Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WiFi calling on Gomo plans?

Options
  • 20-04-2021 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭

Just off a support chat with Gomo there.

They claim anyone on the €14.99 plan can use WiFi calling with any handset that supports WiFi calling. And that this feature will be rolling out to all customers (regardless of plan) over the next few months.

If you're using WiFi calling on Gomo can you please post your phone model and your plan please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

long_b wrote: »
    Just off a support chat with Gomo there.

They claim anyone on the €14.99 plan can use WiFi calling with any handset that supports WiFi calling. And that this feature will be rolling out to all customers (regardless of plan) over the next few months.

If you're using WiFi calling on Gomo can you please post your phone model and your plan please?

I am using Eir WiFi Calling, not GoMo - but you also need to ensure your phone is configured with Eir/GoMo's WiFi calling settings in firmware. If your phone is Android and you didn't buy it from Eir, you will likely need to get it flashed with Eir's firmware. This may only be possible if the phone is from a manufacturer that has worked with Eir to customize their firmware. Some haven't done this. (Not a big fan of Apple,but in fairness, iPhones automatically load the settings when you change network)

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭spuddy

On their website:
    Can I upgrade to get WiFi Calling or 4G Calling?
    Initially WiFi Calling and 4G Calling are only available to customers who signed up to GoMo after 9th April 2021. Don’t worry WiFi Calling & WiFi calling will be made available to all GoMo customers in coming months.

EDIT: more info HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

This was the rather surprising "any handset that supports it" chat with Gomo support earlier.

I am using Eir WiFi Calling, not GoMo - but you also need to ensure your phone is configured with Eir/GoMo's WiFi calling settings in firmware. If your phone is Android and you didn't buy it from Eir, you will likely need to get it flashed with Eir's firmware. This may only be possible if the phone is from a manufacturer that has worked with Eir to customize their firmware. Some haven't done this. (Not a big fan of Apple,but in fairness, iPhones automatically load the settings when you change network)
    That makes sense.
    I've tried an Eir SIM in a Pixel 3a (which officially supports WiFi calling) but WiFi calling could not be enabled on it.

That's why I'm wondering if Gomo are doing it differently?

This was the rather surprising "any handset that supports it" chat with Gomo support earlier.

Technically the agent is correct, although probably a little economical with the truth! They did inform you that any handset that supports GoMo WiFi calling should be able to use it, and that you need to talk to the manufacturer to check which of their handsets support it.

Since GoMo don't sell handsets, they don't really have to provide much support for them - and you need to go back to whoever supplied the handset to make sure that they have the Eir firmware. The best way to make sure your handset is supported is probably to buy from an Eir store. Otherwise, you need to make sure your handset has the Eir firmware option available, and get it flashed in.

• Advertisement

Found this - no idea if it's current
    It shows that even for supported devices, the more recent Android versions are kit supported. eg look up the Samsung Galaxy S8

https://www.eir.ie/support/smartphonehelp/?page=topic/wifi/how-to-enable-wifi-calling/device

Found this - no idea if it's current
    It shows that even for supported devices, the more recent Android versions are kit supported. eg look up the Samsung Galaxy S8

https://www.eir.ie/support/smartphonehelp/?page=topic/wifi/how-to-enable-wifi-calling/device

This site looks reasonably comprehensive - but may not be 100% up-to-date. It is useful, because it appears to give the full list of handset vendors that Eir has worked with to configure WiFi Calling in their firmware. If your handset vendor is not on this list, it is unlikely it works on the Eir network. If your handset vendor is on the list, they likely support it on all handsets after they first included the settings in their firmware. I have seen Eir WiFi calling working on a Samsung Galaxy A20e - which is listed as unsupported on this site. That makes me think that the list is not fully up-to-date.

Of course, this list only relates to devices with Eir firmware installed - the assumption is that you have purchased your handset from Eir. It does not suggest that the same handsets will work if purchased from other suppliers or SIM-free on the Internet. I'm open to correction on this, but with the exception of iPhone, other handsets are likely to require the Eir firmware flashed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I'm not sure you're exactly right with this. AFAIK you'll need a phone that supports it, it'll need to be enabled in the build.prop and the provider has to support it (which I think might be on a manufacturer or even model basis), but I don't think there's a need for a specific Eir firmware. I'd presume the major brands will be supported but I think that depends on agreements between network and phone providers. You might also get unlucky and have a phone that comes with it disabled but hopefully that's rare.

Edit: I'm on the original price plan so can't check if it works for me yet.

That's why I'm hoping to get people to post when they've had success with it.

For those interested the way to check is

Turn on WiFi calling on your handset
    Turn on airplane mode
    Turn on WiFi
    Connect to your WiFi
    Try to make a call.

Eg I've a Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 5G that has wifi calling as an available option. Even so, with my Eir SIM in and trying the test above, I can't make any calls using this test.

On to support a couple of times.
    No update on a date for the older plans getting wifi calling nor which handsets will be allowed.

Have ordered a €14.99 SIM for a play

(Also, I flashed the latest Meteor firmware onto a Samsung Galaxy S7 and WiFi calling works fine using an Eir SIM.)

