Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"And why do we fall Bruce?"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Monday 10th - 8 miles @ easy

On a training course on zoom all week with people from all over the Europe and Asia. The stuff involved only makes up about 2% of the work I do so was heavy going so great to get out afterwards each day to detox the head!
    Just a handy multi loop around Clonmore and back around the locks in the village.

Tuesday 11th- 8 x 5 mins @6:00

The plan was for 6:20 pace but the guideline is that Tuesday sessions can be done a bit quicker. The quintessential question, how much is a bit!
    Around the bog again starting at the usual farm gate after a 20 minute warm up and strides. Had intended to go for 6:10 pace but decided to run the first one without looking at the watch. This one was into the wind and finished going up a hill so probably pushed it a bit too much and it came in at 5:58. Decided to try and stick at 6:00 pace for next 7 intervals and see how I got on.

Next 2 with the wind were grand, both at 5:58. Fourth one was back into the wind so tough enough going and it also came in at 5:58 so "now we're sucking diesel" (only starting watch LoD last month on the RTE player after hearing the hype. Finished ep 2 of season 6 last night on BBC iplayer. Have managed to avoid all spoilers even walking out of the room for the bits on Gogglebox!!).

Fifth one is kinda with the wind to the side back through the bog...5:59. Last 3 will either be with or against the wind depending on me turning left or right at a T junction at the end of this road. Decide to mix it up on the old main road and just run half of each split in either direction to level things out. 5:59 for the 6th rep. Glad to say my lace opened during this one so paused watch at the end of it to fix it and enjoyed the extra 20 seconds of recovery!
    5:59 for the 7th and finished bang on 6:00 for the last rep and walked this last 3 minute recovery before heading home via a 20 minute cool down.
    Deceivingly warm out today so was absolutely parched during this cool down.

Thursday 13th- Just a handy out and back 8 miles along the old main road with 5 x 20 second strides thrown in on the way home. First half was very heavy legged but the strides seemed to ease things out and was comfortable getting home.

Friday 14th- 50 mins @6:40

Mrs CBG was working nights this weekend so brought the long run forward by a day to fit things in.
    Headed into Longford town and out around the bypass. Usual 30 minute warm up with strides but still had that heavy type feeling in the legs. I always find the first couple of miles the hardest for whatever reason! First 4 miles come in at 6:38, and then 3 x 6:37. Next mile back in a back road that goes past Pearse park and Longford rugby club is the toughest of the entire route as it takes in 2 short but quite sharp inclines. Push these bits out to keep on pace and actually manage to speed up this split instead of having lost time so that was nice to be able to coast the last minute of this one and come in at 6:37.
    Back along the N5 again homeward bound and feeling great now so these ones are handy enough all coming in again at 6:37.
    30 minute cool down brings the trip to just over 15 miles.

Sat & Sunday- 8 miles @ easy

Just handy jaunts around the locality. Today's run was a lot easier than yesterdays! Spent most of it thinking ahead of the slaughtering The Dubs could give us in the football later. Sad to say that I was happy enough with a 9 point defeat even with Dublin rarely even going into 2nd gear. Ros were well short of top gear themselves but the gap in quality is stark.
    Pool's win capped things off :mad: In fairness ya would have to be happy for Alisson after the year he endured. Some header too.

Just over 61 miles for the week and into a step back week now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

His interview was so emotional, rightly so as you said given the year he's had! Thrilled for him...

His interview was so emotional, rightly so as you said given the year he's had! Thrilled for him...

Yeah Thrilled I was!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

A team playing with manic desperation against teams whose seasons are over.....:rolleyes:

Step back week so lots of easy runs on the menu.

Handy trips around the locality on Monday and Tuesday. Was in the office on Thursday so headed out at lunchtime just for a change of scenery. Didn't get to see much as the heavens opened and stayed open for duration of this one!

Brought the long run forward a day to Friday as Mrs CBG was working this weekend.
    60 minutes at 6:40 pace was the order of the day.
    No rain today but it was really windy and bloody cold, so much so that I reverted to long sleeves for first time in ages. Bloody hell, its mid May! This time last year the bbq was out most evenings.

The usual 30 minute warm up with some strides before starting the faster stuff not far away from Longford Town FC. First mile was grand with the aid of a tailwind 6:40. Turned onto the bypass shortly after this and despite it only being something like a 20 degree change in direction the wind is now a full on headwind. These couple of miles ain't easy but I don't fancy trying to maintain a steady effort instead of focusing on the watch as I'm crap at judging stuff like that. These couple of miles both come in at 6:38. Next mile is mainly on a winding back road that eventually links to the N4. Wind is a bit swirly for the next couple of miles and splits come in at 6:37 and 6:39.
    Back along the bypass now again so have a decent tailwind again and these are the easiest couple of miles of the trip at 6:35 and 6:37.
    Same as the incoming trip once I get off the bypass and am back on the N5 hard shoulder heading home the wind has somehow turned and is a full on head wind again. Its not a strong one though so finish out the session with splits of 6:37 and 6:38.
    30 minute cool down brings me back home with just over 16.5 miles for the day.

Another easy 8 miles yesterday and again early this morning where once again I got drowned where I wouldn't have been much wetter if I had jumped into the Shannon which I ran beside during the last mile home!!

• Advertisement

Mon 24th- 8 handy miles around the locality.

Tues 25th- 10 x 4 mins @5:55 pace (3 min rec.)

