Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

tdf7187 wrote: »
    My abusive elderly mother is making my life a living hell. Suicidal thoughts today again.

gosh - sorry to hear that - are you ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

sporina wrote: »
    gosh - sorry to hear that - are you ok?

Ok today thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PrickSanchez

Hi all,

Reaching out to for some help in understanding. My partner is a long time sufferer of PTSB, anxiety and depression and the panic attacks are weekly and very intense (mostly due to covid, but legacy issues havent gone away). It's really to starting to get to me and i'm beginning my own therapy to cope this week.
    For those of you who do suffer from panic attacks, do you experience much anger? I'm subjected to tirades against my family, the world, the neighbours and the full rundown list of triggers. Cool down takes hours and recovery 2 days usually. She's back to therapy this week after much coaxing but my question is - and i understand everyone's experience is different - do any of you experience fury in your panic attacks and how much of it is genuine? I'm concerned that should she get a handle on the mental health issues, there's no recovering the relationship.

Apologies if there's anything triggering here for anyone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Anxiety actually came out as rage in me for many many years, I think it was a weird reaction to being vulnerable while in panic mode, mad at myself and lashing out. DBT helped me realise that so it's more manageable.. It's a tough place where you are, great idea to look after yourself, well done..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Anxiety actually came out as rage in me for many many years, I think it was a weird reaction to being vulnerable while in panic mode, mad at myself and lashing out. DBT helped me realise that so it's more manageable.. It's a tough place where you are, great idea to look after yourself, well done..

Agree, I've developed an awful short fused temper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Just a question for those of you who are doing online therapy (over the phone or on Zoom or whereever) have you found it as helpful or beneficial as in-person therapy?

I'm considering getting an online therapist-mainly because the lockdown seems never ending, and I've some issues that I feel need dealing with. And there's no hope of attending an in person therapist because of everything going on rn.

Any feedback is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PrickSanchez

Just a question for those of you who are doing online therapy (over the phone or on Zoom or whereever) have you found it as helpful or beneficial as in-person therapy?

I'm considering getting an online therapist-mainly because the lockdown seems never ending, and I've some issues that I feel need dealing with. And there's no hope of attending an in person therapist because of everything going on rn.

Any feedback is appreciated.

My partner did EMDR over zoom last year at it worked fine. Only issue was therapist was fully booked so oculdn;t keep the sessions going long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

Anyone know how Brintellix 10mg would relate to the severity of anxiety i.e. if you were severely anxious would it be 10 mg, 15 mg or 20 mg that would be prescribed.
    I appreciate that it is very difficult to say what is severe and what is mild for these illnesses.
    Thanks and wishing everyone good health and happy days in these trying times.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

PMBC wrote: »
    Anyone know how Brintellix 10mg would relate to the severity of anxiety i.e. if you were severely anxious would it be 10 mg, 15 mg or 20 mg that would be prescribed.
    I appreciate that it is very difficult to say what is severe and what is mild for these illnesses.

That's really only for a medical professional and their patient to decide on, we really can't do anything more for you here than that..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Im on Brintellix for anxiety & im on 15mg but that was my choice to move up to that amount, I requested a higher dose.
    Your doctor is unlikely to prescribe you 15 or 20, they'll likely start you off on 5 or 10 and see how you get on, they might move you up a dose if you request it & depending on how you feel but it can take 6 - 8 weeks for a dose to settle so you'd probably be giving it a month atleast on each dose before moving up.
    I dont mean to give medical advice, I hope my reply doesnt come across that way, what im trying to say is no one here can give you an answer as your experience could be different to someone elses.
    Everyone is different, some people with sever anxiety feel that 10 mg is enough for them, some people feel that Brintellix doesn't help their anxiety at all, some people need take this with other meds to help their anxiety. Its subjective I think. If you think a dose is working well for you, keep going with it, if your doctor advises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭apache

Anybody ever been prescribed Buspar for anxiety and did it help?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

What to do when you're in a job you absolutely loathe. Not so much the job itself, i.e. the daily tasks, but more so the hours, the nights, the absolute lazy buffoons you call your colleagues when your dog could be more competent than them. Location wise? Perfect, 20 minutes by the time I leave the door until I sit at me desk. Very good pay and job security. But the cons weigh far more than the pros. Affecting how I eat, how I sleep. Quality of life takes a heavy hit.

Be good everyone. No, don't be good. Be well. Be WELL.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

jaxxx wrote:
    What to do when you're in a job you absolutely loathe. Not so much the job itself, i.e. the daily tasks, but more so the hours, the nights, the absolute lazy buffoons you call your colleagues when your dog could be more competent than them. Location wise? Perfect, 20 minutes by the time I leave the door until I sit at me desk. Very good pay and job security. But the cons weigh far more than the pros. Affecting how I eat, how I sleep. Quality of life takes a heavy hit.

