Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*Gas* BBQ/Grilling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

wassie wrote: »
    Just picked up one myself. If you are thinking about it you may want to grab one as stocks are low across the country. Sahara are selling these direct from their website for €435.00 (inc shipping) and not available until mid May. Materials were well packed, no damage and instructions are very clear to follow.

You would be hard pressed to get something at that price point (€350 @Woodies) with similar quality & features. For me it was decent quality materials (incl grilling plates that also works with the Sahara accessories), gas bottle storage & grease drip tray. I also like that it fits their accessories, like the griddle pan. No rotisserie option and side burner, but I have no use for these myself. I have a preference for timber also, but others may be put off by this.

Got it this morning. There was one left in woodies Galway (wellpark) none in the other woodies. In case anyone in Galway is looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Rotisserie chicken tonight

And end result

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Are the smoker box things worth buying? Just looking at it there in woodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Tilikum17 wrote: »

Yep. Do it. Can make a big difference.

• Advertisement

Tilikum17 wrote: »

I have one box and use it frequently. I think it makes a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭daddy_boy

Hi not sure if this is the right place but i am trying to source a replacement regulator for my weber q3000 ( https://www.ersatzteile-grill.de/Weber-Verteilereinheit-Q3000-65794 ) any pointers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've moved this to the Gas BBQ/Grilling thread. Is it the whole distribution unit you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭daddy_boy

oops sorry :) i just need the pipe that goes from the regulator to the burner, but i dont think that it is sold separately, the whole unit is for sale in the usa for approx 100ish usd plus 40 ish usd for shipping and then i will be hit for import duties

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭wassie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I too think that contacting them would be your best bet - it's worth a try anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I have one box and use it frequently. I think it makes a difference

Does it sit on top of the grill or underneath it?
    I bought one last week and am yet to use it - hoping to do some duck breasts this weekend with the smoker if I can figure it out!

cee_jay wrote: »
    Does it sit on top of the grill or underneath it?
    I bought one last week and am yet to use it - hoping to do some duck breasts this weekend with the smoker if I can figure it out!

As below!

IMG-20190715-193152.jpg

The Nal wrote: »
    As below!

IMG-20190715-193152.jpg
    Couldn’t focus on the box there. I usually put it on top of the grates

TBH I think I started it on top of the grates and once the wood was lit I moved it up. Nice kiss of smoke from it either way.

Also lighting 1 or 2 bits of charcoal and putting them on tinfoil and closing the lid works too for a touch of charcoal smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Just cooked 4 Aldi packs of wings. I reckon 80+. They covered the whole grill at one stage. Low and slow - about 40 minutes. Half of one got burnt.

Served with Franks, my BBQ sauce or just with rub.

Gutted I didn’t take a pic. I’ll have to do it again soon. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Just cooked 4 Aldi packs of wings. I reckon 80+.

You must've been hungry!

thejaguar wrote: »
    You must've been hungry!

We were. Very. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

On top of the grate - does it work well? Ive been putting mine below, wedged between the two flame covers.

On top of the grate - does it work well? Ive been putting mine below, wedged between the two flame covers.

I think it does the job, but it’s difficult to test, as the flavor (if any) is mild. I never have a smoke ring

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭beertons

We were. Very. :)

Tell me this now. What bbq have you got?

beertons wrote: »
    Tell me this now. What bbq have you got?

You sound like the Dad in The Commitments. :D

Home Store & More about 4 years ago. 3 burners. I brought it inside in the winter for the first time last year. Amazed it’s still going strong, I put it together. But it is. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I know it. Holds loads. I'd find it hard to get heads to eat that amount of chicken round here

I was mad for a new gas bbq last year, but it never happened. And the current one gave up completely. I have the Joe though, but it's a bit more hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

The Nal wrote: »
    TBH I think I started it on top of the grates and once the wood was lit I moved it up. Nice kiss of smoke from it either way.

Also lighting 1 or 2 bits of charcoal and putting them on tinfoil and closing the lid works too for a touch of charcoal smoke.