Last time out on Tuesday's session it was 8 x 5 mins @6:00 pace. Amazing the difference the minute less makes as this session felt so much easier.
    Usual route around the bog loop with a few extra out and back bits added in.
    Started each interval too fast and was usually 6-10 seconds ahead of schedule around the 2 minute mark so might push next weeks pace up a bit for the coming weeks 3 minute intervals.
    Setting out the sky didn't look too inviting but didn't bring my rain jacket as it acts like a parachute when the wind picks up! Got away with it for most of the run but the heavens opened during the recovery after the 8th interval and continued until I was just about finishing up the recovery for the 9th interval so got drenched over the course of almost 10 minutes!
    For the last interval my t shirt was stuck to me and was almost like one of those weighted vests!
    Splits for the 4 minute intervals were 5:55, 5:55, 5:53, 5:54, 5:55, 5:55, 5:52, 5:54, 5:54, 5:52.

Went thru 1000 miles early in this one.

Thurs 27th- 8 easy miles

Brought my gear to work but missed going out at lunch time thanks to some procrastination. Paid the price later doing it around the bog loop, I wasn't ditching the rain jacket for this one! Threw in 5 sets of 20 second strides at the halfway point. Got well drowned again which didn't go well with the Utd result the previous night :rolleyes:

Fri 28th- Another easy 8 miles around local loops.

Sat 29th- 40 mins @ 6:35/mile

Headed out just before 11 am for this one. Beautiful morning out of nowhere but made a mistake wearing a black t shirt in that sunshine!
    Usual 30 minute warm up and strides around the bog loop before starting into the faster stuff. Sweated buckets during the next 40 minutes! Most of the splits came in slightly quick but better that than the other way!
    Had to amend my route just before mile 5 as heavy traffic on main road meant i couldn't cross in time to access the road on my planned route but no big deal. Splits were 6:33, 6:29, 6:31, 6:32, 6:31 and 6:26.
    Last cool down mile was partially along the Shannon, would have been lovely to jump in! Fair play to healy1835 banging out a sub 80 minute HM
    TT in that heat :eek:

BBQ that evening and my first alcoholic beverages in what seemed like an age. No love for Chelsea but delighted they won. Have been totally ambivalent to City's success over the past decade but for whatever reason they and more particularly Pep have really annoyed me this season. Hilarious seeing him overthinking a big European game yet again. It's almost as if he has to go out of his way to show everyone he's a tactical genius rather than being a tactical genius.

Sun 30th- 8 easy miles

No mistake with clothing today! First time this year wearing a singlet. Lovely day out for an easy paced run.

Mon 31st- 8 easy miles around home. Don't remember a thing about this one but Strava said I did it!

Tues 1st- Session Day

Last weeks 4 min intervals at 5:55 went well so skipped forward a bit this week and lowered the 5:50 pace for the 10 x 3 minute intervals to 5:40 pace instead.
    Bloody warm out for this one so stuck on a singlet.
    Usual warm up and strides for 20 minutes but even during these I knew I should have taken more water on board (rookie mistake).
    Not sure what it was but most of these intervals felt like the slight breeze out was against me which annoyed me no end.
    First couple of intervals done and already my eyes are stinging from that toxic mix of sweat and sun cream! My singlet is soaked thru (Not OOnegative level but bad for me!) and my mouth is parched. Manage to bang out the required splits but revert to walking for a minute or 2 of the 3 minute recoveries from the 7th one on.
    Splits come in at 5:35, 5:38, 5:40, 5:39, 5:39, 5:38, 5:40, 5:39, 5:40 and 5:41 :rolleyes:
    Slow cool down home and just over half marathon distance for the run.

Thurs 3rd- 8 miles at easy with a few strides
    Did this one during lunch break at the office. Much nicer day than the last time I ran here!

Fri 4th- 50 mins @ 6:35

Mrs is working this weekend so brought this one forward 24 hours.
    Serious warm day out again (great complaint to have in fairness). Thinking back on it I really should have left a bottle of water somewhere out on the loop.
    Took the bog loop again knowing the 50 minute session plus the warm up would bring me close to our village after adding in the clonmore loop and i could just take it handy going around Clondra as a cool down.
    30 minute warm up seemed to pass in no time mostly because I spent most of it ruminating on coaching the u11 local GAA team the previous evening. Well I say coaching but it was more like babysitting this particular evening as they have the attention spans of a goldfish :mad:.
    Really quiet out around the loop but the mile beeps don't be long coming around. Sweating buckets again and really feeling parched halfway thru. Pass the kids national school at one point and see my eldest out playing on his break so give him a shout and a wave :pac:
    Finish up the 50 minute block with the village in sight as planned with splits of
    6:35, 6:34, 6:35, 6:31, 6:33, 6:33, 6:31, and 6:34.
    Cool down around Clondra taking the opportunity to walk for a couple of minutes of it to mop my brow so to speak! 15 miles for the day.

Sat 5th & Sun 6th

8 easy miles both mornings. 6am starts both days to be back before Mrs left for work. Grey and raining yesterday but Glorious sunshine this morning, this country and its weather!

Mon 7th- 8 miles @easy

Bank holiday run around in beautiful sunshine. Most notable feature was that it was the first time running with a baseball hat. Not to protect my head from the sun but to hide a haircut gone bad!
    Decided to shave the head before going out for the run, blade 1 all over job. Just finished both sides around the temples when the battery went :pac:
    Said I'd get the run out of the way instead of waiting around for it to charge up. Missus said i had the head of one of those lads off kids programme The Body Brothers!