I had to leave a job a few years ago, it was having serious negative effects on my well being, it wasn't an easy decision, as it was a step into the unknown, but I'm really glad I did, it was an extremely toxic environment for me, but the right decision, be well

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I had to leave a job a few years ago, it was having serious negative effects on my well being, it wasn't an easy decision, as it was a step into the unknown, but I'm really glad I did, it was an extremely toxic environment for me, but the right decision, be well

I'm beginning to feel that way myself. When people sense that you have anxiety and depression, they can chip away at you till they break you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Meeoow wrote: »
    I'm beginning to feel that way myself. When people sense that you have anxiety and depression, they can chip away at you till they break you.

They are scared. Makes them feel...vulnerable. Took me years to see that. Also they feel you need to …...get over it! YOU know?

Much the same with M.E which if course is AITM so I hide away happily. Folk only see me when I am well enough to seem well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

Meeoow wrote: »

unfortunately this can be true - bullies can sense a vulnerability in people.. and they get a buzz out of making them feel small - in an attempt to make themselves feel bigger..

not saying that this is the situation for jaxx though - sounds like he has lazy colleagues and possibly has to carry the can for them

Counting down the minutes until I've to get out of bed

Counting down the minutes until I've to get out of bed

I've started covering over my clock so I'm not clock watching, think it's working

Now counting down the minutes until work finishes :)

Now counting down the minutes until work finishes :)

If someone told me this was the circle of life when i was a kid i would have stayed a kid forever!

• Advertisement

Sleep's gone to s**t this week. Been waking at 2 am, some mornings-then sleeping 20 hours the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dogmum89

Really struggling with sleep at the minute. Previously I would fall asleep no problem and then wake in the middle of the night for a couple of hours and fall asleep again. Lately Its physically trying to fall asleep is the issue. It was after 3am before I fell asleep last night and I was awake again before 8am. Its like a vicious circle, when my sleep cycle isnt good my anxiety and depression seem worse. I think Ive developed ocd now as well, hair pulling has become a new ritual and I now have a small patch of missing hair, which is making me anxious of what people are thinking when they see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Dogmum89 wrote: »
    Really struggling with sleep at the minute. Previously I would fall asleep no problem and then wake in the middle of the night for a couple of hours and fall asleep again. Lately Its physically trying to fall asleep is the issue. It was after 3am before I fell asleep last night and I was awake again before 8am. Its like a vicious circle, when my sleep cycle isnt good my anxiety and depression seem worse. I think Ive developed ocd now as well, hair pulling has become a new ritual and I now have a small patch of missing hair, which is making me anxious of what people are thinking when they see it.

Sorry to hear this, im experiencing the very same thing with my sleep cycle, it was after 3am last night that I fell asleep and I also woke up just before 8am. Im awake but feeling mentally drained and lethargic. Its been like this now for weeks & it's beyond annoying. If you find any solutions please leave an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bartybull

Need some help.
    My mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer last June. With the lockdown etc she hasn't left the house in over a year due to a combination of physical illness and mental illness. This has taken a severe toll on her. Always a happy socially active woman, Unfortunately she has been diagnosed with a severe case of clinical depression. It should have been dealt with earlier but it was hard to spot given her physical illness. What started as anxiety about lots of things has spiraled out of control to the point where she had paranoia, delusions of being watched, became very suspicious of some of her loved ones and a belief that all her appliances were broken and dangerous, bank accounts compromised. Etc
    Thankfully she is now getting help and it on a low dose tablet for anxiety and a tablet for psychosis.
    A couple of questions for those who may have had symptoms like these before if that's okay.

I find it difficult to persuade her to take her medication as prescribed. She often complains that she has stomach issues and feels like nothing is real on this medication. I would have thought they would ease those symptoms and not cause them. Are these just excuses not to take them because I know she doesn't believe they will help her? I just want to see her get some relief from the torment she is showing lately

As a family we take it in turns to spend nights in her house. She has a new set of worries/paranoid delusions every night that are completely irrational. I am able to ease her mind about some of these worries, prove they are okay but she has had angry outbursts at other times when I didn't verify what she was worried about. Any thoughts on how best to deal with this? If I agree with her I am only feeding her worry with a lie for an easy life. If I disagree it can lead to her becoming very upset and panicky.
    The doctor told us the tablets should take about 6 weeks to have an effect and she has showed sighs of improvement from psychosis but she is still very down and can be very anxious.
    Any suggestions are welcome.

Bartybull wrote: »
    Need some help.
    My mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer last June. With the lockdown etc she hasn't left the house in over a year due to a combination of physical illness and mental illness. This has taken a severe toll on her. Always a happy socially active woman, Unfortunately she has been diagnosed with a severe case of clinical depression. It should have been dealt with earlier but it was hard to spot given her physical illness. What started as anxiety about lots of things has spiraled out of control to the point where she had paranoia, delusions of being watched, became very suspicious of some of her loved ones and a belief that all her appliances were broken and dangerous, bank accounts compromised. Etc
    Thankfully she is now getting help and it on a low dose tablet for anxiety and a tablet for psychosis.
    A couple of questions for those who may have had symptoms like these before if that's okay.

