Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can you train in the polo grounds in the Phoenix park?

• 31-03-2021 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Anyone know what the story is with running in the polo grounds area of the Phoenix park? I overheard a bloke (think he was connected to the polo club) telling a runner they weren’t allowed to train there. But I’ve seen clubs training there all the time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

teacosy wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story is with running in the polo grounds area of the Phoenix park? I overheard a bloke (think he was connected to the polo club) telling a runner they weren’t allowed to train there. But I’ve seen clubs training there all the time?

Depends on who owns it?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭teacosy

Depends on who owns it?

Isn’t it just part of the Park? There’s no fence around it, the public can enter the area, like most other parts of the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's partially fenced. But nevertheless, unless they were prepping for a match I'd take no noticed of anyone telling me to get off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

If there was a fella on a horse with a great big mallet in his hand I’d probably do what he said, but otherwise go nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Hi,

Answer to your question is generally no (as i have learnt over the years) but it is not a straight yes or now.

Firstly running on the main part of the polo grounds (the actual playing pitch rather than the sidelines) is not allowed. I believe the polo club have full rights to that area and are doing it to protect the surface).
    The sidelines area is allowed to be used but the polo club (backed up to some degree by the rangers) restrict larger groups. Under Phoenix Park rules groups over 15 must have a permit to operate in the club (commercial or non commercial). That permit usually also requires proof of public liability insurance and in my experience both the permit and the insurance are very difficult to get.
    The polo club have been policing this while also disputing the 15 person limit and trying to stop smaller groups. They will also aggressively ensure you keep within the sidelines

Have not run there this year yet but last year was a pain and we had to move to other locations. Rangers are fine but the guy from the polo club was a ****.

When pushing for a permit last year i was told that no new ones were being issued.

• Advertisement

I'd be a bit sceptical that they don't want people running on a surface on which horses run around on with guys often taking lumps out of the ground with mallets in order to protect it.

It'll be grand for individuals running up and down it, not really for organised clubs which is understandable. A few years ago the park started cracking down alright on organised groups without permits, usually commercial crossfit/bootcamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,886 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It was always the case that people weren't officially allowed train there. They turn a blind eye when it's not being actively used but the issue has cropped up a few times over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Hurrache wrote: »
    I'd be a bit sceptical that they don't want people running on a surface on which horses run around on with guys often taking lumps out of the ground with mallets in order to protect it.

It'll be grand for individuals running up and down it, not really for organised clubs which is understandable. A few years ago the park started cracking down alright on organised groups without permits, usually commercial crossfit/bootcamps.

The polo club really dont want anyone there. It has been going on for years. I remember hearing stories about the Chairman of the club chasing people around with a stick to get them off "his" land. I have certainly had the current groundsman shout at me for being on the wrong side of the sideline.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Have used many times but never in a group. I seem to remember a sign saying no other sports (apart from polo, I assume) were allowed, but I always ignored it. Used sidelines only, never then pitch itself.

It's pretty inconsistent so. I used to hang around it a lot, either running the outskirts, which obviously won't be the issue, or played on the ground itself with the kids. I've been on it when there's been functions in the club so it's not like there was nobody around to see.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

There is no official rule against it I don't think, but the groundskeeper can be a bit, well....

Local athletics clubs all use it in summer for interval training, you'd often have 2 or 3 different clubs on it at one time, but I know our coaches always kept yer man sweet, while people from the club have been chased off it / shouted at at non-standard training times while running alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Wasn't there a plan to build a track in the park once upon time...near magazine fort?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭teacosy

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Wasn't there a plan to build a track in the park once upon time...near magazine fort?

I never heard that one. What ever happened to the plan to build the track in porterstown park. Has that happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

You can run there in pairs if one of you carries 2 coconut halves, simulating the hoofbeats of an imaginary horse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

I never heard that one. What ever happened to the plan to build the track in porterstown park. Has that happened?
    Still the plan. Pretty sure it's all approved but not sure of the dates or whether Covid has delayed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Happytuesdays

As others have posted previously, as long as you are off the pitch it's fine

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

You'd think they would open the toilets too the public.there ain't nothing worse than loosing your t shirt or club vest too having a shite around the back of the polo grounds club house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

Advertisement