Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making up for 10 Lost Years

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ClydeTallyBump

3. Esio Trot by Roald Dahl.

4. Small Gods by Terry Pratchett.

5. A Beautiful Poison by Lydia Kang.

6. The Conjurer by Luanne G. Smith.

7. Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982 by Cho Nam-Ju.

I couldn't put this down. I had no idea Korea ranked so lowly for gender equality.

8. Columbine by Dave Cullen.

9. Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro.

I loved this book. I couldn't put it down. It is set in a dystopian world where children have 'AFs', artificial friends and where society is more inequitable than today.

• Advertisement

10. Exciting Times by Naoise Dolan.

Honestly, not an exciting read at all.

11. Jew (ish) by Matt Greene.

An interesting read on what it means to be Jewish.

12. The Last Girl by Nadia Murad.

Harrowing.

13. My Friend Anna: The True Story of a Fake Heiress by Rachel DeLoache Williams.

14. The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman.

15. The Midnight Library by Matt Haig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,696 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

you could give wheel of time a spin. think there's about 13 (pretty chunky) books in it.

fantasy like LOTR, but moreso

you could give wheel of time a spin. think there's about 13 (pretty chunky) books in it.

fantasy like LOTR, but moreso

Cool, thanks for the recommendation! Will definitely give them a look!

16. Hamnet by Maggie O'Farrell.

17. Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Murata.

Very quirky!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

A lot of Genocide & Childrens books on these lists so not sure who is reading this & if mine is appropriate :

I’m reading ‘Devils Knot’ by Mara Leveritt. I’d seen a documentary on the subject a few years back but the book is just spine chilling.

Its a journalist writing about her/his (Mara!?) investigating of the arrest, subsequent investigation or lack thereof and trial of 3 teenagers - some with solid alibis - for the murder of 3 other little boys in a dirt poor part of West Memphis where most of the people had little education, less employment, and righteous commitment to the Church . A $35,000 reward was offered for any information leading to arrests and the police and local juvenile officer put out a rumour there was witchcraft involved...

True story and bone chilling. I’m going to need another kilo of chocolate or bucket of valium to try and get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭bamayang

You're burning through them! I really enjoyed Educated, crazy story. There are questions about the truthfulness of it, but for the sake of the read I just assumed it was all true.

18. The Aquariums of Pyongyang by Kang Chol-hwan.

A lot of Genocide & Childrens books on these lists so not sure who is reading this & if mine is appropriate :

I’m reading ‘Devils Knot’ by Mara Leveritt. I’d seen a documentary on the subject a few years back but the book is just spine chilling.

Its a journalist writing about her/his (Mara!?) investigating of the arrest, subsequent investigation or lack thereof and trial of 3 teenagers - some with solid alibis - for the murder of 3 other little boys in a dirt poor part of West Memphis where most of the people had little education, less employment, and righteous commitment to the Church . A $35,000 reward was offered for any information leading to arrests and the police and local juvenile officer put out a rumour there was witchcraft involved...

True story and bone chilling. I’m going to need another kilo of chocolate or bucket of valium to try and get over it.

'Devils Knot' sounds interesting. I must add it to my list. I read about this story a few years ago and I did query the role of some of the parents in the murders.

bamayang wrote: »
    You're burning through them! I really enjoyed Educated, crazy story. There are questions about the truthfulness of it, but for the sake of the read I just assumed it was all true.

I am very determined to try read as much as possible. I really feel I missed out over the last few years where I put work first.

I was questioning the veracity of parts of it while reading it. Though, if even half of it is true, it is still crazy! I'm around the same age as the woman so it was mindboggling for me to think her life was like that as a child and teenager in the same era as me.

19. The Pear Field by Nana Ekvtimishvili.

• Advertisement

20. The Darkest Flower by Kristin Wright.

Fairly predictable.

21. Call Me By Your Name by Andre Aciman.

It was a hard slog to get through the first 2 parts.

22. Ms Ice Sandwich by Mieko Kawakami.

23. Circe by Madeline Miller.

24. Hidden Valley Road by Robert Kolker.

An interesting look at the Galvin family where there were 10 boys, 6 of which developed schizophrenia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

24. Hidden Valley Road by Robert Kolker.

An interesting look at the Galvin family where there were 10 boys, 6 of which developed schizophrenia.

That seems interesting although strange
    Ive just finished a re-read from 40 odd years ago Valley of the Squinting and on a more modern topic Saving Capitalism- for the many not the few by Clinton's Labour Secretary Robert Reich.
    When Im in full swing I read one a day or at least one per two days - never bored

PMBC wrote: »
    That seems interesting although strange
    Ive just finished a re-read from 40 odd years ago Valley of the Squinting and on a more modern topic Saving Capitalism- for the many not the few by Clinton's Labour Secretary Robert Reich.
    When Im in full swing I read one a day or at least one per two days - never bored

One a day is very impressive!

I have never heard of Valley of the Squinting. I must look it up.

25. Nowhere to be Found by Bae Suah.

A Korean novella depicting poverty, suffering, existentialism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

Apologies - The valley of the squinting windows. Its based around Delvin in Westmeath and that caused a lot of issues at the time.
    From the Irish canon also but a totally different style is anything by Flann O'Brien - At Swim Two Birds, The Dalkey Archive and perhaps the funniest The Third Policeman.
    From USA 'A confederacy of Dunces' will keep you laughing. Sorry for going on ..

• Advertisement

PMBC wrote: »
    Apologies - The valley of the squinting windows. Its based around Delvin in Westmeath and that caused a lot of issues at the time.
    From the Irish canon also but a totally different style is anything by Flann O'Brien - At Swim Two Birds, The Dalkey Archive and perhaps the funniest The Third Policeman.
    From USA 'A confederacy of Dunces' will keep you laughing. Sorry for going on ..

Some great recommendations there. Thank you! I'm intrigued by 'Valley of the Squinting Windows'. Going to try get a copy in Chapters.

Advertisement