Tues 8th- 10 x 2 minutes at 5:35

Bank holiday take away and a few home beers didn't have me in 100% shape for this one!
    Usual trip around the bog loop for this one. Breezy out again which made the effort levels go up or down for the intervals depending on which direction I was heading. Usual mistake of pushing it too hard from the start of each set meaning i was ahead of schedule at halfway point for each and had to reign it in a bit but it kinda extended the 2 minute recoveries so not all bad!
    Splits were 5:28, 5:31, 5:33, 5:31, 5:31, 5:33, 5:35, 5:3, 5:32, 5:28, walked for a minute for each of the last 3 sets of recoveries.
    Finished just under 11 miles for the session which i thought was a bit on the short side compared to previous weeks but thought nothing more of it.
    Coached messaged me on Thursday wondering why i didn't do the 15 sets :o
    Flip sake i had it in my head for whatever reason that it was 10!
    Think I'll repeat this session properly next Tuesday instead of moving on.

Thurs 10th- 8 miles at easy with a few strides

Usual Thursday run about but did this one at lunch time at the office. Spent a couple of minutes of it pinching my nose as i got a small nosebleed. Just like the last one i got while out running months ago I just had to be wearing a plain white t-shirt!

Fri 11th- 8 easy miles

Jaunt up the canal from Clondra and home again for this one. Very muggy out so sweating buckets despite the relaxed paces. Still haven't got plagued with the few head wrecking flies following me for miles on end this year yet though!

Decent start for Italy in the Euros. I always support them in tournaments. Wouldn't have the star power of previous sides but look a well drilled side.

Sat 12th- 60 minutes @6:35

Another 10 minutes added to last weeks long run. Not sunny out but really warm again so donned the singlet.
    Usual 30 minute warm up and strides before getting going.
    First couple of miles at the required pace always feel the trickiest and more of the same today but headwind didn't help. Took in an additional loop today just for some variation. Dying for a drink early into the 60 minute session and could kinda feel that boink feeling towards the end of it but got the splits done: 6:35, 6:33, 6:33, 6:35, 6:31, 6:34, 6:33, 6:32, 6:32, and 6:25 for the small bit extra at the end.
    Spent the 30 minute cool down walking for small section before running for a bit, massive hole in my stomach at this stage so another lesson learned on pre run nutrition and hydration. From now on I'll be hiding a bottle of water on the loop for these 2 hour runs.

Sun 13th- 8 miles easy around the silage fields behind our house which we baled up yesterday. Missus was on nights so in bed so this allowed me to get the run in while also keeping an eye on the kids who were playing in the fields and trying to occasionally join me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Some shape J, put a lot of them fellas that call themselves footballers to shame in that county of yours. Great to see man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

As B says, you look to be in cracking shape. Great to see. Are you working towards something in particular?

I'd always wear a baseball cap running. Avoids the suncream running into the eyes on days like today, and helps with the rain other days.

Italy looked decent the other night. Nice combination of defensive know how and some quality at the other end. Great to see a positive outcome for Christian Eriksen yesterday in Copenhagen.

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    Some shape J, put a lot of them fellas that call themselves footballers to shame in that county of yours. Great to see man.

Don't start! Another callow defeat today. While we've over achieved the last 4-5 years or so with a couple of provincial and div 2 titles I fear we are in proper decline now.

What's the mood like for the Euros in your part of the world? Always enjoyable watching the Dutch and their fans in tournaments.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    As B says, you look to be in cracking shape. Great to see. Are you working towards something in particular?

I'd always wear a baseball cap running. Avoids the suncream running into the eyes on days like today, and helps with the rain other days.

Italy looked decent the other night. Nice combination of defensive know how and some quality at the other end. Great to see a positive outcome for Christian Eriksen yesterday in Copenhagen.

Thanks A. Great to see your mileage steadily climbing all the time, some patience man!

Just training for the sake of it at the moment, not signed up for anything and in no rush either tbh. Have a slot from last year's DCM so will see what the announcement is in a couple of weeks but I'd say it's 50:50 on happening.
    Have you any goal or race in mind yourself?

Yeah that Eriksen thing was shocking. He was actually lucky it happened when it did with trained personnel and equipment right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Thanks A. Great to see your mileage steadily climbing all the time, some patience man!

Just training for the sake of it at the moment, not signed up for anything and in no rush either tbh. Have a slot from last year's DCM so will see what the announcement is in a couple of weeks but I'd say it's 50:50 on happening.
    Have you any goal or race in mind yourself?

Yeah that Eriksen thing was shocking. He was actually lucky it happened when it did with trained personnel and equipment right there.

Cheers J, it's great to be getting out regularly again and building. I've no intention of going near a race or TT in the short, or even medium term. I'll (hopefully) just keep building away, with a Half Marathon towards the end of the year, or even next spring the longer term goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

What's the mood like for the Euros in your part of the world? Always enjoyable watching the Dutch and their fans in tournaments.

Bit like Senan & Frankie, more talent in the little toe style job. Big on your Italian love though, seriously impressive despite the manager being an idiot

Didn't get a chance to update at the weekend so will squeeze it in now before the match. Bit worrying as a Utd fan that Sancho still not making the team but Southgate is very conservative manager i guess....

Mon 14th- 8 miles @ easy
    Just around the Clonmore loop for some easy miles before lunch.

Tues 15th- 15 x 2 mins @5:35

Stubbornly said I would go again at this one after incorrectly doing it last week and thinking it was 10 reps.
    Down around the bog loop for it again. Usual 20 minute warm up and strides and starting at the silver gate yet again, my routine is pretty consistent if nothing else!
    First interval into the wind and next 2 were nett up hill and i feel bunched already and cursing myself for even thinking of repeating this session. How did i do 7 extra reps last week never mind how am i going to do another 5 on top.
    Next couple are with the aid of a tail wind and after that i settle into the and they become much easier. By the time the 9th one is done and dusted I'm in decent shape and looking forward to getting the next 6 done.
    Glad to get that session done and dusted and reasonably comfortable at the end, a million miles better than i felt after rep 3! Splits range from 5:29 to 5:35 with one hitting 5:38 in the middle where i eased off way too early and a manic 5 second sprint at the end couldn't save things!!

U11 game that evening so missed watching my Italian lads and had to make do with the highlights but all looks good. Waste of a trip over to our neighbours across the river, it was literally that phrase "they wouldn't keep it kicked out to us!". Not that we are great ourselves or anything, but these things come in cycles and i can see my youngest lads group just starting off at u6 level are already tight on numbers.

Thurs 17th- 8 miles @ easy

Back in the office again today so headed for an out and back through Mote Park. Threw in 5 20 second strides just after the turn around. Glorious day out.

Fri 18th- 40 mins @ 6:30

Kids had a couple of matches on Saturday at different times and throw in stage school session too i said I'd do the long run 24 hours earlier than planned.
    Down around the bog loop again for 30 minute warm up and then into the faster stuff.
    Another glorious day out, had to step in on the grass verge a couple of times with it being silage season but no worries. Keep things ticking over and keep an eye on the watch every few mins to make sure I'm not miles off the target pace (I don't think I'll ever learn to go at a suggested pace without the watch!).
    First 4 miles glide by ( a bit on the quick side), Working harder during the next couple of miles but get them ticked off. Had been so focussed on getting 6 miles done that i slowed after that mile beep thinking that was the quicker stuff over before copping on that i still had to keep going to get to 40 minutes :rolleyes: Splits were 6:29, 6:26, 6:26, 6:26, 6:23, 6:22 and 6:20 for the extra bit.
    Walked the first couple of minutes of the 30 minute cool down so had a chance to bury my sweaty head in my t shirt before getting going again.

Sat 21st- 6 miles @easy

Supposed to be 8 miles but just had a window for this distance instead before a quick shower and off to my second match of the day!
    My daughter was playing for the U8s against our nearest neighbouring club in Leitrim. Its more a social outing for her at this stage!
    Eldest son had to stand in goals for the u10 girls team as one of the poor things felt dizzy and sick with the warm day. Unbeknownst to him he conceded a goal to his second cousin but i filled him in afterwards :pac:

Sun 22nd- 8 miles @easy

Nice trip around the locality and the locks on a glorious day. Passed the village pubs lovely new beer garden which was teeming with people (not jealous at all!) and the outdoor dining areas of the 2 village restaurants almost drooling at the aromas!

Oh i see I've missed a Sterling goal, yeeeeaaahhhh :rolleyes:

Was away with the family since last Sunday so missed updating that weeks running so will do so now and catch up with this weeks worth on Sunday!

Mon 21st- 8 miles @easy

Out the door around 9am to get this done and dusted before my first vaccine. Just a handy out and back along the hard shoulder of the N5.
    Got my vaccine afterwards around half 11. Didn't even notice getting it and was grand afterwards but that night and the next day it was like that usual awkward all elbows lad at GAA training had caught me with a late hit!

Tues 22nd- 20 x 1 minute @5:25

First day in a long while back out in the field with work so had 15k steps already done in wellingtons before togging out for this one! Could feel a bit leggy early doors during the warm up but thankfully passed with the 5 20 second strides.
    Small bit apprehensive of this one as it looks simple when written down but knew it would be anything but!
    The first 2 intervals were a bit on the slow side at 5:30 and 5:29 as i struggled a bit with pacing it. A small drop off during an interval this short throws the paces all over the place so took me a bit to get used to it.
    Got used to the required pace after getting these 2 out of the way and the remaining 18 were in the range of 5:14 to 5:25. These had the usual patterns of starting too fast and around the 40-45 second mark when i would look at the watch it was usually at the 5:10 mark so backed off a bit in each to get closer to the 5:25 marker. Think it was around the end of the 6th interval that i started partially walking the 1 minute recoveries.
    Glad to get that one out of the way.

Thurs 24th- 8 miles @easy with a few strides

Out in the field again today. Was able to do my work up to lunch in a tee shirt but got absolutely drenched after that walking meadows of grass while it teemed rain :( Was actually glad to have my running gear in the car as i was able to change from the boot when i finished work!
    Was still raining starting into this run around the bog loop but eased off shortly afterwards. Legs felt grand today and threw in 5 individual 20 second strides just after the halfway mark.

Fri 25th- 8 miles @easy

Another lap of the bog loop for this one. Nothing very exciting.
    DCM decision date pushed back again but can't say I'm overly disappointed as I have it written off in my head and they are trying to give it every chance of happening but i just cant see it.

Sat 26th- 50 minutes @6:30 pace

Forgot to charge my watch the previous night so only got a small partial charge before setting out on todays run.
    Bog loop again with the usual 30 minute warm up with some strides towards the latter end. Don't know what it was but felt really leggy during these 30 minutes and knew the 50 minutes of faster stuff would be a bit of a slog and so it proved.
    Got the first couple of miles done at the required pace but the effort felt way harder than it should have been or it was during last weeks session. Watch is beeping about low battery so knew it wouldn't see the session through and cant say i was too disappointed when it finally gave up the ghost just before mile 4. I had a fairly good idea of the mile markers after this point so knew how far i had to go to finish out the 50 minute session but while I'm poor at judging pace i knew that it slipped off while finishing it out.
    Pissed off at that for a few hours afterwards but nothing to do but park it and go again the next session!

Sun 27th- 8 miles @easy

Out just before 9 for this one. Felt leggy during the early miles but thankfully it passed. Headed up to Bundoran with the gang afterwards and a nice time was had!

