Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Basil3 wrote: »
    I think after 10 years with Virgin, I think I'm finally jumping ship.

Eir salesman knocked on the door the other day, told him I'm in contract and not interested. He said he'd give me 24 months 1000Mb connection @ €50/month locked in for the full 2 years, and they'd pay any early termination fee from Virgin.

As my 6 months half price is about to finish, and I'm about to jump to €85/month with Virgin, I thought I'd go for it. I've got a couple of weeks to test out Eir before committing, so I'll see how it goes.

To be honest, I'm sick of the annual call to Virgin. Some years it's a breeze, others it's more hassle than it's worth!

Whatever about getting BB from eir for a nifty a month for 24 months I can guarantee you they will not pay your VM exit fee. Anyway aren't you allowed leave VM without penalty because of the price increase? I have until the 7th of August to get out. Be very careful what those door to door guys tell you as it's mostly bull**** to get you signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

Eir salesman knocked on the door the other day

salesman.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hi,
    What is the best deal virgin are giving out at the mo for bb and phone?
    I have 250mb naked bb and world phone and I just started paying €59 a month.

I am going to ring them and threaten to leave!
    :)
    Thanks a mil

I'm gone, I'm going to digiweb on Wednesday, unfortunately it's 60meg fttc but I'm sick to the back teeth of their never ending price increases. From the 7th of August it's going to be €71.50 for 360 BB an absolute rip off and there's no way I'm paying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I'm gone, I'm going to digiweb on Wednesday, unfortunately it's 60meg fttc but I'm sick to the back teeth of their never ending price increases. From the 7th of August it's going to be €71.50 for 360 BB an absolute rip off and there's no way I'm paying that.

Did you look at Vodafone?
    No experience with digiweb or Vodafone.
    Did a stint with eir and never again....

• Advertisement

Millem wrote: »
    Did you look at Vodafone?
    No experience with digiweb or Vodafone.
    Did a stint with eir and never again....

Just looked there now, they're a good bit cheaper than digi, no connection charge either, digi are charging €50, feck sake I should have done my research:(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Just looked there now, they're a good bit cheaper than digi, no connection charge either, digi are charging €50, feck sake I should have done my research:(

Cancel during the cooling off period?

Cancel during the cooling off period?

Yeah I think I will, would the 14 day cooling off start from when I rang or from next Wednesday when I'm connected? I can't believe I was so stupid:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yeah I think I will, would the 14 day cooling off start from when I rang or from next Wednesday when I'm connected? I can't believe I was so stupid:mad:

Just ring them and cancel the installation.

I'm getting the 500mbps down and 50mbps up that Vodafone promised (fibre) so that's excellent for the money (€45 per month, no installation fees, 12 month contract)

Wifi is pants though and the guys that came to install my "superwifi" add on (€5 per month) didn't seem to have a clue what they were at, so have to get them out again

unkel wrote: »
    Just ring them and cancel the installation.

I'm getting the 500mbps down and 50mbps up that Vodafone promised (fibre) so that's excellent for the money (€45 per month, no installation fees, 12 month contract)

Wifi is pants though and the guys that came to install my "superwifi" add on (€5 per month) didn't seem to have a clue what they were at, so have to get them out again

That's the quandary, Digiweb give a brilliant fritzbox router...

• Advertisement

Well Vodafone promise perfect wifi throughout the house for an extra €5 per month (on top of the €45). I'm going to take them up on that. I don't really care about any routers or how brilliant they are as long as I get full speed broadband :p

Well Vodafone promise perfect wifi throughout the house for an extra €5 per month (on top of the €45). I'm going to take them up on that. I don't really care about any routers or how brilliant they are as long as I get full speed broadband :p

They all promise that from a piece of bargain basement junk I'm hoping the Fritz is all I'll need.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Cooling off starts when the product arrives or in this case when the service starts being delivered.

Cooling off starts when the product arrives or in this case when the service starts being delivered.

Thanks. I think I'll stay with Digi, the people are Irish working in Ireland and they have a great reputation.

If it is just for yourself (plus partner) and you are a light user, the 60mbps is probably sufficient. For a family of 5 with everyone a heavy user, it sure wouldn't be enough!

If it is just for yourself (plus partner) and you are a light user, the 60mbps is probably sufficient. For a family of 5 with everyone a heavy user, it sure wouldn't be enough!

I won't be long finding out:pac: It did me perfectly for 5 years I don't see why it should give any bother now I know many families that are living without any bother with a lot less speed.

Families without teenagers maybe :p

Mine use close to 100GB each in 4G data per month. Probably several times that in wifi!

Families without teenagers maybe :p

Mine use close to 100GB each in 4G data per month. Probably several times that in wifi!

Using about 800 Gig a month now, down from around 1,5TB last year, gamers in the house reckon it will be better as the pings on VM were far to long.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

I think after 10 years with Virgin, I think I'm finally jumping ship.