Nice idea on the charcoal.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

Currently assembling the 4 burner sahara. It's very sturdy. Rotisserie accessory being ordered later. And picked up pizza stones in lidl on Thursday so will try that soon too. Lastbbq was a homestore one, 4 or 5 years old now. Still working so we'll hold onto it for the big family bbqs.
    Interesting to read about butane vs propane. We have butane cylinders just cos the first one we ever got had a butane regulator, never knew there was a performance difference. Will sort out propane for the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Lads, hoping for a little advice. Looking to buy a largish gas BBQ & currently looking at the Omaha 5 Burner Gas Grill (€599) & Sahara 4 burner (€549) both in woodies. Would love to go for a webber but funds don't stretch that far.

Out of the two of them, which do you think is the better buy? I really like the Sahara one, but the Omaha one has the extra burner & seems like a sturdier piece of kit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

OU812 wrote: »
    Lads, hoping for a little advice. Looking to buy a largish gas BBQ & currently looking at the Omaha 5 Burner Gas Grill (€599) & Sahara 4 burner (€549) both in woodies. Would love to go for a webber but funds don't stretch that far.

Out of the two of them, which do you think is the better buy? I really like the Sahara one, but the Omaha one has the extra burner & seems like a sturdier piece of kit

We debated the same and went for the Sahara. Used it this evening and no complaints. The heat reached well into every corner and the extendable warming rack was very handy. The cooking space isn't as wide as the Omaha but it is deeper. And it's very sturdy, much higher quality that our old homestore one anyway. One good thing is that you can easily buy spare parts and accessories online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

Ok, I don't know if this is the correct place to post this, but it does seem pretty active, so I will try,
    Last summer, in a panic, I bought this cheap lump....
    https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3450901/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CGarden+and+DIY%7C14418702/c_2/3%7C19285823%7CBarbecues%7C14418875/c_3/4%7Ccat_14418875%7CGas+BBQs%7C14418882.htm
    urgh, I don't need telling that it was a bad idea, I would have been better off stockpiling toilet paper.

anyway, I did just about everything wrong, it said butane or propane, so I got a flogas butane cylinder from the local service station,

go to set it up, the regulator provided with the bbq was for propane,
    I probably should have switched the cylinder for a propane one,
    instead, I bought a new butane regulator from the same service station,

the bbq basically never worked, a puff of wind would put it out, even when alight it never actually got hot enough to cook anything, I am pretty sure I used it twice last summer, and the second time I brought everything inside to finish under the grill because I just got fed up with it.

So, this year, took it out, cleaned it up, decided to use it within the shed with the door open, just to stop the breeze putting it out,

doesn't appear to be the breeze putting it out, still wont stay alight.

did some troubleshooting, seemed that maybe it was a dud regulator.... shop I bought it from has a bit of a bad rep, so I thought, to give it one last chance before flinging it on the tip I would order a regulator from flogas to give it another go...

arrived today, attached.... will barely light let alone stay alight...

I am worried now that it may be something far simpler

did I pick up an empty or almost empty gas cylinder in the first place...

so I am trying to make sense of the markings on the bottle.

It has a metal disk around the neck of the bottle that has tare 13.9kg, Is this the empty weight of the cylinder?

It says 11.34kg on the side, is this how much gas fits in it?

I weighed it and it is 15.1kg....

as I said, I bought it last summer, barely used it, could someone confirm what weight it should be full or empty

given my guesswork there should be 1.2kg of gas in there, would that effect the flow rate coming out?

I am going to check if my neighbor has a gas cylinder I could try...

any other suggestions welcome, otherwise it will be going on the tip, the amount of time and money I have wasted on a cheap and cheerful bbq.....

never again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Tare is tare, that's the weight of the cylinder, the fill volume is 11.34kg, 25.24kg in total. Give it a good shake to see any liquid sloshing around. If can't hear it, empty. If there's a small amount left in it, it maybe still not enough to keep all burners lit. Low ambient temp doesn't help either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

neighbors gas cylinder works fine

must have picked up an empty one,

balls, a year back too so just have to swallow that, ah well, sausages for dinner

Advertisement