Big performance issues using codeblocks. highlight.js v9 seems to be the cause. It's reported here that highlight.js v10 does not have the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

i no longer get notifications on my followed threads, even though I’ve bookmarked them. I end up having to scroll through all the topics to find a followed thread to see if there’s any new posts 🙁.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭mortimer33

I miss the followed forums list and being able to choose a forum to browse. Will this feature be coming back?

On both desktop and mobile, click categories and then view:following.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I clicked "Categories" - it's not going well so far:

Another bug - on many forums the "last post" column is randomly displaying the date/time of the first post in the thread.

Unfortunately, that happens if you haven't followed any forums yet. Which I don't think is even possible on desktop with the current boards.ie theme which hides that button.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭mortimer33

I get this error too. I was following 20+ different forums before the upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,775 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You need to go to the Touch site, mark the forum with the star, then they'll appear in your categories under "followed" on the desktop site.

Clear as mud, I know 🙄

• Advertisement

Bug Report - Private Profile

• If a user sets their profile as "private" then they can not be put on an ignore list by any other user
    • If a user sets their profile to private, then they can not be sent any PM's. Not a big issue in general, but a pain if you want to discuss something with a mod who has a private profile

Some additional info after testing this with @smuggler.ie

• Issue is on both mobile and desktop
    • User with private profile can message others, who in turn can reply to those messages, but the receiver can not initiate a PM with a private profile user
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭gipi

On mobile site, I clicked on Activity from the menu to see what was in it

Lots of announcements about people being upgraded to level whatever, and notices about people changing their profile image.

But in between these announcements, I am seeing what might be private messages, or messages posted in error, intended as PMs? For example, there was one from a mod addressed to Niamh regarding mod privileges,and another asking about bank accounts.

No clue whether I should be seeing them (I'm not a mod)

The visibility of breadcrumbs on the homepage needs to be looked into. It doesn't need to be there. When in a thread or forum yes but not on the home page. Targeting the homepage should quick fix the issue with:

.BreadcrumbsBox {

visibility: hidden;

}

currently it is set to:

.BreadcrumbsBox {

display: block;

}

The ideal fix would be just deleting the breadcrumbs box on the homepage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I like the saving draft feature .. but its saving too quickly. Can it be set to auto save after 1/2/5 minutes? During typing the site slows while trying to save the post.

@GBX would be nice if you could set a value, probably just needs to be properly optimised. Some freezing issues I've seen with it. It can be resource intensive for some reason.

One I've noticed there replying to the previous post. Typing for example @GBX and continuing a response does not tag a person. You have to tab into their name to link the account. While editing it can continue to resolve the "@" tag while typing.

I note the "Discussions" link now takes me to just posts from my subscribed forums - I think it was previously showing all forums, so this is an improvement, though there's still no way to actually subscribe to a forum on the desktop site.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,313 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I think that happens when you post on someone's wall, rather than PM. It isn't clear that it will be public so I think many are unaware that everyone can see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭djdunny

In Bargain Alerts - the date & time of the most recent post is showing incorrectly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I'm receiving notifications each day for threads I have never subscribed to.

I have unticked all the options in 'notification preferences' a few days ago but the notifications keep coming, up to fifty per day sometimes.

In some forums the screen moves on the mobile site, so it goes over towards the right and block some content. Easy to move back but annoying all the same. I know this was an issue after the migration but it seemed to have been fixed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

That's the same across quite a few areas. They are showing the thread starter and date started under the heading of most recent post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Here's one for you all.. It's no longer possible to access or edit the subscriber preferences. The old links are not redirected, and I've not yet been able to find in the new interface where to go to see/modify the subscription settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I just received a notification of a new post from a thread I started in 2020 - however I don't think I was ever subscribed. maybe I followed the thread originally. But I've had no interaction on the thread other than viewing it briefly this morning. In fact its the first post on the thread since the changeover.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058059052/virgin-tv360-officially-launched/p34

The "where do you get your news" thread in CA/IMHO is missing page numbers so you can't click onto the next page. Some threads have the page numbers unders the opening post. This should really be at the top and bottom of all pages.

On mobile, not sure if it's the same on desktop.

There's no obvious way of finding your previous posts. I have just spent 5 mins hunting around and the only way I could find my threads was in some obscure section of my profile.

It seems a rather obvious and necessary function to have in a complex forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,828 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yes it's on threads which have not been posted in since the switchover.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

On the mobile site, when I press my avatar, an options bar appears, but when I then press the icon for my profile nothing happens. (When I press the icon for notifications, I can see a sliver of what’s supposed to appear in full.)

Also, is there no way to start a reply without going to the bottom of the thread?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Another thing I've noticed is when you're looking at a forum, there is no longer an indicator/tick on the envelope icon to the left of the Thread title to show that you've previously posted in that thread.

I found it a handy feature anyway.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement