Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

This may not be there right place to post this so Mods feel free to move but it is just up the road from M7 J10.

Consultation opened this week on putting another roundabout on the R445, doing away with the existing median crossing;

https://consult.kildarecoco.ie/en/consultation/proposed-improvements-newhall-junction-part-8-planning-ref-p8202105

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    This may not be there right place to post this so Mods feel free to move but it is just up the road from M7 J10.

Consultation opened this week on putting another roundabout on the R445, doing away with the existing median crossing;

https://consult.kildarecoco.ie/en/consultation/proposed-improvements-newhall-junction-part-8-planning-ref-p8202105

I had a look at the plans earlier in the week, I think this was awaiting the new road being finished before it got underway, possibly also informed by traffic using this junction coming from Floods Cross to avoid the Naas ring road, plenty of trucks coming out of that junction.

It includes a fair amount of walking and cycling provision, so I'm hopeful that this is just the start of a walking and cycling upgrade to the road. Bridges or underpasses of the main road should be considered instead of the crossing envisaged, but obviously outside the budget of such a scheme at present.

I've made suggestions for improvements to a local councillor, so we will see what comes of it.

It includes a fair amount of walking and cycling provision, so I'm hopeful that this is just the start of a walking and cycling upgrade to the road. Bridges or underpasses of the main road should be considered instead of the crossing envisaged, but obviously outside the budget of such a scheme at present.

The crossings of the local roads north and south of the roundabout are probably fine given the low traffic volumes but the uncontrolled crossings of the dual carriageway will be deathtraps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

That was planned a long time ago. I had thought they were going to proceed with it before the newly located M7 junction, but must have been put on the long finger.

Far too many crashes and near misses at that junction especially with dangerous fools who turn from the sallins road onto lane two of the newbridge carriageway

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Is Millenium Link Road now part of the R407?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

I understand we await official redesignation. This will trigger removing the remaining temporary paint on the road signage revealing the presumably R407 designation on the linking stretch of the Millennium Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

I understand we await official redesignation. This will trigger removing the remaining temporary paint on the road signage revealing the presumably R407 designation on the linking stretch of the Millennium Road.

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Stan27

I drove the sallins bypass today. (Clane to waterford direction). It is excellent

I walked as far as the applegreen (coming from Naas) last weekend - I had no idea that the vast majority of the ringroad had no cycling/walking provision whatsoever. That was hardly building/planning for the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

Darc19 wrote: »
    The road number is clearly stated on the sign - R407.

The R407 goes to Kilcock via Clane. The R407 does not go to Celbridge or Maynooth.

By that logic the signs on the M7 as you come out of Dublin wouldn't show the distance to Cork because the M7 goes to Limerick. Similarly, the M4 signs wouldn't show Galway because the M4/N4 goes to Sligo. There is provision in the road signage manual for destinations off the mainline route to be shown. The mandated format is to put those destinations in parentheses. He has a point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I walked as far as the applegreen (coming from Naas) last weekend - I had no idea that the vast majority of the ringroad had no cycling/walking provision whatsoever. That was hardly building/planning for the future!

They are trying to send pedestrian traffic down a newly built path to the canal. The only foot path you will be on till you eventually get to the bypass.

Its at the millennium rd motorway bridge.

From the canal bridge on the Osbertowns rd, you then have to walk or cycle a very dangerous and fast road, with double solid white lines (again with no path) to the road where the Leinster Aqueduct is.

From about 300m down that country road (with no path), they built two paths onto the bypass.

Its very typically Irish. And does nothing for the community who have been campaigning for years for safer infrastructure . Especially with the new secondary school on the verge of opening.
    What is going to happen when that school opens, is children trying to negotiate the two new motorway roundabouts while walking on a road. What could possible go wrong!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

cantalach wrote: »
    By that logic the signs on the M7 as you come out of Dublin wouldn't show the distance to Cork because the M7 goes to Limerick. Similarly, the M4 signs wouldn't show Galway because the M4/N4 goes to Sligo. There is provision in the road signage manual for destinations off the mainline route to be shown. The mandated format is to put those destinations in parentheses. He has a point.