Nerves beginning to build for my Italian boys now. Rode their luck at times against Austria so will be interesting to see which version we see tonight. Belgium represents a significant increase in the quality of opposition but their back 3 wouldn't be hitting sub 5 pace for 20x1 minute intervals so can be got at!
    Rossies out on Sunday. Really disappointing league campaign and looks like we have bottomed out. Is there a kick in us? Time will tell!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Mullinabreena

Just a handy out and back along the hard shoulder of the N5.
    Do you feel safe running on the hard shoulder? I remember one time I was dressed all in bright colours in the middle of the day, the sun was high so they weren't blinded by a low sun. I was running towards traffic on the right hand side and well in on the the hard shoulder too. When a car suddenly pulled in to answer a call. I just managed to step onto the grass and avoided getting hit by a split second. It was quite frightening. I've stayed to the back roads since. I'd often see people running on the wrong side hard shoulder.

Do you feel safe running on the hard shoulder? I remember one time I was dressed all in bright colours in the middle of the day, the sun was high so they weren't blinded by a low sun. I was running towards traffic on the right hand side and well in on the the hard shoulder too. When a car suddenly pulled in to answer a call. I just managed to step onto the grass and avoided getting hit by a split second. It was quite frightening. I've stayed to the back roads since. I'd often see people running on the wrong side hard shoulder.

Yeah its not ideal but I live on a short cul de sac that feeds onto the N5 so no choice but run at least a couple of miles on it before accessing s back road. I couldn't be bothered hopping in the car and driving somewhere quieter for a run.

In mitigation though the hard shoulder I run on in either direction has really long sight lines with the majority of it having a mile plus stretch visible in front of you so never had an issue so far (touch wood!).

Like you said though I see a crazy amount of people running on them on the wrong side, utter stupidity really and so dangerous.

In Bundoran for a short break away with the gang and brought my gear with me....

Mon 28th - 8 miles @easy

Only had a vague idea of a route to take from last time i ran here a few years ago. Headed out by amusements and up the cliff walk and around the back of the golf course.
    I think in the pre covid days that there's an annual 10K partially on this route, some killer hills at race pace!
    After that i headed out the bypass and then back into town doing a few mini loops around the apartment block we were staying in to bring up the 8 miles.

Tues 29th- 15 x 2 mins @5:30

2 evenings of fast food meals because it was bit too windy and cold for outdoor dining meant i was dreading this one!
    Same route as the day previous so after a 20 minute warm up i started into the faster stuff out on the bypass. First one was bloody tough but settled into the groove after that using my patented start too fast meaning i could ease up for the final 20 seconds or so and still hit the target. The extra miles meant i did a loop out around Tullaghan in Leitrim but don't think it was the one OOnegative recommended as i took the first right out the Sligo road instead of the second but there was a tough looking drag after that first right hand turn so said balls to that!
    Managed to hit the target time for the 15 intervals, think it was just one that had me working for the full 120 seconds that involved a tough long drag for majority of it. The range of the intervals were from 5:18 (2nd and final one) to 5:30 (first one).
    Finished a tad under HM distance for the morning.

Thurs 1st- 8 miles @easy

Similar route to previous days but headed out the Ballyshannon road this time before turning back when watch beeped for mile 4. Non descript route apart from passing Finner Army base. Threw in 6 20 second strides on the homeward journey.

Fri 2nd- 60 mins @6:30

Nervous of this one after not really hitting the paces for 50 mins the previous week. Mixed it up today and abandoned the bog loop and headed for Longford town instead.
    Legs felt good today and had to ease back for the 30 minute WU which was a good sign. This brought me up close to Longford Town's ground and then into the pacier stuff. First mile as normal was tough making the transition in speed and despite thinking i was bombing along i was right bang on the 6:30 pace. Thankfully it got easier from here.
    I did manage to lose maybe 8 seconds or so stuck trying to cross the road at a roundabout so spent the second half of that 2nd mile speeding up to hit the pace (i know i could have just kept an even effort but wanted to do each mile sub 6:30 after last week).
    After that the legs felt really good and the miles ticked along nicely so that i wasn't really paying attention to the watch anymore. The intervals came in at 6:28, 6:29, 6:27, 6:26, 6:21, 6:20, 6:23, 6:19, 6:21 and another 6:21 for the last partial mile.
    Why can't every run feel like this!

Sat 3rd & Sun 4th- 8 miles @easy

Legs felt heavy for both of these runs around local loops. Did i really run 6:30 miles only the day or 2 previous :rolleyes:

Italy still motoring nicely. Super first half the other night although Spinazolla is going to be a big loss as he was up there for player of the tournament so far.

Bloody brutal stuff from The Rossies today, awful regression in the last 12 months. Future looks pretty grim.....

And to cap the day off I have 3 Lions as a bloody ear worm :mad: This might be me soon enough!!

I'm now 2 weeks behind with my updates and not enjoying this new and improved Boards so far but its probably far from the finished product yet so here's hoping!

July 5th- 8 miles at easy

I cant say I remember anything of note about this one apart from it being there in Strava activities!

July 6th- 10 x 3 mins at 5:30 pace

I remember this one alright! Same pace as previous week but with 10 reps instead of 15 but each was an extra minute. While I didn't have to work for the full 2 minutes the previous week I knew this one would hurt! They were tough from the start and I walked the first minute of the 3 minute recovery first time out and adding 10 seconds walking onto this 1 minute with each rep. I think it was after the 7th rep that this went out the window and I just walked for 2 and a half minutes before starting to shuffle again! The intervals themselves weren't too bad in the end, think it was the 9th one where my laces opened and I was glad to use it as an excuse to pause the watch for a few seconds and get going again! Intervals ended up being in the range of 5:21 to 5:31 with one outlier of 5:33 for 5th one where I remember being well up with 40 seconds to go and then not being able to bring it back in the last 10 seconds!

