Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 2021 Round 6: Azerbaijan GP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Great session. Delighted for Charles. Bottas got mugged by the team as usual.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,103 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

This also shows why vast run off areas and not imposing track limits properly ruins races.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

Faugheen wrote: »
    Looking forward to the barrage of abuse being directed at Max for acting like a petulant child here when it doesn't go his way, again.

Time for everyone here to show their consistencies.

Throwing the toys out the pram. Imagine if it was Lewis acting like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

A bit childish from Verstappen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭This is it

What did Max say? Had to turn off. Will try grab a video of it later

• Advertisement

Should be an interesting race tomorrow to say the least. Hamilton win I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbh, these red flags ending qualifications should be changed and put a better system in place. I do think it's absolutely bs that a driver can get pole early and someone else makes a mistake preventing others from challenging it. Or the worse version of the driver themselves causing the red flag on purpose.

This is it wrote: »
    What did Max say? Had to turn off. Will try grab a video of it later

He said "I'm sick of this sh1t". Referring to red flags.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

namloc1980 wrote: »
    A bit childish from Verstappen.

In fairness he's a racing driver so there's the mentality to be number one and the fastest if that doesn't happen then of course he's going to be angry and frustrated

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

titan18 wrote: »
    Tbh, these red flags ending qualifications should be changed and put a better system in place. I do think it's absolutely bs that a driver can get pole early and someone else makes a mistake preventing others from challenging it. Or the worse version of the driver themselves causing the red flag on purpose.

It's a very rare occurrence. It happened 2 races in a row which is extremely unlikely. But they were both strreet circuits and Monaco is completely unsuitable for f1. So thensolutuon would be to stop going to stupid tracks which produce this kind of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

PsychoPete wrote: »
    In fairness he's a racing driver so there's the mentality to be number one and the fastest if that doesn't happen then of course he's going to be angry and frustrated

Exactly.

So when Hamilton shows the same anger and frustrations he gets pages upon pages of personal abuse aimed at him and for Max it's just part of being a driver.

See the issue now?

PsychoPete wrote: »

Should have got his lap in earlier. It was close to a certainty there'd be flags given 3 reds had happened to that point and they were all on top of each other at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭This is it

Exactly.

So when Hamilton shows the same anger and frustrations he gets pages upon pages of personal abuse aimed at him and for Max it's just part of being a driver.

See the issue now?

Max is the lesser of two evils right now...

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

The best thing about this , is how close the times were for the cars.

Even in Q2 back to 13th what was it 0.6s of gap .

anyone from 1-8 could have potentially grabbed pole .

last year we were looking at p5 been a second off the front

This is it wrote: »
    Max is the lesser of two evils right now...

:pac:

It shouldn't be about being a lesser of two evils.

What Hamilton did at Monaco and Max today is perfectly normal for a racing driver, but it's only acceptable/passable for one driver to do it while the other one is called a 'f*cking dick' or 'a little bitch'.

Max was complaining about red flags. Should they wait for him to finish his lap? Why is that acceptable but Hamilton being annoyed at his team isn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

It shouldn't be about being a lesser of two evils.

What Hamilton did at Monaco and Max today is perfectly normal for a racing driver, but it's only acceptable/passable for one driver to do it while the other one is called a 'f*cking dick' or 'a little bitch'.

Max was complaining about red flags. Should they wait for him to finish his lap? Why is that acceptable but Hamilton being annoyed at his team isn't?

Is getting angry at an event, and being angry at your team not slightly different?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,103 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Can't see Norris escaping a penalty

Sainz gave the rear end a whack too. Perez might be two places up which could be important.

Is getting angry at an event, and being angry at your team not slightly different?

No I wouldn't say that. I would say it's perfectly normal on both occasions especially for a driver who is trying to win the World Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Toto confirmed there that this week was Lewis' turn to choose first out or second, and he chose second. It sure worked in his favour.

Gotta feel sorry for Bottas. Gave Lewis a big tow that got him 2nd on the grid. Then when it came to his turn the red flags came out. The guy has no luck at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

No I wouldn't say that. I would say it's perfectly normal on both occasions especially for a driver who is trying to win the World Championship.

Max didn't say anything controversial, apart from using the word shít. He's frustrated at the way things turned out but he's not blaming anyone for it. He said that's the way it goes and was philosophical about it. Nothing to see here.

Max didn't say anything controversial, apart from using the word shít. He's frustrated at the way things turned out but he's not blaming anyone for it. He said that's the way it goes and was philosophical about it. Nothing to see here.

Neither did Hamilton in Monaco (EDIT: Say anything controversial), but they both threw the toys out of the pram when it didn't go their way.

People need to learn to read on this forum. Both threw the toys out of the pram when it didn't go their way. One is called a bitch and a dick, the other gets a pass when he is very well known for having a whinge himself.

It's consistency, or the lack thereof. It's nothing to do with a driving throwing the toys out of the pram it's just a sheer unnecessary hatred for one driver which is why people here pretend to give a **** when Hamilton does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I thought Hamiltons post race comment was worse, unless that's what you mean. Not in the heat of the moment, just pure snarky.

It's not really a big deal either way, am sure RB/Merc are used to them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Neither did Hamilton in Monaco, but they both threw the toys out of the pram when it didn't go their way.

