Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,649 ✭✭✭ eddhorse

Actually i did have an issue with the newly supplied Fenrir 20 pin cable, i had to use my old one. If that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ Colonel Panic

Yeah, willing to try anything. I’ve got three ribbon cables now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭ The Last Bandit

Added MIDI & Wifi support to my Mister in an Amiga 600 case. Really liking this platform, the Amiga support is great now with RTG enabled and the new shared folder support so you can ftp files straight onto the Amiga disk.

MIDI on the PC core sounds excellent, not configured it for the Amiga or Atari yet. Its using a PI3 running mt32-pi to handle all the MIDI stuff.

51189840733_53a5cbaa48_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭ Burzum

Anyone recommend a site to buy rgb mod kits for famicom, twin famicon and pc engine thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,743 ✭✭✭✭ o1s1n

Burzum wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a site to buy rgb mod kits for famicom, twin famicon and pc engine thanks.

Well here's an easy solution for your PC Engine, just buy one of these RGB cables that taps it from the back. I've been using one for years and it works great.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174768420385?hash=item28b1027621:g:UtQAAOxyaRZR2X4C

• Advertisement

I bought a NESRGB from oldskoolconsoles.com, but it was a few months before Brexit made ordering from the UK annoying from a tax pov.

That kit works on the Famicom and Twin Famicom, there's a dropdown to select which type so the right extra pieces like adapter boards and power board replacements are included.

Nice one ty shall gander and order

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭ KeRbDoG

I bought a NESRGB from oldskoolconsoles.com, but it was a few months before Brexit made ordering from the UK annoying from a tax pov.

That kit works on the Famicom and Twin Famicom, there's a dropdown to select which type so the right extra pieces like adapter boards and power board replacements are included.
    +1 for oldskoolconsoles.com - but yea, now there be some chance of import tax fun.

Mod In France is another authorised reseller of the NESRGB for the Famis/NES units but in the EU so avoiding that tax risk.

God damn it! One of my CPS1 A boards is on the fritz.

Was playing Mercs and noticed that when you used a Mega Crush, rather than the screen going white, it would momentarily show a slightly different coloured palette.

There's also a black feint flicker going through the image. It looks like the type of interference you get when you have two CRTs on together, doesn't go away with the cab next to it is switched off and it doesn't impact any other games.

Fairly certain it's just a cap gone out of spec.

I see that lad I bought a cap kit for one of my monitor chassis years back has a cap kit for these, only 12 caps!

https://console5.com/store/capcom-cps1-a-board-cap-kit-a-pcb-cps-1.html

I think sometime soon I'm going to take all of my PCBs down out of the attic, figure out which ones I genuinely want and flog the rest on AO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭ Gradius

o1s1n wrote: »
    I think sometime soon I'm going to take all of my PCBs down out of the attic, figure out which ones I genuinely want and flog the rest to Gradius.

Good idea!

• Advertisement

Gradius wrote: »
    Good idea!

I think the main delay so far has been the fear in powering them up again :eek:

Every time I bring one down, something seems to go bad... going to start with Turtles in Time and Game Tengoku as I don't want either of them anymore and they're worth a few quid. Will have to say my prayers to the gods of capacitors and aging ROMs..!

/Edit - I missed that cheeky post edit :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭ Gradius

Touch wood, but I haven't had many failures on pcb's. A 1942 went a bit wonky and a salamander board (that got repaired). Nothing major, just a few graphical glitches.

But yeah, it's that hairy feeling turning them on after a long time.

Ciderman generously donated a Sinclair Spectrum+ to my collection :D

Before cleaning;
    554819.jpg
    After cleaning;
    554818.jpg

Some new parts to get it back working again, issue4 board with it was missing its ROM so will pop in an earlier 48k board for now and the keyboard membrane itself needs replacement along with that Spectrum rainbow badge. Should have those next week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 33,896 CMod ✭✭✭✭ CiDeRmAn

[grumble] That's great [/grumble]

Any one any hints tips or tricks into how to calibrate the disk drive for twin fami, just replaced the belt but no luck

With the FDS drive, what I found was that just some disks won't read no matter how much calibration you do. Always test with a range of disks - that would be my only advice apart from watching the many calibration videos the YouTubes

Yeah that's the video I have been looking at, will keep at it :)

Apologies if not right place but would anyone know where I could get some Saturn games resurfaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭ Doge

557177.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭ MrVestek

Apologies if not right place but would anyone know where I could get some Saturn games resurfaced?

Pretty much anywhere that will resurface regular CDs.

Maybe CeX or the likes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭ Doge

Doge wrote: »
    557177.jpg

Meant to post this one in CRT madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭ Jack burton

Ollie has a video on YouTube of him resurfacing discs

https://youtu.be/txrJqdFUiH4

Someone on adverts reached out and going to be using them, 5 euro a disc.

Does anyone here know who I can reach out to, to maybe work on a crt monitor, I have never tried working on/repairing one and am a little wary of trying incase I mess up and ruin the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭ MrVestek

Does anyone here know who I can reach out to, to maybe work on a crt monitor, I have never tried working on/repairing one and am a little wary of trying incase I mess up and ruin the thing.

Yeah you really don't want to mess with a CRT if you don't know what you're doing... you could literally kill yourself.

I think the folks here used to send chassis and monitors over to the UK but that's probably cost prohibitive now with all the Brexit and customs stuff.

I will power it on and hope for the best. If it works thats great if not will figure something out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,649 ✭✭✭ eddhorse

Yeah ive sent a few to Grant aka Gunblade on UKVAC forums.

Not sure on Brexit costs now for shipping etc but it was around €100 to fix

eddhorse wrote: »
    Yeah ive sent a few to Grant aka Gunblade on UKVAC forums.

Not sure on Brexit costs now for shipping etc but it was around €100 to fix

Ah nice one, will check him out, see if its possible to send it over.

I think it was here that this crowd were mentioned too https://www.psra.ie/monitors/crt-monitors/

I've got it bookmarked for those "just in case" events.

• Advertisement

I think it was here that this crowd were mentioned too https://www.psra.ie/monitors/crt-monitors/

I've got it bookmarked for those "just in case" events.

Oh that is handy, will reach out to these and see what the story is, be good if could drop it off and collect it instead of posting.
    Appreciate all the fast info lads.

Advertisement