• Advertisement

OK, so the €14:99 SIM arrived and I've done some testing on WiFi calling.

tl:dr Looks like it works the same as on Eir. Definitely doesn't support "any handset that can support Wifi calling".

Galaxy S7 (running Eir firmware) == wifi calling works fine

Mi Mix 3 5G (has WiFi calling in the menu, but WiFi calling doesn't work on Eir) == WiFi calling doesn't work on Gomo

Google Pixel 3a (WiFi calling doesn't show in the menus on Eir SIM) == No sign of WiFi calling using Gomo SIM either.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Higgsy

@long_b,

So basically if your phone was not purchased from eir or meteor you will not be able to use wifi calling. I bought my handset from three, got it unlocked and moved to gomo. I have a Samsung A40 which has the wifi calling options and have a terrible reception in my house.

I was hoping the wifi calling was going to resolve this.

Higgsy wrote: »
    @long_b,

So basically if your phone was not purchased from eir or meteor you will not be able to use wifi calling. I bought my handset from three, got it unlocked and moved to gomo. I have a Samsung A40 which has the wifi calling options and have a terrible reception in my house.

I was hoping the wifi calling was going to resolve this.

That's how I understand it.

Possible exception could be iPhones as I believe Apple is better at pulling the necessary settings from the carriers so there is a chance that a non Eir/Meteor iPhone may work with WiFi calling.

Would appreciate if someone could confirm that.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

That's how I understand it.

Possible exception could be iPhones as I believe Apple is better at pulling the necessary settings from the carriers so there is a chance that a non Eir/Meteor iPhone may work with WiFi calling.

Would appreciate if someone could confirm that.

Yeah iPhone bought directly from Apple or from another carrier once SIM unlocked works flawlessly with Eir WiFi and 4G calling.

I bought mine from 3 and got the simlock removed and works fine with Eir.

I think it might be possible to flash Eir specific firmware on android devices but I’ve never done this.

Cork981 wrote: »
    Yeah iPhone bought directly from Apple or from another carrier once SIM unlocked works flawlessly with Eir WiFi and 4G calling.

I think it might be possible to flash Eir specific firmware on android devices but I’ve never done this.

Great to know about the iPhones.

Flashing Eir firmware worked for me on a Galaxy S7. Not sure about getting the firmware to flash for anything bar a Samsung though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Cork981 wrote: »

on that i attempted to move to eir for this reason but wifi calling wouldn't work on a iphone xs max and a iphone xr bought bought direct from apple. they said something about having issues with it on certain iPhones.. no issues with wifi calling on the same devices with vodafone.

worked on a unlocked android device that was originally from 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I have an a iPhone 11 bought directly from Apple and have had a gomo sim for 18 months. WiFi calling isn’t available.

I have an a iPhone 11 bought directly from Apple and have had a gomo sim for 18 months. WiFi calling isn’t available.

I think it's only available on the 14.99 plan at the minute. Sounds like you wouldn't be on that?

shanec1928 wrote: »
    worked on a unlocked android device that was originally from 3.

That's interesting. Definitely worked "all the way", not just available from the phone's settings?

Which Android phone was it do you know please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

That's interesting. Definitely worked "all the way", not just available from the phone's settings?

Which Android phone was it do you know please?
    worked "all the way"

samsung galaxy a70

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I think it's only available on the 14.99 plan at the minute. Sounds like you wouldn't be on that?

Ah ok. Yes I’m on €9.99 so happy to leave it as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Any updates on re this, tried a play of a new sim on a moto G7 plus but no joy. Gomo support were useless, I only contact them via email and it was a slow process, so slow kicked into the following month so just cancelled contract.

Is there an easy way to update the firmware?

where do you get the download of meteor firmware to do this?

still no update on wifi calling for 9.99 plan holders?

I haven't checked the 9.99 plan for WiFi calling as none of our main handsets are supported by Eir for it.

cheers for info on firmware for samsung

re the 9.99 it was more a rhetorical question really - Gomo have been saying "in a couple of months" for a lot longer than that actual timeframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭patspost

Hi there,

I have a samsung A40 that was on 3, now unlocked and on tesco mobile.

i dont see wifi calling as an option on the phone at the moment.

if I switch to gomo €14.99 plan, do I need to do anything else?

if i flash the meteor firmware will my phone work on gomo?

We have Eir broadband

would expect it to work as handset is from 2019

Eir says supported Android handsets are

Android - Samsung Galaxy S6 and above, Samsung Galaxy A and J series from 2017 models and upwards, Huawei P and Mate series from 2017 onwards all support WiFi Calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭j_mo

Hiya,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any updates on more phones working with WiFi calling? I was in contact with their customer service and they said that there will be more news soon. That sounds like a fairly generic and non descript response. I wonder if there is any more definitive?

They've been promising "in the coming months" all year. Don't hold your breath !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Any update on WiFi Calling coming to the €9.99 subscription yet? I tried to turn it on and it says to contact support.

Advertisement