Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Touch wood, but I haven't had many failures on pcb's. A 1942 went a bit wonky and a salamander board (that got repaired). Nothing major, just a few graphical glitches.

But yeah, it's that hairy feeling turning them on after a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Ciderman generously donated a Sinclair Spectrum+ to my collection :D

Before cleaning;
    554819.jpg
    After cleaning;
    554818.jpg

Some new parts to get it back working again, issue4 board with it was missing its ROM so will pop in an earlier 48k board for now and the keyboard membrane itself needs replacement along with that Spectrum rainbow badge. Should have those next week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

[grumble] That's great [/grumble]

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Any one any hints tips or tricks into how to calibrate the disk drive for twin fami, just replaced the belt but no luck

With the FDS drive, what I found was that just some disks won't read no matter how much calibration you do. Always test with a range of disks - that would be my only advice apart from watching the many calibration videos the YouTubes

• Advertisement

Yeah that's the video I have been looking at, will keep at it :)

Apologies if not right place but would anyone know where I could get some Saturn games resurfaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭Doge

557177.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Burzum wrote: »
    Apologies if not right place but would anyone know where I could get some Saturn games resurfaced?

Pretty much anywhere that will resurface regular CDs.

Maybe CeX or the likes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭Doge

Doge wrote: »
    557177.jpg

Meant to post this one in CRT madness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Ollie has a video on YouTube of him resurfacing discs

https://youtu.be/txrJqdFUiH4

Someone on adverts reached out and going to be using them, 5 euro a disc.

Does anyone here know who I can reach out to, to maybe work on a crt monitor, I have never tried working on/repairing one and am a little wary of trying incase I mess up and ruin the thing.

Does anyone here know who I can reach out to, to maybe work on a crt monitor, I have never tried working on/repairing one and am a little wary of trying incase I mess up and ruin the thing.

Yeah you really don't want to mess with a CRT if you don't know what you're doing... you could literally kill yourself.

I think the folks here used to send chassis and monitors over to the UK but that's probably cost prohibitive now with all the Brexit and customs stuff.

I will power it on and hope for the best. If it works thats great if not will figure something out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Yeah ive sent a few to Grant aka Gunblade on UKVAC forums.

Not sure on Brexit costs now for shipping etc but it was around €100 to fix

eddhorse wrote: »
    Yeah ive sent a few to Grant aka Gunblade on UKVAC forums.

Not sure on Brexit costs now for shipping etc but it was around €100 to fix

Ah nice one, will check him out, see if its possible to send it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I think it was here that this crowd were mentioned too https://www.psra.ie/monitors/crt-monitors/

I've got it bookmarked for those "just in case" events.

I think it was here that this crowd were mentioned too https://www.psra.ie/monitors/crt-monitors/

I've got it bookmarked for those "just in case" events.

Oh that is handy, will reach out to these and see what the story is, be good if could drop it off and collect it instead of posting.
    Appreciate all the fast info lads.

Got in touch with https://www.psra.ie/monitors/crt-monitors/ sadly it does not seem they can service an apple IIe monitor

• Advertisement

Got in touch with https://www.psra.ie/monitors/crt-monitors/ sadly it does not seem they can service an apple IIe monitor

Ah, not sure Gunblade can help you then as he normally services arcade monitors. Worth asking over there if you are stuck anyways.

What's the problem with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Ah, that's disappointing, Burzum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

You'd had to disassemble the monitor yourself anyway, gunblade will only accept a chassis and given its an Apple Monitor // I'd say he'll pass on it, might be hard enough to source parts for them depending on the fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Oh yeah I remember contacting those PSRA lads a few years ago and they said they'd happily do a BVM.

Might be a cost thing, they could be (wrongly!) assuming I've a fortune to spend on it because it's a studio monitor, Apple II monitor might not be worth their while.

I don't think you'll have much luck with gunblade/grantspain, he only really does arcade monitors. Doesn't hurt to ask though!

If you've soldering skills yourself then the guy who runs this website is really nice and will put a cap kit together for you.