July 8th- 8 miles easy with a few strides

Handy loop around the bog loop after work. Threw in a few strides around the halfway point to mix things up.

Missed doing another 8 easy miles on the Friday between WFH, kids gaa and the weekly shop.

July 10th- 40 mins at 6:25 pace.

Into Longford around the bypass and back in by Pearse Park and the rugby club before joining the N5 again for homeward journey. The faster stuff actually felt good for this. kept an eye on the watch early doors to make sure I was in line as the first mile is invariably all over the place. After that I just went with it and the watch confirmed that each mile was on the button. Only tricky bit was due to a couple of short but very sharp hills around 30 mins into this faster section where the effort levels went up to stay on pace and ya can almost hear your heartbeat in your ear!

The mile splits were 6:19, 6:20, 6:17, 6:13, 6:18, 6:10 and 6:17 for partial bit at the end.

July 11th- 8 miles easy

Just a pre Sunday Roast dinner jaunt up the banks of the canal and back around.

PS. FORZA ITALIA!!

• Advertisement

Still 2 weeks behind, must try and close up the gap this week.

July 12th- 8 miles easy miles around the 2 Clonmore loops, nothing too exciting!

July 13th- 10 x 4mins at 5:35 pace.60

Fitted this one in before i got home from day in the office. Bit tight for time so cut the warm up and cool down to 10 mins instead of the usual 20. Could feel the missing 10 mins in the first rep as my breathing was all over the shop for this one. Was dreading this one for the couple of days before hand as while it was 5 seconds slower than the previous weeks pace the thoughts of staying going for an extra 60 seconds 😣 In the end it played out fine and at the 3 minute marker i was usually inside last weeks pace and still ready for bit more (funny how the brain works). The splits were in the range of 5:27 to 5:34.

July 15th- 8 easy miles with a few strides

Same route as the past couple of weeks from the office at lunch time. Nice quiet run with strides thrown in after the halfway point, last few more resembling hill sprints because of the route.

July 16th- Long run

Would be attending my cousin's wedding on Saturday so brought this run forward a day to fit things in. Headed off at half 12 which in hindsight was a big mistake on the first real day of our heatwave. Plan was for 50 mins at 6:25 pace, didn't seem too much of a big deal as the 40 minute effort the previous week had gone well.

Barely a whisper of a breeze out as i set off on the 30 minute warm up into Longford town. Even at this stage though sweat was dripping off me and had to take the baseball hat off a few times to mop up! Into the quicker stuff just before Longford Town FC grounds. First mile wasn't too bad though but things started to really kick in along the bypass and knew this was going to be a pure slog. The watch started beeping at this point about low battery and sure enough it died just after mile 3 beeped. The splits up to this point were 6:21, 6:24 and 6:29. I gave up the fight at this stage and did a 180 and headed for home very annoyed!

July 17th- 8 easy miles

Early morning run and even at 7am it was really warm out. Headed to Emyvale and Castle Leslie later for the wedding. Lovely day, our first proper night out since hearing of something called Covid!

July 18th- 8 easy miles

Just an out and back along the N5 hard shoulder after watching the Donegal Tyrone game.

July 19th- 8 miles at easy

Dropped kids down to Cul Camp and then headed for my second vaccine. Did a pre lunch loop around in the heat afterwards. Biggest job was avoiding bubbling tar. Made a bit of a mistake in attire going with a singlet that I hadn't worn in ages that halfway thru was really annoying my nips! Ended up having to pop my thumbs into it at either side to hold it out, I'd say I looked well to the passing traffic on the homeward bound bit along the N5!😀

July 20th- 8 x 5 mins at 5:40 pace

Woke up and legs felt bit ache but decided to grasp the nettle and try the session anyways. Really hot out and this loop around the bog actually takes me very close to the Mount Dillon weather station which recorded the highest temperature in the country a couple of days this week. During the strides at the end of the 20 minute warm up I could feel my nips getting sore again so just took off the singlet for the day that was in it. Really quiet loop so the only ones that seen me was the post woman and a farmer bringing home his turf! Managed to hit the 5:40 pace for the first couple of intervals but was draining by the minute so ditched the 3 minute recoveries and paused the watch towards the end of them to add on another couple of minutes each time.

Did I mention it was hot. End of 6th interval and I reverse my steps after spotting a cattle trough just inside a field gate, well I say a cattle trough but it was actually an old bathtub used to supply cattle with water. Desperate times call for desperate measures so drank a bit out of it (water never tasted so good!) and dunked my head in for good measure.

The splits for today were in the range 5:36 to 5:39 with a 5:46 for the very last one where I was on fumes for the last 60 seconds. However I went way over the 3 minute recoveries so decided to repeat this session the following week.

July 22nd- 8 miles at easy with a few strides

Lunchtime run though Mote Park and back again with some strides thrown in on the return home. Got a few comments afterwards asking was I crazy running in that heat!

July 23rd- Abandoned long run

Order of the day was an hour at 6:25 pace. Brought this one forward a day as Mrs CBG was working the weekend. Wasn't my brightest idea ever to head off just before 12! The plan was to do a local 5 mile loop so that I could take water on board. Headed off on my 30 minute warm up after stashing my water bottle in the shade. Unreal hot today, sweat is just falling off the brim of my baseball hat. 30 minute warm up (as if it was needed!) and then into the faster stuff. first couple of miles come in just under target but I'm not enjoying this one bit, barley a breeze and it feels like an oven. Coming out of the village without me mentally thinking about it my legs just stop and I know I have enough of this and abandon the run before I even get to my water bottle.