I find it difficult to persuade her to take her medication as prescribed. She often complains that she has stomach issues and feels like nothing is real on this medication. I would have thought they would ease those symptoms and not cause them. Are these just excuses not to take them because I know she doesn't believe they will help her? I just want to see her get some relief from the torment she is showing lately

As a family we take it in turns to spend nights in her house. She has a new set of worries/paranoid delusions every night that are completely irrational. I am able to ease her mind about some of these worries, prove they are okay but she has had angry outbursts at other times when I didn't verify what she was worried about. Any thoughts on how best to deal with this? If I agree with her I am only feeding her worry with a lie for an easy life. If I disagree it can lead to her becoming very upset and panicky.
    The doctor told us the tablets should take about 6 weeks to have an effect and she has showed sighs of improvement from psychosis but she is still very down and can be very anxious.
    Any suggestions are welcome.

Hi Bartybull,

The difficulty with your mum's condition is that cancer can play havoc with pretty much everything in your body.
    My father was diagnosed with terminal cancer many years ago, succumbing to the disease 12 months after his diagnosis.
    It messed with his mind also, often giving him erratic moods. He was suffering from seizures too, and every seizure left him confused afterwards.
    Sometimes he would get upset and panicked too.

The medication takes time to work-it can take 6 to 8 weeks for the meds to start to take hold. Your mum's condition may affect this, I don't know-I'm not a medical expert.

I know the situation you're in is very difficult. It's easier said than done, but patience with your mother is important. She's in a very difficult situation right now, and her condition may exacerbate her mental health.

If needs be, you may need to discuss some of these things with her doctor. Often, with terminal diagnosis, there's this feeling of wanting to get 'everything done' before passing.

Bartybull wrote:
    Need some help. My mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer last June. With the lockdown etc she hasn't left the house in over a year due to a combination of physical illness and mental illness. This has taken a severe toll on her. Always a happy socially active woman, Unfortunately she has been diagnosed with a severe case of clinical depression. It should have been dealt with earlier but it was hard to spot given her physical illness. What started as anxiety about lots of things has spiraled out of control to the point where she had paranoia, delusions of being watched, became very suspicious of some of her loved ones and a belief that all her appliances were broken and dangerous, bank accounts compromised. Etc Thankfully she is now getting help and it on a low dose tablet for anxiety and a tablet for psychosis. A couple of questions for those who may have had symptoms like these before if that's okay.

This is an incredible difficult situation for you and your family, I'm sorry I don't have much advice, but my father died of cancer many years ago, he to became very depressed during his illness, refusing to take anti-depressants, he was also prone to it and anxiety. it was deeply upsetting to watch him deteriorate, and the fact both of us had undiagnosed autism, made it even more difficult. Please look after your own well being, consider counselling for yourself, I don't know how we got through it as a family, without someone ending up in hospital with a breakdown, without a doubt the most painful and stressful period of my life, best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

Anyone develop severe migraine as a result of anxiety?
    Some of the stuff I read talks about anxiety as a result of migraine and that seems very logical. But any cases of the opposite?

Some of the stuff I read talks about anxiety as a result of migraine and that seems very logical. But any cases of the opposite?

i think nearly anything is possible from anxiety, stress your mind enough, and weird sh1t happens, im fairly sure i experience sinus related issues due to anxiety

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭apache

apache wrote: »
    Anybody ever been prescribed Buspar for anxiety and did it help?
    Also called Buspirone. It's unfortunately not covered under DPS so it costs about €50 extra a month while still spending €114 a month.

I got a months supply anyway to try it. Not sure what to do. I've spent my money on worse things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Yep.

One thing I’m only learning now with Migraines, is that The symptoms are extremely extensive. I can have a migraine with no real headache. Here’s a list of things I’ve recorded in migraine buddy (that others record):

- fatigue
    - low mood
    - irritability
    - sensitive to light/sound/touch
    - brain fog, hard to concentrate
    - blurry vision
    - eye strain
    - nausea
    - tinnitus
    - upset stomach
    - anxiety
    - pain in head
    - frequent urination
    - extreme hunger

I’ve had all these symptoms rotating since 15th March. This is probably my longest running migraine. The insidious nature of it is that some days I may only get some of these symptoms in a mild manner that can make you think it’s all grand.

I’ve spent decades on mental health and sleep issue solutions. I’ve know since a teenager that I get migraines but only recently to the degree they are having on my life. A lot of the symptoms above can be treated as anxiety but I think migraines may be playing a bigger role then I had realised.

I’m also exploring ADHD, which is very misunderstood from what I’m reading and probably not as straight forward as the majority of people believe.

As far as I am concerned I’m turning over every stone I can to figure out why life can feel so hard some days and easy on others. The difference of 24 hours can be like like going from winning the lottery to losing your family. I work hard on my mental health so it’s not for Want of trying.

Advertisement