People need to learn to read on this forum. Both threw the toys out of the pram when it didn't go their way. One is called a bitch and a dick, the other gets a pass when he is very well known for having a whinge himself.

It's consistency, or the lack thereof. It's nothing to do with a driving throwing the toys out of the pram it's just a sheer unnecessary hatred for one driver which is why people here pretend to give a **** when Hamilton does it.

Max said an event in the race was sh**, Hamilton pretty much said he was better than everyone on his team because he had nothing to learn but the team did. Huge difference and yes that kind of stuff does make him a major d**k.

The exact same way when verstappen described himself as someone with special needs everyone slated him.

I don't know what your fascination is with Hamilton but the constant whinging when people that are not fans of his call him out on stuff is as irritating as Hamilton himself.

Reminds me of the "leave Brittany alone" video

Hijpo wrote: »
    Max said an event in the race was sh**, Hamilton pretty much said he was better than everyone on his team because he had nothing to learn but the team did. Huge difference and yes that kind of stuff does make him a major d**k.

The exact same way when verstappen described himself as someone with special needs everyone slated him.

I don't know what your fascination is with Hamilton but the constant whinging when people that are not fans of his call him out on stuff is as irritating as Hamilton himself.

Reminds me of the "leave Brittany alone" video

I think it's perfectly acceptable to be able to wonder why adults aren't capable of criticising a driver without the vitriol that is aimed at Hamilton.

Someone posted last week that he never gives the team credit when it goes well, which is up there with one of the most stupid and quite frankly bullsh*t posts ever made in this forum. Not one single poster who was slagging him called that out for the absolute horsesh*t it was and that tells me everything I need to know.

That's the problem. Nobody gives a f*ck about him whinging about his team because when anyone else whinges about something not going their way we're supposed to be sympathetic.

Not one single person who despises Hamilton can take off their rose-tinted glasses when it comes to discussing anything about him. He's just a dick and a bitch and that's the end of it and it's perfectly fine to label him as such and also to post outright lies about him.

Anybody who tries to call out those inconsistencies is dismissed as 'having a fascination' or being compared to the 'leave Britney alone' videos. Great contribution and great debate there.

If the F2 sprint race is anything to go by tomorrow will be crazy. 2 safety cars in the first 6 laps so far!

Make that 3 safety cars/VSC in first 8 laps in the F2 race.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

3 place penalty for Lando, starts 9th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I think it's perfectly acceptable to be able to wonder why adults aren't capable of criticising a driver without the vitriol that is aimed at Hamilton.

Someone posted last week that he never gives the team credit when it goes well, which is up there with one of the most stupid and quite frankly bullsh*t posts ever made in this forum. Not one single poster who was slagging him called that out for the absolute horsesh*t it was and that tells me everything I need to know.

That's the problem. Nobody gives a f*ck about him whinging about his team because when anyone else whinges about something not going their way we're supposed to be sympathetic.

Not one single person who despises Hamilton can take off their rose-tinted glasses when it comes to discussing anything about him. He's just a dick and a bitch and that's the end of it and it's perfectly fine to label him as such and also to post outright lies about him.

Anybody who tries to call out those inconsistencies is dismissed as 'having a fascination' or being compared to the 'leave Britney alone' videos. Great contribution and great debate there.

He is the biggest whinger in the sport by far, there is always an issue with something even though he's clearly in the most reliable and fastest car with the best and maybe biggest team behind him for the last number of years. Does Bottas do the same thing? No, he doesn't.
    Hamilton is not a likeable character, I have only really followed the sport since maybe half way through the last calendar and simce the i find Hamilton insufferable. Other people have had to endure his nonsense for many more and for that reason I can't blame them for floating over posts that slate him whether it's true or not

There's nothing to debate, it reminds me of that video, some randomer getting in a tizzy because Hamilton is not getting a good reception. Half the time your replies are not even contradicting the view of what people have said, its the fact they have said something negative about him.

I'll leave it at that, not to drag the thread off topic anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭McFly85

Neither did Hamilton in Monaco (EDIT: Say anything controversial), but they both threw the toys out of the pram when it didn't go their way.

They are 2 different things, though. Drivers complain all the time about things outside of their control - this season I think nearly everyone has rightly had a pop at Mazepin, for example.

Lewis has form for admonishing his team publicly. He's the best driver on the grid, and has the might of the biggest F1 team all working to the singular goal of giving him the best chance to win races - but it's still sport, and there will always be things that won't go to plan. No reason after the race last week for him to say that they need to learn and he doesn't. He drove poorly all weekend, Bottas showed the Merc still had decent pace around the track but he couldn't find it. Just be a teammate and say we got it wrong and we have to work on it.

Interestingly Max I used to find to be a lot more petulant and arrogant, and I couldn't stand him for it. This season he seems a lot more mature, takes the good and the bad as a team. Barcelona was a good example, you could hear how frustrated he was as the team basically got their strategy completely wrong and he had no chance of winning it - but by the end of the race there was no wringing anyone out to dry. I sincerely doubt Lewis would have reacted that way.

So you might want to simplify things to create a false equivalency, but I can understand some of the things Lewis does rubbing people the wrong way.

Advertisement