Some places still do that crapp. From Maynooth interchange, you'd struggle to find Galway

https://goo.gl/maps/PHq3A2rdg3Vof3Rx7

No wonder the annonymous man looks confused

Yeah, I walked as far as Osberstown Cottages along the canal and then turned back to head out the millennium ringroad. It's insane that in 2020/21, for an additional trivial cost, they didn't put in active travel provision for the future - Naas/Sallins is going to continue to grow (both in its own right and as a commuter suburb for Dublin) and the new ringroad is inevitably going to become part of the ribbon development.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Yeah, I walked as far as Osberstown Cottages along the canal and then turned back to head out the millennium ringroad. It's insane that in 2020/21, for an additional trivial cost, they didn't put in active travel provision for the future - Naas/Sallins is going to continue to grow (both in its own right and as a commuter suburb for Dublin) and the new ringroad is inevitably going to become part of the ribbon development.

Don't think there's much on the ringroad other than getting to your destination. If cycling-commuting, one would go through the town? Maybe there's some plan for Liffey Greenway, i'm speculating here.

With a bit of luck there will be some cop from the council not to build on the bypass. Defeats it's function.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Stan27 wrote: »
    I drove the sallins bypass today. (Clane to waterford direction). It is excellent

I have driven the opposite way in the mornings. Also excellent job done, with smooth tar laid, sure puts the inside lane between J9 & j10 SB to shame.

One query: anyone know why already there is a lane closure? I am referring to the Clane slip road at J9a NB so soon after opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I have driven the opposite way in the mornings. Also excellent job done, with smooth tar laid, sure puts the inside lane between J9 & j10 SB to shame

Lane 1 between on the entire project was a simple resurface over a well used road.

Don't think there's much on the ringroad other than getting to your destination. If cycling-commuting, one would go through the town? Maybe there's some plan for Liffey Greenway, i'm speculating here.

With a bit of luck there will be some cop from the council not to build on the bypass. Defeats it's function.
    The southern bypass is busily being overtaken by ribbon development!

I don't know what the long term plans for canal path are, but on my walk it didn't exactly seem aimed at cycle commuting (or anything a bit more than a VERY leisurely cycle), and the main sallins-naas road isn't very amenable to cycling nor does it have the width to add modern cycling facilities without taking away from the pedestrian.

Again, it's 2021. Putting in walkways and cyclelanes on a brand new ringroad/bypass/link road on what's likely to be one of the faster growing towns in the country in the years ahead isn't exactly 'out there' as a concept! It doesn't add exorbitantly to the cost and it's much cheaper to do at build phase.

The Naas ring road / bypass and local roads are probably better suited to the Kildare forum and a specific thread there.

Ideally a ring road should be for vehicles but with substantial new cycle/pedestrian priority given in the town centre.

silver2020 wrote: »
    Ideally a ring road should be for vehicles but with substantial new cycle/pedestrian priority given in the town centre.
    Why should ring roads only be for vehicles? As a cycle commuter in Dublin, I'd rather indirect roads with less junctions/interference than going a more 'direct' but busier route - I doubt it's any different elsewhere in towns across the country.

My brother cycle commutes from Rathcoole to Dublin 12, he'd much rather be able to cycle along the N7 safely, at high speed and without interference than go via citywest, tallaght, ballymount and walkinstown.

Again, this stuff is patently obvious so I don't really understand why people are being dimly argumentative about it.

If you're building new roads around existing settlements, include cycling&walking provision.

Why should ring roads only be for vehicles? As a cycle commuter in Dublin, I'd rather indirect roads with less junctions/interference than going a more 'direct' but busier route - I doubt it's any different elsewhere in towns across the country.

My brother cycle commutes from Rathcoole to Dublin 12, he'd much rather be able to cycle along the N7 safely, at high speed and without interference than go via citywest, tallaght, ballymount and walkinstown.

Again, this stuff is patently obvious so I don't really understand why people are being dimly argumentative about it.

If you're building new roads around existing settlements, include cycling&walking provision.
    again, this is more suited to the naas thread.

It seems you didn't read the second half of my sentence that if its for vehicles only the town centre / more DIRECT routes should change to pedestrian/cycle priority. EG, town centre routes that gives priority to cyclists and pedestrians over vehicles effectively pushing cars to the ringroad and making it far safer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: @ Silver2020

Less of the backseat modding. Use the Report post or PM a mod instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

BuzzFish wrote: »

Put this in context as Bill Clear loves to mouth off without context.

This was a "snagging" report for want of better word. It was commissioned by Siac Colas in March before the opening and after they completed the works to the designs set out.

