Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭dobman88

newman10 wrote: »
    It may reignite a proper discussion regarding pedestrianisation of the town centre and a better use of Plunkett St and Main St.
    A Band Stand, proper Farmers Market, look at the amount of Food Trucks serving great food, Street Entertainment and much more

Pretty much the entire town centre is made for on street dining, if they took away the on street parking. You have loads of car parks in Killarney now and if you took away the parking on College street, High Street and New Street, you could nearly pedestrianise the lot (apart from College street for access to the glebe car park and taxis) and create permanent structures instead of the parking spaces.

Have it so that delivery trucks can get in until a certain time, say midday, and that's that. Reserve a small amount of spaces for wheelchair/disabled access and job done..

I asked Niall Kelleher and Niall O Callaghan about this years ago. Both said something similar to my suggestion was in the pipeline but nothing happened.

Look how vibrant the space outside the International was last summer when they stopped vehicles going into that little area outside it. Created a great atmosphere while walking past and looked great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 macmac6969

Hi all. I run the social media for the Killarney Brewing Company, and I reposted the photo #Prayforthepark as the hashtag stood out to me. I saw some other businesses sharing the post also.
    To be honest when I reposted the photo I actually did not see the campfire in the photograph at all. If I had seen that at the time I obviously would have not reposted it.
    I have removed it from our social media and I would appreciate if you would remove this comment also I think it is uncalled for. An honest mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 4 macmac6969

I just saw that post that the Killarney Brewing Company put on their Instagram story, wow... how idiotic can one be? I know that they were just reposting someone else's picture but just show's that they couldn't give a toss about the park and the damage caused.

Hi all. I run the Instagram account for the Killarney Brewery and I reposted the photo with the hashtag #prayforthepark, as the hashtag stood out to me. I saw a lot of other businesses reposting the photo also and to be honest at the time of posting it, I did not even see the campfire in the photo. Obviously if I had seen it at the time I would not have reposted it at all. So very sorry for that.
    The national park means a great deal to myself and the Killarney Brewing Company, and the fires that happened last week were devastating to the town and the wildlife.
    I would appreciate if you removed this comment calling the company out like this on an honest mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Sikpupi

Hi all. I need someone to look at my 20yr++ hot tank in house. Any recommendations of who can replace same in a tidy and good job???

Kate Kearneys serving pints through the hatch for anyone looking for a nice pint in a grand location. Big wide open car park across the road and public toilets open there. We stopped off for 2 yesterday and they were lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Public consultation has opened on the route options for the new N22 Farranfore-Killarney dual carriageway:

https://n22publicconsultation.virtualeventspace.io/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Radio5

Sign of old normal on Friday afternoon. Stuck in a traffic jam going into town all the way from Lissivigeen roundabout...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Ya traffic certainly seems to have picked up the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Have many of the tourist shops in Killarney aimed at international tourists even bothered to reopen since non essential retail reopened last week? I'd imagine it wouldn't be worth their while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

ongarboy wrote: »
    Have many of the tourist shops in Killarney aimed at international tourists even bothered to reopen since non essential retail reopened last week? I'd imagine it wouldn't be worth their while.

I was in Killarney Thursday and most if not all of them were closed.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Anyone recommend a good barber? Need to get my lockdown mane chopped off, but keeping it relatively long, so won't just be a quick cut.

Was looking at borubarbers, but they don't seem to have any appointments till June 14th (according to their booking system).

Kiith wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a good barber? Need to get my lockdown mane chopped off, but keeping it relatively long, so won't just be a quick cut.

Was looking at borubarbers, but they don't seem to have any appointments till June 14th (according to their booking system).

The ladies down the lane at the Dunloe Lodge, beside the continental bakery. The name escapes me now but I used them for years when I lived in Killarney and really couldnt recommend them highly enough.

Is it just me or is anyone else annoyed by the junction between Beech Road and Mission Road and how it bizarrely seem to favour drivers coming from Beech Road over those already on Mission Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Is it just me or is anyone else annoyed by the junction between Beech Road and Mission Road and how it bizarrely seem to favour drivers coming from Beech Road over those already on Mission Road?

