Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTH Download Speed Issue

Options
  • 25-03-2021 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all,

After installation of FTTH about 3.5 weeks back, I've switched from Eir due to expensive pricing, unnecessary TV package and 24 month contract. I've joined Pure Telecom, only issue is that my speeds are maxing out at 90 Mbps (wired to Fritzbox on both work and private laptops) despite being on a 1 Gbps offer, similar speeds experienced with Eir. Neighbours are getting ~160 Mbps in the estate. Pure Telecom are sending out a replacement router to try fix the problem but they suspect that the issue is on the network and may need to send an engineer. There has been two very long calls going through 5G/2.4G, ensuring cabling is correct, different devices and their download speed hardware and multiple resets.

Few questions:
    1. Any idea of the problem and what would standard download speeds should be, I assume neighbours are a good indication but is this still low at 160 Mbps?
    2. Wife was at home at time of installation but is this speed checked at time of install and if it isn't satisfactory, do they mention it to you at install? Can I go back and request this?
    3. I am coming to the end of my two week cooling off period with Pure Telecom, I assume the network is the problem here and not their hardware - the Fritzbox? If I do pass the 2 week period and am not able to avail of better speeds, does ones rights enable one to revert back to a potentially cheaper/less download offer? Their service has been very good and their broadband team appear to know what they're talking about.
    4. What does the engineer do when called out and have people had much success if they does come out? I am wasting a lot of time on this especially with the switch from Eir.
    5. Do I need to log this as a complaint to ensure it is closed out properly in a timely and tracked manner as all is over the phone to date?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

90Mb max across all devices?

Thats very very indicative of a 100Mb link. 100Mb should yield about 94-96Mb max consistently. This would point to a bad cable between the ONT and Fritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

raymikemc wrote: »
    2. Wife was at home at time of installation but is this speed checked at time of install and if it isn't satisfactory, do they mention it to you at install? Can I go back and request this?

Thanks in advance

when I had mine installed a few weeks ago, the installer took a picture of speed check, so presume it is standard that they keep this as proof of service upon install. I was there though and making sure a tidy install, also speed check on multiple devices ok. Best to ask Pure support what speed the installer recorded on installation report as presume it is recorded there.

You could also mention to Pure support that you consider cooling off period not yet started on basis that you have yet to receive full service, gives them time to fix it, you time to back out of contract if needed. If they agree, get it noted on your account if you need it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

ED E wrote: »
    90Mb max across all devices?

Thats very very indicative of a 100Mb link. 100Mb should yield about 94-96Mb max consistently. This would point to a bad cable between the ONT and Fritz.

Indeed or a computer/laptop with only a 100Mbps network adaptor. However I assume this was the first step of the troubleshooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 raymikemc

So I replaced unlabelled cable with cat 6 and no improvement, similarly the router was replaced but still looks to be capped at 100 Mbps. They admitted that the problem is either with the ONT box configuration (although unlikely) or the exchange. Technician/engineer coming out within the next 2 days to fix the problem, fingers crossed. Fairplay to Pure telecom, service is A1 and their team know what they're talking about on the phone. Hoping theres no issue with the Fritzbox in general as this is the only other problem I can think of. Also, personal laptop is capable of 1 Gbps. In total, 4 laptops, PS5 and 2 mobiles tested with all having a max speed of 95 Mbps either wired or wireless

This has thankfully been largely resolved. The issue was with the old BT Network Backhaul which was fixed by them in the background - either a hardware or software issue. Speed of ~750 Mbps currently being obtained but we're chasing for the other 150/200 Mbps. Still a significant improvement on 95 Mbps.

So I/OpenEir replaced modem/router, ONT box, cables. Then an OpenEir team came out to do a check and split the fibre to use the OpenEir backhaul and the other for the BT Network backhaul. The OpenEir had a download speed of ~950 Mbps while the BT Network had a download of ~95 Mbps. Therefore the hardware on my end and the fibre line were working perfectly and PureTelecom did the rest.

Lessons learnt:
    1. When technician replaces ONT box, they need to be registered with S/N to authorise and work. This can go wrong so be prepared if ONT box is being replaced for no internet. We needed to get a replacement and didn't have internet for just under 24 hours.
    2. From the time the technician/engineer come out, they have 5 days to fix the issue before you can contact Comreg. This to be fair, gave me a lot of power but PureTelecom were quite good to be fair to them. This was a rare/complex problem.
    3. There are two backhaul systems and the complaints department for any Telecom company are only reactive to complaints. Ensure when installed, that you are getting the speeds you're paying for through wired connection. If not, then log it immediately. On install, they only check to see if the internet works, not complete a speed test unless asked.
    4. Be prepared for the time it takes for taking the calls, letting the guys in, conducting tests remotely, running speed checks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 fastasfuk08

raymikemc wrote: »
    Hi all,

After installation of FTTH about 3.5 weeks back, I've switched from Eir due to expensive pricing, unnecessary TV package and 24 month contract. I've joined Pure Telecom, only issue is that my speeds are maxing out at 90 Mbps (wired to Fritzbox on both work and private laptops) despite being on a 1 Gbps offer, similar speeds experienced with Eir. Neighbours are getting ~160 Mbps in the estate. Pure Telecom are sending out a replacement router to try fix the problem but they suspect that the issue is on the network and may need to send an engineer. There has been two very long calls going through 5G/2.4G, ensuring cabling is correct, different devices and their download speed hardware and multiple resets.

Few questions:
    1. Any idea of the problem and what would standard download speeds should be, I assume neighbours are a good indication but is this still low at 160 Mbps?
    3. I am coming to the end of my two week cooling off period with Pure Telecom, I assume the network is the problem here and not their hardware - the Fritzbox? If I do pass the 2 week period and am not able to avail of better speeds, does ones rights enable one to revert back to a potentially cheaper/less download offer? Their service has been very good and their broadband team appear to know what they're talking about.
    4. What does the engineer do when called out and have people had much success if they does come out? I am wasting a lot of time on this especially with the switch from Eir.
    5. Do I need to log this as a complaint to ensure it is closed out properly in a timely and tracked manner as all is over the phone to date?

Thanks in advance

Just out of curiosity,do you have a 10/100 or a 1gigabit network card installed in your pc?

Just out of curiosity,do you have a 10/100 or a 1gigabit network card installed in your pc ??

I'm with pure telecom for the siro 1 gigabit fibre and my download speed is up around 937.032mb but my upload is topping out at a very low 103mb,i was told that with the siro fibre,your d/l and u/l should be around the same so i can't understand why i'm only getting 103mb u/l speed.will have to give them a call

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

I'm with pure telecom for the siro 1 gigabit fibre and my download speed is up around 937.032mb but my upload is topping out at a very low 103mb,i was told that with the siro fibre,your d/l and u/l should be around the same so i can't understand why i'm only getting 103mb u/l speed.will have to give them a call

SIRO isn't a symmetrical link, as far as I am aware, that sounds normal 100 down, 1000 up.

I would check your contracted rates with your provider which will be in the fine detail where both download and upload are defined. Upload from my experience is significantly lower. For me, max upload is between 20 - 100 Mbps and a normal upload of 5% of maximum, or a minimum of 1 Mbps. In reality it's between 5 - 10 Mbps and I don't upload very much so I'm lucky. But that's with my provider and on the OpenEir network

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

m99T wrote: »
    SIRO isn't a symmetrical link, as far as I am aware, that sounds normal 100 down, 1000 up.

I think you mean 1000 down and 100 up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

I think you mean 1000 down and 100 up :D

LOL, yes!

Advertisement