Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multicooker recommendations please.

• 28-03-2021 9:27pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi I am looking for advice on buying a multicooker. Curry’s currently have the ninja foodie OP300UK for €179 seems like a good deal on the usual price. Is it any good though? I’d be making spag Bol, soups, stews, roast dinners, baked potatoes, maybe grilled breakfast. At 6litres though it seems like over kill for cooking for 1. Can anyone recommend a 3-4 litre multicooker with the same functionality?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 490 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

I have the ninja foodi and the instant pot. Foodi is used regular as it doubles as my air fryer but before that instant pot should cover all your needs. If you don’t need an air fryer get an instant pot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

TheKBizzle wrote: »
    I have the ninja foodi and the instant pot. Foodi is used regular as it doubles as my air fryer but before that instant pot should cover all your needs. If you don’t need an air fryer get an instant pot.

Where did you get your instant pot? I see so many instant pot recipes that seem great. Have been looking at other multicookers on harveynorman and currys trying to figure out if I buy a cookbook that specifically has instant pot in the title will I end up having to fiddle round with a different multi cooker to try figure out what the corresponding settings are :D

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

I got one of these from amazon warehouse
    https://www.storececotec.com/en/food-processor/1758-mambo-10090.html
    I love it, mind you i didn't have many small kitched tools so i got it to replace everything, blender etc.
    I love that it has the online recepies (even if they are spekelled with spanish) and it just messages my phone when it's done or is time for the next steps

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

For the last few years, Amazon have done good offers on the IP on Prime Day and Black Friday. Long wait though :(

Set up a price alert on the 3 camels in case there's a deal sooner?
    http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Where did you get your instant pot? I see so many instant pot recipes that seem great. Have been looking at other multicookers on harveynorman and currys trying to figure out if I buy a cookbook that specifically has instant pot in the title will I end up having to fiddle round with a different multi cooker to try figure out what the corresponding settings are :D

Amazon in the main place to get an Instant Pot, I dont think the likes of DID, Powercity or Argos etc sell them. You can find them in the Amazon Warehouse too and theyre are always discounted down to about 60-70 euro every Black Friday, otherwise they are about 80-100 euro year around.

If you buy a different brand with an Instant Pot cookbook it could be a little bit of a learning curve adjusting cooking times if necessary. Though a lot of these pressure cookers have pre set buttons for stews, soup, chilli, yoghurt, rice cooking etc so that makes things easier. Id say the cooking times would be pretty similar across devices anyway, like 30 minutes if doing tough cuts like stewing beef, 4-5 minutes if doing breast of chicken in a curry, etc.

The Instant Pot is handy though as due to their popularity there are thousands of tried and tested recopies online specific to the Instant Pot. Ive never gone wrong by following the timings in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I have the same 6l foodi and use it for 1 , it is big and not worried in the size of this monster as can easily cook a whole chicken with ease. Handier as it gives good space for cooking and bought in DiD.
    Overseas buying might be more expensive as one has to check for the extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭squonk

Been using the instant pot since 2014 or 2015 and I think it’s pretty great. It excels at gett8ng food on the tackle pretty quickly and they e finally started to update the model lineup over here. For a long time Europe had just 2 models available and they were outdated compared to what was available in the US.

At this stage too there are heaps of recipe resources which makes life easier. Earlier on the recipes were very US centric so stuff you couldn’t get here or just too much unit conversions.

Great for soups and stews and curries. I do like the rice it makes and I tried the yogurt function once and wasn’t disappointed but just wasn’t pushed to keep making yogurt. Great also for making stocks which I do fr9m time to time. My favourite lazy as F recipe is IP pasta which does takes maybe the same time or slightly longer than actually getting out a pot and using the hob but it’s pretty hands off and works well. It’s even handier if you’re making pasta with tomato sauce, Chuck in your ingredients, add pasta on top and let it cook. Quick and dirty but great if you’re in a hurry.

If anyone is looking for an instant pot, prime day deals on amazon have some pretty good deals on these. The one I had in my 'saved for later' pile is reduced to €58 and I have two £10 vouchers to add to my basket so good option here to get a high quality item for very little!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OP26T4K/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Amazon are on the news tonight for sending unsold goods including electronics such as computers etc. to landfill. I don’t think I will ever buy anything from them again.

Sending to landfill is bad pity they not heard of reuse rather than destroy.

• Advertisement

Saw that just as I was looking to buy the InstantPot. That really is insane behaviour, jesus split all that stuff up between charities even to sell at super knockdown prices.

I sent 2 pms to them saying how bad that ITV You tube video was and what could be done , no free gifts as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Saw that just as I was looking to buy the InstantPot. That really is insane behaviour, jesus split all that stuff up between charities even to sell at super knockdown prices.

That "cheapens brands" or some other codswallop. Amazon don't give a f*ck anyway.

Stopped using them ~5 years ago, the first Christmas is a bit of a pain, but there's plenty of local options. If you want a list, particularly for food and such, https://justbuyirish.com/ has a great list. I've been trying to buy exclusively from Irish companies for a while now, particularly during the pandemic given they've been taking a hammering.

That "cheapens brands" or some other codswallop. Amazon don't give a f*ck anyway.

Stopped using them ~5 years ago, the first Christmas is a bit of a pain, but there's plenty of local options. If you want a list, particularly for food and such, https://justbuyirish.com/ has a great list. I've been trying to buy exclusively from Irish companies for a while now, particularly during the pandemic given they've been taking a hammering.

Yeah I mostly used them for books for years but stopped doing that a good while ago now. Books are often cheaper from Easons and other Irish shops anyway.
    Never really buy big items from them myself other than toys at Christmas.

Have had some bad experiences with Irish shops though. Ordered from one 3 weeks ago and still waiting for any sort of contact from them on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

What's the proper way to cook lumps of meat in these pressure cookers? Let's say I'm doing bacon and cabbage.

Should the bacon be completely submerged in water? Or should it be steamed in a couple of centimeters of water?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

You need about 2-3cm of water and sit the bacon in that. Never run it dry on pressure cooking setting, there always has to be liquid covering the base.

You can get an accessory pack that includes a trivet for putting meat on so it is held up out of the water. The one I got also included an egg holder for 6 eggs and a steamer basket for doing vegetables. For all 3 accessories it was around 12-15 euro on ebay. I never cook eggs in the Instant Pot but I do use the other two accessories a fair bit, especially for steaming vegetables as they have so much more flavour from steaming them versus boiling the flavour out of them.

Advertisement