July 24th- 60 mins at 6:25 pace

Take 2 but because Mrs CBG is working I don't get out the door til 9 pm. Instead of having to run til after 11 I cut time off the warm up and cool down. A 10 minute warm up with some strides and its into the quicker stuff. This feels much more manageable than previous days effort. Still warm but nowhere near the sheer intensity of yesterday.

This is a one of those lovely but rare runs where everything just clicks and it feels effortless and you are just counting the miles pass by rather than wondering what time is left until this is over! The splits come in at 6:22, 6:21, 6:22, 6:19, 6:20, 6:19, 6:17, 6:15, 6:17 last half mile bit.

July 25th- 8 miles at easy

Another easy run once Mrs CBG got home from work. Passed 2 beer gardens along the route, both of which were fully packed out...hhhmmm whose the bigger ejit?!

Still 2 weeks behind with updates but the new site is making things a bit of a slog.

July 26th- An easy 8 miles around the clonmore loop. Don't remember a thing about this one apart from it being there on Strava.

July 27th- 8 x 5 mins at 5:40 pace.

A repeat of last weeks session but an attempt to get it right with the 3 minute recoveries. Did it on the way home from work. Small bit tight on time so cut down both the warm up and cool downs to make things fit. 10 minute warm up with some strides instead of a 20 minute version and for the first couple of intervals I could feel having missed out on the extra 10 minutes. Didn't have to worry about the excessive heat today, instead it was raining early doors! I walked most of the individual 3 minute recoveries nagged to bang out the times as required. I won't lie but the last couple of intervals were tough especially the last 2 minutes or so and I spent the first minute of the last recovery bent over looking at the ground instead of something as exerting as walking! Intervals all came in the range of 5:36 to 5:39 so happy with that but more particularly to have that session ticked off and in the past tense and hopefully won't see it again for a while!

July 29th- 8 miles at easy with a few strides

Had intended heading across the Shannon for a nose around but as soon as I came out of the locks the bridge in the village was up with all the passing cruisers so had to turn left instead and head around the Clonmore loop. One of the drawbacks of the increased miles and consistency of training is that I'm bored stupid of these local roads!

July 30th- 40 mins at 6:20 pace

Brought this one forward 24 hours due to another wedding. Headed around the bog loop for this one. Small bit tight for time so cut the cool down a bit. Usual 30 minute warm up and strides brought me to the butt of a small sharp hill, nice way to start the faster stuff! This was a lovely run in ideal conditions, barely a breeze out. Other than that I can't remember a thing about it other than the faster stuff eventually giving me a new 10k PB of 38:30, hopefully I can cut another bit off this if I actually raced the distance some day.

July 31st- 8 miles at easy

Early morning run before Mrs CBG had to head to hair dressers. Headed to our local church and in a side road that I haven't been in on in about 25 years. Despite it being only few miles from home I could only match up a couple of the houses on it with their actual owners.

Was supposed to head out for another 8 easy miles on Sunday but was wrecked tired after the wedding and didn't move much from the couch all day. I actually nodded off for the last 10 minutes of the first half in the Kildare Dublin game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I fell asleep in the Hogan Stand during a Kildare defeat to Westmeath in 2016 in maybe the worst game of any organised sport I've ever seen (no offence Barry, the best team did win). It was on straight after Ireland - France last 16 game in Euro 2016, and there may have been other reasons than the football for my, ahem, grogginess.

My apathy with the new format was led to a 2 month gap in updates, have been using it more and more recently though mainly to make sure I'm not the only one annoyed at on goings at Old Trafford so will try and get back in the game with weekly training updates.

I wont bore myself with describing the last 2 months just to say training went well and stayed injury free for the main part (one almost very costly self imposed embarrassing incident aside!). ok, what happened was about a month ago I was helping my dad move some of the sheep on the farm. We had them right up to the gate but would they hell walk out and kept double backing on us. At the third attempt we had them in the same position again so i decided to kick one of those big blue barrels that's doubles up as a water trough in order to make a loud noise to scare them into going out the gate. 2 things though, i forgot that the barrel was full of water and because it was a really warm day i also forgot i was wearing a really old pair of Saucony runners instead of my steel toe capped wellingtons!! Lucky i didn't break my toe in hindsight, the whole area was swollen for couple of days and totally black, lucky escape!!

Anyways last Sunday i toed the line in our GAA clubs annual Half marathon, my first actual race since the Clontarf HM in 2019 which was 96 weeks ago! Had been feeling good all week but the weather had really taken a turn in that time and seemed to be belting rain every night and sure enough i woke up Sunday morning around 5am to wind howling and rain absolutely battering the window. I got up a couple of hours later and it had calmed down so all good.

Headed up to the top of our lane around half 9 to clap the 40 or so runners doing the 3/4 marathon and then back to the house to get kitted out. The half was starting at half 10 with the 8k getting under way 15 minutes before that. I started my warm up just before 10 am running down the main road for a mile or so along the HM course but straight into a strong headwind, FFS. Turned around and met the 8K runners strung out on the other side of the road. I knew a good few of the locals doing it so lots of shouts over of How are ya John while i tried to quickly pick out who said what and return the greeting. Back to the top of our lane to give my wife and kids my hoody to be told off by my mum about killing myself in a warm up before the actual race started at all! Mums eh!

Down into the village doing some final strides before getting ready at the start line.

Announcer asked the fast people to come up to the top, I wouldn't be a confident person at all so i hung back a small bit and with a 3 second countdown we were off. Probably should have started a bit higher up as I got a bit boxed in for the first 400 metres or so but no harm done. Quickly passed by my gang at the top of the lane and we were away racing. Even at this early stage I could see about 9 lads racing away up the road (i looked some of them up afterwards and they covered that first mile in 5:45). I could soon see a Trim athletics club athlete drift back off this group so just focused on catching up to him. The bloody wind was already annoying me and 6:20 pace felt pretty tough, i usually struggle with pace for the first 15-20 mins so just decided to keep at it and get my second wind rather than ease off to accommodate the wind.

