Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off Site WW / Mafia Games Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Practice game over. Really enjoyed it but I couldn't call the last wolf. I saw scenarios where they are all wolves in the final 4.

To those who watched, how'd I do.... what can I improve upon

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Necro wrote: »
    Just for all that might be interested in following it, beaker's world championships game has been scheduled for June 7th

Will be setting up a server on discord where we can support beaker in private without influencing the game, there's also the main MU server which has a spectators chat for all communities to mix and discuss the ongoing games.

If anyone wants the link give me a holler!!!

Can you send me the invite when it is set up please?

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Practice game over. Really enjoyed it but I couldn't call the last wolf. I saw scenarios where they are all wolves in the final 4.

To those who watched, how'd I do.... what can I improve upon

I finished reading the game last night. I thought you could have been the wolf... And then you were killed :D

cee_jay wrote: »
    I finished reading the game last night. I thought you could have been the wolf... And then you were killed :D

I think Lootz (the final wolf) should have kept me alive, I was so unsure who teh last wolf was. I could see so many scenarios where anyone of the other 4 were wolves and I couldnt choose. I wasnt sure at all and kept changing my mind. Paranoia got me good with no seer.

I think Lootz (the final wolf) should have kept me alive, I was so unsure who teh last wolf was. I could see so many scenarios where anyone of the other 4 were wolves and I couldnt choose. I wasnt sure at all and kept changing my mind. Paranoia got me good with no seer.

Yeah, and I think Ducky was beginning to wonder if you were wolf too because of your voting record. I would have kept you alive for that reason.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I was between MK and Lootz for the last wolf. There was a post that Lootz made on Day 4 I think that basically gave away their own wolf meta, I only noticed it because I had picked up on it earlier and was sort of tunnelling them anyways lol.

Basically they left BlueKang out of their PoE list completely and then on Day 4 (I might have to check the actual day) they stated that as a wolf they always deliberately leave a wolf buddy out of their reads/PoE lists. That locked me onto them, because I don't think even they realised they made that slip up.

I was on MK because of their shocking voting record, counter wagon to scrawl night 1 and then BlueKang votes them Day 2, I'd have lynched both of them before probably anyone else I think. I did have a bit of suss about you but BlueKang's wolf spew did have you pretty clear, they were right about that tbf.

I think it's difficult going to a new place and to immediately pick up both the lingo and how they do things so you did very well, being on the winning team in your first game is a big bonus and some nice experience of the format to boot!

As an aside the motion detector role is the most useless, anti-town role I've ever seen and it seems they absolutely love it over there. The player with it outed two roles this time, if ye had not have hit a wolf that lynch it probably would have put ye in a very bad place.

Necro wrote: »
    I was between MK and Lootz for the last wolf. There was a post that Lootz made on Day 4 I think that basically gave away their own wolf meta, I only noticed it because I had picked up on it earlier and was sort of tunnelling them anyways lol.

Basically they left BlueKang out of their PoE list completely and then on Day 4 (I might have to check the actual day) they stated that as a wolf they always deliberately leave a wolf buddy out of their reads/PoE lists. That locked me onto them, because I don't think even they realised they made that slip up.

I was on MK because of their shocking voting record, counter wagon to scrawl night 1 and then BlueKang votes them Day 2, I'd have lynched both of them before probably anyone else I think. I did have a bit of suss about you but BlueKang's wolf spew did have you pretty clear, they were right about that tbf.

I think it's difficult going to a new place and to immediately pick up both the lingo and how they do things so you did very well, being on the winning team in your first game is a big bonus and some nice experience of the format to boot!

As an aside the motion detector role is the most useless, anti-town role I've ever seen and it seems they absolutely love it over there. The player with it outed two roles this time, if ye had not have hit a wolf that lynch it probably would have put ye in a very bad place.

After I stopped tunneling Ducky, I was looking at MK the post. The voting pattern really bugged me, esp the late vote on BK.

Didnt appreciate their self vote nonsense though. I was open to being swayed but the way they went about things did nothing to convince me they were town.

MU Champions Game 4 is kicking off.

Wish me luck.... hope you guys like the Bio

https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/threads/?p=4940438#post4940438

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

You just linked to the hells kitchen game? And where were you for the Eurodance party BJ we missed you :D

ShaneU wrote: »
    You just linked to the hells kitchen game? And where were you for the Eurodance party BJ we missed you :D

Doh, amended. Cheers ShaneU

• Advertisement

ShaneU wrote: »

Family fun got the better of me.... I shall throw my thoughts on it shortly.