And it is not designed for pedestrians - it is NOT a walking route for Bill Clear's mates - the idea is to take traffic from sallins to make sallins pedestrian and cycle friendly.

Many of the issues are minor and were corrected before opening. If you drive on the bypass you'll find that all of the urgent matters are completed and were completed at the time of opening. - Bill Clear won't say that as its does not suit his hysterical attention grabbing need for publicity.

Bill Clear is a hysterical mouthpiece - his ramblings are best avoided.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Put this in context as Bill Clear loves to mouth off without context.

This was a "snagging" report for want of better word. It was commissioned by Siac Colas in March before the opening and after they completed the works to the designs set out.

And it is not designed for pedestrians - it is NOT a walking route for Bill Clear's mates - the idea is to take traffic from sallins to make sallins pedestrian and cycle friendly.

Many of the issues are minor and were corrected before opening. If you drive on the bypass you'll find that all of the urgent matters are completed and were completed at the time of opening. - Bill Clear won't say that as its does not suit his hysterical attention grabbing need for publicity.

Bill Clear is a hysterical mouthpiece - his ramblings are best avoided.

The 'Purpose' of the bypass is indeed to move traffic out of the village, that does not mean that you can simply ignore or make minimal effort with the provision of Pedestrian and cycling facilities on the route, as you say this is the 'snagging' report, and aspects relating to the carriageways were handled as required before opening, but not so with pedestrian and cycling issues, the biggest 'fix' I have seen was a cycling logo burned off the ground on approach to the railway underpass, making that section 'pedestrian only'. That section includes no barrier at a sharp corner in the pedestrian path, leaving maybe a metre gap of flat dirt between the pedestrian path and full dual carriageway traffic. The lack of walking and cycling provision along the remainder of the dual carriageway across the motorway junction, directly linking Sallins by foot and bike with the new Naas Community College is a big planning fail. And the exits onto the canal bank road for cyclists and pedestrians have poor visibility and no signage, still!

I'm not going to pass comment regarding Bill's agenda or social media handling, but the bypass is a modern Irish road and should therefore adequately serve ALL users, not just motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Am I the only one to think they did the right thing not having cycle/walking lanes at a junction with multiple free flow lanes entering and leaving a motorway which bikes and walkers would have to cross? Seems like a recipe for disaster to me if they did. I think they were 100% right sending them an alternative route.

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Am I the only one to think they did the right thing not having cycle/walking lanes at a junction with multiple free flow lanes entering and leaving a motorway which bikes and walkers would have to cross? Seems like a recipe for disaster to me if they did. I think they were 100% right sending them an alternative route.

I'd be inclined to agree if the alternative was a well considered and high quality protected route, but its both haphazard and disjointed. Honestly there probably should have been a commitment to a pedestrian bridge across the motorway, similar to what would have been done in the Netherlands, but given this is Ireland the cycle/walking alternative route being safe and continuous would have been sensible.

I have the same issue further up at the Naas/Newbridge road junction. I wouldn't want or expect pedestrians and cyclists to traverse that junction, but the former junction (now just a bridge over from bundle of sticks roundabout) is perfect for an alternative route for Peds and cyclists, then a track along the side of the motorway and link in to the Newbridge road there. They are upgrading the floods cross junction soon to a roundabout with pedestrian and cycling facilities so its not like they don't expect cyclists and walkers along it, even though its currently a distinctly unpleasant environment for them.

I have the same issue further up at the Naas/Newbridge road junction. I wouldn't want or expect pedestrians and cyclists to traverse that junction, but the former junction (now just a bridge over from bundle of sticks roundabout) is perfect for an alternative route for Peds and cyclists, then a track along the side of the motorway and link in to the Newbridge road there.

What happened to the northbound off ramp, could it become part of a ped/cycling route?

What happened to the northbound off ramp, could it become part of a ped/cycling route?

Yeah it would be perfect as part of a Ped/Cycling link

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Any hope of getting an extension to the Sallins by pass that would extend beyond Clane to link the M4?

• Advertisement

Truckermal wrote: »
    Any hope of getting an extension to the Sallins by pass that would extend beyond Clane to link the M4?

Based on the time line for this one, I suspect such a project would be due for completion in 2091

I doubt such a plan would work as it would bring far too much traffic in to the area.

Advertisement