Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Comreg Siteviewer accurate?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭grimeire

Wow. 5G prepared!
    And have you 5G add-on enabled on your SIM? Wonder how that works
    I should of probably added that i got a 5G phone just to test the reception before i splashed out on the 5G router.

Being honest 5G is not all that it is made out to be. The speeds I am getting are pretty much that same as on 4G unless i am in the city center. There was times i had 5G and it was less than 5MB DL. It may be that they did not fully upgrade the cells yet to handle 5G properly.

Also something worthwhile noting is technically there is 2 types of 5G NSA and SA. Three use NSA which basically means it is working in conjunction with 4G and using the same cells. For this reason you wont see any NR/5G Three cells on cell mapper as they will show as 4G. Since 5G is still using the same infrastructure with 3 it is still being affected by congestion.

Being honest with you using my old router and my old antenna and pointing it to the same tower as my new setup i get pretty much the same speeds. The 5G on the antenna also seems a gimmick as the speeds i get with the old and new antenna are pretty much the exact same on the new router. Advice here is dont waste your time and money upgrading as you wont get much of a bump in speeds. Main reason i got the new router is that it support a tonne more bands than the old one which i though would allow me to have better options of bands but the bands in my area are pretty limited and all give low speeds.

Someone mentioned Three potentially does 5G over B1 and it was your town IIRC.

That is correct from what i can see anytime i am connected to 5G i am on band one but have not been connected that often.

Edit: eNB ID 3081 in particular was mentioned
    Also, switch celmapper to NR! - your pin-point location has tracks left there, as well as 3081 area, but no masts marked. You might have 5G available :eek:

looks like i also contributed to 3081 also. :o

5G is available in my area but the trees and as it uses 4G means i am still being hit heavily affected by congestion I dont really see any difference in speeds between the 2 in my area.

Below is a speedtest i took a few weeks ago while on 5G with my phone in cork city. 750+ i wish i got that at my place. The lockdown probably contributed to me getting those speeds as well since the city center was deserted.

BAIIyoy.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Yeah, to good to be true...

Dont think antenna is gimmick, just that it covers up to 3800 MHz... when/if it will be in use for 5G
    Once you on B1/4G+ it works on same frequency as your older does hence similar results.

For whatever reason there is no data on Cellmapper from when you got that 750. And i believe this up to Cellmapper to display NR masts, at least for visual effect, even if it is NSA they still have all metrics. Now it looks just orphaned. "Coming soon" perhaps.

Have you tried LTE H-monitor, it has ability to force router into band as well as network mode if router have no option in the GUI.

552723.PNG

Any way it is matter of time when ISP's will expand enough to cover wider areas with 5G and you already have gear for it. Just get that chainsaw oiled up :D

Yeah, to good to be true...

Dont think antenna is gimmick, just that it covers up to 3800 MHz... when/if it will be in use for 5G
    Once you on B1/4G+ it works on same frequency as your older does hence similar results.

We dont know will 3 ever use the 3800mhz frequency they may just use band1 and NSA.

For whatever reason there is no data on Cellmapper from when you got that 750. And i believe this up to Cellmapper to display NR masts, at least for visual effect, even if it is NSA they still have all metrics. Now it looks just orphaned. "Coming soon" perhaps.

On my phone I am on 5G most of the time even get it sometimes in my house and cell mapper is running also on it most of the time. There should be a tonne more NR points from me on cellmapper but there is very little in comparison to what should be there. I am not sure what is required for a point to show under NR/5G but its definitely not just connected to 5G as there would be tonnes more from me if that was the case.

Have you tried LTE H-monitor, it has ability to force router into band as well as network mode if router have no option in the GUI.

Any way it is matter of time when ISP's will expand enough to cover wider areas with 5G and you already have gear for it. Just get that chainsaw oiled up :D

I had never tired it but just did there as HuaCtrl does not allow me to select 5G. Brilliant that it runs in Linux too, saves me having to spin up a windows VM and it works with xterm. The router does not connected to a cell if i force 5G or 5G+4G or 4G+5G. I selected band1 as upload band so hopefully that may force it to stay on 3736. Huacrtl does not allow you select the upload band so i could get lucky there. I dont get any 5g stats when connected to 3737 so if i was able to force 5G it would probably keep me connected to 3736 since that does give me 5G stats

H2AUQlc.png

Now to work on rooting a phone so i can identify where 3737 is.

:D Look at your own screenshot.
    According "Network" section you are connected to 5G and pay attention to frequency - UL/DL 5G: 3750.0MHz (band n77)
    Wonder what would happen if you force that for UL

5G_NR_frequency_bands
    Note that the NR bands are defined with prefix of "n". When the NR band is overlapping with the 4G LTE band, they share the same band number.