Can't say it has bothered me any but I'm now afraid that because the notion is in my head I'm going to start noticing it and it will start to bug me.

I think there was talk a while back about putting in a pedestrian crossing around there for people going into the Park ? I think some of the councillors were proposing it. If a pedestrian crossing is put in place, it might affect the flow situation between Misson Road and Beech Road.

Also regarding the Park, I think there should be more signage around Killarney House

I got talking to some tourists on Monday who were down over the weekend and staying in town and they were saying they had gone on walks out Muckross both Saturday and Sunday and how great it was. I asked them had they gone into the Park/down to Ross Castle and they were totally unaware of it. This isn't the first time I've got talking to tourists in town who were unaware of the Park/Killarney House - it happened a couple of time preCOVID. I know their are some signs up but I think it could be made even clearer to tourists.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Can't say it has bothered me any but I'm now afraid that because the notion is in my head I'm going to start noticing it and it will start to bug me.

It seems that, if cars are only moving up one space at a time, the yellow box helps the car coming from Beech Road edge out and gain an advantage over a car staying back to keep the box clear. It's a junction that might benefit from traffic lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Can't say it's really "annoyed" me but you certainly need to be a bit careful if coming in from the Killorglin side as if someone pulls out in front of you, you could be blocking traffic coming from the Plaza side trying to turn down Beech Rd or coming from Beech Rd wanting to turn right out of town.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Anyone know of a pickup game of football going? 5-7 a side? Would love to get back into a regular astro league.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Heading down to Killarney for a few days towards the end of June.

Some random questions:

1. Is there any gyms with decent equipment(weights) that will allow pay as you go?
    2. Best place for pizza, preferably wood fire :)
    3. Best fish restaurant?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Some random questions:

1. Is there any gyms with decent equipment(weights) that will allow pay as you go?
    3. Best fish restaurant?

Best Gym PAYG Killarney Sports Centre
    Fish Restaurant Mad Monk
    Pizza Piccolo Pizza

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Salvadoor

Some random questions:

3. Best fish restaurant?

1. Physique Fitness
    2. Piccolo (take away only though)
    3. Foleys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Was there a fire in the Eviston House Hotel / Danny Man Bar? I have accommodation booked there for a couple of weeks time, but I haven't heard anything from them.

finbarrk wrote: »
    Was there a fire in the Eviston House Hotel / Danny Man Bar? I have accommodation booked there for a couple of weeks time, but I haven't heard anything from them.

Yes. I'd contact them asap so you can book alternative accommodation if needed.

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2021/0607/1226453-killarney-hotel-evacuated-after-early-morning-fire/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Radio5

Is the bottle bank in the Glebe Car Park still open? Noticed lots of tables for outdoor dining around there , just wondering if it's still accessible.

Radio5 wrote: »
    Is the bottle bank in the Glebe Car Park still open? Noticed lots of tables for outdoor dining around there , just wondering if it's still accessible.

No it's not there at the moment -presume it's just for a while with COVID - the one in the Tesco/Beech Road is still there - used it Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Radio5 wrote: »

Bottie got his tables ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Some great pics of wild boar with piglets on social media today from the national park.

Turns out the park rangers shot them a few hours ago.

Disgraceful.

Theyd obviously lived there for a few years incident free

Some great pics of wild boar with piglets on social media today from the national park.

Disgraceful.

They are classified as an invasive species.

The park rangers didn't just shoot them for the laugh.

https://www.biodiversityireland.ie/wild-boar-hybridferal-pig/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,952 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    They are classified as an invasive species.

The park rangers didn't just shoot them for the laugh.

https://www.biodiversityireland.ie/wild-boar-hybridferal-pig/

They should have left them alone, if only to give thrill-seeking tourists a run for their money :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Disgraceful.

Was it in the park? The warnings about the adult male were in Mount Eagle, which is out by dingle.

• Advertisement

oeb wrote: »
    Was it in the park? The warnings about the adult male were in Mount Eagle, which is out by dingle.

Cordal, outside Castleisland.

Theres another area also called mount eagle

Advertisement