Caught the Trim guy at the mile marker. Quick chat and find out he's a 1:25 HM guy which is all good with me but then he says he's just back from injury so won't be doing that today and soon tells me he's easing up a bit and told me to go on ahead, balls! The group up ahead are way out in front now while I can't hear anyone coming up from behind so I'm all by myself already and its only a mile and a half into the race. Both the first couple of miles come in at 6:16, happy with that but already i know that the effort levels are above that. Turn left off the N5 and onto the old main road and the wind really picks up, double balls. The worst thing about this section is that I've run it so much the last few years that i know all the distance markers on it and i know exactly how long I'm going to be on it. The upside though is that we are now on the same road as the lads doing the 3/4 so up ahead i can see some of them strung out individually and they act as targets to pick off. I can also see everyone moving to the opposite side of the road up ahead, please please be because it offers more respite from the wind, i try it but it makes absolutely no difference! The next 2 miles come in at 6:12 and 6:17.

Now we are closing in on the start of the first climb of the day, a rise in elevation of about 150 foot over the course of a bit less than a mile, hardly Everest but its still a long drag with the wind still in our faces. Don't know how many times I've ran up this section in the last 2 years but it's never felt like a big deal. Some difference racing the previous 4 miles into it makes! Its one of those that starts rising slowly getting steeper the further into it you go. I'm not the only one finding it tough though as up ahead I can see another lad from the half and i soon catch and pass him. From the shadow I can see him fall in right on my heels to get away from the wind but I'm in no mood to be a personal wind break and it's not long before his shadow is gone. Eventually we are back out on the N5 and cross over with a Garda's help and now we are driving downhill. Try to take a breather in this bit but i can see the pace drifting above 6:30 even going downhill so up the pace and try bank some time before the next climb. These couple of miles come in at 6:27 and 6:19.

Turn right off the N5 again still flying downhill but I'm dreading what's coming....another 150 foot odd rise in elevation but this one is over the course of about 500 metres. Worse still the initial part of it is the steepest so no easing into it. While My pace was easily sub 6 min/mile coming into it it's not long drifting way over that! Someone has set up a water station about 50 metres into the climb but it's no place to be slowing down. Again its a hill I've run up a good few times but never having raced the previous 6 odd miles! I can feel my legs slowing, my breathing getting louder and louder and my heart beat is hammering away in my ear and that metallic taste is in my mouth. This hill keeps going, draining me with every bloody step and even as it eases out the pain is still real. At the top of it my friend's dad is handing out water bottles, he gives me a funny look and says something but i think my body has temporarily shut all but the functions i need to finish this hill as i don't hear what he said! Take a mouthful of water and spit it out and it's the colour of Ribena, WTF I was sure it was water he was handing out! I rub my hand around my face and nose and sure enough I've had a small nose bleed at some stage! Do a bit of running repairs on the run and then back into it, the previous mile coming in at 6:18.

The majority of the next 2 miles are a very welcome downhill relief. No longer running into the wind but it doesn't seem to be blowing at my back now at all. Still passing the odd 3/4 runner but it's still a pretty lonely run out here, nobody outside their houses to clap us on. These couple of miles are the quickest of the day coming in at 5:58 and 6:03. Ok just over 4 miles to go but man I'm shattered and it's turning into a pure and utter slog. The next 2 miles are a horrible existence. The legs are still turning over but there's no spring or pop in them. The next HM guy with long hair and a luminous bandana is about 30 seconds ahead of me but I can't seem to close the gap and worse of all mentally I'm not trying to push myself to catch him either. All that goes through my head in these miles are how much i hate life right now, why didn't i just do the 8k, i hate wind and I'm calculating on the fly how many more minutes before this agony is over! These miles include my slowest of the day at 6:29 even though there was only a couple of minor climbs in it.

Into the last 2 miles and we are now on the part of the course that the 8K people would have ran so there are distance markers on the course now for the 3 different races which helps break it up a bit with each marker passed signifying a minor victory. Bandana man is still annoyingly 30 seconds up ahead but the gap isn't for closing. One last small hill in the last mile and then it's downhill into the village. The night before i had envisaged really upping my pace at this point and speeding home but the reality of it is that it's all about survival now and getting to the finish. Turn right onto the N5 again and uphill and into the wind for the last 500 metres before crossing the finishing line.

Have to say I've never ever been so relieved to cross a finish line or absolutely wrecked either. I'm a pretty picture for my wife and kids with blood smeared over my cheek! It's only then i look at the watch and see the 1 new record alert and a time of 1:22:18 to put just over 4 and a half minutes into my previous PB. I'm grand again after a few minutes but a cool down run ain't happening! The winner somehow got around in 1:14 and looking at his Strava description of the race he was only using it as a long run speed session!!

Down to the pub that night for first time since Covid came along and i was more shook from that then the race on Monday morning! Don't know how some people do it but it'll be a long long time before I'm in there on a Sunday night again.

Would like to have another crack at HM at end of November But Clontarf is sold out and Clonakilty and Corbally are too far away but will keep looking. Will hopefully keep at the log now again as i do enjoy updating it and reading all the other logs but the update put me off for a long time. For anyone still reading, apologies for the long report!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

That’s a super effort and time. Well done 👏

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Great race & report! Keep logging it's good to read other people's logs😊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Super report and well done - a great effort on a dodgy route and into the breeze. Top marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

That was a great read J. Having to run alone for most of your first race in so long certainly wasn't easy !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,419 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good man, great time on what sounds like a tough course!

Advertisement