:D Look at your own screenshot.
    According "Network" section you are connected to 5G and pay attention to frequency - UL/DL 5G: 3750.0MHz (band n77)
    Wonder what would happen if you force that for UL

5G_NR_frequency_bands

I think you miss understood me. So yes i can connect via 5G but never get 5G speeds if you know what i mean. When i have 5G on the phone it just shows that i am connected on 4G band 1 and if i check the cell ID on cellmapper the cell id is a 4G cell. even with my old antenna i was connecting to 5G on the same cell so I am not sure does the antenna make much if any of a difference as i dont think it is actually connecting on 3700+mhz. The only places i got 5G speeds was in the city center.

There is no difference in speed between this router and my old one even though this one uses 5G. This is the point i was trying to make when i said "Being honest 5G is not all that it is made out to be. The speeds I am getting are pretty much that same as on 4G"

Even if i stand next to the 5G cell with my phone i still dont get much over 100Mb and i was getting that when i was on 4G. This is a very busy tower so that may be why i was getting such high speeds in the city center as the place was dead.

Lte H monitor does not let me choose any 5G bands only allows me choose 4G bands and if i choose most of them the router is unable to connect as i assume there are no cells broadcasting on those bands.

IdKPR0j.png

• Advertisement

I see...

Looked up 3737 again. Max DL on cell40 is quite 5G range.
    552783.PNG

Same time 3736 cell30 states similar. I believe this is your current cell on router. Obviously these were read on the phone and at better location.
    Congestion? Sure, its serious factor, but test it @5-6AM, unless whole estate is running torrents overnight.
    Guess falling back to trees obstructing the path or other interference as distance is nothing here.

552786.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

grimeire wrote: »
    I think you miss understood me. So yes i can connect via 5G but never get 5G speeds if you know what i mean. When i have 5G on the phone it just shows that i am connected on 4G band 1 and if i check the cell ID on cellmapper the cell id is a 4G cell. even with my old antenna i was connecting to 5G on the same cell so I am not sure does the antenna make much if any of a difference as i dont think it is actually connecting on 3700+mhz. The only places i got 5G speeds was in the city center.

This is expected.

NSA 5G is like 4G+ being 4G + 4G. Instead you link 4G + 5G bearers simultaneously. So if your phone is reporting a 4G band but but 5G on the status bar its not contradicting itself. Both are up.

What speeds are you getting right now?

I see...

Looked up 3737 again. Max DL on cell40 is quite 5G range.

Same time 3736 cell30 states similar. I believe this is your current cell on router. Obviously these were read on the phone and at better location.
    Congestion? Sure, its serious factor, but test it @5-6AM, unless whole estate is running torrents overnight.
    Guess falling back to trees obstructing the path or other interference as distance is nothing here.

I would take those speeds with a pinch of salt as during my testing i found there were either way higher or way lower than what I was actually getting.

I was on cell 956496 the other day which cellmapper reports as 5Mb/5Mb but i was getting over 20Mb download on it.

ED E wrote: »
    This is expected.

NSA 5G is like 4G+ being 4G + 4G. Instead you link 4G + 5G bearers simultaneously. So if your phone is reporting a 4G band but but 5G on the status bar its not contradicting itself. Both are up.

What speeds are you getting right now?

Ah that makes more sense.

Just did a speed test there and getting 46Mb DL and 0.29Mb on 5G at the moment on enb 3736 which is the lowest i have seen in awhile from that cell and tower. One thing i noticed is that the upload speeds have gone to s**t in my area. I was easily getting 20-30Mb up before.

QcoQGEf.png

P.S thanks for the suggestion of Network Signal Guru i rooted my phone and it works like a dream hopefully will get some time to do some mapping in the next few days.

Any progress there?

Three going through a lot of changes in my area - new cell ID's popping like mushrooms after rain. Router start getting confused to what cell to connect more often. Inconvenience....

Any progress there?

Three going through a lot of changes in my area - new cell ID's popping like mushrooms after rain. Router start getting confused to what cell to connect more often. Inconvenience....

Im am after doing a tonne of loops around and 3737 has barely moved. I believe it is on the same tower as 3736 or 398. From what i can see i only ever pick up 3737 on a small stretch of road outside my house. Not sure is it going to be possible to correlate exactly where it is since i can only detect it on a small stretch.

• Advertisement

Im am after doing a tonne of loops around and 3737 has barely moved. I believe it is on the same tower as 3736 or 398. From what i can see i only ever pick up 3737 on a small stretch of road outside my house. Not sure is it going to be possible to correlate exactly where it is since i can only detect it on a small stretch.
    Cant speak for sure, but feels like i am facing similar situations as i had back in Jan. Brand new cell ID start appearing out of blue and its again on B1. ID number does not correspond to any local masts.
    Not able to catch it on the phone yet... well, few days ago i had to reinstall fresh the app and lost ~30K points of data - got failing to upload for whatever reason. It could have be in there, so have to do another spin at some point.
    Perhaps your 3737 similarly far away(~10km) and god know what direction.

Have you got chance to check that app ED E suggested?

Have you got chance to check that app ED E suggested?