Eir salesman knocked on the door the other day, told him I'm in contract and not interested. He said he'd give me 24 months 1000Mb connection @ €50/month locked in for the full 2 years, and they'd pay any early termination fee from Virgin.

As my 6 months half price is about to finish, and I'm about to jump to €85/month with Virgin, I thought I'd go for it. I've got a couple of weeks to test out Eir before committing, so I'll see how it goes.

To be honest, I'm sick of the annual call to Virgin. Some years it's a breeze, others it's more hassle than it's worth!

Any way of getting that deal by ringing Eir?

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Legit_ie

My father in law asked me to take a look at the deal his is on with Virgin.

Have looked through the bills and can get as far back as 2019 and he's been paying 101 per month since then on what looks like a legacy Horizon deal

"Horizon Complete Bundle Anytime World"

Seems like he may be paying a bit over the odds but I don't know what the equivalent deal on their new plans is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

I remember them telling me on the phone last year that you can qualify again as a new customer after 3 months.
    I wonder what will happen if i sign up as a new customer the day after my current account ends..
    Will it go through or get flagged somewhere?
    I'm going to give it ago anyway.

Thinking of cancelling now and getting the other half to register as a new customer!

Tried it before years ago and they let me go through with the cancellation without any better offers (I did ask!). It was only when the Other Half rang up and went to register an order that they rang me back with a better offer if I got her to fahgedddaboudit.

Let ye know how I get on.

Legit_ie wrote: »
    My father in law asked me to take a look at the deal his is on with Virgin.

Have looked through the bills and can get as far back as 2019 and he's been paying 101 per month since then on what looks like a legacy Horizon deal

"Horizon Complete Bundle Anytime World"

Seems like he may be paying a bit over the odds but I don't know what the equivalent deal on their new plans is.

I used to be on that bundle many years ago. The main benefit is that it came with unlimited international phone calls (using their "landline")

So unless your father has friends / family overseas that he rings a lot, he might want to change package / provider. On the above package the full price I paid was about €92 per month, but most years I got 6 months, sometimes 9 months half price. So he sure is overpaying. Tell him to change all his utilities every year from now on or if he is too old to do that himself, you do it for him!

Treppen wrote: »
    Thinking of cancelling now and getting the other half to register as a new customer!

The virginmedia deals for new customers have gone a lot worse in the last few weeks. Was €49 per month iirc, now it is €65 a month. Poor value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm going to dump Virgin they are twice the price of Vodafone now for BB. Do you need landline for Vodafone?

rob316 wrote: »
    I'm going to dump Virgin they are twice the price of Vodafone now for BB. Do you need landline for Vodafone?

They'll connect it. I had cut my landline off in 2005 (phsyically cut the cable) as I said goodbye to analog phones and went with a private VOIP provider back then. Those days were fun, you had to do a lot of configuration yourself :p

If ftth is available they'll bring a new length of fibre into the house you won't need the copper wire. As unkle says if it's fttc they'll reinstate the copper wire.

If ftth is available they'll bring a new length of fibre into the house you won't need the copper wire. As unkle says if it's fttc they'll reinstate the copper wire.

How do you know which you got, can you tell from the speed alone? The guy was in the manhole in my front garden, so I am assuming he put through a new ftth cable into my house. I'm getting over the 500mbps down and 50mbps up that they promised (on wifi on my phone, when I stand close to the router)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭rob316

thanks. I think there is a landline there but its hasn't been active in the 12 years I have the house. Do I ring vodafone so and they sort it? or is it Eir as its there infastructure?

thanks. I think there is a landline there but its hasn't been active in the 12 years I have the house. Do I ring vodafone so and they sort it? or is it Eir as its there infastructure?

I didn't have to do anything. Just signed up with Vodafone and the engineer they contracted to install, did everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Treppen wrote: »

Tried it before years ago and they let me go through with the cancellation without any better offers (I did ask!). It was only when the Other Half rang up and went to register an order that they rang me back with a better offer if I got her to fahgedddaboudit.

Let ye know how I get on.

Ok so after doing a lot of groaning about how dear it's gotten and throwing out names mentioned here they knocked it down a level .
    (They were cute enough as they know that they're the only ones with the 500mb in the area and they knew I had a high usage with the family.)

I told them that I'd be sorry to cancel but also might just get the OH to sign up to a new offer, they knocked it down to a 'final best offer'. So thats the 2 level drop mentioned on here a while back.

500mb Virgin Naked (Just broadband) €69 pm (rising to 74 I think) has now gone to:

€56 9 months + €71 3 months. (they also briefly tried giving same for 6 months + 6 months but I told em it wasn't that great)

I think I'll take it. I suspect if the OH did ring up though they would offer better but ain't got time for that cancelling and re-joining.

... oh and they mentioned the €5 pm mobile, but I told em I left that plan and went to the 48.ie €7.99 for ever plan.

Advertisement