I see he already has some apple kits up at the moment:

https://console5.com/store/catalogsearch/result/?q=apple

If you need a lend of a discharging wand and you're around Dublin, let me know.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Oh yeah I remember contacting those PSRA lads a few years ago and they said they'd happily do a BVM.

Might be a cost thing, they could be (wrongly!) assuming I've a fortune to spend on it because it's a studio monitor, Apple II monitor might not be worth their while.

I don't think you'll have much luck with gunblade/grantspain, he only really does arcade monitors. Doesn't hurt to ask though!

If you've soldering skills yourself then the guy who runs this website is really nice and will put a cap kit together for you.

I see he already has some apple kits up at the moment:

https://console5.com/store/catalogsearch/result/?q=apple

If you need a lend of a discharging wand and you're around Dublin, let me know.

Yeah I dont mind soldering at all, I have actually ordered from that site ages and was wracking my brain trying to remember the name :) ty.

Looks like Gunblade aka Grant on UKVAC isn't accepting any work from outside UK now, he has been stung with customs charges a few times.

I bought an Neo Geo AES which was converted to JAMMA in the past - looks like it was a pro conversion, the JAMMA board it a little rough with some traces not made correctly so patched. Maybe at a time which AES wasn't worth much but MVS was still going strong in the Arcades. The case at least has a sub 4k serial number which suggests it was an earlier unit and the mainboard backs this up a little.

It looked rather sorry for itself;

Even more so internally

It's an early NEO-AES board. It had a special BIOS chip which I take it worked with the JAMMA board and its tapoff points on the board to time limit play depending on credits. The unit wasn't operating as is so I removed all the extra cabling, random patch wires and caps on the bottom of the board and worked to fix the cut traces.

I still used the JAMMA board for video/power for now (until the PSU/Video cables arrive) and popped in a standard BIOS. The self-test showed RAM issues and from inspecting the board both the Fast VRAM and Palette RAM had been replaced/bodged in the past so I removed those, socketed them and threw in Sony replacements and BOOM! Working!

UniBIOS4 burned to an EPROM and a AES 161-in-1 with the 'PICKnMIX' feature from the UniBIOS and it is working a treat - tbh, I didn't think I would get it working.

I've a cap kit on route as it seems the factory caps on the RGB circuit aren't correct.

Only issues now

• Power switch was missing as when it was converted to JAMMA, the used that opening for the hacked in power. 3D printed one for now, looks fine
    • Audio 3.5mm socket - thats missing. I've tried to find the type used by using photos but no luck as of yet. Any pointers appreciated!
    • No screws - yup, our JAMMA people decided the unit needed none replaced as they had it held together with large rubber bands!

Howdy folks!

So... one of the positives for me over Lockdown has been the fact that I have had the extra time to practice my electronics repair skills. I've been posting about it a fair bit over on Instagram so much so that the maker of one of the crimper tools that I was using reached out and offered me a free soldering and hot air station worth over £100 just to share it out and give it a good review on Insta / Amazon etc!

I never really thought I'd have the skills do to all of this but I've proved myself wrong... I've even gotten the hang of making my own dupont cables now so I don't need to keep buying adapters and cables from random Ebay sellers.

Aaaaanyway... I just wanted to show off something that I did last night. So I ordered a replacement transparent shell for my Sega Dreamcast a little while ago and replaced the LED on the power board from red to blue as I always thought that the blue light would suit the EU Dreamcast a little better.

Last night though I tapped the 12v line on my DreamPSU in order to power up a strip of white LEDs and this is the outcome...

What do you folks think?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Did a hilarious repair this evening.

So a few months back I picked up a Mitsubishi hs-337 VCR from 1985, the same model as I had when I was a kid.

Unfortunately it didn't come with a remote.

My mam was cleaning out the coal bunker this evening and found the remote from our original one. Absolutely knackared but I decided to take it from her and see what condition it was in.

Thing must have been sitting out there for 20 years. There were still batteries inside when I opened it up, so I thought it was a goner.

So I decided to see if I could salvage it for the craic this evening. Spent the last hour with it in pieces cleaning every minute piece of corrosion.

Dried it off, put it back together and... it works!! haha, can't believe it.

• Advertisement

Black Diamond batteries and all :D

Advertisement