The one that requires a root to force a band? If so yes but as there is a few other cells in my area on band 1 it has not made much of a difference as i barely ever see that cell. I think that app is only good to stay on a band to maximise speed by forcing band on the phone and not much good for cell mapping as you will detect all the cells on the ENB if you detect to any cell on it. If your phone does not detect the cell its not much good as the phone cant be forced to connect to the cell/band.

I dont think 3737 is far away as it is showing as in the same location 3736 and 398 were until they finally moved to their correct location and also there is a bit of a dip in the road where i can connecting to it so it makes sense that it could not be too far away as i doubt any other cells could reach that dip in the road.

Weird thing is if i drive next to 3736 and 398 i can pick them up but dont pick up 3737 so its a mystery. I cant drive in front of the towers due to where they are located in the commercial estate so that may be why i cant connect to it there as the cell targets a very narrow area.

Weird thing is if i drive next to 3736 and 398 i can pick them up but dont pick up 3737 so its a mystery. I cant drive in front of the towers due to where they are located in the commercial estate so that may be why i cant connect to it there as the cell targets a very narrow area.
    Well... on other hand, if that cell is not in this location and signal breaking its way through narrow, less obstructed path...

It took me to spin ~10Km radius to avail to pinpoint cell i discovered in Jan. and it actually was quite opposite direction than it appeared for first few days.
    Basically, if cell not moving while you drive same routes - drive new routes instead :D

Well... on other hand, if that cell is not in this location and signal breaking its way through narrow, less obstructed path...

It took me to spin ~10Km radius to avail to pinpoint cell i discovered in Jan. and it actually was quite opposite direction than it appeared for first few days.
    Basically, if cell not moving while you drive same routes - drive new routes instead :D

I find it unlikely the cell could be on another tower due to the area i see my phone connected to it being in valley. There would be too much obstructions for the cell to be on any other tower. I dont think there is much more roads i could go down unless i drive around a few housing estates.

The 3737 cell is nightmare im connected to it more often than not now with <20Mb speeds.

I think CMs current guestimate is probably close to right in that its one of the existing sites.

PS: What the hell, how did they build a pylon in the gardens like this? [Imgur](https://imgur.com/ulN0H8v) Never seen them THAT awkwardly placed.

Per Siteviewer: VF: Two "sites". MMC: Two "sites", 3: Three "sites".

Three:

Services

NR

As a site with 5G you'd hope for decent capacity. Any chance you own a DSLR/Mirrorless with a long lens Grim? Maps imagery is from 2011.

398:

First SeenSun, Apr 21, 2019

Last SeenSun, Oct 11, 2020

Needs deletion.

New state: 3736 is moved onto the actual site (about 20m east), 3737 co-located. 398 Deleted.

1098: Solid fix on the supervalu. Set.

4855/56 should be two tiers on the same site. Not clear on where they are.

@ED E Thanks for checking this i forgot all about it.

pylon in the gardens. WTF my mate was building a house and it was within 100 meters or something from a pylon and he had to pay to have it moved. How the heck is it in that persons garden. Do you have the GPS location or a better image on a map of that cause i need to see that for myself?

I dont even know what a DSLR/Mirrorless is but i assume its a camera.😶

In the commercial park where 3737 and 3736 are there is actually 2 different towers. there is the one the ENBs are showing on and another about 20 meters away. I have seen these towers with my own two eyes. You can probably ask the people in that commercial park do they know me as i was often just parked up or driving around in there for hours trying to connect to the cells.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Zl9oubg.png[/img]

I see you moved the cell 3737 is there a reason why it did not auto move and how did you know it was there. As you can probably see i have driven all over that area endless times and it was still showing in the totally wrong place.

Pylon: https://goo.gl/maps/BKbEbAeFJ8STaRNz9

I dont even know what a DSLR/Mirrorless is but i assume its a camera.

Yep, just big cameras.

In the commercial park where 3737 and 3736 are there is actually 2 different towers. there is the one the ENBs are showing on and another about 20 meters away. I have seen these towers with my own two eyes. You can probably ask the people in that commercial park do they know me as i was often just parked up or driving around in there for hours trying to connect to the cells.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Zl9oubg.png[/img]

I see you moved the cell 3737 is there a reason why it did not auto move and how did you know it was there. As you can probably see i have driven all over that area endless times and it was still showing in the totally wrong place.

That situation is a bit of a guess. Unfortunately from some other mapping done recently it looks like COMREG are being very very tardy in updating SiteViewer so we can't really be sure whats what when referring to it.

The different MNOs use different schemes but with Three two sequential IDs seems to represent co-located nodes.

3736 - 1,2,20,28

3737 - 1

So in this instance its added band one (IMT) on a second tier. Band 1 is 2100Mhz so middle of the pack for speed/range. 15Mhz blocks it seems which is decent.

To be clear - both eNBs could be on the eastern or western tower, but they're likely on the same one. Siteviewer hints historically they were using the eastern one so I selected that.

Advertisement