I did notice Necro wasnt impressed with EuroDance Freddie Mercury.... tut tut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Neowise

can't wait, but the lack of backups somewhat surprises me. only 3 slots have a backup.

god luck beaker. hope you win it. will be following you and cheering you all the way. you can count on that!

just read your bio.. god..... not sure i'm getting what you are selling.

following the game a will very much enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭duffman13

Can someone PM the discord link for BJs game?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

duffman13 wrote:
    Can someone PM the discord link for BJs game?

Just finishing work and will do so, sorry I've been slacking the last week, been busy offline :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭duffman13

Yo BJ

Any news for us!? Great work

Congrats breaker, very well played.

Excellent game beaker! You had me fooled!

Brilliant stuff beaker, I think duffers has sent a PM to you with the server link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Nice job BJ you Mafia scumbag!

Loved it loved it loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Ah, wanted to check in but missed it all. Tell all...! :)

Well I was a wolf and our wolf team somehow got townread by almost all other players and we sailed through.

All 3 wolves survived and won without a single vote against them at the end of each day.

Got I use a lot of MU lingo now. Like when I go away and pick up an accent.

A lot of hard work but we had loads of luck too

Well I was a wolf and our wolf team somehow got townread by almost all other players and we sailed through.

All 3 wolves survived and won without a single vote against them at the end of each day.

Got I use a lot of MU lingo now. Like when I go away and pick up an accent.

A lot of hard work but we had loads of luck too
    Ha ha, brilliant, well played :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Well done beaker

Ok, Ive had time to recover and reflect.

If anyone is going to the Champs next year, i cant recommend the practice game enough. It really helped me get to grips with the site and how other players may/may not play. I went into the practice with the hopes of playing my usual style and taking it easy early on, but it quickly became apparent that it was frowned upon. But I used it as a warm up and it helped loads in terms of using site features and picking up the terminology. It was intense and grueling to a point and its really hard with no seer as a village player.

The actual game I randed wolf and was so happy to have a team to not only keep me from the loneliness of being town, but also to help me strategize.

My teammates Pilica nd Nyth were uber nice, very welcoming and friendly and we all agreed to at least enjoy ourselves which made it so much more fun. I took the game serious to a degree, mainly because I wanted to do Board Forum Games proud, but I just happy to take part too.

We all agreed to play it straight and pretend we didnt know eachother were wolves. We pulled eachother up on anything we felt was natural and werent afraid to shade eachother. I felt to appear village, I had to put myself in town shoes and suspect everyone. It seemed to work as most peopel had me and Nyth, and to a lesser degree Pilica in their good piles.

First day I had it in my head to jump all over anyones game reads and attack those who appeared weak. Game reads can be difficult on day 1 as it is, so I knew someone somewhere would throw a lazy read out there. Savvy, Relm and Mittens obliged , Mittens being a player who provided one close to end of day 1 and I had to attack. It worked and they got lynched and the counter wagon was fairly high too with lots of late switching which made it easy to attack players day 2.

Gomes and Dino being the wagons day 2 played into our hands and I knew we could get a misfire from teh vig when either one of teh wagons flipped green.

We by luck took the bodyguard and motion detector out which helped us a lot and with a lot of village players being low posters, we had things fall just right

I knew Day 3 I could shade Spiderz, an obvious village player. They flip floped like an unsure village player who didnt know who to trust and we used it against them. Their vote switching could easily be made look bad, esp when we only killed village players in lynches. I lucked out again with his absence that day, and that absence fueled my theory.

I knew by day 4 I could get a pile on of folks , we only needed 2 extra votes to get a majority and I knew we could sway at least two that Spiderz was bad.

And we got the clean sweep. Im not a good player IMO and I got a lot of luck coupled with 2 great team members, but I feel I played my best game ever. Everything just worked out by chance.

Im pretty burnt out now though but i hope I did enough to reach the Semi Finals.

LOVE LOVE LOVE all the support in the discord thread. You guys are the bestest.

Any advice or critic is all welcome.

Sounds like it all went according to plan :D
    ...i hope I did enough to reach the Semi Finals
    How's that decided?
    (sorry, should have followed along, then I'd know all of this, but I've been crazy busy recently)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

If its like years gone by there is a jury of former winners who pick who goes through.

edit: sorry there is also a vote by those who played in the game to see who goes through

• Advertisement

It's a little different this year, the players vote for their top 4 and the top 2 go through to the semis, this happens in all of the games.

Then the judges (last year's finalists) select a number of wildcards from the games to make up the rest.

Advertisement